Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Poll - Watch Jeff Shi's interview and vote !

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He wants us to be corporate super power rather than being a top football club truly embarrassing to supporters and season ticket holders of Wolverhampton Wanderers. We will spend pittance once more
Corporate super power and top football club. Are they mutually exclusive ?
I can’t see how we can be a top football club any other way bar a Russian , Indian or Arab play thing or in a USA corporate group .

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What is an e sports fan anyway?

How does it generate cash for the club if someone chooses a character online wearing a wolves top?

And how much cash does it generate?
I had to Google esport . It did begin to answer those questions.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not so sure...
If the club targets fans, primarily into e-sport and other ventures then it doesnt matter a lot.
Also, I doubt our fairly mediocre past 2 seasons have gained us an awful lot of new fans globally, apart from those who follow us for a while, due to us signing players from their country.
Totally agree.
If I´m not completely lost 2022 the only way to win international support in a significant way for an english football club is too try and compete,try to win some things.
I don´t see any way possible for a football club in permanent midtable obscurity to gain significant international support.
If other way around,Soton would have been massive as of now..

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not so sure...
If the club targets fans, primarily into e-sport and other ventures then it doesnt matter a lot.
Also, I doubt our fairly mediocre past 2 seasons have gained us an awful lot of new fans globally, apart from those who follow us for a while, due to us signing players from their country.
Our rise in to the top 20 European clubs based on value surely comes with our Premiership position.
To date that coming 7th 7th 13th 10th is only seconded by that incredible increase in value from £30 million.
Some say Fosun don’t care about the football , they have done well not caring.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What is an e sports fan anyway?

How does it generate cash for the club if someone chooses a character online wearing a wolves top?

And how much cash does it generate?
I think the point with e sports, and any venture like that isn’t specifically about how much money do we make from each e sports fan, or overseas fan or fashion / music brand fan. It’s about brand awareness and making Wolves as a brand be known as widely as possible, then you can sell that to sponsors that, by advertising with us you can get your product seen by X people worldwide.

It’s about displaying to them why they should want to sponsor us and not another similarly sized club by having a USP that our competitors fighting for the best sponsorship deals don’t have.

I don’t expect any of that should matter to match going fans, nor do I think they expect us to care about it. But if it can help the club to gain an advantage from a commercial point of view then should that only be a positive.

At the end of the day, all we really care about is results on the pitch and how are affected by their decisions. There’s no reason for local fans to care either way about e sports or anything else, it’s not something to get worked up about.

Results on the pitch, ticket pricing and stuff like that is all fair game and it should be, I just don’t see why people take issue with the other stuff they’re doing, it doesn’t really affect us fans either way but could eventually be a positive long term.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
I think the point with e sports, and any venture like that isn’t specifically about how much money do we make from each e sports fan, or overseas fan or fashion / music brand fan. It’s about brand awareness and making Wolves as a brand be known as widely as possible, then you can sell that to sponsors that, by advertising with us you can get your product seen by X people worldwide.

It’s about displaying to them why they should want to sponsor us and not another similarly sized club by having a USP that our competitors fighting for the best sponsorship deals don’t have.

I don’t expect any of that should matter to match going fans, nor do I think they expect us to care about it. But if it can help the club to gain an advantage from a commercial point of view then should that only be a positive.

At the end of the day, all we really care about is results on the pitch and how are affected by their decisions. There’s no reason for local fans to care either way about e sports or anything else, it’s not something to get worked up about.

Results on the pitch, ticket pricing and stuff like that is all fair game and it should be, I just don’t see why people take issue with the other stuff they’re doing, it doesn’t really affect us fans either way but could eventually be a positive long term.
Think you’re right here. I don’t particularly care about Wolves eSports, but the truth is its not really aimed at me. The same way I don’t like some music or TV shows, but because I’m not really the target audience there’s no point in me going mad telling everyone how bad it is.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yep. Bottom line is revenue generation. The more people you can get buying a Wolves product the more you can spend under FFP rules.

The loyal Wolves fans in Wolverhampton and the surrounding area can only spend so much on products. That would be the ceiling of our revenue generation if you stay just a club. What Jeff Shi is talking about is growing the Wolves club into a brand, which then makes it corporate. Then as you grow the "fan" base, you grow the potential to take 200k people who spend on Wolves products to millions who do. It doesn't mean millions will go to the matches, but millions will buy E sports virtual kits, Wolves fashion items etc..
At that point investors and sponsors look at the brand and see it as a useful investment, which all ultimately brings funds into the primary part of Fosun Sports. WWFC.

