Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Previous encounters with Manchester United FC (Newton Heath LYR FC)

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Beginning with the stats, its 36 wins, 50 defeats and 20 draws with our first meeting taking place against “Newton Heath” in 1892 when we lost 10-1.

Some notable successes along the way have included a 7-0 win in 1931, and a 6-2 win in 1951.
Between 1958-61, we were enjoying both European Cup and Cup Winners Cup involvement and recorded five victories on the bounce against the Red Devils; 4-0 (Murray 2, Mason, Mullen) at Old Trafford, 3-2 (Murray 2, Broadbent) at Molineux, 2-0 (Deeley and Stobart) at OT, 3-1 (Farmer 2, Horne) at OT, 2-1 (Flowers, Brennan og) at Molineux and 2-0 (Kirkham, Broadbent) at OT, all in the old Division 1.

A couple of noteworthy mentions include Sir Matt Busby and Stan Cullis being wartime pals and the former Wolves manager Major Frank Buckley (born in the Trafford suburb of Urmston) playing three games for United.
Players who’ve played for both clubs include Dennis Irwin, Paul Ince and Jim McCalliog.

Some on the Mix would have seen the likes of Best, Law, Charlton, Stiles, Morgan, Foulkes and Crerand, and one or two may go back further and remember Dudley born, Duncan Edwards.
Later would come Macari, Strachan Coppell, Hill, Beckham, Scholes, Cantona, Ronaldo, Robson, Keane, Giggs and the late Butch Wilkinks, but one name that will always make me smile is Maurice Setters as the simple chant on the terraces at that time was “**** off Setters” to which he’d normally respond with the two fingered salute !

My first game was sometime in the 60’s when my Dad took me to Old Trafford. I don’t remember much about the game but think we lost so not a memorable first visit.
Games against United in the early 70’s were never without incident and one game at Molineux I remember well.
The game was reaching its conclusion and their mob left the SB, came down Waterloo Road and gained entry into the North Bank in an attempt to “take our end” (in those days, the big wooden gates were opened near to the end of the game to allow people to leave early).
Suffice to say, they were successfully repelled and were chased back out and on to the streets of Waterloo Road. What happened after that I can only describe as being like something out of the Alamo !

We faired reasonably well during the late 70’s/early 80’s, recording a 2-1 win (Eves, Patching) at Molineux during season 77-78, and then back to back wins in season 79-80 with a 3-1 win (Gray, Richards, Hibbitt) at Molineux in September and then 1-0 (Eves) at Old Trafford the following February.
Darker days followed, but we were back in the top division in 2003 and who can forget the Kenny Miller strike in 2004 during that season.
We then lost our membership at the top table only to return in season 2009 and record a fine home win at Molineux in 2011, when after conceding early we ran out 2-1 winners thanks to Kevin Doyle and George Elokobi.

After more relegation heartache in 2012, we were back amongst the elite in 2018 and recorded a fine draw at Old Trafford courtesy of a sublime strike by Joao Moutinho as well as a 2-0 FA Cup win (Jiminez, Jota) at Molineux the following year.

So it’s the last “past encounters” for this season and to quote a distinguished commentator, “some people are on the pitch, they think it’s all over………”

Contributions much appreciated as always and a thank you to all those who have done so previously.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought the 1-1 draw at old Trafford in our first season back in the premier league was one of the most underrated performances under Nuno.

Came back from 1-0 down, brilliant goal from Moutinho, really went toe to toe with them. Wore the sexy white away kit as well. Great day round Manchester as well.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The 5-0 defeat at home under Terry Connor was one of the most one sided games Iv ever seen.

felt sorry for Vokes missing that great chance in a 1-0 defeat under Mick at Molinuex.

The late Park winner at OT after SEB had equalised was absolutely sickening. Battled hard that day.

I know it was a friendly but seeing Bully lob Kaspers dad was beautiful.

Last edited:

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have posted about the first recollection before so hope those who have read about it don't get too bored. A game where I wasn't born but had strong family ties.

