Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

QPR Planning to move from Loftus Road

S

singwolf_1

Reports in the local press state that Tony Fernandez is planning a new stadium in West London. Reportedly 35K capacity. Down boys! Down!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2170110/QPR-unveil-plans-new-35-000-seater-stadium-club-looks-leave-Loftus-Road.html?ito=feeds-newsxml[/url]

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
Proposed QPR Stadium in White City

Article in the Times today suggesting that QPR are planning a replacement for Loftus Road somewhere around the White City area:

36000 seats, almost double that of Loftus Road

Retractable roof for use as a concert venue

£180 million pre-evaluative cost

Part of a bid to make QPR " A global brand"

Also confirmed on twitter by chairman Tony Fernandes yesterday with plans to fully publicize the proposal on Monday, according to the twitter statements it would appear the club has already drawn up plans/ renders.

Here is another link an uninformative article backing up the suggestion that this is in development http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/f...155231342.html

Source: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1527569

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They have/are making a proper go of this premiership malarkey. As much as I wanted them down fair play to them. Put their money where their mouth was and it paid off.........just!

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They're forced into it...Loftus Road isnt fit for this century, it's archaic

leedswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's hardly the first time QPR have moved. IIRC they've had more grounds than any other league club.

B

Bankswolf II

I dislike QPR simply because they do represent what we should be, the signing of park will prove to be a massive signing for them

M

Mugwump

Fair play to the owner for putting his money where his mouth is and trying to improve them as a club. What he is doing is very risky however, they dont have the fan base and if the get relegated they could be in big trouble.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What is all of this 'fair play'?

QPR are the exact exemplification of everything that is wrong with football.

Upon promotion (which was achieved fairly), they have pumped millions upon millions into the club, signing players that a promoted club has no right to sign, paying them wages that a promoted club has no right to pay.

Now, with a move into a £35 million stadium on the horizon, they're almost certainly going to establish themselves as Premier League mainstays, adding themselves to the ranks of Everton, Sunderland, Stoke et. al - teams who are very very unlikely to go down.

So there's one PL space taken up.

Now look at Cardiff, Nottingham Forest, Leeds and Leicester. Three championship sides who - in the last 2 years alone - have been bought by billionaire syndicates and are planning to throw everything at achieving promotion.

If they achieve promotion, they'll do EXACTLY what QPR have done, assembling a squad they have no right to assemble, on wages they have no right to pay. So that will be another 4 Premier League positions permanently filled.

What happens when there are 21 teams that operate in this manner?
What happens when there are more than 44 (PL + Championship)

League Football - both domestically and abroad - is terminally ill. The Financial Fair play rules are barely even a plaster, seeing as they merely prevent teams from entering European competition. Give it 10 years, and the only competitive league shall be League 2.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Upon promotion (which was achieved fairly), they have pumped millions upon millions into the club, signing players that a promoted club has no right to sign, paying them wages that a promoted club has no right to pay.

Now, with a move into a £35 million stadium on the horizon, they're almost certainly going to establish themselves as Premier League mainstays, adding themselves to the ranks of Everton, Sunderland, Stoke et. al - teams who are very very unlikely to go down.

Now look at Cardiff, Nottingham Forest, Leeds and Leicester. Three championship sides who - in the last 2 years alone - have been bought by billionaire syndicates and are planning to throw everything at achieving promotion.

If they achieve promotion, they'll do EXACTLY what QPR have done, assembling a squad they have no right to assemble, on wages they have no right to pay. So that will be another 4 Premier League positions permanently filled.

League Football - both domestically and abroad - is terminally ill. The Financial Fair play rules are barely even a plaster, seeing as they merely prevent teams from entering European competition. Give it 10 years, and the only competitive league shall be League 2.

i agree. Football is worryingly becoming a joke.

