Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Premier League All Star XI

M

Mattyeagle

I know its wolves - unrelated, but seeing Henry's goal last night got me thinking about who my all star Premier League XI would be since it was formed in 1992. Heres what I went for

Henry Shearer

Giggs Scholes Gerrard Ronaldo

Cole Adams Stam Irwin

Schmeichel

OoohRobbieRobbie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
........The Great Dane.......
Carragher.Stam.Adams.Irwin
........Vieira....Scholes.......
Gerrard....................Giggs
.........Bergkamp...............
................Shearer..........

Subs:

Freidel
Hyypia
Makelele
Zola
Van Nistelrooy

Last edited by a moderator:
B

BlakemoreWolf

Van Der Sar

Sagna Terry Vidic Cole

Ronaldo Gerrard Fabregas Le-Tissier

Shearer Henry

B

Bully

Van der Sar

Neville
Adams
Vidic
Irwin

Ronaldo
Gerrard
Scholes
Giggs

Henry
Shearer

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Slightly ot on a non-Wolves related thread but anyway - saw Cantona on the News today and got me thinking who were the greatest foreign players to grace the English game. Cantona for me, followed by Henry (T!), Zola, Bergkamp and I suppose Ronaldo though I hated the greasy $$$$.

M

Mattyeagle

interesting nobody put him in their XI! think it would have to be Ronaldo or Henry for me

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Schmeichel

Irwin
Stam
Hypia/Campbell
Cole

C.Ronaldo
Scholes
Veira
Giggs

Bergkamp
Henry

OoohRobbieRobbie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Slightly ot on a non-Wolves related thread but anyway - saw Cantona on the News today and got me thinking who were the greatest foreign players to grace the English game. Cantona for me, followed by Henry (T!), Zola, Bergkamp and I suppose Ronaldo though I hated the greasy $$$$.

Bergkamp for me. I'd have him in my top 5 of greatest player's in history. Got a great DVD of Him and Henry, and Henry states you could take many, many goals off his total if it hadn't been for Bergkamp. The man was a genius, like Zidane, Puskas, Maradona, Maldini, Cruyff.

S

-ShuWolf-

Schmeical

Carragher
Stam
Adams

Ronaldo
Vieira
Scholes
Giggs

Bergkamp
Cantona/Shearer
Henry

Gone 3-4-3 and just going to score more than we may concede

M

Mugwump

GK Schmeichel

RB G.Neville
LB Irwin
CB Hyypia
CB Stam

RW Ronaldo
LW Giggs
CM Roy Keane
CM Gerrard

CF Cantona
CF Van Nistelrooy

SUBS

Van der Saar
Kompany
Silva
Scholes
Henry
A.Cole
Beckham

How anyone can leave out the likes of Roy Keane and Cantona at their peak is beyond me. Two of the most influential players in premier league history imo. I was close to picking Robbie Fowler, he was awsome before he had those injuries.

F

FLEET WOLF

........The Great Dane.......
Carragher.Stam.Adams.Irwin
........Vieira....Scholes.......
Gerrard....................Giggs
.........Bergkamp...............
................Shearer..........

Subs:

Freidel
Hyypia
Makelele
Zola
Van Nistelrooy

Carragher and Irwin, you are not serious, surely?

B

bridgnorthwolf

Irwin is the best left back to play in the Premier League.

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
GK Schmeichel

RB G.Neville
LB Irwin
CB Hyypia
CB Stam

RW Ronaldo
LW Giggs
CM Roy Keane
CM Gerrard

CF Cantona
CF Van Nistelrooy

SUBS

Van der Saar
Kompany
Silva
Scholes
Henry
A.Cole
Beckham

How anyone can leave out the likes of Roy Keane and Cantona at their peak is beyond me. Two of the most influential players in premier league history imo. I was close to picking Robbie Fowler, he was awsome before he had those injuries.

Because at Roy Keane's peak he was nowhere near as good as Patrick Veira in his prime. At least IMO.

Gotta agree with Fowler though when he came through the ranks at Liverpool he was incredible. The most natural finisher I've seen in the PL.

M

Mugwump

Viera rarely got the better of Keane. Plus veira spat at players. Keanes display against juventus in the European cup semi final is still the best individual performance from any footballer i have ever seen. I just think Keane at his best was far more influential on the pitch than the spitting senegaly.

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Viera rarely got the better of Keane. Plus veira spat at players. Keanes display against juventus in the European cup semi final is still the best individual performance from any footballer i have ever seen. I just think Keane at his best was far more influential on the pitch than the spitting senegaly.

Roy Keane purposefully ended a players career. So if Viera is going to be held back for spitting (it's a disgusting act; I think I'd rather be punched) then Keane should be held back as well for something which is worse.

I don't know about him being more influential on the pitch (yes that Juve game was fantastic) but Viera during the Invincibles season was incredible and his partnership was with Petit was incredible. Viera had everthing to his game.

S

Sharples

Hart
Neville Adams Stam Irwin
--------Viera---------
Beckham-----Ronaldo
-----Bergkamp------
Shearer Fowler

Subs:
Schmichael
Henry
Giggs
Mata
Silva
Campbell
Ya Ya Toure

Its bloody tough to get a team, numerous agruments for and against players

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hart
Neville Adams Stam Irwin
--------Viera---------
Beckham-----Ronaldo
-----Bergkamp------
Shearer Fowler

Subs:
Schmichael
Henry
Giggs
Mata
Silva
Campbell
Ya Ya Toure

Its bloody tough to get a team, numerous agruments for and against players

Very true. I debated about whether YaYa Toure should be in there but I left him out just due to this is only his 2nd season here. But the guy has all the tools to possibly the best all round midfielder the PL has seen. The guy has everything. As if Wenger turned him down as a kid lol.

