Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Portuguese, Portuguese, Portuguese……

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we need someone non-portugeause to mix it up. One part of this is how much respect a relatively young Portuguese manager gets/seeks in the presence of a Portuguese legend (Mouts). Even if Mouts is golden, it still may be a strange dynamic.

The only Portuguese manager I want now is a duff and robben era Mourinho.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fosun have an interest in Gestifute, Gestifute in turn have an interest in Wolves. Gestifute are headed up by the biggest agent in Football, the bulk of whose client base is Portuguese, which provides us access to names we wouldn't ordinarily be able to attract.

Pedro Martins, Bruno Lage and Carlos Carvahal aren't on that list though.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Crikey, I go back to the days when clubs were represented just by England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland or ROI.
Occasionally a South African would come along and give you something to conjur with, often sending you into a Geography book to look at the atlas.

I don't have a problem with things as they are tbh just as long as there's no bias towards certain players who happen to be of the same nationality.

Michellis

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fosun have an interest in Gestifute, Gestifute in turn have an interest in Wolves. Gestifute are headed up by the biggest agent in Football, the bulk of whose client base is Portuguese, which provides us access to names we wouldn't ordinarily be able to attract.

Thanks Adrian for your sensible answer.
That has made the position clearer to me.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Bruno Lage is widely reported to have Gestifute as his agent.

so-called fan

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

I'm confused by that last bit. Are they not clients of Mendes?

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not all signings etc are Mendes /Gestifute clients. But Mendes has all the contacts and knows who to talk to to get access to other players, a good word from him can help get things moving with other signings too.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Isn't it Fosun Chairman Guo Guangchang that has the interest in Gestifute and not Fosun directly as that would be a conflict of interests and not allowed (was all looked into when Fosun took over). Guo is a friend of Mendes and so as on Good terms Fosun/Wolves have a good relationship with Mendes and and get advice on players etc.

Gestifute have no direct commercial interest in Wolves/Fosun other than through Guo

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Posted elsewhere, but of the likely candidates only Conceicao is represented by Gestifute

Not quite that simple though. Lopetegui is represented by Carlos Bucero. Three guesses who Bucero is heavily linked to....

A clue from our recent past....

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Their talent is better and cheaper than English.. our main facilitator is Portuguese.. most our squad speaks it. Hope that helps
Not to mention that the young lads we have don't seem to be out on the **** every weekend. Culturally they seem a lot more mature than British players which is a great thing for us!

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Personally, I'm not sure I want to have another Portuguese manager as they all seem to play negative football.
I think that's more down to the individuals than it being a national trait!

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I totally agree that the Portuguese players have created a team we could only dream of in the Morgan and dare I say it Sir Jack era.
However, we also have been backed financially in a way we could have only dreamt of six or so years ago.
Nuno bought a counter attacking style of play that was fresh we were first got promoted but in the mega tough world of the Premier League our inability to evolve meant the same team and tactics started to go backwards.
If our next Manager is Portuguese has us challenging back in the top half of the table then great but to do this I think they need to make some decisions and move on some players who are too similar in playing style to others.
For me, we absolutely need some pace and quick feet.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Their talent is better and cheaper than English.. our main facilitator is Portuguese.. most our squad speaks it. Hope that helps
And if you weren’t sure on the first bit, remember how much Forest stumped up for MGW.
Now compare him to say, Jota. The Jota that had some champions league experience, bought for 12m. Who was even better than MGW in his standout championship campaign.
12 million. Morgan went for a minimum £27m.

That’s why we do business there. Then you have Jorge, who also likes doing business there.
Because there are a number of clubs with incredible talent factories, usually teetering on the brink of a financial crisis, allow 3rd party ownership and other dodgy deals…it’s a super-agent playground.

That help?

inaglasshouse

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we had just had two British would we cry out for a non Brit?
Its clearly the way Fosun work, setting out a long term strategy of agent, coach and staff sharing a common culture. That culture speaks Portuguese but is also able to communicate well in English so as not to exclude the home grown players and alienate the fans.
Having babled all that out, I wish we would be bold and get in Tummy Tuchel to mix it up big time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom