Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Quality strikers

Huyton W88lvo

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think we have missed out . When I look at the transfer window business I think we needed at least one finisher as most on here would agree. Everton have Beto, Forest have Origi and Sheffield Utd have Archer . These 3 sides are our direct competition imo . Probably only Luton have a weaker front line than us . As we all know Cunha is a support act to a number 9 currently Fabio Silva . I really hope he proves me and many others wrong- those on here who recognise the attributes a very good finisher need .

Will Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Sasa is going to get goals IMO but yes we do need another CF

That Dia we looked at has a good record but can’t see us getting him now, they won’t want to do business with Wolves.

Would have liked to have signed Akpom, has gone to Ajax for £10m, top scorer in the championship last season

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A fair OP. In theory we have roughly 100m invested in our three centre forwards, but we all know that this doesn’t tell the full story. Would have liked Archer and/or Akpom from the summer window business, but realistically that would have required at least Fabio heading out for a decent price. If Sasa can stay fit most of the time (a big if) then I think we are stronger than we’ve been since Raul was injured, and I think he plus Cunha should be decent. But I’m not convinced by Fabio yet, Sasa’s fitness is a big risk, and Fraser needs a season in L1 or the Champ.

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We do need another striker but of those players mentioned.

Beto maybe a good signing but as we've seen with players coming from Italy the Premier League is difficult to adapt to, his record isn't as good as Sasa's was in Germany.

Origi scored twice in 36 appearances for AC Milan so he's not exactly been prolific since leaving Liverpool (I'm not sure on his minutes)

Cameron Archer is an unknown quantity yes he scored the weekend but I'd question why a good manager like Emery would've let him go.

It's happened in the past when we've been envious of other teams such as Everton a lot of the big names have amounted to next to nothing, imagine if we had signed James Rodriguez on the wages Everton would have been paying him, the amount of people who said Ings would've kept us up last year when he went to West Ham and did very little.

I wouldn't read to much into what other teams have done, some transfers will be a success others a massive failure.

ManSolo

Reaction score
We do need another striker but
Origi scored twice in 36 appearances for AC Milan so he's not exactly been prolific since leaving Liverpool (I'm not sure on his minutes)

Origi's last season at AC

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230906-183457744 (1).jpg
    Screenshot_20230906-183457744 (1).jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 83

Snarlingwolf

Groupie
Reaction score
IMO, from what I’ve seen, we could do with a specific quality coach for the forwards that we’ve now got available.

They need to be rigorously coached and every day to be practicing shooting, particularly hitting a moving ball first time, volleying, heading, and positional play in all the usual scenarios in a match.

It all boils down to basics.

At the moment, IMO, most of our forwards cannot do the basics.

Laughable really when you consider the wages they’ll be on.

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
IMO, from what I’ve seen, we could do with a specific quality coach for the forwards that we’ve now got available.

They need to be rigorously coached and every day to be practicing shooting, particularly hitting a moving ball first time, volleying, heading, and positional play in all the usual scenarios in a match.

It all boils down to basics.

At the moment, IMO, most of our forwards cannot do the basics.

Laughable really when you consider the wages they’ll be on.
Apparently the coaching team are well ahead of you, mate... we've just stocked up on barn doors, banjos and cows arses!!! ;)

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cunha
Silva Sasa Neto

How can we accommodate them in this system? With 5 forwards on the pitch we will naturally score more goals and outscoring teams will become an option

Sa
Doc Bueno Toti
Lemina Bellegarde
Cunha Neto
Silva Sasa Hwang

Strikers id try and sign

Boulaye Dia €15m
Jonas Wind €20m
Abel Ruiz €10m
Ermedin Demirovic €15m

All realistic targets

But I’d honestly try and throw Fraser or Farmer into the mix they are capable if given an opportunity they know where the net is

Last edited:

Burford T Justice

Reaction score
Cunha
Silva Sasa Neto

How can we accommodate them in this system? With 5 forwards on the pitch we will naturally score more goals and outscoring teams will become an option

Sa
Doc Bueno Toti
Lemina Bellegarde
Cunha Neto
Silva Sasa Hwang
You aren't outscoring anyone with that defence. You would need 5 goals a game

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Where did Milan finish last season?

The other 2 players happen to play in the worst attacking side in their league
Yes, they scored more than twice as many goals as us, we don't make the chances, but equally that's sometimes because strikers have to make their own chances. I think Cunha is quality and Fabio is giving it his all, I really hoped for him after Man U, I think in a side dominating games he would be handy, but once we get deep and he gets isolated he doesn't offer much.