What is clear he isn't saying is that the loyal Wolves fans are not wanted or thought of as any less. It's that JUST Wolves fans from the surrounding area only will not generate enough revenue to grow beyond being just a club. And as far as i can see from here, and SM, is that Wolves fans want to get into the top 6. So Fosun's long term strategy to get that is very smart indeed.
We know all that. What he did not make clear was where the extra revenue would go. I doubt it will be ploughed back into an attempt to be a better football club. Eventually the football club could become completely irrelevant

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He has said it clearly there -- that players from different regions = brand recognition, which is what FOSUN want. And he specifically mentions South Korea, among other places. That is why as I have said on here all along, that we signed Hwang and are seeing so much of him on the pitch. The usual know-alls told me I was an idiot and did I not realise that S Korea was a separate country from China?! FFS. It's not me who is an idiot. Smell the coffee. Expect a lot more left field decisions on recruitment. Do we have a potential fan base in, say, Samoa?
But this means Lage or whoever they manage to get in next does not have total control over team selection. And some players are selected based on viewing figures.
I suspect this to be true. They spent years trying to find a Chinese player, so have now moved to SKorea.

Players getting minutes based on the potential market of their nationality or even contracts for merchandise etc is enough for me to want this to end. It is abhorrent and totally against football.

I dont want my club to be like this, even if it does mean we get some success along the way.

I dont want to be lied to and told 'trust me' by some guy in a suit. Who are they to tell us we are going to be huge and money is no object and then decide we are now self sustainable?!

Its lies on lies. What if the esports crap is a lie and they have no serious intention of developing that? (As most of us barely understand it, it's an easy smokescreen to feed us. By all accounts our esports is pathetic)

I cant be bothered to type more. But all the people trying to sound intelligent by writing essays defending the strategy etc all know this stinks and has more red flags than a parade in Moscow.

modenawolf

Reaction score
Firstly, I think Wolves should be commended for the Ask Wolves series: a different way of communicating with the fans but offering a lot of insight in to the club, even if some of the interviews are heavy in marketing or commercial 'speak'.

Re Jeff: the man is super smart and no doubt has a ruthless side. Perhaps us 'legacy fans' will get slightly forgotten in Fosun's strategy, whilst also being the ones paying for season ticket increases etc.; on the other hand, after decades of football league mediocrity, I think Shi's long-term, sustainable approach is to be welcomed, provided he doesn't get too complacent about the quality of the team.

I do however think our status as a Premier League club is still key to Fosun Sports' growth, and have no doubt that money and resources would be made available if there was any risk of relegation.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

You mention sponsors. The clip didn’t even have a sponsor on…. Presumably because it was a betting company.

Next years sponsor should be a far far greater deal than last time based on what you are saying then?

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think you’re right here. I don’t particularly care about Wolves eSports, but the truth is its not really aimed at me. The same way I don’t like some music or TV shows, but because I’m not really the target audience there’s no point in me going mad telling everyone how bad it is.

Yeah that’s the way I look at it.

As long as that stuff isn’t having a detrimental affect on the football side of things (I know some think it may be, which is their opinion and they’re entitled to it although it’s not easy to prove either way) then it shouldn’t really matter to us but could one day have a positive effect on the stuff that does.

Last edited:

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You mention sponsors. The clip didn’t even have a sponsor on…. Presumably because it was a betting company.

Next years sponsor should be a far far greater deal than last time based on what you are saying then?
Good question, you’d like to think so but then as most current shirt deals in the PL were signed pre-pandemic and the now global cost of living crisis that may not be the case. You’ve then got the apparent gambling sponsor ban to come which reduces the number of viable sponsors available and will reduce the supply/demand across the board for all companies.

A better comparison is will it be better than the deal we could have signed without the side projects we’ve been doing. Or perhaps what sort of deal we sign compared to other clubs in our position when they sign new ones too.

It’s also perhaps a little early for those things to truly have a positive impact too, maybe in the next cycle we should see more.

That’s not me offering a cop out, obviously at some point we should see a positive from this stuff otherwise what’s the point, just this deal might not be the one to base that on because of the other things that have also happened since we signed the last deal.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The interview is fundamentally unbalanced.

Far too much focus on the virtual, the less important and the marginal.

And almost dismissal of what is central and vital.

I am sure Shi is clever enough to know that.

The disparaging of the local support, the last 200,000 spartans against the virtual hordes
of eRed Army Man Utd, was also overdone and vaguely insulting.