S

Sharples

Very true. I debated about whether YaYa Toure should be in there but I left him out just due to this is only his 2nd season here. But the guy has all the tools to possibly the best all round midfielder the PL has seen. The guy has everything. As if Wenger turned him down as a kid lol.

Agreed, he is huge, rapid and technically got it all. The perfect ingredients for this league.

F

FLEET WOLF

Pity both Viera and Keane were such loathsome individuals, particularly the latter.

OoohRobbieRobbie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Carragher and Irwin, you are not serious, surely?

I am completely serious. So are the majority of others who have chosen him, who understand that Irwin is one of the best full backs in Premier League history. Are you serious that you don't think that? Carragher is down to personal opinion. I hate Gary Neville (although he was quite a good full back), but I'd still have JC over him. Passionate, strong, superb tackler, reads the game well, can play (has played) all across the back four, a leader, the list goes on. Do you not remember Irwin in his prime? My cousin had a box at Old Trafford in 1998, I went to a load of games for free that season (when Wolves weren't playing of course) and of all the 'superstars' on display from UTD, Valencia and a load of others I saw...Dennis Irwin was the outstanding performer, every single game. He literally did not put a foot wrong.

OoohRobbieRobbie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Because at Roy Keane's peak he was nowhere near as good as Patrick Veira in his prime. At least IMO.

Gotta agree with Fowler though when he came through the ranks at Liverpool he was incredible. The most natural finisher I've seen in the PL.

My reasoning for Vieira over Keane also. I know Keane was an inspirational player and leader, but it's Vieira all day for me. Unplayable.

OoohRobbieRobbie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Where's your XI FleetWolf? :D

It's very difficult to compile lists like these, I've done a load in the past with mates etc and on forums. The 'Greatest XI Ever' is not far off impossible! Too many factors involved and too many arguments could be made for so many players! Same with the Premier League all time XI, I could write 2 or 3 and argue the toss for all of them!

T

TommyWilms

I'd definitely have someone playing off shearer but the candidates are nearly impossible to desperate, cantona , le tissier, Zola, bergkamp to name but a few. And IMO cole and Neville to fill the full back positions. Don't think anyone would put anyone other than schmeichel in goals

D

Dorset DeWolf

............................Schmeichel.......................
G.Neville..............................................S.Pearce
...............Adams.....................Hyypia...............

..............................Vieira................................
................Beckham.....................Keane...............

Ronaldo......................................................Giggs

............................Shearer................................

SOUTHBANK_BULLY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
.........................schmeichel

..irwin...............adams........campbell.......pearce

.............viera.......keane.........gascoigne.....

...............cantana.....shearer......henry.....

subs
southall
giggs
scholes
andy cole
beckham
chris sutton
keown

T

TommyWilms

If we are talking premier league XI then how can anyone put Gasgoine in as he only played for everton in this time and he was past it. He would make my spl XI though.

OoohRobbieRobbie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
.........................schmeichel

..irwin...............adams........campbell.......pearce

.............viera.......keane.........gascoigne.....

...............cantana.....shearer......henry.....

subs
southall
giggs
scholes
andy cole
beckham
chris sutton
keown

Honest? For his Blackburn days? I respect your opinion but surely there are so many more that you could put over him! Ruud, Bergkamp, Zola, Fowler? Cracking shout on Campbell, he'd rival my two centre backs.

J

johnybig32

Cech

G.Neville
Adams
Campbell
A.Cole

Viera / speed
Keane

Ronaldo
Gerrard
Giggs

Shearer

SmokeyGB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
...........................Schmeichel............ ...........

G.Neville........Adams.......John Terry......... .....Irwin

...................Vieira............Keane. ..............

Ronaldo.......................... ...........Giggs

..............Bergkamp..............Shearer......

Subs
Van Der Saar
Ashley Cole
Carrigher
Gerrard
Lampard
Henry
Van Nestlroy

Missing out just are as follows
Shay Given/David Seaman
Rio Ferdinand
Phil Nevile
Gary Speed
Paul Scholes
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
Robin van Persie

M

Mugwump

My reasoning for Vieira over Keane also. I know Keane was an inspirational player and leader, but it's Vieira all day for me. Unplayable.

Can't agree there ORR. Keane was a lot better player than he is given credit for. I think some of his thuggish behaviour tarnishs people opinions of him, understandably. Some of the things he did on a pitch were unforgivable and i think he lost the plot a bit towards the end of his career.

I dont think Viera was as good as Keane, and i think the bloke is a coward personally and the tunnell incident confirms this for me. He didnt confront Keane or say anything to him after he yelled at Gary Neville. You could see it shook him up when they showed a clip on TV. He also didnt have the balls to look Neville in the eye after shaking his hand. I think people also forget Viera was a pretty dirty player also. He ended his career with the same amount of red cards as Keane. Doesnt really matter though who you prefer as a player really. Would be pretty boring if we all liked the same ones :D

OoohRobbieRobbie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fully see you points Mugwump, I know Keano was great and I think he did get the credit he rightly deserved (if not solely for his performance against Juventus at the Delli Alpi in their European Cup winning season - breathtaking). It's just purely down to personal opinion with those two. Both players had their dark sides, granted, Vieira was definitely no angel and a bit of a coward as you rightly say. I'd happily have both of them in my all time XI, but Scholes had to fit in that middle two! I just liked Vieira's grace, positional play, pace, shooting, passing and the fact that he entertained me more than Keane if I'm honest. More aesthetically pleasing I suppose I'm trying to say (technically-wise, not his dashing looks :D).

Back
Top Bottom