We played United in the SF in 1949 when we went on to win it. A relative, Lol Kelly palyed at full back in the entire cup run. In the Semi he was injured but thought he had made full fitness and believed he was to play at Wembley. Until Stan Cullis told him he was playing Springthorpe instead. Lol was devasted and left the train they were travelling on to return to Wolverhampton. He played 60 League games in total as well as cup games while he was with the club then went to Huddersfield wher Ray Wilson was his understudy. Later Wilson would give Lol the credit for helping him become a world cup winner in 1966. In 1949 the Semi went to a replay after drawing 1-1 in the first one.

In 1973 we beat them 1-0 at Old Trafford in the 3rd round in the same year we lost to Leeds in the Semi-final at Maine Road. Mike bailey scored in the 2nd minute. I wasn't at that game though just the Semi at Maine Road.

In 1965 I watched from a rammed South Bank as a 12 year old as we lost in the cup to them 3-5. Notable two goals from Hugh McIllmoyle for us in the first 15 minutes but with Best etc in full pomp we couldn't hold them. Best scored directly from a corner in that game and Peter Knowles scored our 3rd but we were already five down by then. Denis Law scored from a very crafty free kick. Great, great players no doubt about that.

More recently I watched Nuno's Wolves and was taken back to the great days playing these again. One of the memorable FA Cup games that will live long in the memory as Molineux rocked like the good old times as we finally had a club that competed with the best again after so many decades. I will have the Jota second goal alive in the memory while I still possess one.

Last edited:

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That reserve game when thousands turned up was good. Got in about 15 mins late, told to walk round the pitch into the north bank, Bully scored 2 and I thought we’d won 2-1. Wasn’t till I saw the paper next day that I found out United had scored 2 early and won 3-2.

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember the away game at OT in our first "assault on the Premier League".

This was coming on the back of having conceded 5 at Blackburn and 4 against Charlton (and 6 at mighty Morecambe!). Sky had chosen it for the Monday Night Football - what would turn out to be a rare TV match for us during the season - and all bets were on how many Utd would put past us. Sky Sports News had already interviewed an apprehensive John Aldridge earlier who held some record of consecutive goals that Ruud Van Nistelrooy stood to break if he scored against us, which was treated as a foregone conclusion.

Within the first minutes, we were already behind as we defended a corner poorly (some things never change) and John O'Shea bundled it in. The floodgates then completely failed to open, in fact there was no real onslaught at all. If anything we were the more dangerous side but Henri Camara gave us plenty of evidence of what would be a challenging season in front of goal with some of his "finishing". In the end, a 0-1 defeat felt like a victory of sorts.

Interestingly, in the studio to welcome Wolves back to "the big league" was Kenny Hibbitt and a certain boyhood Wolves fan by the name of Allardyce. I remember that during much of the post-match analysis they were all pretty distracted by watching Newcastle on an off-camera screen lose a penalty shootout and thereby fail to reach the Champions League group stages .

Last edited:

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember the away game at OT in our first "assault of the Premier League".

This was coming on the back of having conceded 5 at Blackburn and 4 against Charlton (and 6 at mighty Morecambe!). Sky had chosen it for the Monday Night Football - what would turn out to be a rare TV match for us during the season - and all bets were on how many Utd would put past us. Sky Sports News had already interviewed an apprehensive John Aldridge earlier who held some record of consecutive goals, which Ruud Van Nistelrooy stood to break if he scored against us, which was treated as a foregone conclusion.

Within the first minutes, we were already behind as we defended a corner poorly (some things never change) and John O'Shea bundled it in. The floodgates then completely failed to open, in fact there was no real onslaught at all. If anything we were the more dangerous side but Henri Camara gave us plenty of evidence of what would be a challenging season in front of goal with some of his "finishing". In the end, a 0-1 defeat felt like a victory of sorts.

Interestingly, in the studio to welcome Wolves back to "the big league" was Kenny Hibbitt and a certain boyhood Wolves fan by the name of Allardyce. I remember that during much of the post-match analysis they were all pretty distracted by watching Newcastle on an off-camera screen lose a penalty shootout and thereby fail to reach the Champions League group stages .

