Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Ranking Wolves Managers of the 20th C

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
EDIT: YES, I MEANT 21sT C

Now the transfer window has (almost) slammed shut/gently closed, I thought I'd start some new fun/controversy. Let's rank Wolves managers of the 20th Century, and see of we can get to 700+ pages of digression, argument and ITK nonsense while we're at it.

I'll go first...

13. Dean Saunders
You know the worst poster on here? They'd have done a better job than Saunders. And been less cringe.

12. Terry Connor
Sorry Terry. You clearly did a great job as a number two and you were dealt a terrible hand, but you played it abysmally.

11. Walter Zenga
Newcastle away was fun. And he was fun. But also crap.

10. Stale Solbakken
Right manager. Wrong time, wrong players.

9. Glenn Hoddle
My God we were dull. Sterile nothing ball. In some ways ahead of his time; in some ways playing Carl Cort as a winger.

8. Paul Lambert
Did an important job in stabilising us after Zenga and before the taps got turned on. Some amazing away days too. But uninspiring, belligerent and had some weird vendetta against Saiss.

7. Colin Lee
Workmanlike midfield shuffling the ball out wide to Andy Sinton, crossing it in for Akinbiyi. Lovely. Failing that, Neil Emblen up top. A different era. Effective, but never quite enough to make the play-offs.

6. Bruno Lage
Remember Brunoball? That was fun, for three games and no points. Sensibly went pragmatic, then couldn't get out of that funk. Think the job he did in his first season was underrated: we were struggling when he came in, big time.

5. Julen Lopetegui
So long. Thanks for the pizza, and for keeping us up, but you won't really be missed.

4. Dave Jones
Probably should have got that 02/03 squad up automatically but superb in the cup and play-offs. Not given enough money in the Prem, but some baffling decisions: wouldn't play Okoronkwo, dropped Oakes for Jones.

3 . Kenny Jackett
Can't overstate what a great job he did in League One. As good an appointment as Saunders was bad. Deserved a chance with Fosun's millions.

2.Mick McCarthy
Did well to keep us in the Championship, then things got better from there. Easy to forget how exciting, and cutting edge, some of the football was in the Championship. Then turned Elokobi into a Premier League footballer. Shame how it ended.

1. Nuno
Understood the club, understood the fans, understood the city. Understood how to craft an excellent team. Dreaming is for free, except when the dream is of playing a more possession-based game while still challenging for Euros.

Last edited:

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Kenny Jacket's name should be written large (not Lage...). When we were in free fall with morale broken he did a brilliant job and restored the connection between fans and the club. A decent and good man as well I believe.

The first post is an excellent summary!

Madmalc

Reaction score
The list only covers the first decades of the 21st Century, surely?
Stan Cullis was arguably the greatest manager of the 20th Century.
None on your list so far in the 21st Century is going to have both a stand named in memory of them or a statue erected.
We're still waiting for our 21st Century manager who approaches the status of Stan Cullis.

MattH

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Now the transfer window has (almost) slammed shut/gently closed, I thought I'd start some new fun/controversy. Let's rank Wolves managers of the 20th Century, and see of we can get to 700+ pages of digression, argument and ITK nonsense while we're at it.

I'll go first...

13. Dean Saunders
You know the worst poster on here? They'd have done a better job than Saunders. And been less cringe.

12. Terry Connor
Sorry Terry. You clearly did a great job as a number two and you were dealt a terrible hand, but you played it abysmally.

11. Walter Zenga

10. Stale Solbakken

9. Glenn Hoddle
My God we were dull. Sterile nothing ball. In some ways ahead of his time; in some ways playing Carl Cort as a winger.

8. Paul Lambert
Did an important job in stabilising us after Zenga and before the taps got turned on. Some amazing away days too. But uninspiring, belligerent and had some weird vendetta against Saiss.

7. Colin Lee
Workmanlike midfield shuffling the ball out wide to Andy Sinton, crossing it in for Akinbiyi. Lovely. Failing that, Neil Emblen up top. A different era. Effective, but never quite enough to make the play-offs.

6. Bruno Lage
Remember Brunoball? That was fun, for three games and no points. Sensibly went pragmatic, then couldn't get out of that funk. Think the job he did in his first season was underrated: we were struggling when he came in, big time.

5. Julen Lopetegui
So long. Thanks for the pizza, and for keeping us up, but you won't really be missed.

4. Dave Jones
Probably should have got that 02/03 squad up automatically but superb in the cup and play-offs. Not given enough money in the Prem, but some baffling decisions: wouldn't play Okoronkwo, dropped Oakes for Jones.

