Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Premier League clubs vote in favour of spending cap

Noweimannnocry

Reaction score
Premier League clubs have agreed in principle to introduce a spending cap.

A majority of clubs voted in favour of the spending cap, which will be determined by the amount of money earned in television rights by the lowest-earning club in the Premier League.

If approved in June's AGM, the new model will replace the current Profit and Sustainability Regulations from the 2025-26 season.

This could be interesting now...

Rabid Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Premier League clubs have agreed in principle to introduce a spending cap.

A majority of clubs voted in favour of the spending cap, which will be determined by the amount of money earned in television rights by the lowest-earning club in the Premier League.

If approved in June's AGM, the new model will replace the current Profit and Sustainability Regulations from the 2025-26 season.

This could be interesting now...

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If it helps the smaller clubs I’m all for it!

Some restrictions are needed to help compete otherwise it will end up like La Liga. Top 6 sides good quality 7-20th just plodding

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Always gauge this sort of thing by looking who voted against it. In this case it doesn’t appear to be a bad thing for us.

JamesWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If it helps the smaller clubs I’m all for it!

Some restrictions are needed to help compete otherwise it will end up like La Liga. Top 6 sides good quality 7-20th just plodding

Or that stupid salary cap, correct me if im wrong but isnt that based on revenue. More revenue the bigger your cap. So both Madrids and Barca just have a normal wage budget its stupid

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Won’t it just help bigger clubs?

Can see lots of transfer requests from players ….

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Minutes from the meeting.

Aston Villa: "No."
Man Utd: "Excellent! Oh wait, what, us as well? Then no, of course not."
Man City: "Sigh. Dennis, darling, get the lawyers on the phone, they're being silly again."
Chelsea: "Whatever, buddy, we'll get back to ya."
Newcastle: "Smile and wave, boys. Smile and wave."
Nottingham Forest: "Aha ha ha hahaha ha! Speakez No Anglais, love. Oi oi, lager lager LAGER!"

WinchWolf

Reaction score
Won’t it just help bigger clubs?

Can see lots of transfer requests from players ….
Surely it won't if it's capped at 5 times the TV money of the bottom club, it may cause more issues for the top 6, hence why they voted against!!!

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Will this cap mean that the big clubs won’t be able to compete against the Saudi league?
If it passes at the AGM, it might make for a very interesting summer transfer window.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
The only surprise is that Newcastle didn't vote against it!
I don't think so. Trying to work it out, but in terms of PL at least, what does it mean?

Forgive me guessing the numbers and simplifying, but something like....

Man City revenue £800m can currently spend £835m will only be able to spend £500m.
Newcastle revenue £250m can currently spend £285m will now be able to spend £500m.

No idea how it works with the UEFA rules though?

Wonder if PL rules will relate to PL expenditure, I mean it is a bit crazy to expect teams competing in the CL to pay the same as ones in mid-table? All a bit odd at face value.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So, five times the smallest club tv revenue?

5 x 103m = £515m

Lol…how does that help smaller clubs :tearsofjoy:

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wonder if this will change Fosun's self sustainability outlook? Will we join the race, or just sit back?

Oldgoldilox

Groupie
Reaction score
Devil will be in the detail but on the face of it it could give us quite a bit of extra headroom if Fosun want to invest again.

I never bought the idea that curbing the ambition of disruptor clubs was an "unintended" consequence of PSR/FFP, of course it was. This should help level the playing field.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think so. Trying to work it out, but in terms of PL at least, what does it mean?

Forgive me guessing the numbers and simplifying, but something like....

Man City revenue £800m can currently spend £835m will only be able to spend £500m.
Newcastle revenue £250m can currently spend £285m will now be able to spend £500m.

No idea how it works with the UEFA rules though?

Wonder if PL rules will relate to PL expenditure, I mean it is a bit crazy to expect teams competing in the CL to pay the same as ones in mid-table? All a bit odd at face value.
Put it this way, La Liga will absolutely love this proposal which will massively hamstring English teams in Europe (and over time therefore make our chances of a European place less l fear).

kidder_wolf_II

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have no idea what this means?

Surely it doesn’t mean the bottom clubs can spunk £500m up the wall each season while only bringing in a max £125m revenue?

How’s that sustainable?

Certainly gives the PL a level playing field if owners want to waste money living the dream. Just hope a few clubs don’t go bost.

purplepault69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Guess wages will just become a signing on fee for new players and perhaps renew others more often with retainer fee being paid.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's only TV money? Does not apply to all other revenue? Will need to see the detail.
Perhaps the Clubs will vote against VAR now!?

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Put it this way, La Liga will absolutely love this proposal which will massively hamstring English teams in Europe (and over time therefore make our chances of a European place less l fear).
If it makes the premier league more open then I am all for it. Fed up with the same clubs winning all the trophies. Real and Barca can buy the champions league if they want. This arms race has to stop or our ticket prices go through the roof.

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
Why only 5 times. 3 times or double would be better in my opinion
Be crazy though. Tell Man City they bring in £800m but can only spend £300m and have to make £500m profit, which of course they won't for long and they'll soon be losing the the CL group stages.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why only 5 times. 3 times or double would be better in my opinion
The issue is that the Premier League is self regulating, hence why an independent one is coming in. Shame it'll likely have a big bark and no teeth, as so many industry regulators in this country do.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think it's the opposite. Top teams' spending won't be changed too much and they'll still be within the UEFA thresholds, but the rest of the league can go and pinch all of La Liga's best players because they'll be able to pay even more than they can now. Most of them still won't qualify for Europe, but the PL will be a stronger league if sides go out spending (although obviously the threat of administration can and will still loom). Initial impression to me is it's closing the shop that is the PL and making it an even stronger league

Watfordfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Guess it is understandable that teams might be worried they cannot compete with the best across Europe from their own point of view but they'll probably find a way around it!

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
Guess it is understandable that teams might be worried they cannot compete with the best across Europe from their own point of view but they'll probably find a way around it!
Yes, while we're at it can we have

Simple counting that's shown in the club accounts
Harmonisation of accounting periods.
Clear sanctions for breaches.
Imposed by the middle of the following season.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No surprise at some of the teams who voted against .

As it probably means they cannot pay the silly wage meaning players won’t come to them .
The thing is where else would they go ? In the end The Premier League sets the European pace.

Back
Top Bottom