Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Quality of the championship this year

Ewok vs Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe its just me but I cant say ive been overly impressed with any teams this year, even Cardiff i thought they had a better side a couple of years ago.

I cant decide whether the championship is full of teams that are all half decent and so take points off each other or that the league is just poor overall.
It really speaks volumes for how bad we have been

Surrey Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd say it's full of teams who are inconsistent, low points total for promotion/playoffs & higher points total for relegation

Wolf Pack leader

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The quality of fgootball in this league has been very poor this season.

The only difference between top and bottom is consistancy

F

FLEET WOLF

Some would call it a very competive league, which is hardly what you would call the PL, other than a few teams trying to grasp CL positions or avoid relegation.

PREM.L.L

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Haven't been really impressed with anyone. Many lathered themselves over Watford but they hardly been unbeatable, Brighton have spluttered a bit between very good to average.

Stand out maybe for me have been maybe Freedmans Palace and Bolton. But they were/are capable of very mediocre under him.

It seems to have been a case of best of an average bunch.

WS10Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season 2013-14
Reaction score
I said on the verdict thread, but the fact that Charlton are in the top half shows you what an average/poor league it is. It's exciting for a neutral I guess, with everyone taking points off each other, and with so few points separating a whole posse of teams.

Manic88

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I said this a few weeks ago, Cardiff are the best team in the championship but they've got some great players rather than being a great team like Wigan 04/05, Reading 05/6 or Wolves 08/09 where (admitidly we stumbled a bit) when they steamrollered as a team to promotion

L

luckyjim

If we had kept Jarvis, Kightly and Fletcher, alongside the players that Solbakken had signed I think we could have convincingly won this league, the standard is so poor.

There was simply no written law stating we had to let those players go. Other big teams who went down like Newcastle and West Ham kept the nucleus of their quality players, but no doubt a "small" club like Wolves in their minds had to sell. As if we were like $$$$ing Burnley and Blackpool. It certainly makes you wonder if Jez's remuneration is influenced by such short-term decisions.

What we've seen is another damning example of Laurel and Hardy chasing short-term profit which will ultimately turn out to be a false-economy. They could have assembled a team that was invincible and yet chose to handicap themselves from the start. Just one quality team in the championship would have put the rest of the teams to the sword, and that includes Cardiff.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Mr Zuki

If we had kept Jarvis, Kightly and Fletcher, alongside the players that Solbakken had signed I think we could have convincingly won this league, the standard is so poor.

There was simply no written law stating we had to let those players go. Other big teams who went down like Newcastle and West Ham kept the nucleus of their quality players, but no doubt a "small" club like Wolves in their minds had to sell. As if we were like $$$$ing Burnley and Blackpool. It certainly makes you wonder if Jez's remuneration is influenced by such short-term decisions.

What we've seen is another damning example of Laurel and Hardy chasing short-term profit which will ultimately turn out to be a false-economy. They could have assembled a team that was invincible and yet chose to handicap themselves from the start. Just one quality team in the championship would have put the rest of the teams to the sword, and that includes Cardiff.

They all wanted to go in search of the Premier league dollar. How would you have set about keeping them?

L

luckyjim

They all wanted to go in search of the Premier league dollar. How would you have set about keeping them?

Easy. Just don't sell them! Just say no! How difficult is that? They could only have left with our permission; they weren't out of contract.

jackdusty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have seen all the home games and 8 away and no team has impressed me,unfortunately we are the same.Cardiff at their place were ok but that's been about it.

Big Mack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Having seen the home games, one player stood out for me. Tom Ince. A few decent performances, but as others have said, no team has really impressed. Makes the situation we're in all the harder to take.

1908radford

full of average teams that are all capable of winning on the day...watford probably looked the most impressive to me when on song this season but even they have been poor at times..

PREM.L.L

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Easy. Just don't sell them! Just say no! How difficult is that? They could only have left with our permission; they weren't out of contract.

Agreed, but if they want to go, they go. It isn't right but that's the way it is.

Otherwise you could have disgruntled players in an un unified squad, possibly not giving 100% and not fighting for the cause.

Money rules the game these days, not principals, and the game is poorer for it.

D

Deleted member 3545

Newcastle and West Ham did have to sell some of their players. dont forget also Newcastle didnt have a cut in wages clause in their players contracts when they were relegated.
Also Newcastle and West Ham are much bigger clubs then Wolves and i guess find it easier to hold onto players than the likes Wolves.

D

Deleted member 3545

Agreed, but if they want to go, they go. It isn't right but that's the way it is.

Otherwise you could have disgruntled players in an un unified squad, possibly not giving 100% and not fighting for the cause.

true or they go on strike just like the African player of the year did the last time Wolves were relegated.
You cannot keep or it is very hard to keep players who dont want to stay/play for the club especially once the club as been relegated.