3 . Kenny Jackett
Can't overstate what a great job he did in League One. As good an appointment as Saunders was bad. Deserved a chance with Fosun's millions.

2.Mick McCarthy
Did well to keep us in the Championship, then things got better from there. Easy to forget how exciting, and cutting edge, some of the football was in the Championship. Then turned Elokobi into a Premier League footballer. Shame how it ended.

1. Nuno
Understood the club, understood the fans, understood the city. Understood how to craft an excellent team. Dreaming is for free, except when the dream is of playing a more possession-based game while still challenging for Euros.
Can't argue with that!

RichB

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

I'll go first...

13. Dean Saunders

12. Terry Connor

11. Walter Zenga

10. Stale Solbakken

9. Glenn Hoddle

8. Paul Lambert

7. Colin Lee

6. Bruno Lage

5. Julen Lopetegui

4. Dave Jones

3 . Kenny Jackett

2.Mick McCarthy

1. Nuno

I pretty much agree with that mate.

I’d probably switch Lambert and Lage around but aside from that it’s bang on.

Shame we can’t give Saunders penalty points and put him even worse haha….. really don’t like him. As Gary powndland would say…… *****

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Largely agree with the placings.

Whilst Nuno is top of the list and McCarthy 2nd, the reality is there is a huge gulf between the two in my opinion. McCarthy’s team scrapped and grappled just to survive in the Prem, whereas Nuno’s teams did more than survive, we thrived and but for Covid and some bad luck I think he would have collected more trophies for us.

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I'll go first...

13. Dean Saunders

12. Terry Connor

11. Walter Zenga

10. Stale Solbakken

9. Glenn Hoddle

8. Paul Lambert

7. Colin Lee

6. Bruno Lage

5. Julen Lopetegui

4. Dave Jones

3 . Kenny Jackett

2.Mick McCarthy

1. Nuno
Spot on but if we could make Saunders 14th that would be great, cheers.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd drop solbakken. You can't place someone higher based on reputation. Maybe wrong place at wrong time, but we've got no way of proving that. Palace game onwards, it was a complete disaster, wasted a generous budget.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I'll go first...

13. Dean Saunders

12. Terry Connor

11. Walter Zenga

10. Stale Solbakken

9. Glenn Hoddle

8. Paul Lambert

7. Colin Lee

6. Bruno Lage

5. Julen Lopetegui

4. Dave Jones

3 . Kenny Jackett

2.Mick McCarthy

1. Nuno
Can't reconcile the title with what you list. I assume that's the managers in your life time or time as a supporter...

The 20th Century it isn't though....

Our number one manager of all time has to be Stan Cullis. Others who would right up there are Major Buckley, Bill McGarry and John Barnwell.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Since I started:

1 Cullis
2 Turner
3 Nuno
4 Allen
5 McCarthy
I assume Turner over Nuno due to longevity? I must admit l didn't think of him but he should have been on my list.

Allen is the one who interests me. I've heard mixed views about him. Some say that McGarry basically took over and benefitted from Allen's hard work. Others say that he wasn't in the job long for a reason....

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I'll go first...

13. Dean Saunders

12. Terry Connor

11. Walter Zenga

10. Stale Solbakken

9. Glenn Hoddle

8. Paul Lambert

7. Colin Lee

6. Bruno Lage

5. Julen Lopetegui

4. Dave Jones

3 . Kenny Jackett

2.Mick McCarthy

1. Nuno
Hard to argue against that really. Personality wise for a strange reason I really liked Zenga, but he was mental. Saunders and TC bring me out in a cold sweat.....Solbakken, guilty of trying somewhat didn't suit our players. Nuno...enough said really, but I think he and Jackett are the 2 I look back on with most fondness.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My lifetime
1. Turner
2. Nuno
3. Barnwell
Turner all day long for me (and in keeping with the thread title). Resurrected this club from its darkest hour on a shoestring and his legacy still shines to this very day.

Nuno's 17-19 vintage were memorable but that band of brothers from 87-89 are etched on my heart

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I assume Turner over Nuno due to longevity? I must admit l didn't think of him but he should have been on my list.

Allen is the one who interests me. I've heard mixed views about him. Some say that McGarry basically took over and benefitted from Allen's hard work. Others say that he wasn't in the job long for a reason....
My opinion Allen knew his stuff but maybe a bit of a nice guy, McGarry came and fine tuned added discipline and was a success, but didn’t have the ability to refresh the players as they aged

Baboon

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I dread to think where the club would be right now if it hadn't been for Turner. If we think back to when he took over, much of the ground was closed, gates were down below 5,000 and we were a mediocre club in Division 4. His signing of Bully, who became an England international and a club legend, was arguably the best bit of business in our history. There were many other inspired signings too who made significant contributions to our rise from the Football League basement to an established club in Division 2. We also had the Sherpa Van Trophy to celebrate. All this when the club was skint. We owe so much to Turner.

