Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

(Poll) Who do you want to replace Nuno?

Reaction score
Amorim is a risky move.
Why? Well, his season with the lions can be a moment of brilliance or a fluke.

The COVID pandemic deeply afected continental football, the calendar was tight for the teams competing in the Champions League and Europa league late stages. Sporting had the "luck" os losing in the preliminary rounds of Europa League and in the first stage of the domestic cup. They were left with full 7 days to prepare the matches while their rivals had to play back-to-back matches, with less than 72 hours of preparation, proper training and physical recovery for most of the season.

The individual performance of some of the palyers was an absolute outlier.
Coates was an average centre back at best, slow as an old carriage, prone to mistakes for 5 consecutive seasons, his only strength being his aerial ability. But during this season he was an absolute powerhouse. He used to score some goals, like any tall defender who's good in the air. But his goals this season proved decisive, most of them came late in matches where Sporting was playing bad, drawing or even losing with Coates being used as an emergency striker.

Pedro Gonçalves is a promising midfielder with a pretty common number of goals for a central midfielder. He scored 23 goals.

Palhinha, average defensive midfielder, prone to fouls and getting booked. Was an absolute stalwart this season. Was able to escape many yellow and red cards. He even avoided suspension after receiving his 5th yellow of the season thanks to a strange legal technicality.

His game rellies on a permanent search for vertical moves on the wings, long passes, second balls, physical duels and set pieces.
Plays with a dee lying 5 man defense, deploys a defensive midfielder as kind of a buffer for incoming attacks and counter attacks, 1 central midfielder, 2 wide midfielders and one lone striker, usually a hardworking striker which lacks goalscoring prowess in favour of creating chances to his midfielders.
The style is defensive, conservative, only one man is left in the opposing midfield with the rest of the team defending inside their own half of the field.

Last edited:
R

reanswolf

Amorim is a risky move.
Why? Well, his season with the lions can be a moment of brilliance or a fluke.

The COVID pandemic deeply afected continental football, the calender was tight for the teams competing in the Champions League and Europa league late stages. Sporting had the "luck" os losing in the preliminary rounds of Europa League and in the first stage of the domestic cup. They were left with full 7 days to prepare the matches while their rivals had to play back-to-back matches, with less than 72 hours of preparation, proper training and physical recovery for most of the season.

The individual performance of some of the palyers was an absolute outlier.
Coates was an average centre back at best, slow as an old carriage, prone to mistakes for 5 consecutive seasons, his only strength being his aerial ability. But during this season he was an absolute powerhouse. He used to score some goals, like any tall defender who's good in the air. But his goals this season proved decisive, most of them came late in matches where Sporting was playing bad, drawing or even losing with Coates being used as an emergency striker.

Pedro Gonçalves is a promising midfielder with a pretty common number of goals for a central midfielder. He scored 23 goals.

Palhinha, average defensive midfielder, prone to fouls and geting booked. Was an absolute stalwart this season. Was able to escape many yellow and red cards. He even avoided suspension after receiving his 5th yellow of the season thanks to a strange legal technicality.

His game rellies on a permanent search for vertical moves on the wings, long passes, second balls, physical duels and set pieces.
Plays with a dee lying 5 man defense, deploys a defensive midfielder as kind of a buffer for incoming attacks and counter attacks, 1 central midfielder, 2 wide midfielders and one lone striker, usually a hardworking striker which lacks goalscoring prowess in favour of creating chances to his midfielders.
The style is defensive, conservative, only one man is left in the opposing midfield with the rest of the team defending inside their own half of the field.
Thanks for the perspective as seen from Portugal.

Incidentally I was very impressed with Palhinha when he played for Braga here, but that was just one game against a very slow Wolves midfield.

Appreciate your input on all these matters.

Reaction score

Incidentally I was very impressed with Palhinha when he played for Braga here, but that was just one game against a very slow Wolves midfield.

Palhinha's developmentas a player has been quite good. Just don't expect him to create much. He is an old style defensive midfielder, strong, hard, physically imposing. Lacks tackling judgement.