D

Deleted member 3545

Regarding the championship this season i would imho say that most the teams have been roughly the same this season. everyone capable and have beaten each other, no one team as walked away with the league. shows how hard this league can be.

L

luckyjim

Newcastle and West Ham did have to sell some of their players. dont forget also Newcastle didnt have a cut in wages clause in their players contracts when they were relegated.
Also Newcastle and West Ham are much bigger clubs then Wolves and i guess find it easier to hold onto players than the likes Wolves.

Yes, historically Newcastle have largely been a bigger club. This is not the case with West Ham Utd. It's simply inaccurate to claim they are "much" bigger clubs. You've forgotten the main theme dividing us and and them is ambition, and you often get much bigger attendances on the back of that ambition.

Go back to the 1994-95 season and we had the 10th biggest attendance in the football league. Our average attendance was 25,940 compared with 20,118 for West Ham who were in the Premier League at the time. This was an era in which we had rebuilt Molineux and sir jack was proudly declaiming his ambition for Wolves. Also consider the fact we have been slumming it in the second tier for most of that time.

This time in the Prem, we had fans being put off by the spectacle of watching dreadful football and becoming a punch-bag even for lower-level premier league teams without buying any box-office players to capture the imagination of fans.

Therefore, I hope the presentation of the facts and their context doesn't dent your belief that we're a tiny club who should be grateful players like Fletch and Jarvo condescended to play for us.

L

luckyjim

We should be thankful that we now have a dressing-room full of players who are currently the epitome of manly fraternity now we've offloaded the premier league sulky-patches....:rolleyes:

B

Batman

It's been a dreadful championship season in terms of quality (which makes our plight even worse)

I've watched Hull twice in 7 days once live and once on the telly and the fact that they are comfortably second sums it all up really. Quite sound at the back but so dull and unambitious going forward (Cannon Fodder next season if they don't spend some serious money)

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cardiff and Bristol City apart, there has been little to choose between the rest, and the standard has been very average. So why on earth are we where we are?

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whoever goes up with Cardiff is going to get spanked in the prem

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cardiff and Bristol City apart, there has been little to choose between the rest, and the standard has been very average. So why on earth are we where we are?

Because we tried the untested foriegn route whilst wanting quick results. On both counts the club made monumental errors

Urko

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dreadful standard and we're one of the worst teams. The table doesn't lie !

Morgan, Moxey, Stale & Saunders hang your heads in shame !

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Are you talking about the best players we were not going to be selling?:eek:

D

Deleted member 3545

Yes, historically Newcastle have largely been a bigger club. This is not the case with West Ham Utd. It's simply inaccurate to claim they are "much" bigger clubs. You've forgotten the main theme dividing us and and them is ambition, and you often get much bigger attendances on the back of that ambition.

Go back to the 1994-95 season and we had the 10th biggest attendance in the football league. Our average attendance was 25,940 compared with 20,118 for West Ham who were in the Premier League at the time. This was an era in which we had rebuilt Molineux and sir jack was proudly declaiming his ambition for Wolves. Also consider the fact we have been slumming it in the second tier for most of that time.

This time in the Prem, we had fans being put off by the spectacle of watching dreadful football and becoming a punch-bag even for lower-level premier league teams without buying any box-office players to capture the imagination of fans.

Therefore, I hope the presentation of the facts and their context doesn't dent your belief that we're a tiny club who should be grateful players like Fletch and Jarvo condescended to play for us.

the example you gave the 94-95 season is nearly 20 years old football as changed over that length of time, another factor West Ham can keep and attract better players that Wolves is it is a London based club, for some reason or other players want to sign for London based clubs always as been the case. I bet if Wolves and West Ham went for the same player and offered the same terms and conditions etc 9 out 10 would choose West Ham

Wolves are no loner the "big boys" of the championship like they were under Sir Jack ( even he bottled it when wolves reach the premiership in promising DJ a war chest to spend.) Wolves are now just another championship club well hopefully !! This season was their chance to bounce straight back but they balls it up.
No matter what team is relegated players will leave like i said they left Newcastle and west Ham when they went down its a myth that Newcastle kept all their stars yes they kept majority of the squad but that was down to not having a relegation pay cut clause.

With the parachute money getting even bigger for relegated clubs and Wolves slowly coming to an end within a couple of more seasons. Where will the club find the money if they are still a struggling championship team or midtable championship team or team that misses out on promotion via the play offs.

One of main problems Wolves have its an unattractive club to players. So how do you attract quaility players to a club like Wolves do you have to break the bank on wages go the portsmouth/QPR route and hope you stay in the premiership?

Back
Top Bottom