Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Premier League or Europa League

stuj4z

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's been mentioned in multiple threads already but just to put it in one place which would people prefer the focus to be.
For me we will not go down.
Cut out the individual mistakes and we will be fine.
There was absolutely no point in playing our strongest team in qualifying if we didnt intend to go for it, so for me it is Europa League all day.

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Premier league 100%, let's walk before we run.
Although the idea of winning Europa league and getting relegated is interesting. How would we fit all those games in!

kennyB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
PL every time for me. If we weren't in the Europa league nobody would be interested in it, I suppose some might say that applies to the PL too though.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Europa League.

What's the point in aiming as high as we can in the league if we then don't want the end result which is playing in Europe?

Assuming we make it out of the group there's over 2 months between the last group game on 12th December to the first leg of the last 32 on 20th February in which we'll have 10 league games. If we genuinely are in trouble of relegation by the time we get to the last 32 game it won't be solely down to playing in Europe.

And if we don't make it out of the group then we'll have 22 league games left after the last group game to put our situation right. So if we're in relegation trouble this season, again, it won't be solely down to playing in Europe.

Really though the answer shouldn't have to be one or the other, the answer should be both. All the talk from the club is about wanting to challenge at the very top, the top teams play 50 to 60 games a season, every season. If prioritising the Europa League leaves us in danger of relegation, then the fault lies with the club not being prepared enough for both competitions, not the competitions themselves.

HarborneWolf

Reaction score
The likelihood of us being in the premier league next year is much higher than the likelihood of us qualifying for Europe again in my opinion , it's easy to think this will be a regular occurrence but this may be our only season playing European football for a long time so I think we need to go for it and embrace it

W

wolvesultra

Baffling .

What’s the point in trying to finish 10th? Let’s try win some trophies ffs
Its not finishing 18th, 19th or 20th that's the reason I voted Premier League.

Priority order should be:
Premier League survival
FA Cup progression as far as poss
Europa League progression as far as poss
Finishing in top half
League Cup progression as far as poss
Finishing in top 6 (low as its so unrealistic)

Obviously they all fall at different times of the season hence its a balancing act.

W

wolvesultra

People need to stop listening to the 'talk from the club' about instant success its never going to happen, its a good way of shifting season tickets but that's about it.

Real success will always have to be a lot more gradual.

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I voted premier league. Not out of the question that we could win the Europa league and get relegated.
Finish up playing in the Champions league while in the Championship.
The Nou Camp on Wednesday and Wigan on Sunday.

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We'll stay up so let's try and win the Europa. If we finish 15th but have an actual go at winning a European competition, that'll do nicely.

I also know (hardly hot gossip) that the owners and Nuno genuinely think they can win the Europa and have every intention of trying to do so.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
EL has priority over Premier League for me this season.
Despite our shaky league start..I am totally convinced we will stay up.
We can win the EL.We cannot win Premier League.
Let´s go for it.

D

Deleted member 4453

Try to do the best in as much as we can, I'd imagine Nuno looks at it that way, so both.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You can’t really choose.You can’t turn it off and on. Wolves have to field a good team.....can’t deliberately try or hope to lose in the Europa by playing mostly the young players.
We’d get a bad reputation and probably a fine, I guess.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Finishing in 7th,8th 9th or 10th.Gets ya **** all apart from a bit extra money.Finishing above that gets ya a euro spot which a lot of ya think is a waste of time.FFS I'm glad the club's got a bit more ambition than yow lot.Although saying that I don't think they are experienced enough yet.I reckon Dalryple was trying to do things a lot slower than ar Chinese owners wanted that's why he was released.Not heard very much from Mr shi just lately have we.This season doesn't seem to have the wow factor about it yet does it.A run to the final in the Europa and middle table in prem will do me fine.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They are not mutually exclusive. Success breeds success, confidence breeds confidence, and we need to get back to performing well as a team, every time we play.

Success in one competition will help us be successful in the others.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We've already had this poll. At that time (before the loss to Chelsea), I voted PL. I see no reason to change my mind. We 'fought' long and hard to get promoted so that we could play the likes of the Manchester, Liverpool and London Clubs, not Crusaders or Pyunik etc... Now as many observers previously stated and is being realised, playing and travelling to all corners of Europe is taking its toll and we are struggling in the most prestigious league in the world.
With a bigger squad, better summer recruitment and being more established in the PL, I might have voted differently, but as we are, the EL can go to hell if it means that PL results improve significantly.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They are not mutually exclusive. Success breeds success, confidence breeds confidence, and we need to get back to performing well as a team, every time we play.

Success in one competition will help us be successful in the others.
But that's not what the evidence shows. EL - played 6, won 6. PL played 5, won 0.

Summer_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd like to think we will get out of our slump in the PL eventually. Europe all day long for me even if it means we suffer a bit in the league - so what? Europe is here and we must absolutely grab it with both hands. Midtable and a Europa run will be fine.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Next time we qualify for Europe could be another 40 years, anything could happen to FOSUN, Nuno, sometimes you have to think of today.
Plus, we can do both if we're clever with our squad rotation.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But that's not what the evidence shows. EL - played 6, won 6. PL played 5, won 0.

Not comparing like with like. And we have drawn 3 in the PL against tough opposition, whilst only Torino in the EL were PL standard.
Win against Braga, possibly also PL standard (last season anyway), and we go in to the Palace match as recent winners. A damn sight better than being recent persistent losers.

