Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Portuguese, Portuguese, Portuguese……

Living at other WWFC

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Obviously I have been thrilled by much of the Portuguese input.
However, I think the longer we stay Portuguese in an English league, the less attractive we become to British players.
That would be damaging in the long term.

waggys left foot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With the benefit of hindsight the problem is that we have delegated managerial appointments to Mendes who picks someone who is not adverse to us recruiting his players who are predominantly Portuguese.It's just too cosy and unclear whether Mendes represents the club ,the selling club or the player.Smoke and mirrors.

This means our owners are not learning how to pick a manager and our internal recruitment function is weak and immature (can't find a striker ).

But serious injuries have also played their part as did the virus which obsessed the Chinese and meant a lack of resources being put into the team.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry to be thick.
Can someone just explain to me this Portuguese stranglehold at WWFC …..
Arguably the best marketplace for talent in Europe, much better value than in England and we have direct access to it through a super agent. It'd be stupid not to use it almost exclusively, but, we could do with trying balance it out a little over the next few years in my opinion

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Best times for me supporting Wolves . But is this part of the reason that we are so boring Infront of goal . Just saying that Nuno last season was poor and also Bruno's all the time we have failed to dominate games .

Hopefully it is just something down to management styles but if not then we might be in for a shock this season.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Martin Samuels comments

I read this yesterday and i found it a bit vexing. We have lots of Portuguese players because of our links with Gestifute. It has clearly worked for us.
Manager wise, our first choice has always been Lopetegui. Zenga was Italian. Lambert was English.

Lopetegui is on the list this time.
Bo Svensson is Danish.
Every other bugger is admittedly Portuguese. But I don't really care.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With the benefit of hindsight the problem is that we have delegated managerial appointments to Mendes who picks someone who is not adverse to us recruiting his players who are predominantly Portuguese.It's just too cosy and unclear whether Mendes represents the club ,the selling club or the player.Smoke and mirrors.

This means our owners are not learning how to pick a manager and our internal recruitment function is weak and immature (can't find a striker ).

But serious injuries have also played their part as did the virus which obsessed the Chinese and meant a lack of resources being put into the team.
Regardless of who’s in the coaches seat, wolves (Fosun) will always rely on Mendes/Gestifute as it’s simply their business model, it’s why they brought the club in the first place (on the advice of Gestifute).

Like all business relationships there are pros and cons, the latter of which are under more scrutiny currently because of Bruno’s failure and our current league position.

I don’t think Fosun are naive about football. They know they lack football knowledge so are heavily invested in Mendes as a “fixer”. It’s why the whole argument about having a “proper” director of football (whatever that is) is a pointless one because whoever came in would have to work under the partnership which on the whole has worked exactly how they wanted.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I read this yesterday and i found it a bit vexing. We have lots of Portuguese players because of our links with Gestifute. It has clearly worked for us.
Manager wise, our first choice has always been Lopetegui. Zenga was Italian. Lambert was English.

Lopetegui is on the list this time.
Bo Svensson is Danish.
Every other bugger is admittedly Portuguese. But I don't really care.
Lambert is definitely not English, lol. He's a sweaty....

Back
Top Bottom