Yes, I remember those early games against Blackburn and Charlton and expected us to be absolutely taken apart by United and like yourself it felt like a moral victory when we only conceded one.

Interesting note about the goings on in the studio.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have posted about the first recollection before so hope those who have read about it don't get too bored. A game where I wasn't born but had strong family ties.

We played United in the SF in 1949 when we went on to win it. A relative, Lol Kelly palyed at full back in the entire cup run. In the Semi he was injured but thought he had made full fitness and believed he was to play at Wembley. Until Stan Cullis told him he was playing Springthorpe instead. Lol was devasted and left the train they were travelling on to return to Wolverhampton. He played 60 League games in total as well as cup games while he was with the club then went to Huddersfield wher Ray Wilson was his understudy. Later Wilson would give Lol the credit for helping him become a world cup winner in 1966. In 1949 the Semi went to a replay after drawing 1-1 in the first one.

In 1973 we beat them 1-0 at Old Trafford in the 3rd round in the same year we lost to Leeds in the Semi-final at Maine Road. Mike bailey scored in the 2nd minute. I wasn't at that game though just the Semi at Maine Road.

In 1965 I watched from a rammed South Bank as a 12 year old as we lost in the cup to them 3-5. Notable two goals from Hugh McIllmoyle for us in the first 15 minutes but with Best etc in full pomp we couldn't hold them. Best scored directly from a corner in that game and Peter Knowles scored our 3rd but we were already five down by then. Denis Law scored from a very crafty free kick. Great, great players no doubt about that.

More recently I watched Nuno's Wolves and was taken back to the great days playing these again. One of the memorable FA Cup games that will live long in the memory as Molineux rocked like the good old times as we finally had a club that competed with the best again after so many decades. I will have the Jota second goal alive in the memory while I still possess one.

That's a sad story about Lol Kelly and the disappointment must have stayed with him for many a year.

I initially mentioned that 3-5 game, but then removed it as the piece was getting too long so thanks for mentioning it.
Looking at a write up about the game, it states that there was a crowd of 53,581 and George Best scored direct from a corner.

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's a sad story about Lol Kelly and the disappointment must have stayed with him for many a year.

I initially mentioned that 3-5 game, but then removed it as the piece was getting too long so thanks for mentioning it.
Looking at a write up about the game, it states that there was a crowd of 53,581 and George Best scored direct from a corner.

Lol (Laurie) was born and bred in Wolverhampton to Irish parents. As a boy at family gatherings I would sit open mouthed as I was in the same company as a 'real' Wolves player - although by then he had retired. He would rarely speak about not playing in the final, not wishing to bore everyone the reason. So much so that in recent years I have had to go to other sources to get to the bottom of why he didn't play and his and the family's reaction to it. All he would say was he got injured. His brother, my other uncle, Tom refused to go the the final in 1949 in 'protest' and in support of his brother.

He did have some anecdotes about playing for the club, and Cullis. in those early years of Stan's reign. There's been books on Stan of course but first hand tales only back up what a remarkable football man Stan was. He was also a remarkable human being in so many other ways as well, as one Bill Shankly is on record as saying in print.

There's also photographs of Lol getting off the coach, just behind Billy Wright. as the cup winning team arrived back in Wolverhampton. Lol was smiling and the fact he was on the coach suggests he felt included in the club. There's also photos of Lol training, running alongside a bare chested Billy Wright and of course the pre season club photographs from that time.

Also when Lol left the club for Huddersfield in 1950 he was given a cheque for 500 pounds ( about 15.000 in today's language) on the instruction of Stan Cullis. So relations were not permanently damaged.

Lol died too early in in his forties in 1972. My other uncle, his brother, died in 1988 aged 58. The latter was also a useful amateur player and my cousin. his son, was an even better player but never saw his potential realised.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lol (Laurie) was born and bred in Wolverhampton to Irish parents. As a boy at family gatherings I would sit open mouthed as I was in the same company as a 'real' Wolves player - although by then he had retired. He would rarely speak about not playing in the final, not wishing to bore everyone the reason. So much so that in recent years I have had to go to other sources to get to the bottom of why he didn't play and his and the family's reaction to it. All he would say was he got injured. His brother, my other uncle, Tom refused to go the the final in 1949 in 'protest' and in support of his brother.