M

Mugwump

It's not that difficult to understand really. The bloke has put his money where his mouth is and is trying to put them on the map. It's his money and if he wants to do it then fine. It won't be wolves that suffer if it goes wrong for them so it doesn't bother me. He is showing a lot of ambition so yes, fair play to him.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's not that difficult to understand really. The bloke has put his money where his mouth is and is trying to put them on the map. It's his money and if he wants to do it then fine. It won't be wolves that suffer if it goes wrong for them so it doesn't bother me. He is showing a lot of ambition so yes, fair play to him.

I can see your point, but I fervently feel there should be sanctions in place to stop this happening.

yateleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For a start I don`t think the 10 point sanction is sufficient anymore for anyone getting into trouble.I think it should mean automatic relegation.

M

Mugwump

I dont disagree but unless some kind of salary cap is introduced i really think even these supposed fair play rules will have no effect. The rich clubs wont allow football to change even though eventually it will be to the detriment of the game itself.

J

johnybig32

Having a go?

Survive for a year, announce stadium redevelopment, sign prem experienced players. Sounds familiar and doesnt always gurantee success.

Anyway, is this site now a QPR site?

H

Hatch End

If QPR are looking for a place in North West London they will be competing with Chelsea, who also want to move to a larger capacity stadium.

Chelski ( or at least the dodgy Russian ) have much more money than QPR and have more chance of actually filling a stadium.

Land is incredibly expensive in London and there aren't many sites that are suitable, or would get Planning Premission, for use as football stadiums.

If the BBC abandon their Shepherds Bush site it would only be a short distance to move for QPR. Otherwise I can't think of many more places in the area other than Earls court or Olympia, which Chelski have recently been looking at.

Another thing. The Loftus Road ground covers a relatively small site in a poor area and is its value as building land would be minimal in comparison to the value of the Stamford Bridge site.

Fernandez will have to spend one hell of a lot of money on this project.......and he's got to pay out to keep QPR in the Greed League as well.

It will all end in tears..............good!

J

jayeff17

You won't get a super stadium for £35million ask Steve he will tell you

TeddyWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I've got to agree with Hatch End. Unless Mitttal is willing to write off hundreds of millions this will end badly for QPR.

A

andyc225

Loftus Road is a dump and the area around it isn't very aspirational. As another poster said, Television Centre is just around the corner and the BBC are moving out. Tony Fernandes should consider buying up the site, I'm sure it's big enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
K

Knightly

If QPR are looking for a place in North West London they will be competing with Chelsea, who also want to move to a larger capacity stadium.

Chelski ( or at least the dodgy Russian ) have much more money than QPR and have more chance of actually filling a stadium.

Land is incredibly expensive in London and there aren't many sites that are suitable, or would get Planning Premission, for use as football stadiums.

If the BBC abandon their Shepherds Bush site it would only be a short distance to move for QPR. Otherwise I can't think of many more places in the area other than Earls court or Olympia, which Chelski have recently been looking at.

Another thing. The Loftus Road ground covers a relatively small site in a poor area and is its value as building land would be minimal in comparison to the value of the Stamford Bridge site.

Fernandez will have to spend one hell of a lot of money on this project.......and he's got to pay out to keep QPR in the Greed League as well.

It will all end in tears..............good!

They are going to White City and you would be surprised by the value of properties in the Bush especially after that ex Israeli terrorist who terrorised British soldiers in the 40s in Palestine built Westfield. Welcome to labours London where you can't afford a property in an area you don't even want to live in. 3rd world slum with 1st world prices.

D

Dewsburywolf

Which is precisely what it isn't

S

singwolf_1

The cost will be in the region of about GBP100M I would think, including land and building costs depending on where exactly they build, maybe more. They will take between 2-3 years to build it. In that time a lot of things can go wrong for QPR - including the financial fair play rules which will kick in. They'll have to make the receipts/TV revenues from the 18K capacity @ Loftus Road go a LONG way until the new stadium is open. Even then, will they be able to fill it? I am guessing that Air Asia will be the stadium sponsor so that will add some money into the coffers.

S

SimplyTheWolves

You sure that's right Hoganstolemywife?

Back
Top Bottom