You can only make big statements if you have done your analysis using all the tools you need to.

Demographics, anthropology, urban planning, macro economic modelling and so on, not just marketing.

Those tools would give a much more optimistic outlook for Wolves with the right leadership and investment.

A club that can draw on a large population pool, with excellent transport links to that pool.

A club with an ideal fanbase, identity, and history to attract a wider fan base.

An already established preferential position in the game, with international links and recognition, financial
well-being, a well-developed infrastructure for youth recruitment and development.

Fosun bought Wolves for this very potential, which the club has done outstandingly well to achieve in record pace.

Then suddenly esports are the focus of attention????

To be honest, my sense is that we are not really talking about Wolves and its strategy at this point.

Shi's interview represents the need to put forward a "holding position", while Fosun wait and see just how
disastrous the next six months is going to be. We are all trying to hide from the implications of that algorithom of
our fate, but its coming, like the proverbial train.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Our rise in to the top 20 European clubs based on value surely comes with our Premiership position.
To date that coming 7th 7th 13th 10th is only seconded by that incredible increase in value from £30 million.
Some say Fosun don’t care about the football , they have done well not caring.
Of course they care about football, but the last 2 seasons seems to imply they care a bit less than they used to and Shi in his interview certainly downplayed the football part of the "brand".
Also, big up the positions of 10th and 13th all you want. I think both positions are more than accetable. However, It has been largely achieved due to the investments when we first came back up.

T

TheConcourse

There’s no alignment between what hardcore fans want in the short-term and what Jeff is shooting for in the long-term.

That feels like the issue.

I LOVE that they’re innovating.
But I’d also love to sign 2 CB’s and 2 CM’s.

What I got out of it yesterday is that Jeff is building a brand and leaving his leadership team to build their own little areas with his input. I like that. I don’t see them as yes men.

The question now becomes ‘has Jeff hired the right people to get us out of a bit of a storm’.. we’ll find out in the next couple of months.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The interview is fundamentally unbalanced.

Far too much focus on the virtual, the less important and the marginal.

And almost dismissal of what is central and vital.

I am sure Shi is clever enough to know that.

The disparaging of the local support, the last 200,000 spartans against the virtual hordes
of eRed Army Man Utd, was also overdone and vaguely insulting.

You can only make big statements if you have done your analysis using all the tools you need to.

Demographics, anthropology, urban planning, macro economic modelling and so on, not just marketing.

Those tools would give a much more optimistic outlook for Wolves with the right leadership and investment.

A club that can draw on a large population pool, with excellent transport links to that pool.

A club with an ideal fanbase, identity, and history to attract a wider fan base.

An already established preferential position in the game, with international links and recognition, financial
well-being, a well-developed infrastructure for youth recruitment and development.

Fosun bought Wolves for this very potential, which the club has done outstandingly well to achieve in record pace.

Then suddenly esports are the focus of attention????

To be honest, my sense is that we are not really talking about Wolves and its strategy at this point.

Shi's interview represents the need to put forward a "holding position", while Fosun wait and see just how
disastrous the next six months is going to be. We are all trying to hide from the implications of that algorithom of
our fate, but its coming, like the proverbial train.
This is the most succinct analysis I've seen yet. There is nothing clever about the strategic goals that Jeff talked about, every club is trying to diversify their portfolio of 'touch points' in order to grow the brand in whatever way they can, these guys in suits don't sit there twiddling their thumbs all day, they are accountable to stakeholders on a monthly or quarterly basis reporting on key deliverables - value generated. The position in the league or the opportunity to win a trophy are 'nice to haves' but as Jeff said, he's chairman of a group, that group weaves together as an opportunity to build a brand and generate value as a whole. We are a component that may or may not be fundamental to it at any time.

The stress on that side of things was borderline patronising. We don't care. You could invest in a Wolves cheese rolling team, a Wolves tiddly winks team.... It doesn't matter, we aren't bothered. We trust that as directors you're doing all that anyway. What we want to know is how the experience is going to improve for us, as a key stakeholder. I made the analogy on another thread, what Jeff seems to have ignored - and I'm not saying this is how he thinks, but certainly it's how it came across - is the core fan group he casually dismissed as 'one piece of the puzzle' are actually the nucleus, the rest of the components being the protons. Our atomic number is irrelevant without the nucleus. Jez made the mistake of ignoring, even alienating, the nucleus, but with slightly less strategic foresight in other areas. Now Jeff, according to that interview, is in danger of doing the same

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah that’s the way I look at it.

