Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

PPG Thread - Season 2020/21

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just to let you know (forum software permitting) I do plan to do this again this season. I won't post week one as frankly the graphs won't show anything meaningful, however if there is anything you guys particularly want to see different to last season, please let me know and I'll do my best to accommodate (although please remember I have a full time job and 3 young kids!).

Conscious we've had a Wolves vs Man City (1st/2nd season of money chart) the last two years. We fell short of Man City's 2nd season of money last season so wasn't planning on doing a third season of money comparison but if you have alternative suggestions, I'm all ears.

New stuff for this year - I'm going to try and keep track of goals per game, shots, fouls etc given Nuno's suggestion of wanting to be more attacking

Some stats to keep to going - last season we only scored twice in the opening 15 minutes of a game all season, this season we've done that in the first game :)

Also we have the same number of points this season as we did on the same day last season, but having played 4 games fewer :)

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Thanks for doing this really enjoy seeing the stats (agree about the Citeh comparison, we aren't really doing what they did).

Would be interested in set piece goals analysis, something I tried to look at last season but short of wading through videos and totting them up I couldn't find any stats. Just a personal thing as I think we could improve on our corners and with us having 50% of our goals so far from this route would like to compare with previous seasons.

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looking forward to your updates @giantwolf - must be within 24 hours of the games else there will be hell to pay ;)

Ok, although by 10am on the Monday morning following a weekend game is my agreement.

Oh and if its not been clear from previous threads - since the Mix moved platforms during lockdown there has been issues posting charts after a while (@bod101 was looking into it), so if that happens again its not my fault.

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thanks for doing this really enjoy seeing the stats (agree about the Citeh comparison, we aren't really doing what they did).

Would be interested in set piece goals analysis, something I tried to look at last season but short of wading through videos and totting them up I couldn't find any stats. Just a personal thing as I think we could improve on our corners and with us having 50% of our goals so far from this route would like to compare with previous seasons.

I'll try my best

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ok, although by 10am on the Monday morning following a weekend game is my agreement.

Oh and if its not been clear from previous threads - since the Mix moved platforms during lockdown there has been issues posting charts after a while (@bod101 was looking into it), so if that happens again its not my fault.
What if the game's on a Mon? Does that mean nowt for a week???

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Your doing some great work, but can you please inform us in advance if you will require a week or two off due to, giving birth, holidays, sickness, pets requiring the vets etc.

We'd Hate to have to issue warnings, remember what happened to shiffers?

Seriously, I love a good chart, makes Monday mornings more bearable :)

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I'll try my best

I've quickly totted it up on excel, hopefully this will help @giantwolf with his analysis.

It might not be 100% accurate and others might want to correct me where they think I've got one wrong (I've done as much as possible by memory and checked highlights on Sky for others) but hopefully it'll give you a basis to work from if you did want to try and create some sort of analysis based on set piece / open play goals.

1600175676849.png

John de Wolf's hairdryer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've quickly totted it up on excel, hopefully this will help @giantwolf with his analysis.

It might not be 100% accurate and others might want to correct me where they think I've got one wrong (I've done as much as possible by memory and checked highlights on Sky for others) but hopefully it'll give you a basis to work from if you did want to try and create some sort of analysis based on set piece / open play goals.

View attachment 17612

Only one direct freekick scored in the league all season last season...wow!

Last edited:

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Only direct freekick scored in the league all season last season...wow!
Yep, away at Bournemouth. Bennett's throw's were as effective as our direct freekicks.

Neves nearly scored a good one at home to Norwich to be fair too, Krul tipped it on to the post.

As @Very Proud (AKA Still Proud) has said, set pieces definitely seems to be an are we can improve from this season and it was noticeable that we seemed more dangerous from them last night where we could have had a couple on another day.

ShifnalWolf

Graphmaster General
Reaction score
Your doing some great work, but can you please inform us in advance if you will require a week or two off due to, giving birth, holidays, sickness, pets requiring the vets etc.

We'd Hate to have to issue warnings, remember what happened to shiffers?

Seriously, I love a good chart, makes Monday mornings more bearable :)
I still get nightmares about it now - couldn't enjoy a holiday for 2 years because I knew the onslaught on here would be too much when i returned!!!

Glad @giantwolf is taking it from strength to strength!

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

View attachment 17612

good work... thanks

Chode

Reaction score
Good work @giantwolf

If we are not doing the Man City comparison maybe it would be nice to see the point tally per game compared to our previous two campaigns to show any progress we may have made.

Last edited:

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ok, a limited selection of graphs to start............

