Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Pre Season Tour-South Korea

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You cared about Roma when you thought it supported your argument.
No I didn't!!

"I can't say I follow Roma closely enough to know, but if this is the first pre-season tour they've had cancelled then I would give them the benefit of the doubt. If they also had a pre-season tour cancelled last year then, like us, it's a pretty bad look."

I openly admitted I didn't know. You provided me with more information and I said "that's bad from Roma as well", even though the two incidents aren't exactly the same.

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Off to Porto for a week from 24/07, so hoping we play a friendly nearby during that week that isn't behind closed doors. Clearly disappointing though from a marketing perspective and quality of opposition that the South Korea mini tournament isn't happening.

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's actually a lot worse than I thought from Wolves' perspective when you read into it.

- They knew two months ago the original tour investors had pulled out.
- They still announced the tour on May 11, despite knowing this.
- Of course, some fans booked independently, even though Wolves knew there was a possibility this wouldn't go ahead.
- They put an article up three days ago with Hwang talking about the tour, strange considering the known doubts.

They can resolve this somewhat by refunding fans, which they simply must do considering they told them a tour was going ahead even though they knew there were doubts.

So, yeah, there's actually a lot to blame Wolves for here. It hasn't been sprung on them, they've known for two months that it may not go ahead.
3 days ago the club were still going to the tournament, the club are not to blame for this

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No I didn't!!

"I can't say I follow Roma closely enough to know, but if this is the first pre-season tour they've had cancelled then I would give them the benefit of the doubt. If they also had a pre-season tour cancelled last year then, like us, it's a pretty bad look."

I openly admitted I didn't know. You provided me with more information and I said "that's bad from Roma as well", even though the two incidents aren't exactly the same.
You said this, citing Roma to support your argument...

No because Roma saw this coming and pulled out a week or so ago, and Celtic are playing in Japan more than Korea.

Plus, as far as I know, they didn't fail to organise a pre-season tour last year, like we did with America.

We're either really unlucky again and again, or the people involved are just incompetent.
You've said why you wouldn't criticize Roma because "they saw it coming".

I know it's pedantic but Roma was central to your argument until it was pointed out to you what's happened in the past, then magically they're irrelevant to the argument!

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You said this, citing Roma to support your argument...

You've said why you wouldn't criticize Roma because "they saw it coming".

I know it's pedantic but Roma was central to your argument until it was pointed out to you what's happened in the past, then magically they're irrelevant to the argument!
It's absolutely not central to my argument at all.

My whole argument now is Wolves knew the pre-season tour was in doubt, yet they still announced it. That makes them entirely to blame.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why are people ignoring the fact Wolves announced a pre-season tour that they knew may not go ahead because the tour investor had pulled out?
No one's ignoring it. It happened. Roma and Celtic announced it too.

Wolves announced it, as did the other club's in good faith that the tour organisers would meet their end of the deal...

Wolves, Celtic and Roma are not in breach of contract. The tour organisers are.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No one's ignoring it. It happened. Roma and Celtic announced it too.

Wolves announced it, as did the other club's in good faith that the tour organisers would meet their end of the deal...

Wolves, Celtic and Roma are not in breach of contract. The tour organisers are.
Yes, so if we were on a Celtic or Roma forum I would criticise those clubs. We're not. This is about Wolves.

To make it better though, all three clubs are completely out of order for announcing a pre-season tour that they knew didn't have the required funding at the time.

Last edited:

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why are people ignoring the fact Wolves announced a pre-season tour that they knew may not go ahead because the tour investor had pulled out?

A few on twitter saying that this trip has been in trouble for weeks but some fans have paid large amounts to travel independently. Hope the club can help them get refunds as thousands of pounds apparently paid by some.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Definitely not
Definitely not what?

Russell Jones said this: "We have been in close dialogue with the tour promoters for the past two months as they sought new investment, following the loss of the original tour investor, but unfortunately, and despite numerous promises, they have not delivered."

Despite knowing the original tour investor had pulled out, they still announced Wolves' pre-season tour of South Korea, knowing some fans would book.

It's also crafty because they didn't share their tour packages. Why? Because they knew the tour was in doubt.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Only explanation haha.

Bit of a kick in the teeth for them that they spent all morning defending Wolves and Russell Jones had admitted in the article they knew two months ago that the money men behind the tour had pulled out.
Just caught though aren't they? Obviously received assurances that a new investor would turn up. Could have withdrawn ages ago, but hung in there and hoped for the best. So as so often in retrospect it's a mistake, at the time it's entirely understandable as it was for Celtic and Roma.

I would agree that anyone who has lost out financially by booking a trip should be compensated as appropriate though.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But it was.

I've highlighted the operative word for you. You're welcome.
It really wasn't. You're just trying to take it down a different road. Roma cancelling a trip in Italy in 2019 is not the same as Wolves cancelling two overseas tours in successive years either.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just caught though aren't they? Obviously received assurances that a new investor would turn up. Could have withdrawn ages ago, but hung in there and hoped for the best. So as so often in retrospect it's a mistake, at the time it's entirely understandable as it was for Celtic and Roma.
That's slightly generous but fair enough assessment.

However, should they have not warned fans not to book? Couldn't they have not announced anything until it was 100% certain?