Anyway Sasa's at 61, just need to keep him fit and keep that up! (Considering the whole team struggles to hit 90!)

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we have missed out . When I look at the transfer window business I think we needed at least one finisher as most on here would agree. Everton have Beto, Forest have Origi and Sheffield Utd have Archer . These 3 sides are our direct competition imo . Probably only Luton have a weaker front line than us . As we all know Cunha is a support act to a number 9 currently Fabio Silva . I really hope he proves me and many others wrong- those on here who recognise the attributes a very good finisher need .
No idea why fabio played behind cunha against palace

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Sasa is going to get goals IMO but yes we do need another CF

That Dia we looked at has a good record but can’t see us getting him now, they won’t want to do business with Wolves.

Would have liked to have signed Akpom, has gone to Ajax for £10m, top scorer in the championship last season

Neil Warnock found it very amusing what Ajax paid for Akpom.

To say last season was an outlier in terms of his performances is an understatement.

Be interesting to see how he does for Ajax.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No idea why fabio played behind cunha against palace
Bizarre tactics from gaz made Fabio totally anonymous throughout despite him have a few totally banana shots in the first half

Cunha and Fabio need to play next to a target man, someone for them to play off rather than doing it themselves. Again we aren’t playing to their strengths

Sasa and Fabio would work better than Cunha and Fabio

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Unironically think we should 'gerrrit in the mixer' more to be fair.
ALL OF OUR LEAGUE GOALS HAVE BEEN HEADERS!!!

541 and big boot up to Sasa is the way clearly!!

Sa
Doc Kilman Bueno Toti RAN
Gomes Lemina Bouby Bellegarde
Sasa

BIG BOOT TO SASA!!

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Bizarre tactics from gaz made Fabio totally anonymous throughout despite him have a few totally banana shots in the first half

Cunha and Fabio need to play next to a target man, someone for them to play off rather than doing it themselves. Again we aren’t playing to their strengths

Sasa and Fabio would work better than Cunha and Fabio
I think Cunha’s best asset is his ability to burst forward with the ball at pace. He did this a number of times against Man Utd. Finishing however isn’t as clinical as Hwang’s. I think Cunha could be that ball carrying midfielder we worried about losing when Nunes left. Forward wise I’d go with whoever’s fit and in the best form out of Hwang, Sasa and Silva.

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think Cunha’s best asset is his ability to burst forward with the ball at pace. He did this a number of times against Man Utd. Finishing however isn’t as clinical as Hwang’s. I think Cunha could be that ball carrying midfielder we worried about losing when Nunes left. Forward wise I’d go with whoever’s fit and in the best form out of Hwang, Sasa and Silva.

I think Cunha is a bit like Joelinton in that we are unsure of his best position.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I coach in the Central Warwickshire Girls Football League and I swear to god I see better finishers there than Fabio.

Big Sas tho… he’s money. Just got to keep him fit.

I also think Hwang is a good finisher. But he’s a Liniker level finisher trapped inside of a Sunday league level footballer.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What Iwan Roberts, Steve Claridge, Sami Al Jaber, Joe Mason, Ionel Ganea, Glen Crowe, Havard Flo, Lee Mills doing these days?
With any sense, sitting on a sun lounger and sipping a Pina Colada with one eye on their unit trusts.
The ghosts of Molineux past, eh.
Did I once see Ganea score a penalty at Newcastle or has this fine bottle of Sancerre that I'm consuming clouded my memory?

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In h
If Sasa stays fit and if our coach doesn't play him as a no.10, he'll get 15+ goals IMHO
Is career for us or this season. If he gets 15+ goals this season then he will be sold if fit for £70million in the summer

woop woop barmy army

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With any sense, sitting on a sun lounger and sipping a Pina Colada with one eye on their unit trusts.
The ghosts of Molineux past, eh.
Did I once see Ganea score a penalty at Newcastle or has this fine bottle of Sancerre that I'm consuming clouded my memory?
Jesus I knew he was bad, but didn't realise he was this bad, didn't he get sent off playing for us with a head butt?

