Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Poll: GON by October? A temperature test. In, out, or on the fence?

In, out, or on the fence?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So what if there is?

If we signed Josh Windass from Sheffield Wednesday, everyone on here would say he's not good enough, and if he then proved he wasn't good enough, everyone was right.

There's no difference here.

We brought someone in who was not qualified for the job. It's on HIM to show us we're wrong. He hasn't. We've got worse every game, and we were just outplayed by Luton for 25 minutes 11 vs 11.

He should be nowhere near the Wolves job. You can call it an agenda if you want, but that's our reality.
I couldn't even fathom what he was thinking, I was sat with Luton friends and within a first minute they were like 'your trying to be slow and play it out, against us?, we press relentlessly' and so it proved. Then even with 11 it was so some weird 4-2-4 looking system where Luton won thr ball and had the midfield at their feet.

They should have won at a canter, a 4 or 5 nil drubbing wouldn't have been unfair, but they can't finish to save their lives.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why support him?

Because he is the manager of the team we are supposed to be supporting.

If we back the team and him I expect it will do more help than moaning at him.

The Man U game in particular showed a lot of promise.

If he proves over a sensible period of time not to be up to it then fair enough but six games in after playing 3 of last year's top six is not the time (well to me anyway)
Firstly ManUre have since shown why a valiant defeat there wasn't such a great result.

Secondly that squad/performance was all about JL - GON had little or no input apart from the subs.

Thirdly the more influence that GON has had on the squad the worse things have got - his impact is massively negative.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
GON made some tweaks for the Man U games that worked a treat.

He hasn't had enough time to work with the players yet.
Courtesy of Hibbs and Pinnochio we are now in the sad situation where the ****'s head coach (your team?) is a country mile better than ours even though we are a division above.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I compare the performances v Luton in the friendly, Rennes , and Man U with what has come since then with more or less the same squad and they are as different as chalk and cheese. The main factor that is different is O'Neil. Massively negative.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hobbs head hunted GON and won’t be wanting to sack his choice of manager unless he really really has to.

I think someone wrote that we finished with Neto as a lone striker and Doc at LWB? If true, these kinds of strange decision are often signs of managers under a lot of pressure and perhaps wanting to be sacked. I don’t think GON wants to be sacked and I do have sympathies: he’s not been allowed to amass the back room team JL had for one thing.

On paper, our team is better than their current showing. However, GON’s post match comments have already set the tone that the team are in a potential relegation struggle as our squad is weaker than last season. Hardly inspirational.
Hobbs' own position will rapidly come under scrutiny if this continues. Pinnochio will happily sack both him and GON to preserve his own useless hide.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That is why they are the big boys. Do we really expect to be beating them?
We did the double over Man City, and beat Arsenal, Chelsea and Man Utd under Nuno in the PL as well as Liverpool and Man Utd in the Cup. Last season under JL we beat Chelsea, Liverpool and Spurs in the PL . Even under the useless Lage we beat Man U at OT in the PL.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You do realise it is usually You, who bring up "Julen" in multiple threads and occasionally I reply.
He left Wolves, he fleeced us and he orchestrated his own departure.
The last para is your take. Others disagree and will say so. Similarly with respect to your highly partial and biased account of his last season at Sevilla.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bloody hell , give the bloke a chance ..we ve played SIX games ... pathetic post.
Lopetegui walked away from our beloved club four days before the season started, he didn't give a **** about wolves...he's gone ..get over it ,,and give our manager a chance
Oh my word, GON is being backed by the Lage fanclub founder and only member who slagged off JL as he saved us last season. That's him doomed then!

Wolfenstein

Groupie
Reaction score
What's the concensus Ladies and Gents?
Pointless post.

Why keep blaming the manager

We had a decent manager who we lied to and couldn’t keep hold off which is why we have GON.

We can get a new manager but who would really do better with the shambles we have at the moment.

The fault of our predicament lies squarely at Shi’s door.

One incompetent decision after another and stripping our team of almost all of its quality to present us with a squad that would barely succeed in the championship at the moment.

We can try to blame GON all we want but Shi and his useless team are the ones to blame for all of this.

Gary just took a job he was offered like anyone would.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I dislike modern football too, but the entitlement of modern football fans and the armchair expertise of today's fans, takes the biscuit.
Re your last 10 words, witness one person's view of a certain Spanish manager....

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In the cold light of day, taking yesterday in isolation, is a point away with 10 men for 60mins in the PL anything to scoff at? I don’t think that it is a bad result, especially taking the “penalty” into consideration.

It’s when you take it out of isolation and stick it back alongside the context of the rest of the season that you start to understand the frustration.

I’m happy to see what the next 3 games bring before the next international break before I start to want him gone asap. I’m concerned but genuinely want the bloke to succeed.
I'd say that we were so bad with 11 shouldn't be ignored because we got very lucky with 10.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How can you set up exactly the same against Liverpool at home and then Luton away ...there is no logic to that at all ....it wasn't like we won against Liverpool and he kept a winning team..

Surely Liverpool offer a totally different challenge to Luton.....I sort of understood no Saza against Liverpool as I thought we needed runners up top to give us a chance .....I gave O'Neil the benefit the doubt on that one....sort of got the Silva sub as well as he offered legs ..

But how can you then set up the same way against Luton who were gonna offer physicality and effort.,..surely that was a game for Saza...and possibly Toti at left back .....the only tactical solution of difference ONeil offered was to move the man of the match against Liverpool, Neto to his less favoured side. .. absolutely genius ...yes he scored on the right but was totally ineffective for most of the game..

It doesn't make sense......you have the best on form provider of chances at the minute Neto in your team and you leave the bloke on the bench Saza who has got you , your only win at Everton....if he can only last 60 mins you worry about that when it happens.... surely.....

Man city isn't a game for Saza but Luton definitely was ...

Last edited:

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can't see him gone anytime soon, unless we take a 6-0+ pasting by Citeh (plausible) and another big beating in the derby. But I can see him in serious jeopardy before November. The way we've been performing and with our current points return, can anyone realistically see more than a point from City, Villa, Bournemouth, Newcastle? Might get something from Bournemouth, but we just made Luton look like prime Liverpool at times in that first half. Can easily see us on 5 points from 10 games, worse than my rather stingy prediction of 7. Lage was sacked with a better points return in his last 10.

kentish wolf

Reaction score
This club are going backwards under Fosun.
Changing the manager might keep us up but we will always struggle until we can get Investment from new owners because if Fosun and shi remain we will be bottom 6 or in the championship if not this campaign then the next.
We are looked upon by most premier clubs as a way to get 4 or 6 points.
The fans deserve a club with vision and ambition not just the survival attitude of our present owners.

inaglasshouse

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In the cold light of day, taking yesterday in isolation, is a point away with 10 men for 60mins in the PL anything to scoff at? I don’t think that it is a bad result, especially taking the “penalty” into consideration.

It’s when you take it out of isolation and stick it back alongside the context of the rest of the season that you start to understand the frustration.

I’m happy to see what the next 3 games bring before the next international break before I start to want him gone asap. I’m concerned but genuinely want the bloke to succeed.
We need a couple of good wins before bonfire night or gons gone and hobbs is under pressure. I'd like to think he has Robins number but I guess it would be unlike Wolves to pay the compensation required for that one so it will probably back to mendes for another senor.

Ches78

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Bonkers that he got the job. AND A THREE YEAR CONTRACT! We've had some really questionable appointments under Fosun and GON is another one - I don't really understand what their recruitment criteria are. I suspect we got lucky with Nuno (right person, right time), and JL was probably the right person but at exactly the wrong time - otherwise we seem to go for risky unproven people like Zenga, Lage and now Gary - why?????

Andi130

Reaction score
Pointless post.

We had a decent manager who we lied to and couldn’t keep hold off which is why we have GON.

We can get a new manager but who would really do better with the shambles we have at the moment.

One incompetent decision after another and stripping our team of almost all of its quality to present us with a squad that would barely succeed in the championship at the moment.

We can try to blame GON all we want but Shi and his useless team are the ones to blame for all of this.

Pointless post? Seeking a general consensus, by numbers, from the members of a forum?

There's absolutely no denying it's a shambles behind the scenes. Pesonally, I agree the problems start at the top. This is squarely at the door Hobbs and Shi, but GON isn't absolved by default. He takes the role/money. He gets judged.....It comes with the territory.

This post was very much about seeing where members were placing their flag on the GON front though. Whilst I respect your opinion, I stand by the poll not being pointless. Based on the volume of responses, I think that's a relatively clear demonstration.

John Wolves Fan

Groupie
Reaction score
We did the double over Man City, and beat Arsenal, Chelsea and Man Utd under Nuno in the PL as well as Liverpool and Man Utd in the Cup. Last season under JL we beat Chelsea, Liverpool and Spurs in the PL . Even under the useless Lage we beat Man U at OT in the PL.
There is a difference of getting the odd good result against them and expecting too.

Our squad is much worse than last season too.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I still think we have the bones of a good PL side, but we have a total novice in charge with a substandard staff behind him. It’s no coincidence that our results drastically improved in the spell of time in between Lage and GON when we had an actual experienced head coach but possibly even more importantly - experienced, top class staff with him. We will lose the next two imo and he will go after Villa.

Reaction score
Bonkers that he got the job. AND A THREE YEAR CONTRACT! We've had some really questionable appointments under Fosun and GON is another one - I don't really understand what their recruitment criteria are. I suspect we got lucky with Nuno (right person, right time), and JL was probably the right person but at exactly the wrong time - otherwise we seem to go for risky unproven people like Zenga, Lage and now Gary - why?????
Not sure about Zenga - panic appointment I think, but Lage and GON were both cheap and yes men that’s the only reason they were appointed.

Last edited:

Westbakejazz

Reaction score
Pointless post.

But he’s still a incompetent manager.

Westbakejazz

Reaction score
Cheap

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I didn’t want him and don’t want him, though he does come over as a decent bloke and I’ve never wanted any wolves fan to fail. He’s got in my opinion some ridiculous OTT sentiment from day one by some when clearly the issues predominately don’t fall at his feet.

My concern moreso is what the plan is if he does go. We have to replace him with better and that means paying someone more, giving them a bigger coaching budget and some finances in January and I don’t think that’s happening at all so all we end up with is the same thing. I said a few weeks ago he needed 10 game’s minimum and I still think he deserves that. I liken the situation to a game of poker, we look in rough shape with several chip leaders way in front, but there’s several others in similar rough shape and it’s far too early to go “all in”, we just need to slow play for a bit and hope we win a few hands before we panic and go all in with a pair of 9’s

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was hopeful we'd have done a bit better than we have, not by much but better nonetheless.

I maintain that we're not gonna see a GON team fully until 9 or 10 games in, and the fairest time to assess him would be 10 games after that...

The fear though is he's not up to the job. There's little on his CV to suggest he is. Looking ahead I can't see any more than a point per game average at the halfway point, which although gives us a fighting chance leaves us firmly in the relegation battle.

I believe our squad is better than that, the right coach would have us attaining 1.5 PPG or something close to it.

Man City is a right off barring a miracle, whoever is in charge, so there's no point using the next game as a stick to beat GON with. A home game v Villa though is the perfect stick. Lose both and I'd say he's gotta go...

I just don't see where an improvement is gonna come from under him. He persists in playing Cunha as a striker when it's abundantly clear his skill set makes him a much better ten or CAM, which leaves room to play a striker - trouble is, do we really have one?

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You don’t build a company like Fosun by making stupid decisions.
If firing Gary will save Wolves from the drop, then you can be reasonably sure that’s what will happen.
You would like to think that there has been discussions.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Didn’t Hobbs say that Costa’s season with us was a success?
It depends how you muasure success. If you just say he didn't score goals then that is black and white. He did the same as our other players in not scoring.
When we brought him in he was way out of shape and as the season progressed so did his fitness and timing. Many times he began to be more influential on the team but we know one of our main problems is in the final third.
What we also have been told is that he was a positive influence on the team both on and off the pitch. Because we had to cut costs he was let go but I think if we had not had financial restrictions he would have been offered an extension here.
He may be gone but I wish that his intensity was still there in the other p;ayers.

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oh my word, GON is being backed by the Lage fanclub founder and only member who slagged off JL as he saved us last season. That's him doomed then!
Saved us my **** ...walked out on us 4 days before the season started more like

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mate, your first paragraph shows you know next to nothing about football!!!

We weren’t holding the ball up, Neto isn’t a central striker, so we moved our only wide threat central…. He cannot hold the ball up against big lads so it will only go straight back to Luton to continue the attack! So yes, cunha for sasa was the best sub to make to try and have some control and offer an out ball and something to try and play from. If you don’t see that, then mate, I am lost!! You don’t move your only threat from the channels to where it won’t be able to play, that is brain dead….. no sorry a typical GO tactical masterclass as I now call it hahaha

Luton played bog standard championship football!!!! They did nothing special or unseen before! They were able to do all that and come forward because we parked the fleet of busses and they had the freedom of Luton to go forward…… you don’t need to press that much with ten men! It is about defensive shape and discipline and saving cardio for the later stages so you don’t get picked off later when the extra man should take its toll.