OldBrightonWolf

Reaction score
3 days ago the club were still going to the tournament, the club are not to blame for this
I posted the reply on here that I had from Fan Services 3 days ago which, together with lack of ticket sale information, Roma rumours and still no details on the club's own fan package tour, didn't really dispel my fear that things were maybe not going well behind the scenes. As the press release requested I've contacted Fan Services again today to let them know my 'level of disruption'

Beijing Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Definitely not what?

Russell Jones said this: "We have been in close dialogue with the tour promoters for the past two months as they sought new investment, following the loss of the original tour investor, but unfortunately, and despite numerous promises, they have not delivered."

Despite knowing the original tour investor had pulled out, they still announced Wolves' pre-season tour of South Korea, knowing some fans would book.

It's also crafty because they didn't share their tour packages. Why? Because they knew the tour was in doubt.
Even reading what you put there it is pretty obviously not the fault of Wolves at all.

The original investor pulled out but the organises told Wolves that they had other people lined up. Turns out they lied. Nothing to do with Wolves. Celtic and Roma were also lied to.

Why are you so desperate to criticise the club, it’s very strange.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Even reading what you put there it is pretty obviously not the fault of Wolves at all.

The original investor pulled out but the organises told Wolves that they had other people lined up. Turns out they lied. Nothing to do with Wolves. Celtic and Roma were also lied to.

Why are you so desperate to criticise the club, it’s very strange.

It's not 'desperate', they announced something that didn't happen and they knew it was not 100% sorted.

You're right, they were lied to by the original investor. But why did they announce it?

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I posted the reply on here that I had from Fan Services 3 days ago which, together with lack of ticket sale information, Roma rumours and still no details on the club's own fan package tour, didn't really dispel my fear that things were maybe not going well behind the scenes. As the press release requested I've contacted Fan Services again today to let them know my 'level of disruption'
Really hope you get your money back, all the best. I think Wolves have stitched you and others up with thousands of pounds at stake.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, so if we were on a Celtic or Roma forum I would criticise those clubs. We're not. This is about Wolves.

To make it better though, all three clubs are completely out of order for announcing a pre-season tour that they knew didn't have the required funding at the time.
You're a professional whinger, chomping at the bit checking news feeds for any negative stories so you can "give 'em hell" on the Internet.

We've all clocked you for what you are. It's tedious and predictable.

When we lost to Leeds you predicted we'd not win another game all season. We won the next five home games lol.

Try and enjoy the summer, save yourself for the inevitable defeat at Old Trafford. You'll be like a coiled spring ready to explode in panic, it'll be hilarious!!!

Beijing Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It's not 'desperate', they announced something that didn't happen and they knew it was not 100% sorted.

You're right, they were lied to by the original investor. But why did they announce it?
Seems they were lied to by the tour promoter not the investor.

The original investor left and the tour promoter told them that they had other investors already lined up so the tour wouldn’t be disrupted.

The fault lies with the promoter.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seems they were lied to by the tour promoter not the investor.

The original investor left and the tour promoter told them that they had other investors already lined up so the tour wouldn’t be disrupted.

The fault lies with the promoter.
Yes, it does. But why did they announce it?

so-called fan

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
An official with Stadium X/USG said the company had been prepared to deliver on its financial commitment by Friday.

"We were supposed to make an advance payment in May and then pay 70 percent of the balance by the end of June," the official said. "Our understanding was that we were still in talks. And we were surprised to hear Wolverhampton announce the cancellation unilaterally. They'd even visited Korea twice to check on the hotel and stadiums."

On Saturday, Italian media had reported that AS Roma would not travel to South Korea in July because the local promoters had not honored their financial commitments. In addition to playing Wolves on July 29, AS Roma were to take on the K League 1 club Incheon United in Incheon on Aug. 1.

The Stadium X/USG official said AS Roma had yet to make any official announcement on the trip.

"I believe they will reconsider (their decision to pull out) if we send money by Friday," the official said. "We have not yet paid Wolverhampton and Roma, but we've already sent money to Celtic."

In late May, a proposed two-match exhibition series in South Korea between the Italian champions Napoli and the Spanish club RCD Mallorca was canceled due to scheduling conflicts with the K League and financial issues.

Separately, treble winners Manchester City and Spanish club Atletico Madrid are scheduled to square off in Seoul on July 30. (Yonhap)

We're getting the blame now, because Roma told people they were going to withdraw but never made it official. It looks to everybody else like we've brought the whole thing down ourselves.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Because they didn’t know. The promoter told them the tour would 100% go along and we have only just found out something was wrong.
Let's hope Russell Jones doesn't get any emails from a Nigerian Prince!

There's no justification to announcing a pre-season tour when it hasn't been 100% confirmed. They can end any major problems by refunding all the fans, so then there's no massive issue.

It is a shame that we won't get to play Celtic & Roma, as both would have provided good tests. But will wait to see who we play instead.

Beijing Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

We're getting the blame now, because Roma told people they were going to withdraw but never made it official. It looks to everybody else like we've brought the whole thing down ourselves.
No it doesn’t at all.

Quite clear from the article that the promoters were not able to make do on their promise to get new investors despite promising Wolves they would.

The fact that Celtic were paid their fee would of lead Wolves to
believe the tour would be going ahead.

Anyone using this to criticise the club must be mis-reading the article.

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You need to put “/s” at the end when you’re being sarcastic or ironic. It’s hard to tell just from text.
To be fair, you shouldn't need to telegraph irony, it's just that the range of opinions on here do sometimes make it hard to interpret, no matter how much you might exaggerate in order to imply the humour.

Back
Top Bottom