He did have some anecdotes about playing for the club, and Cullis. in those early years of Stan's reign. There's been books on Stan of course but first hand tales only back up what a remarkable football man Stan was. He was also a remarkable human being in so many other ways as well, as one Bill Shankly is on record as saying in print.

There's also photographs of Lol getting off the coach, just behind Billy Wright. as the cup winning team arrived back in Wolverhampton. Lol was smiling and the fact he was on the coach suggests he felt included in the club. There's also photos of Lol training, running alongside a bare chested Billy Wright and of course the pre season club photographs from that time.

Also when Lol left the club for Huddersfield in 1950 he was given a cheque for 500 pounds ( about 15.000 in today's language) on the instruction of Stan Cullis. So relations were not permanently damaged.

Lol died too early in in his forties in 1972. My other uncle, his brother, died in 1988 aged 58. The latter was also a useful amateur player and my cousin. his son, was an even better player but never saw his potential realised.

Thank you for sharing about a player I knew little about.

It's good to see that Stan Cullis was instrumental in Lol being financially assisted when he moved to Yorkshire or West Riding as I guess it was known then.

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It's good to see that Stan Cullis was instrumental in Lol being financially assisted when he moved to Yorkshire or West Riding as I guess it was known then.
Always a pleasure never a chore! I do try and give it a rest now and again though as many will have read about such issues. Thing is many won't have and might find it interesting.

In the grand scheme of the amazing times the club had under Cullis Lol was just a bit part player in it all. He was good enough to make Pro football at the highest level though and he came from less than humble beginnings, which is another story.

In fact Lol played more games for Huddersfiled Town than he did for us in the fifties. He was though always a 'Wolf' at heart.

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One I remember the most was a 3-3 draw at Molineux. I think 1968 ? From memory we scored in first minute with Paddy Buckley notching
Great game. United paraded all their stars. One incident I clearly remember is George Best stamping on Bobby Thompson’s face. If there had been VAR would have been straight red and possible lengthy ban

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Forgot to add. When we won the league for the first time in 53/4 Huddersfield finished in third place behind the Baggies, six points fewer than us.Lol played against us of course in those seasons at left back.

As a pro he would have loved to have won the league but was more than chuffed when we did. In that season Huddersfield were only one of ten defeats. They won 2-1 at their place. They lost 4-0 at Molineux though.Lol played in both games of course.

Last edited:

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Beginning with the stats, its 36 wins, 50 defeats and 20 draws with our first meeting taking place against “Newton Heath” in 1892 when we lost 10-1.

Some notable successes along the way have included a 7-0 win in 1931, and a 6-2 win in 1951.
Between 1958-61, we were enjoying both European Cup and Cup Winners Cup involvement and recorded five victories on the bounce against the Red Devils; 4-0 (Murray 2, Mason, Mullen) at Old Trafford, 3-2 (Murray 2, Broadbent) at Molineux, 2-0 (Deeley and Stobart) at OT, 3-1 (Farmer 2, Horne) at OT, 2-1 (Flowers, Brennan og) at Molineux and 2-0 (Kirkham, Broadbent) at OT, all in the old Division 1.

A couple of noteworthy mentions include Sir Matt Busby and Stan Cullis being wartime pals and the former Wolves manager Major Frank Buckley (born in the Trafford suburb of Urmston) playing three games for United.
Players who’ve played for both clubs include Dennis Irwin, Paul Ince and Jim McCalliog.

Some on the Mix would have seen the likes of Best, Law, Charlton, Stiles, Morgan, Foulkes and Crerand, and one or two may go back further and remember Dudley born, Duncan Edwards.
Later would come Macari, Strachan Coppell, Hill, Beckham, Scholes, Cantona, Ronaldo, Robson, Keane, Giggs and the late Butch Wilkinks, but one name that will always make me smile is Maurice Setters as the simple chant on the terraces at that time was “**** off Setters” to which he’d normally respond with the two fingered salute !