If you don’t know that, you clearly didn’t play football either

The first paragraph was questioning what you said haha you’ve argued against yourself.

You say I don’t know football, when it’s abundantly clear you don’t seem to understand there are 2 teams on the pitch. You cannot simply do things to attack in that situation. The ball wasn’t sticking up top not because we didn’t have a target, but because we were getting swamped and having to aimlessly clear. It’s not the same as playing targeted balls to a front man. We had a player less remember, so the idea that we throw on Sasa is ridiculous, all that would happen would be he loses duels with 3 defenders and they run away from him. To quote you “if you don’t see that I’m lost”

Football is way more complicated than “put striker on and boom we’re up the pitch and scoring” if you don’t know that you clearly didn’t play football either ;)

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The first paragraph was questioning what you said haha you’ve argued against yourself.

You say I don’t know football, when it’s abundantly clear you don’t seem to understand there are 2 teams on the pitch. You cannot simply do things to attack in that situation. The ball wasn’t sticking up top not because we didn’t have a target, but because we were getting swamped and having to aimlessly clear. It’s not the same as playing targeted balls to a front man. We had a player less remember, so the idea that we throw on Sasa is ridiculous, all that would happen would be he loses duels with 3 defenders and they run away from him. To quote you “if you don’t see that I’m lost”

Football is way more complicated than “put striker on and boom we’re up the pitch and scoring” if you don’t know that you clearly didn’t play football either ;)
It is about link up and hold up play….. you clearly didn’t read the post…….

Neto isn’t a back to goal man, sasa is.

It is about more than goal scoring and the post made that abundantly clear……

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is about link up and hold up play….. you clearly didn’t read the post…….

Neto isn’t a back to goal man, sasa is.

It is about more than goal scoring and the post made that abundantly clear……
We didn’t need a back to goal person in that scenario, we needed legs to account for the player less. You seem to think having a striker means it automatically gets held up, it doesn’t. All that would have happened is one of their 3 central defenders challenges him and the other tidies it up and starts another attack. If we had 11 players I’d agree with you, but we didn’t, you play the situation in front of you not blindly replace like for like. Ideally we’d have had Adama to bring on and force their defence back, but without that option we brought on legs into midfield.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We didn’t need a back to goal person in that scenario, we needed legs to account for the player less. You seem to think having a striker means it automatically gets held up, it doesn’t. All that would have happened is one of their 3 central defenders challenges him and the other tidies it up and starts another attack. If we had 11 players I’d agree with you, but we didn’t, you play the situation in front of you not blindly replace like for like. Ideally we’d have had Adama to bring on and force their defence back, but without that option we brought on legs into midfield.
The ball was bouncing back and there was no targeted outlet up top.

That was a major issue.

You always need a focal point up top. GO waved the flag and prayed for a point with that sub and that is what happened.

He made the same sub against palace and was a routine sub he made for Bournemouth….. so sorry mate, it was his ususal safety first protect the point sub to pack out the midfield.

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The ball was bouncing back and there was no targeted outlet up top.

That was a major issue.

You always need a focal point up top. GO waved the flag and prayed for a point with that sub and that is what happened.

He made the same sub against palace and was a routine sub he made for Bournemouth….. so sorry mate, it was his ususal safety first protect the point sub to pack out the midfield.

Again it would have bounced back with Sasa or Fabio on just you’d have one less player protecting the back line. Like I said if we had 11 players I’d agree with you, but circumstances dictated that change.

The key point is we were having to defend deep and clear crosses, they are not targeted balls into a forward who can hopefully control and then play in a supporting player. All the supporting players are deep. So the tactic is what happened for the goal, steal the ball with their players committed and carry it, giving our quickest player the chance to win a foot race.

TFWanderers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I really wanted it to work for him but I cannot see how we will survive with him in charge.

He’s tactically naive / negative.

He is not using the full squad at his disposal.

His reluctance to use Sasa is incredibly strange.

I think a poor performance against Villa and he’s gone.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People do go over the top because we played badly for half an hour.

I’d say we dominated Liverpool for half a game in a more thorough way than Luton did us. Had it not been for the sending off I’m confident we’d of ended up coming out on top, much like Liverpool turned it around v us.

Back
Top Bottom