As long as that stuff isn’t having a detrimental affect on the football side of things (I know some think it may be, which is their opinion and they’re entitled to it although it’s not easy to prove either way) then it shouldn’t really matter to us but could one day have a positive effect on the stuff that does.
It does matters though..at least if Jeff Shis words is anything to go by.
I might be wrong,but I call it as we have high hopes pinned to this E sport thing.
Jeff certainly seems to think so as I understand him.
Seems to me the basic strategy is that E-sport is supposed to be the main thing that will make the clubs revenue bigger and this will lead to us being able to buy better players and so on.

No one..Jeff included it seems..don´t seem to know exactly just how this will work.
I don´t know anything about E-sport..it is not for me.
However,making it a vital part of our strategy to increase our revenue must mean some people must have an idea of how much cash it can generate and our way to work it so that we can get this potential revenue.

I must be excused for feeling quite hesitant about the whole thing.First no one can explain how it will work..second no one seems to know what figures we are talking about here.
I´ll eat something nasty if this "E Sport project" will ever bring any substantial amount of money for the club to invest in a better squad.
My common sense might be a little bit oldfashioned these days..but it has always served me well up til this point..so I will continue to apply it whenever I feel necessary to do it.

E-Sport?
Nah..it will not work.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Of course they care about football, but the last 2 seasons seems to imply they care a bit less than they used to and Shi in his interview certainly downplayed the football part of the "brand".
Also, big up the positions of 10th and 13th all you want. I think both positions are more than accetable. However, It has been largely achieved due to the investments when we first came back up.
Danish . This is what i think.
That initial investment got tired , they tried to refresh by Bruno.
That investment is still in the club , it hasn't dissipated, it will be recycled from now on.
I believe Bruno has decided who to keep and who is to go , We could end up with £80 to £100 million of new talent ( recycled Ruben plus a half a dozen more leavers)
Its just that wasnt sensible to do that piecemeal or until the first 5 year cycle was up.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My post just on the "fosun out" would be a better overall view

However, based on that interview alone, it is nothing but truly awful. I seriously question how anyone can watch the interview and think "Excellent and happy". Blimey. It is an absolute carcrash.
There are only two sources of income "gifts/donations" or hard earned income from around the world.

Isn't there ?

WolvTown

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We need the Mr F Controller back, for a few days, just to remind everyone where we were. The guy that sacked Mr F Controller still has credit in my good books, for another ten years or so.
I thought he was honest in what he thought he was being asked, which makes a change from CEO's, good news or bad news I can take, it's football, its when I'm fed lies and bull**** that upsets me.

Warrington_Wolf

Reaction score
I think people are assuming that the profits from these other businesses are all going to come back to funding Wolves on the pitch. That's not how I read it to be honest. Also from what he said, he isn't expecting many who 'follow' the record or esports side of things to become fans of (or to use his own words - even be aware of) the football team.

I see how this strategy benefits FOSUN but I'm struggling to see how it benefits Wolves.

Ultimately, we only care about what is happening on the pitch. With how turgid the last two seasons have been, it's going to be hard for them to get buy in on all of the peripheral stuff.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We aren’t going to get a global audience sitting mid table in the premier league play dull turgid football.

Another way to get a global audience is by signing players from countries with millions of people who love the Premier League, but don't have many players in it. Add in a high social media presence and the merch money comes rolling in. Hence, wouldn't be surprised if our signings of Mexican, South Korean and CHinese players has boosted our global audience more than anything we've ever done on the football field.

Either way, it's not an "either one or the other". And I think you somewhat everestimate the importance of style over results. Teams like Norwich and Fulham generally play a much more open, less turgid style than us, but as they are rubbish and keep getting relegated, would guess our global audience has gained much more than theirs, even with our often dull football.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think people are assuming that the profits from these other businesses are all going to come back to funding Wolves on the pitch. That's not how I read it to be honest. Also from what he said, he isn't expecting many who 'follow' the record or esports side of things to become fans of (or to use his own words - even be aware of) the football team.

I see how this strategy benefits FOSUN but I'm struggling to see how it benefits Wolves.

Ultimately, we only care about what is happening on the pitch. With how turgid the last two seasons have been, it's going to be hard for them to get buy in on all of the peripheral stuff.
Ultimately we all only care about what goes on the pitch.
But we have to be rational , who is going to make that happen ? And how ?
I would love someone to give an alternative.