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cannot take anything for granted. We've had far too many seasons outside of the top flight. It's time now to get back to the Wolves of old, i.e. proper old Wolves that fans like BSK remember, me to a lesser 1970s extent, which means a club synonymous with top flight football and winning domestic honours. Anything else is a bonus. If we go down, and believe me anyone bar the "top 6" can go down, we will have the **** ripped out of us left, right and centre for all the bull**** spouted since we came up! Also, who knows what Fosun would do? **** me, this is a no brainer. Premier League all day long!

BCWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Premier League. If we had recruited better players this summer I would have said Europa. As it is I dont believe our squad has enough depth or quality for both. Time will tell.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not comparing like with like. And we have drawn 3 in the PL against tough opposition, whilst only Torino in the EL were PL standard.
Win against Braga, possibly also PL standard (last season anyway), and we go in to the Palace match as recent winners. A damn sight better than being recent persistent losers.
That's exactly what has happened in both competitions. As for drawing 3 against 'tough opposition', I wouldn't call Burnley at home, 'tough opposition' and the same could be argued about MU as we beat them twice at Molineux last season. Leicester away, I would agree with!
No guarantee that a win against Braga gives us a better chance of beating Palace as we have followed each win in Europe with a disappointing PL match.
There is no doubt in my mind that the EL games are impacting on our ability to compete in the Premier League, just as it did for similar squad depths at Burnley, Wigan, Hull, Bolton and the rest with the exceptions of Chelsea, Arsenal and Man Utd.

AW

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Carabao Cup not an option?

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ive mentioned elswhere a world class footballers career is a short one. They may only play at the top level, competing for trophies at most 5 to 10 years.

That means they could legitimately contest for domestic trophies between 15 and 30 times, European honours between 5 and 10.

Therefor we have to take the Europa seriously, some of these players will never get to play in Europe again.

Lets grasp this opportunity, it may be 30 years before we get another.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We could go down. Easily. We aren't established or even playing well. We are 19th. I would definitely prioritise the league because if we stay up we can fight another day. If we had beaten a team or even had the lead i may think differently but this is going to be a long and hard season. We have almost no chance of winning the europa league but we have a real chance of relegation

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's only a valid question if you take it to extreme: So, would you want to win the Europa League and qualify for the Champions League if that also meant relegation from the Premier League? Otherwise it's just hedging bets one way or another. Is finishing 17th ultimately that much different from finishing 10th or 12th? There has to be something at stake.

Two games this week, Braga and Palace. We win one 2-0, lose the other 2-0. Which game would you choose to win?

Would you be happy winning 4/5 of the next 6 European ties if that meant losing 4/5 of the next 6 PL games?

It's much easier to side with Europe if you also say Oh, we'll not get relegated, we'll start to win PL games eventually.

Justawolf

Reaction score
People need to stop listening to the 'talk from the club' about instant success its never going to happen, its a good way of shifting season tickets but that's about it.

Real success will always have to be a lot more gradual.
The short time it has taken for us to get from playing against Rotherham to getting to group stages in europa and being disappointed not to get anything of playing against champions league teams feels pretty instant to me in fairness

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry - why would we go down?

Losses to a fresh Everton side and in form Chelsea side hardly relegation form
Or a loss to an Everton side that was on the back of a loss at promoted Villa and a loss (hammering) to a Chelsea side that surrendered a 2 goal lead to promoted Sheff Utd. Depends how one wants to view things.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Premier League. If we had recruited better players this summer I would have said Europa. As it is I dont believe our squad has enough depth or quality for both. Time will tell.

You're right the squad ay got depth or quality.But it's good enough to survive in the prem and have a good run in the Europa.Fans on here at the moment think we are gonna do wat we did last year.Finish 7th or higher.Tay gonna happen,but if we were to win the Europa league and still finish up in the premier that would be fantastic,as it will mean we will be in the champions league and who knows wat type of player we can attract.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We've already had this poll. At that time (before the loss to Chelsea), I voted PL. I see no reason to change my mind. We 'fought' long and hard to get promoted so that we could play the likes of the Manchester, Liverpool and London Clubs, not Crusaders or Pyunik etc... Now as many observers previously stated and is being realised, playing and travelling to all corners of Europe is taking its toll and we are struggling in the most prestigious league in the world.
With a bigger squad, better summer recruitment and being more established in the PL, I might have voted differently, but as we are, the EL can go to hell if it means that PL results improve significantly.
This isn't about 'tiredness' from too many games or a small squad. Well, not the primary reasons anyway and certainly not five games into the season. It's about the tactics being employed and the ability & application of the current players.
No team not Liverpool, Man City, Real Madrid or Bayern Munich, would win anything playing backs to the wall, headless chicken defending for 90 minutes, hoping for a lucky break. It's knackering, mentally draining and tactically inept.
It may be that the Europa League and being in Europe may be its own motivator. That being the case, winning breeds winners and it's that psychological component that Nuno has to master, if he ever wants to make us or manage, an elite club. At the moment, belief is faltering, legs are feeling heavier because of it and we're vulnerable.
For that reason I'm saying Europa League is a priority but only because I'm hoping it has a positive effect on the Premier League.

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
Both.

We play every game to perform and hopefully win no matter the competition.....we simply have to.

The preference debate is basically nonsensical.

Back
Top Bottom