My first game was sometime in the 60’s when my Dad took me to Old Trafford. I don’t remember much about the game but think we lost so not a memorable first visit.
Games against United in the early 70’s were never without incident and one game at Molineux I remember well.
The game was reaching its conclusion and their mob left the SB, came down Waterloo Road and gained entry into the North Bank in an attempt to “take our end” (in those days, the big wooden gates were opened near to the end of the game to allow people to leave early).
Suffice to say, they were successfully repelled and were chased back out and on to the streets of Waterloo Road. What happened after that I can only describe as being like something out of the Alamo !

We faired reasonably well during the late 70’s/early 80’s, recording a 2-1 win (Eves, Patching) at Molineux during season 77-78, and then back to back wins in season 79-80 with a 3-1 win (Gray, Richards, Hibbitt) at Molineux in September and then 1-0 (Eves) at Old Trafford the following February.
Darker days followed, but we were back in the top division in 2003 and who can forget the Kenny Miller strike in 2004 during that season.
We then lost our membership at the top table only to return in season 2009 and record a fine home win at Molineux in 2011, when after conceding early we ran out 2-1 winners thanks to Kevin Doyle and George Elokobi.

After more relegation heartache in 2012, we were back amongst the elite in 2018 and recorded a fine draw at Old Trafford courtesy of a sublime strike by Joao Moutinho as well as a 2-0 FA Cup win (Jiminez, Jota) at Molineux the following year.

So it’s the last “past encounters” for this season and to quote a distinguished commentator, “some people are on the pitch, they think it’s all over………”

Contributions much appreciated as always and a thank you to all those who have done so previously.
Not that anybody will care, but you haven't got the facts and figures for the 58-61 period quite right -- two games missed out: there were back to back 4-0 wins, for instance, and a 1-2 defeat in 59. I remember all these games well but have Tony Matthews record book to help me:

57-8 home won 3-1, away won 4-0
58-9 home won 4-0 away lost 1-2
59-60 home won 3-2 away won 2-0
60-1 home won 3-1 away won 2-1
61-2 home won 2-0 away drew 2-2

I think you missed out the 59-9 results from your list.

I saw all the home games, but as the most memorable my favourite is from another era, January 1972, at OT. Wolves were playing out of their skins at the time with that brilliant team of Munro, Bailey, Parkin, Jimmy Mac, the Doog, JR and Waggy. Utd were in a bit of a false position -- they were top of the league, but George Best was going missing a lot (as he did for this game, he didn't turn up!), and Willie Morgan deputised. From the start we took them to the cleaners -- a goal for the Doog and another for JR following brilliant passing between the two. 2-0 at HT. They came back in the 2nd half and pulled one back, but High Curran was chopped down in the area right in front of the Stretford End and Jimmy Mac coolly despatched the pen. 3-1 the final score. Two seasons on and Utd were relegated, but the rot had already started to set in in 72. I think Frank O'Farrell was their manager at the time, Busby had already gone I think.

Burton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The year they went down and then romped Division One. First game back they were at Molineux, beat us 2-0, it was the most away fans I had ever seen in real life. There were thousands of them everywhere. A real hard 20 something Utd fan with his mate nicked my scarf off me. Real tough seeing I was 15 at the time.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not that anybody will care, but you haven't got the facts and figures for the 58-61 period quite right -- two games missed out: there were back to back 4-0 wins, for instance, and a 1-2 defeat in 59. I remember all these games well but have Tony Matthews record book to help me:

57-8 home won 3-1, away won 4-0
58-9 home won 4-0 away lost 1-2
59-60 home won 3-2 away won 2-0
60-1 home won 3-1 away won 2-1
61-2 home won 2-0 away drew 2-2

I think you missed out the 59-9 results from your list.