Reaction score

I'm specialized in Iberian football, Portugal and Spain.
And a connoisseur of continental football in general.

I have some knowledge of South American football, mostly nice young footballers that are worth to keep under the radar.
But most of them would't even get a work permit :grimacing:

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gonna be a hard act to follow.....

690.jpg

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Sergio is aiming higher, like fighting for the title in one of the top 5 leagues.
That or he will renew his contract with the dragons.
As has been mentioned by some if Fosun are still serious about the project and a manager is ambitious we are within reach of achieving that. We have good players that have been under achieving and with a few good additions and better coaching we could do it.

R

reanswolf

Palhinha's developmentas a player has been quite good. Just don't expect him to create much. He is an old style defensive midfielder, strong, hard, physically imposing. Lacks tackling judgement.
Maybe exactly the type that Dendoncker isn't - that might free up space for Neves to thrive.

DPE

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
View attachment 21453

made us look like fools in the Europa League. Almost won the Spanish League this year. Was a past fosun target

13sarri-web-01-superJumbo.jpg

Plays attacking football, knows the game, is a free-agent, and averaged almost 2 ppg at chelsea

View attachment 21454

Plays attacking football, contract ends in june, and has won the UCL, and knows the English game
I would have him over Nuno.

R

reanswolf

As has been mentioned by some if Fosun are still serious about the project and a manager is ambitious we are within reach of achieving that. We have good players that have been under achieving and with a few good additions and better coaching we could do it.
Can't see a manager leaving Porto for us, with all respect.
Especially if there is a limitation on money we can spend.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whoever it is, get off to a bad start next season, you know what chant is going to be coming from the South Bank. And it includes Chinese owners, and a kid from Porto.

Fosun, what have you done, ****ers.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree, Sergio Conceicao from Porto. Sent off 4 times this season, lots of passion and has built a very attractive side. However, he will probably move to a bigger club.

Yeah, I least I remember him as a top quality player in a great Portugal side. Only ever heard of Lange as a possible Nuno successor, know nothing about him, so he must be rubbish. :D

Apparently Conceicao has worked with Fabio and Vitinha already at Porto. Presumably several other of our players, too. (And I'm told he's well aware that Max Kilman played Futsal for England).

I don't think we look like a step up career wise for him, though, so can't see him being interested. If we'd been top 8 again, maybe, But then if we were top 8 again, Nuno possibly wouldn't be leaving.

Manic88

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Strikes you as a Coach who is good at getting the best out of what he's given initially but when it comes time to adapt and progress, struggles to do so.

that is what we were told 4 years ago...

pass the riot shield though saying that on here

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not a Portugeezer Mendes client just because they fit the mould. We've established ourselves using the 'pinch the Portuguese' model but we are in a position to build on that and move on now. That said, if there's a great Portuguese manager out there (so not Lage or this useless 2021 Mourinho) then fine...

D

Deleted member 4184

Pep Guardiola , at least then hed give us a barca style of play

Cornwall Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We have had a saint with Nuno only one way up .. Jorge Jesus .. averages over 2 ppg with last 4 clubs

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have absolutely no idea :(

Big Sam knows the league and would probably keep us up, Rafa would probably want too much money and a big squad investment.

I just can't see past the current favourite - Bruno Lage

Mendes's client, Portuguese, good with youth apparently, and has 3 year's experience of English football

I have checked our Portuguese players' career history and there does not appear to be any that overlapped with Lage's career - some come close. Fabio had a period in Benfica youth for a while but missed Lage by a year or two. Semedo was at Sintrense but Lage missed him by a few years.

So other than being Portuguese there are no obvious connections.

But he is out of work, speaks the language, a mate of Mendes, will probably do as he is told and in fairness, he has actually won something.

Welcome, Bruno - all together now - "Bruno has a dream..."

Michellis

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are beholden to Mendes. So it’ll be some Portuguese mate of his.

Back
Top Bottom