Warrington_Wolf

Reaction score
Ultimately we all only care about what goes on the pitch.
But we have to be rational , who is going to make that happen ? And how ?
I would love someone to give an alternative.

There is a limited amount that we as a football club can do to increase commercial revenue. Improve the stadium to improve capacity and commercial revenue streams is the main option. Other than that, take a chance on funding player acquisitions from their own pockets to get better results on the pitch and take the benefits that come with it. That is a riskier approach and one FOSUN are obviously not willing to contemplate that.

The issue I have is people are assuming that the esports and other businesses are being set up for the sole purpose of funding Wolverhampton Wanderers. Jeff Shi and FOSUN have given no indication that this will be the case. I think they see Wolves as part of a wider sports portfolio where we sit amongst the other companies rather than at the top of the pyramid benefiting from the profits of those other companies.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There is a limited amount that we as a football club can do to increase commercial revenue. Improve the stadium to improve capacity and commercial revenue streams is the main option. Other than that, take a chance on funding player acquisitions from their own pockets to get better results on the pitch and take the benefits that come with it. That is a riskier approach and one FOSUN are obviously not willing to contemplate that.

The issue I have is people are assuming that the esports and other businesses are being set up for the sole purpose of funding Wolverhampton Wanderers. Jeff Shi and FOSUN have given no indication that this will be the case. I think they see Wolves as part of a wider sports portfolio where we sit amongst the other companies rather than at the top of the pyramid benefiting from the profits of those other companies.
Understood.
We need to wait and see.
But I am content with the last 6 years and I understand the case set out for the future.
I can’t see what else they can do today but gift us or guarantee us money as you say. Both would be illogical.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Someone gets it! 10 out of 10 to this man.
But is that going to happen though I’ve seen no signs of it so far without investing in the team (which they don’t seem to want to do) then there is a real chance of relegation and I’m not sure that their ‘Brand’ will be very successful if we’re in the Championship.

Reaction score
I simply don’t get that he offended the local support - he simply said that we need to grow all over the place in order to be in a position to change status quo of top 6 - us locals will ultimately be the beneficiaries .
Will we though there’s no guarantee that the money gained from growing the ‘brand’ will end up back in the clubs coffers - quite the opposite in fact.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But is that going to happen though I’ve seen no signs of it so far without investing in the team (which they don’t seem to want to do) then there is a real chance of relegation and I’m not sure that their ‘Brand’ will be very successful if we’re in the Championship.
But they have invested around £200 million in WWFC . They are going to recycle that . And hopefully add a percentage of added profit .
We will know more by September .

Reaction score
We aren’t going to get a global audience sitting mid table in the premier league play dull turgid football.
Exactly and we’ll get even less if we get relegated if they continue to under invest in the 1st team which is what they seemingly plan to do. I really don’t think that Jeff Shi or Fosun care in the slightest about the local fans that was clearly evident from the interview so I am seriously worried about this next season with the lack of investment and other clubs around us putting the money is and kicking on I think we will really struggle.

Reaction score
But they have invested around £200 million in WWFC . They are going to recycle that . And hopefully add a percentage of added profit .
We will know more by September .
That was in the past I’m talking about the future, I am seriously concerned that the other clubs around us Leicester, Villa etc are going to invest quite heavily this summer and kick on whereas I don’t think we will in which case we WILL struggle next year. Nothing Jeff Shi said gave me any hope for the future at all Fosun just see us as a money making cash cow and the actual club and it’s fans are more or less irrelevant :cry:

T

TheConcourse

Can someone wake me up here - what year is it?

Because I went to my first game in ‘96 and we’ve been pretty anonymous in footballing terms until around the time that Fosun took over.

Now they’ve suggested that other revenue streams are taking precedent over the team because we simply have to drive more revenue there’s uproar.

Three things:

1. If they were making huge amounts of profit with no intent to add players then I’d be concerned.

2. All of the utter hysteria before the window has even opened is beyond ludicrous.

3. Establishing a football club in the top 4/6 consistently costs an absolutely fortune. Silly money. There are better ways to make money to reinvest beyond pocketing £20m from a Europa qualification. That’s their prerogative. And it’s their right, unless some of you fancy chucking £500m at a project?

It’s in nobody’s best interests - definitely not Jeff’s - to lose £100m in annual revenue, plunging the whole project into a loss-making one and seeing us relegated. Unless there was a total disaster of a window that isn’t going to happen.