I saw all the home games, but as the most memorable my favourite is from another era, January 1972, at OT. Wolves were playing out of their skins at the time with that brilliant team of Munro, Bailey, Parkin, Jimmy Mac, the Doog, JR and Waggy. Utd were in a bit of a false position -- they were top of the league, but George Best was going missing a lot (as he did for this game, he didn't turn up!), and Willie Morgan deputised. From the start we took them to the cleaners -- a goal for the Doog and another for JR following brilliant passing between the two. 2-0 at HT. They came back in the 2nd half and pulled one back, but High Curran was chopped down in the area right in front of the Stretford End and Jimmy Mac coolly despatched the pen. 3-1 the final score. Two seasons on and Utd were relegated, but the rot had already started to set in in 72. I think Frank O'Farrell was their manager at the time, Busby had already gone I think.

Thank you for the corrections BSK.
You're always on a hiding to nothing when quoting past games, especially in an era when you wern't present, so thank you again for your "value add" as well as correctional data.

I do believe however I was present at that game at Old Trafford in 1972 as someone attempted to nick my scalf, but thankfully it stayed on my wrist. :)

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The year they went down and then romped Division One. First game back they were at Molineux, beat us 2-0, it was the most away fans I had ever seen in real life. There were thousands of them everywhere. A real hard 20 something Utd fan with his mate nicked my scarf off me. Real tough seeing I was 15 at the time.

Just replied to another poster a few seconds ago saying that someone tried to take my scalf at Old Trafford in 72 but it was tied to my wrist so stayed intact.

D

Deleted member 7862Bler

30 years ago I moved to live near Manchester and set off to watch Wolves reserves vs Man Utd reserves at old Trafford. I stopped car and wound down window to ask a lady the way to ground and she asked if I was going on business. After some confusion I then realised she was a prostitute and was asking if I wanted any business. I politely declined saying “no thank you I’d rather watch wolves reserves”. I’m not sure how much she knew about wolves reserves but she didn’t seem very impressed.

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
One of my previous encounters with Manchester United at Old Trafford was taking the Stretford End with about 50 Wolves fans.
After singing a couple of Wolves songs in there, we ran across the pitch to the Scoreboard End, and ended up in the OT main stand.
Absolutely 100% true.. I will reveal below how we did it, perhaps Welford Wolf will remember, as may Steve Bishop from Cannock Wolves.

Edit. It happened in July 1978 when the Manchester Wolves held their first Buffet Dance in the Executive Suite at Old Trafford, see the pink ticket below.
We invited members of Daventry and Cannock Wolves along with ex-Wolves Player Gerry Mannion, and decided to open the Executive Suite doors.
Down the steps from the top of the Main Stand, we entered into an empty Old Trafford, spending about 10 minutes roaming around before returning up the steps.
I have been trying to remember why the ticket is pink! Either United printed them for us, or one of our members had them done, and only had pink card.
Click on the image below.

Attachments

• Image (126).jpg
    Image (126).jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One of my previous encounters with Manchester United at Old Trafford was taking the Stretford End with about 50 Wolves fans.
After singing a couple of Wolves songs in there, we ran across the pitch to the Scoreboard End, and ended up in the OT main stand.
Absolutely 100% true.. I will reveal later how we did it, perhaps Welford Wolf will remember, as may Steve Bishop from Cannock Wolves.

Crikey, how was that possible, unless it was a reserve kickabout.

Which on the subject, I'm surprised you all escaped a "kickabout" from the patrons of the Stretford End.
It sounds foolhardy (or down right brave) to the extreme, Sir !

Best wishes Berlin, hope you're keeping well.
It seems a long time since that Switzerland pre-season (assuming it's the same "Berlin").

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
Crikey, how was that possible, unless it was a reserve kickabout.

Which on the subject, I'm surprised you all escaped a "kickabout" from the patrons of the Stretford End.
It sounds foolhardy (or down right brave) to the extreme, Sir !