That's not to detract from Nuno's achievements, but he did have the benefit of Fosun's money and Mendes's influence.

Ronnie Allen was successful in reviving the fortunes of the club in the post-Cullis era and his teams played with great style. He was shrewd in the transfer market and we were treated to a forward line of Wharton, Hunt, Dougan, Knowles and Wagstaffe. Other signings (Munro, Bailey, Hibbitt etc.) were the foundation of McGarry's team. McGarry's achievements were modest having in mind the talent he was fortunate enough to inherit.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I dread to think where the club would be right now if it hadn't been for Turner. If we think back to when he took over, much of the ground was closed, gates were down below 5,000 and we were a mediocre club in Division 4. His signing of Bully, who became an England international and a club legend, was arguably the best bit of business in our history. There were many other inspired signings too who made significant contributions to our rise from the Football League basement to an established club in Division 2. We also had the Sherpa Van Trophy to celebrate. All this when the club was skint. We owe so much to Turner.

That's not to detract from Nuno's achievements, but he did have the benefit of Fosun's money and Mendes's influence.

Ronnie Allen was successful in reviving the fortunes of the club in the post-Cullis era and his teams played with great style. He was shrewd in the transfer market and we were treated to a forward line of Wharton, Hunt, Dougan, Knowles and Wagstaffe. Other signings (Munro, Bailey, Hibbitt etc.) were the foundation of McGarry's team. McGarry's achievements were modest having in mind the talent he was fortunate enough to inherit.
TY for the response. I was there in the Turner era and agree.

Teddy Ruxpin

Groupie
Reaction score
I liked Turner, but he was pretty limited, although my history with wolves starts after the turn around

Nuno was the best for me by a country mile, then McCarthy it's easy to overlook what he achieved with a shoestring budget (even for the time) and some of the football was the best I've seen until Nuno came along and teleported us to another level.

TC had the rather sticky end of a very smelly stick and was nothing more than malaise from the owner so I don't judge him.

Saunders was a massive dick who shouldn't be anywhere near football let alone the club I love

Jackett did an excellent job and whilst he sort of lost the plot at the end the job he did for us was amazing in League 1 given how toxic the club had got.

Jones whilst he gave us a day to remember was never really up to much.

Hoddle was a coward who probably created more alcoholics in Wolverhampton than anything else.

Taylor created an exciting team but as with most wolves sides of the time the injuries and general attitude of the squad had to be questioned

Zenga was an absolute chancer who somehow managed a gig through a self serving agent.

McGhee (ugh) Lee and others are pretty much all in the benial pot of underachievement that haunted so much of our recent history.

woop woop barmy army

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What about Steve Davis? Rob Edwards, mention for the caretakers.

Spot on in standings tho.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Obviously this thread was intended to discuss managers in this century, the 21st, which started with Colin Lee, all managers prior to this shouldn’t be discussed in here.

Is it worth deleting the thread and starting again?

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What about Steve Davis? Rob Edwards, mention for the caretakers.

Spot on in standings tho.
Quick 21stC caretaker ranking:

1. Colin Lee (started as caretaker with the 6-1 win at Bristol C, overshadowed by Wolfie fighting the pigs)

2. John Ward

3. Stuart Gray

4. Steve Davis

5. Rob Edwards

6. Terry Connor

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Largely agree with the placings.

Whilst Nuno is top of the list and McCarthy 2nd, the reality is there is a huge gulf between the two in my opinion. McCarthy’s team scrapped and grappled just to survive in the Prem, whereas Nuno’s teams did more than survive, we thrived and but for Covid and some bad luck I think he would have collected more trophies for us.
True, but I don’t think that is a negative reflection on Mick. We were never in a position to compete financially back then and 17th was the goal in every season

Premier Quality

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I’d have Hoddle just above Saunders - he had a squad good enough to get us up but just could not be *****, and player sterile football with no end product.

He then gave his brother a new contract and ****ed off on the eve of the new season.

Absolute ****er.

Topcat

Groupie
Reaction score
Basically, all of them got the sack whether justified or not according to opinion?!

Sir Alex Ferguson is the only manager that springs to mind who actually retired with good grace!

Back
Top Bottom