Sorry folks, some of the hysteria here from what appears to be pretty intelligent people is premature against what might happen in the transfer window.

I’d save the anger until then.

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
As a fan of Wolverhampton Wanderers - probably give up as the soul has gone and just jack it all in because whats it all about anyway. (like modern football in general not just Wolves)
If i was an investor or suit who's looking at the bottom line and not bothered about the fans, club or trophy cabinet - Very happy, corporation in safe hands, skipping round the room singing you are my sunshine.

D

Deleted member drgr12429

We know all that. What he did not make clear was where the extra revenue would go. I doubt it will be ploughed back into an attempt to be a better football club. Eventually the football club could become completely irrelevant
Yes he did. It goes into Fosun Sports of which the football club and team are the force driving the brand.
The thing is, and no offence to you personally, people haven't really listened to what he said on the video. They are cherry picking pieces and turning into their own agendas.
Fosun are here for the long term, but we HAVE to grow our revenue to be able to spend more on the team. Our 200k fan base are not enough to grow the revenue for us to reach the top 6. So they have to grow outwards for that to happen.
E sports and music, although the 200k fan base don't really care about that, ultimately though, the people who do care about it (millions of them) will buy into the brand, which in turn builds it up to be viable to investors and sponsors. That is where you grow revenue, and that revenue growth allows more money to be spent on the team.
What is not to like? The people you complain about (Esports fans, music fans) will literally be funding the Wolves football team for the 200k fan base!
There is other stuff to question i agree, but not the long term funding strategy. That is very smart and clever. Almost like Fosun are a multi billion dollar worldwide successful company!

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes he did. It goes into Fosun Sports of which the football club and team are the force driving the brand.
The thing is, and no offence to you personally, people haven't really listened to what he said on the video. They are cherry picking pieces and turning into their own agendas.
Fosun are here for the long term, but we HAVE to grow our revenue to be able to spend more on the team. Our 200k fan base are not enough to grow the revenue for us to reach the top 6. So they have to grow outwards for that to happen.
E sports and music, although the 200k fan base don't really care about that, ultimately though, the people who do care about it (millions of them) will buy into the brand, which in turn builds it up to be viable to investors and sponsors. That is where you grow revenue, and that revenue growth allows more money to be spent on the team.
What is not to like? The people you complain about (Esports fans, music fans) will literally be funding the Wolves football team for the 200k fan base!
There is other stuff to question i agree, but not the long term funding strategy. That is very smart and clever. Almost like Fosun are a multi billion dollar worldwide successful company!
Music? Are we going to sign that bloke that came 2nd in eurovision next? He looks OK, but not sure he is a replacement for Neves.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
no they won't necessarily. there is absolutely no guarantee that the revenue will go to the football club. it is likely that the esports etc will be an end in itself. wolves football is the launch pad. i sense no desire whatsoever to pursue anything other than the status quo on the football side. they are not interested in trophies just developing revenues for the fosun sports arm. this will be attractive (he believes) to investors. so, when they IPO Fosun will cash out and wolves football will be just part of a wider mix. the brand will have been leveraged. another poster likened it to virgin which is now much more famous for aircraft than records where it started. that is perfectly possible for wolves. so, sorry chum but it does not follow that widened income is going to benefit the club we both support

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
no they won't necessarily. there is absolutely no guarantee that the revenue will go to the football club. it is likely that the esports etc will be an end in itself. wolves football is the launch pad. i sense no desire whatsoever to pursue anything other than the status quo on the football side. they are not interested in trophies just developing revenues for the fosun sports arm. this will be attractive (he believes) to investors. so, when they IPO Fosun will cash out and wolves football will be just part of a wider mix. the brand will have been leveraged. another poster likened it to virgin which is now much more famous for aircraft than records where it started. that is perfectly possible for wolves. so, sorry chum but it does not follow that widened income is going to benefit the club we both support
he did say that football is and will continue be the main and largest part of Fosun Sports group. so in the sports group grows then the Wolves part will grow in proportion to that, so at the moment I don't think funds will be used to grow other areas at the cost of the football side. If in the future dynamics change dramatically and Fosun see there is more money to be made and more growth in some of the other areas then that might change, but for the foreseeable future I think Wolves will continue to be the largest and most important part of the sports group.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What type of guarantee do you want to be given ?
And how was it to be given ?
In writing , in a legally binding agreement or verbally ?
Should it say
" I , Jeff Shi , solemnly bind Fosun to pay 50% of all income from our sports and esports activities to WWFC "

Back
Top Bottom