Best wishes Berlin, hope you're keeping well.
It seems a long time since that Switzerland pre-season (assuming it's the same "Berlin").
I have just edited my post above.. after finding the ticket.
Yes, it is me.. What a great time we had in Bern.
Keep up the previous encounter threads, hope you are well.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have just edited my post above.. after finding the ticket.
Yes, it is me.. What a great time we had in Bern.
Keep up the previous encounter threads, hope you are well.

Yes, doing ok BW, and thank you for your comment.

Look forward to another beer together sometime, somewhere once the European dream is back on !!!
Trips to Barcelona and Instanbul will remain with me forever, and I dreamt of Nuno and the team lifting the trophy in Gdansk, but alas not to be.

Stay safe my friend.

Olivergoldblack

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I remember going to a reserve match against Man U in the 90's, Bully was playing cos he was returning from injury. We lost 3-2, Bully got 2, and a homes under the hammer presenter scored an hat trick for Man U. No word of a lie there must have been 20,000 in Molineux for that game, they had to open 3 sides of the stadium.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thank you for the corrections BSK.
You're always on a hiding to nothing when quoting past games, especially in an era when you wern't present, so thank you again for your "value add" as well as correctional data.

I do believe however I was present at that game at Old Trafford in 1972 as someone attempted to nick my scalf, but thankfully it stayed on my wrist. :)
That 59-60 3-2 home win was memorable for one of the goals. There was a rapid interchange of passes down our right hand side between Norman Deeley and Peter Broadbent that left a couple of Utd defenders on their arses and finished with Peter B hitting a 20 yard left-footer into the top corner past Harry Gregg. That goal was featured as 'goal of the season' in a series of still photos in Charles Buchan's Football Yearbook for 1959 (or some such title). I remember the book being in my Christmas stocking that year!

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember the away game at OT in our first "assault of the Premier League".

This was coming on the back of having conceded 5 at Blackburn and 4 against Charlton (and 6 at mighty Morecambe!). Sky had chosen it for the Monday Night Football - what would turn out to be a rare TV match for us during the season - and all bets were on how many Utd would put past us. Sky Sports News had already interviewed an apprehensive John Aldridge earlier who held some record of consecutive goals, which Ruud Van Nistelrooy stood to break if he scored against us, which was treated as a foregone conclusion.

I remember Paul Ince going off an excellent rant at the end of the game saying that when the United team sheet came in showing that they had " rested " a couple of first team regulars Incey had used in his pre game speech, he told the Wolves players " Ferguson is taking **** ! " There was no Sir Alex or " Fergie " nonsense from " The Guv'nor " it was Ferguson !

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That 59-60 3-2 home win was memorable for one of the goals. There was a rapid interchange of passes down our right hand side between Norman Deeley and Peter Broadbent that left a couple of Utd defenders on their arses and finished with Peter B hitting a 20 yard left-footer into the top corner past Harry Gregg. That goal was featured as 'goal of the season' in a series of still photos in Charles Buchan's Football Yearbook for 1959 (or some such title). I remember the book being in my Christmas stocking that year!

Excellent !
I too had the Charles Buchan's Football Year Books, although I dare say mine would have come a little later.

My Stoke City supporting brother told me once that he waited outside the Victoria Ground to get Harry Gregg's autograph as he himself was playing in goal for the school team.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The 5-0 defeat at home under Terry Connor was one of the most one sided games Iv ever seen.

felt sorry for Vokes missing that great chance in a 1-0 defeat under Mick at Molinuex.

The late Park winner at OT after SEB had equalised was absolutely sickening. Battled hard that day.

I know it was a friendly but seeing Bully lob Kaspers dad was beautiful.
I believe that 5-0 was on Mother’s Day, or very close.
Took my Yanited supporting Mum.
She was well impressed with the self deprecating chanting going on as the goals rained in.
The game was gone within the first few minutes, so everyone seemingly decided to make the best of the afternoon.
Best atmosphere I’ve ever heard for an absolute tonking.