At the beginning of his career, while playing at FC Brașov, Ganea beat up the team captain Dorel Purdea.[4][5][6][7][8][9]

During his stay at U Craiova, Ganea was involved in several controversies. Ganea kicked his teammate Cornel Frăsineanu in the mouth, which left him without a few teeth and for a while he had to eat using a straw.[5][6][7][10][11][12][13] Eugen Trică tried to calm him down but Ionel threatened to beat him too so Trică backed off.[10][12][13] He also had a fight with Silvian Cristescu who threw a massage table at his head.[5][6][8] On 2 May 1998 Rapid Bucureștineeded to win the match against U Craiova in order to be sure that they win the Liga I title so they agreed with George Ilinca who was U Craiova's owner to let them win the game. Some players, including Ionel Ganea did not agree to take part in the arrangement, the game ended 2–2 with both of U Craiova's goals being scored by Ganea, and the title was won by Steaua București.[14][15][16]

At VfB Stuttgart he had a fight with teammate Jochen Seitz, for which he was punished by the club with a 10.000 marks fine.[6][17] One day Ganea was eating an ice cream and coach Felix Magath saw him and told him that he shouldn't be eating food that contains too many calories because he has weight issues, Ganea got mad and threw the ice cream at him.[5][6][7][11]

In a match at Euro 2000 against England Ionel was tackled hard by Sol Campbell but the referee did not take any measure against him, so Ionel waited for Campbell to get close to him and when none of the referees were watching he hit him and cussed him: "************! Bitch!".[18][19] In 2001, he had a fight with the goalkeeper Stelea in a training session that took part before a RomaniaItaly game.[7][11][20] During the match with the Italians, the striker was one step away from hitting his coach László Bölöni, because he was mad that the coach left him on the bench.[5][6][7][8][11][21] During Romania's cantonment for the 2002 World Cup qualification play-off against Slovenia, Ganea played rummy on money with Daniel Chiriță and feeling that Chiriță was cheating, he punched him in the eye, afterwards jumping on him to beat him, before the other teammates intervened to stop him.[22] While playing for Romania against Scotland in April 2004, he tackled Celtic defender John Kennedy resulting in a knee injury that left Kennedy unable to play for three years. Kennedy has since been forced to retire from professional football as a result of this and subsequent injuries.[4][23]

Steven Gerrard's autobiography contains an episode about an incident between him and Ionel Ganea in a WolverhamptonLiverpool game played in January 2004: "He tore my leg from the knee to the ankle. Under the puttee, my leg was cut deep, a nasty wound". After finding out what Gerrard wrote about him in his autobiography Ganea told the press:"I inform Gerrard that when I write my autobiography, I will not mention him. I will not have room for little girls".[8][18][19][24][25] In April 2006 he was involved in more controversy when he criticised the Wolverhampton Wanderers manager at that time, Glenn Hoddle, claiming "he is the most difficult manager I have worked with in my career".[26] Glenn Hoddle also fined him with a one-week salary for fighting at a training session with a teammate.[27][28]

While playing for Rapid București in a match against U Craiova he hit opponent's Michael Baird's mouth with his head during half-time.[5][6][8][11]

In August 2007 after a Unirea UrziceniPolitehnica Timișoara game the striker had a conflict with the president of Unirea Urziceni Mihai Stoica, with Ganea grabbing him by the neck until the Gendarmery officers separated them.[5][11] One week later, Ganea was banned for 22 matches, which were later reduced to 16, after attacking one of the assistant referees after being sent off during a match between his club Politehnica Timișoara and Rapid București.[11][29][30] In his first match played against CFR Cluj after executing the 16 match suspension, he had a verbal conflict with former U Craiova teammate Eugen Trică before the beginning of the match, being close to start a fight after the end of the match.[30][31]

In 2012 while attending at Ioan Drăgan's funeral, who was his wedding's Godfather and a former FC Brașov teammate he almost got into a fight with the priest, being unsatisfied of the way he was preaching.[4][5]

While coaching Universitatea Cluj he was accused by player Cristian Mureșan of beating him up but Ganea denied the incident.[32][33][34]

During his coaching period at FC Voluntari after a 1–0 victory against CSMS Iași he had a conflict with a female journalist named Alina Iosub in which he offended and cussed her, she also threatened him by saying that if he comes to Botoșani, he won't leave there alive.[9][35][36]

His wife, Dana, with which he was married for over 24 years accused him of physical and verbal domestic violence and filled for divorce several times, also asking for a restraining order against him.[37][38][39][40]

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jesus I knew he was bad, but didn't realise he was this bad, didn't he get sent off playing for us with a head butt?