GW 2
0 points - Man C (h)
PPG - 1.5 (down 1.5)
Extrapolated points total = 58

PPG - 1.5 - Better start than last season (looking at the positives)

wolves_chart_1.JPG

Based on GW's we've made a better start than this time last season. Compared to the equivalent games (one win, one loss) we are aligned but the results reversed

wolves_chart_2.JPG

Not such an interesting graph so far - one win, one loss

wolves_chart_3.JPG

As already mentioned, a slightly better start than last season. Obviously months are out of sync, so the months are aligned to this season but historic comparisons will be the equivalent (1st, 2nd, 3rd month) from last season.

wolves_chart_4.JPG

As requested by @Very Proud (AKA Still Proud) , I'll attempt to keep track of the type of goals scored to see if we can improve on set pieces. Thanks to @Chris H for historic info

wolves_chart_5.JPG

I've already had issues posting this morning so not sure how long this thread will go on, however as I said, I'll add more of the regular charts as they become more interesting. I also have a few new ones in the pipeline.

Thanks for reading

Last edited:

North Bank

Reaction score
Based on GW's we've made a better start than this time last season. Compared to the equivalent games (one win, one loss) we are aligned but the results reversed

View attachment 17748

Slow start last season illustrated by that depressing line before we kicked into gear in week 7.

After our next 8 games (Only Leicester finished above us last season) I think we should be aiming to be on 20 points. It'd put us way above last seasons first 10 games and slightly ahead of the equivalent fixtures.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I still get nightmares about it now - couldn't enjoy a holiday for 2 years because I knew the onslaught on here would be too much when i returned!!!

Glad @giantwolf is taking it from strength to strength!
Wimp, lol.... Seriously, thanks for your past efforts....

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just to let you know, I won't be adding to everyone's misery this morning by updating this today. I may do it later this week

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
GW 4
3 points - Fulham (h) - some welcome points and a step in the right direction
PPG - 1.5 (up 0.5)
Extrapolated points total = 57

PPG - Bang on 1.5 PPG which by and large was where we spent most of last season, just hovering below the black line (7th place finish).

wolves_chart_4_ful.JPG

Currently we are 3 points better off compared to this time last season (4 games played), however 3 points worse off if we compare the "equivalent fixtures"

wolves_chart_3_ful.JPG

By month Sept was very much the same as last season's first month. Early days in October, but given we finished last seasons second month with 1PPG, there is plenty of scope for improvement.

wolves_chart_1_ful.JPG

Again, early days but as with much of last season, our home & away record was very much a like. Games vs opposition league position are based on their position as at time of most recent update - so at least we're currently beating those below us.

WOLVES_CHART_FULHAM.JPG.
A chart to calm the nerves (a little) - league position and points different to 6th place by game week - this season vs last.

We are better off in both league position and gap to 6th currently - for what its worth.

wolves_chart_5_ful.JPG

As requested by @Very Proud (AKA Still Proud) - goals by type. Way too early and we've only scored 4 goals in 4 games, but here you go.

Thanks to @Chris H for historic info.

wolves_chart_6_ful.JPG

I am also tracking shots per game, possession, fouls etc to see if it eventually translates to Nuno's wish to be more attacking. Suffice to say the stats (as well as the team) are very much work in progress at the moment, so watch this space.

Thanks for looking.

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
GW 5
3 points - Leeds (a) - wasn't pretty at times, but another job done and now for some uninterrupted time on the training pitch
PPG - 1.8 (up 0.3)
Extrapolated points total = 68

PPG - Up to 1.8 PPG which is roughly a 5th place finish based n the previous 6 seasons - although 68pts would have finished 3rd last season

wolves_chart_5_lee.JPG

Currently we are 6 points better off compared to this time last season (5 games played), however 3 points worse off if we compare the "equivalent fixtures"

wolves_chart_4_lee.JPG

100% record in October.... so far. Added bonus is this comes after an international break where to traditionally struggle to get results..... maybe it was the "international" kit that helped!

wolves_chart1_lee.JPG

Again, early days - two of our three wins have been on the road so the away record edges ahead for now.

wolves_chart_2_lee.JPG
A chart to calm the nerves - 13 places different this season from last

wolves_chart_6_lee.JPG

As requested by @Very Proud (AKA Still Proud) - goals by type. Way too early and we've only scored 5 goals in 5 games, but here you go.

wolves_chart_7_lee.JPG

I am also tracking shots per game, possession, fouls etc to see if it eventually translates to Nuno's wish to be more attacking. Suffice to say the stats (as well as the team) are very much work in progress at the moment, so watch this space.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• wolves_chart_3_lee.JPG
    wolves_chart_3_lee.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 12

LythamWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
GW 5
3 points - Leeds (a) - wasn't pretty at times, but another job done and now for some uninterrupted time on the training pitch
PPG - 1.8 (up 0.3)

PPG - Up to 1.8 PPG which is roughly a 5th place finish based n the previous 6 seasons - although 68pts would have finished 3rd last season

View attachment 18120

Currently we are 6 points better off compared to this time last season (5 games played), however 3 points worse off if we compare the "equivalent fixtures"

View attachment 18123

100% record in October.... so far. Added bonus is this comes after an international break where to traditionally struggle to get results..... maybe it was the "international" kit that helped!

View attachment 18126

Again, early days - two of our three wins have been on the road so the away record edges ahead for now.

View attachment 18121

View attachment 18124

As requested by @Very Proud (AKA Still Proud) - goals by type. Way too early and we've only scored 5 goals in 5 games, but here you go.

View attachment 18125

Thanks for looking.
Great stuff Giant, thanks for all your work. Love it, especially after a 3 pointer!!

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
GW 5
PPG - 1.8 (up 0.3)

View attachment 18120

View attachment 18123

View attachment 18126

View attachment 18121

View attachment 18124

View attachment 18125

Thanks for looking.
:hearteyes:

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Am I a glory hunter if I only look at this thread when we win :D
I don’t think you’re alone. Frankly when we lose, I wish I hadn’t volunteered to take over as it’s a massive chore to update and try and look for positives

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
GW 6
1 point - Newcastle (h) - a step up in positivity, shots & possession - need to work on being more clinical
PPG - 1.67 (down 0.13)
Extrapolated points total = 63

PPG - down to 1.63 PPG which is roughly a 6th place finish based n the previous 6 seasons - although 63pts would have finished 3rd or 4th last season

wolves_chart_5_new.JPG

As with last week, we are 6 points better off compared to this time last season (6 games played), however 3 points worse off if we compare the "equivalent fixtures"

wolves_chart_4_new.JPG

unbeaten October.... so far. A win on Friday puts us at 2.5, draw, 2.00, loss 1.75 - even with the loss, there were only 2 months last season that gave us better

wolves_chart_1_new.JPG

3 unbeaten - after two losses tats very welcome, so scope to be positive whilst we're transistioning

wolves_chart_3_new.JPG

Again, early days - away results edging ahead currently. The results vs positions are very much in flux as the table is tight at the moment.

wolves_chart_2_new.JPG

A slight drop in league position but still zero points behind 6

wolves_chart_7_new.JPG

wolves_chart_6_new.JPG

I am also tracking shots per game, possession, fouls etc to see if it eventually translates to Nuno's wish to be more attacking. Suffice to say the stats (as well as the team) are very much work in progress at the moment, so watch this space. Was tempted to start to show them this week but still thinking of the best way to display

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Wow, just catching up with this - great analysis. And a special thanks for the Goals Type Analysis, really appreciate it.

North Bank

Reaction score
For the amount of short corners we have done over the last couple of years, I'm very surprised only 5% of the goals came from them.

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
GW 7
3 points - Palace (h) - back to winning ways and the best performance so far
PPG - 1.86 (up 0.19)
Extrapolated points total = 70

PPG - up to 1.86 PPG which is roughly a 4th place finish based n the previous 6 seasons - although 70pts would have finished comfortably 3rd last season

wolves_chart_10cp.JPG

As with last week, we are 6 points better off compared to this time last season (7 games played), however 3 points worse off if we compare the "equivalent fixtures"

wolves_chart_5.JPG

unbeaten October..... our second best month over the course of this and last season

wolves_chart_4_cp.JPG

4 unbeaten - after two losses stats very welcome, so scope to be positive whilst we're transitioning

WOLVES_CHART_1_CP.JPG

Again, early days - away results edging ahead currently. The results vs positions are very much in flux as the table is tight at the moment.

wolves_chart_2_cp.JPGwolves_chart_3_cp.JPG

Doesn't this look good?!!

wolves_chart_6_cp.JPG

As requested by @Very Proud (AKA Still Proud) - goals by type. Way too early and we've only scored 8 goals in 7 games, but here you go.

wolves_chart_8_cp.JPG

Again early days, but a return of this chart, showing an early shift in goal timings. Last season 73% of our goals where scored in 2nd half. This has currently dropped to 50%. On the flip side we are conceding more in the 2nd half - 65% vs 35% last season

wolves_chart_7_cp.JPG

Thanks for looking.

Back
Top Bottom