D

Deleted member 7862Bler

What about our 03/04 player of the year's howler against ManUre at Old Trafford...
We had last 5-2 at Blackburn and 4-0 at home to Charlton. We then went to Old Trafford and loads of United fans were placing bets that they would get the record score against us in premier league (which I think was 9 goals). So to get away with a 1-0 defeat wasn’t too bad.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I believe that 5-0 was on Mother’s Day, or very close.
Took my Yanited supporting Mum.
She was well impressed with the self deprecating chanting going on as the goals rained in.
The game was gone within the first few minutes, so everyone seemingly decided to make the best of the afternoon.
Best atmosphere I’ve ever heard for an absolute tonking.
Re your last para, best ever was the 0-6 Saints game.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We had last 5-2 at Blackburn and 4-0 at home to Charlton. We then went to Old Trafford and loads of United fans were placing bets that they would get the record score against us in premier league (which I think was 9 goals). So to get away with a 1-0 defeat wasn’t too bad.
Oh, l agree. But if Camara could have hit a cow's ass with a banjo that night the result would have been even better. Didn't they (O'Shea?) score late on too?

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I lost a week of " playtime " in my last year at my Primary School in 1976. I was eleven and had worked out a few years previous the school playground had quite a few glory hunters in it even though United had gone down in season 74/75. There was one kid who was a right " sing when you are winning " front runner who could not take it when Manure lost. The reason for my loss of play times was he run up to me as we assembled in our class lines to go into school laughing and full of himself because Wolves had blown a 2-0 in the FA Cup Quarter Final replay in March 1976 and lost 3-2. Unfortunately for me my beautifully timed haymaker that connected with this deserving pillock's jaw was in full view of my teacher so that was it in ice hockey terms I was sent to the sin bin.

I deplore football fan violence but being a hypocrite on that occasion it was perfectly acceptable and more than justified ! :D:D:D

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I lost a week of " playtime " in my last year at my Primary School in 1976. I was eleven and had worked out a few years previous the school playground had quite a few glory hunters in it even though United had gone down in season 74/75. There was one kid who was a right " sing when you are winning " front runner who could not take it when Manure lost. The reason for my loss of play times was he run up to me as we assembled in our class lines to go into school laughing and full of himself because Wolves had blown a 2-0 in the FA Cup Quarter Final replay in March 1976 and lost 3-2. Unfortunately for me my beautifully timed haymaker that connected with this deserving pillock's jaw was in full view of my teacher so that was it in ice hockey terms I was sent to the sin bin.

I deplore football fan violence but being a hypocrite on that occasion it was perfectly acceptable and more than justified ! :D:D:D
fair play to you

Reaction score
My best United memory is a mid 70's FA cup tie at Old Trafford (my 1st visit) against Tommy Doc's exciting team. They absolutely battered us but Phil Parkes had a blinder and then out of nothing JR produced a stunning finish to give us the lead. We nearly hung on but right at the end Gerry Daly got an equaliser.

In the replay at Molineux we raced into a 2-0 lead courtesy of Richards and a wonderful header from Kindon but just before half-time they pulled one back. At 2-1 Kindon rattled one off the bar that would surely have finished it but they got an equaliser and then nicked the winner late on and even then Derek Parkin hit the bar again.

2 brilliant games even though the final result wasn't.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember Wolves doing the double over United in that brilliant 79/80 season. It was Andy Gray's first home game as a Wolves player on September 22nd 1979 and Wolves ran out 3-1 winners with a debut home goal from him and further strikes from Kenny Hibbitt and John Richards in front of 35,954. Wolves then won 1-0 at Old Trafford with a Mel Eves goal on February 9th 1980.

Then I see Wolves made it 3 wins in a row over United at the start of the 1980/81 season with a 1-0 home win on a Tuesday night August 19th and a George Berry winner ( 31,995 )

I can vividly remember Wolves beating United 2-1 in the 77/78 campaign ( April 29th 1978 ) with goals from Martin Patching and Mel Eves as it was on Match of the Day with Barry Davies saying something like " And young Eves got there " as he scored the winner !

Last edited:

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oh, l agree. But if Camara could have hit a cow's ass with a banjo that night the result would have been even better. Didn't they (O'Shea?) score late on too?
O’Shea scored in the first half.

Back
Top Bottom