At the beginning of his career, while playing at FC Brașov, Ganea beat up the team captain Dorel Purdea.[4][5][6][7][8][9]

During his stay at U Craiova, Ganea was involved in several controversies. Ganea kicked his teammate Cornel Frăsineanu in the mouth, which left him without a few teeth and for a while he had to eat using a straw.[5][6][7][10][11][12][13] Eugen Trică tried to calm him down but Ionel threatened to beat him too so Trică backed off.[10][12][13] He also had a fight with Silvian Cristescu who threw a massage table at his head.[5][6][8] On 2 May 1998 Rapid Bucureștineeded to win the match against U Craiova in order to be sure that they win the Liga I title so they agreed with George Ilinca who was U Craiova's owner to let them win the game. Some players, including Ionel Ganea did not agree to take part in the arrangement, the game ended 2–2 with both of U Craiova's goals being scored by Ganea, and the title was won by Steaua București.[14][15][16]

At VfB Stuttgart he had a fight with teammate Jochen Seitz, for which he was punished by the club with a 10.000 marks fine.[6][17] One day Ganea was eating an ice cream and coach Felix Magath saw him and told him that he shouldn't be eating food that contains too many calories because he has weight issues, Ganea got mad and threw the ice cream at him.[5][6][7][11]

In a match at Euro 2000 against England Ionel was tackled hard by Sol Campbell but the referee did not take any measure against him, so Ionel waited for Campbell to get close to him and when none of the referees were watching he hit him and cussed him: "************! Bitch!".[18][19] In 2001, he had a fight with the goalkeeper Stelea in a training session that took part before a RomaniaItaly game.[7][11][20] During the match with the Italians, the striker was one step away from hitting his coach László Bölöni, because he was mad that the coach left him on the bench.[5][6][7][8][11][21] During Romania's cantonment for the 2002 World Cup qualification play-off against Slovenia, Ganea played rummy on money with Daniel Chiriță and feeling that Chiriță was cheating, he punched him in the eye, afterwards jumping on him to beat him, before the other teammates intervened to stop him.[22] While playing for Romania against Scotland in April 2004, he tackled Celtic defender John Kennedy resulting in a knee injury that left Kennedy unable to play for three years. Kennedy has since been forced to retire from professional football as a result of this and subsequent injuries.[4][23]

Steven Gerrard's autobiography contains an episode about an incident between him and Ionel Ganea in a WolverhamptonLiverpool game played in January 2004: "He tore my leg from the knee to the ankle. Under the puttee, my leg was cut deep, a nasty wound". After finding out what Gerrard wrote about him in his autobiography Ganea told the press:"I inform Gerrard that when I write my autobiography, I will not mention him. I will not have room for little girls".[8][18][19][24][25] In April 2006 he was involved in more controversy when he criticised the Wolverhampton Wanderers manager at that time, Glenn Hoddle, claiming "he is the most difficult manager I have worked with in my career".[26] Glenn Hoddle also fined him with a one-week salary for fighting at a training session with a teammate.[27][28]

While playing for Rapid București in a match against U Craiova he hit opponent's Michael Baird's mouth with his head during half-time.[5][6][8][11]

In August 2007 after a Unirea UrziceniPolitehnica Timișoara game the striker had a conflict with the president of Unirea Urziceni Mihai Stoica, with Ganea grabbing him by the neck until the Gendarmery officers separated them.[5][11] One week later, Ganea was banned for 22 matches, which were later reduced to 16, after attacking one of the assistant referees after being sent off during a match between his club Politehnica Timișoara and Rapid București.[11][29][30] In his first match played against CFR Cluj after executing the 16 match suspension, he had a verbal conflict with former U Craiova teammate Eugen Trică before the beginning of the match, being close to start a fight after the end of the match.[30][31]

In 2012 while attending at Ioan Drăgan's funeral, who was his wedding's Godfather and a former FC Brașov teammate he almost got into a fight with the priest, being unsatisfied of the way he was preaching.[4][5]

While coaching Universitatea Cluj he was accused by player Cristian Mureșan of beating him up but Ganea denied the incident.[32][33][34]

During his coaching period at FC Voluntari after a 1–0 victory against CSMS Iași he had a conflict with a female journalist named Alina Iosub in which he offended and cussed her, she also threatened him by saying that if he comes to Botoșani, he won't leave there alive.[9][35][36]

His wife, Dana, with which he was married for over 24 years accused him of physical and verbal domestic violence and filled for divorce several times, also asking for a restraining order against him.[37][38][39][40]
Crikey !!

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Sounds like if he hadn't been a footballer he'd had spent a lot of time in jail.

Back
Top Bottom