Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Play in gold and black whenever we can

Blackpool Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
We are synonymous with gold and black - it’s Wolves and we are famous all over the world ! That being the case, why oh why do we keep playing in nondescript strips that (forgive the pun) strip us of our identity. We may rake in an extra couple of mill from the alternatives but surely that would be eclipsed by an enhanced gold and black brand ? Of course we need an alternative for the occasional genuine colour clash, but wherever possible it’s gold and black for me. Apologies if this has done before but it struck me during the Brighton game and I also noticed Man City in their traditional colours at Chelsea - very classy.

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree. Especially when one of the alternatives is that sickly sky blue abomination of a stinky thing! Old gold n black. You cannot beat it.

Golden Moth

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I am also in agreement and feel that we waste our advantage in this matter. Teams that play in blue, red or white are ten a penny, so Leicester for example, who are also trying to grow a global following, will struggle to promote their strip identity as distinct from others, while our old gold and black is unique in the top leagues and should be pushed into global conciousness at every opportunity. Wearing that hideous mess against Liverpool, a game with enormous global viewing figures, was a dreadful waste in this respect.
I read somewhere that we change strip supplier next season. I trust we have made a contract with them in which we are free to play every game in our colours (apart from rare clashes) rather than being tied to using 2nd and 3rd strips for a certain number of games and thus losing part of our advantage.

Autistic Kangaroo

Reaction score
We’ve played in the home kit for all but three games this season?

Not that we needed to change the kit for any of the away games!

RutlandWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
It is simply a strategy to try to sell multiple shirts. The answer is to persuade fellow fans not to buy kits other than gold and black. I've never actually understood the desire of fans to wear any other colours. Why do they want to anyway?

ricki herberts moustache

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am also in agreement and feel that we waste our advantage in this matter. Teams that play in blue, red or white are ten a penny, so Leicester for example, who are also trying to grow a global following, will struggle to promote their strip identity as distinct from others, while our old gold and black is unique in the top leagues and should be pushed into global conciousness at every opportunity. Wearing that hideous mess against Liverpool, a game with enormous global viewing figures, was a dreadful waste in this respect.
I read somewhere that we change strip supplier next season. I trust we have made a contract with them in which we are free to play every game in our colours (apart from rare clashes) rather than being tied to using 2nd and 3rd strips for a certain number of games and thus losing part of our advantage.

No offense but every time I hear about football teams "trying to grow a global following" or talk about a clubs "brand" I feel a wave of nausea overcome me.

money money money

is that all football is about these days? I truly despair at the state of the game., which of course in many ways is merely a reflection of the state of society and the world in general. Money uber alles?

Superted

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Don't we have to wear each kit a set minimum number of times under the contract with Adidas?

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are synonymous with gold and black - it’s Wolves and we are famous all over the world ! That being the case, why oh why do we keep playing in nondescript strips that (forgive the pun) strip us of our identity. We may rake in an extra couple of mill from the alternatives but surely that would be eclipsed by an enhanced gold and black brand ? Of course we need an alternative for the occasional genuine colour clash, but wherever possible it’s gold and black for me. Apologies if this has done before but it struck me during the Brighton game and I also noticed Man City in their traditional colours at Chelsea - very classy.
completely agree

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That rings a bell. Any other times we’ve played in the away kit at home?
I’m absolutely certain that’s the only time since I started going in late 80s.

that Ascoli game was mad. Foreign ref made us change because Ascoli were in red and he thought it clashed. Strange.
Then the Italians kicked the **** out of us for 90 minutes. I remember Robbie Dennison reacting with a terrible challenge, only time I ever saw him put a tackle in :)

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we look great in our third kit. Love it when we wear that, albeit it's only happened twice so far. Certainly a favourite of mine from recent years.

If we're going to be romantic about wearing our proper colours more often - don't stop there - go after the shade of our shirts for the past 10 odd years!

Saltyjim

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't we have to wear each kit a set minimum number of times under the contract with Adidas?
What we've been led to believe. The start of a new kit contract gives us the opportunity to change the terms. We should be saying we play in gold and black whenever possible, if that doesn't suit the manufacturers then go to different companies until we find one that buys into our policy. If it means a few less quid so be it. As someone above says we should have faith in our unique brand.

Notsoslimshady

Groupie
Reaction score
I do always prefer us playing in our home kit unless a clash dictates otherwise. But it is another part of football that has changed.

It used to be essentially a "change" kit. Now, with other teams especially, it becomes almost an "away" kit. I remember a fair few years ago seeing aresenal playing in yellow whilst against everton and wondered why as never been any need for it in the past (unless you count the white shorts as clashing). They were the first team i can recall doing it, and since it seems to have become the norm. I can actually recall games where the away team's change kit clashes more than their home kit would have done.

I just generally think that it to promote the other shirts and nothing else.

Guess it is just old fashioned, but i like us in gold and black where possible, and maybe all gold if the other team has black or dark shorts, and change kit if the home team's kit clashes with yours.

Bit of a strange one this year as no teams such as norwich, watford, hull, or like in the lower leagues with burton, with which any change in ever needed in the league. So i suppose they figure they have to plug the other shirts somehow.

Do also prefer if our away is all white, or maybe black. If they want to do a token third, fair enough

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Here’s a thought, will this be the first season we potentially wear the third kit more than the second?

Other than Liverpool, the Windows 95 logo one arguably clashes with every other team.

pacamac

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm usually a traditionalist on most things football (its a great game for a reason why the constant changes!) and agree we should play in our home kit all the time.

But there's one massive but.....we (like all clubs it has to be said) rip off fans selling away and even third strips. So I do feel IF we are going to continue to do that then they should wear these strips to give those fans that have forked out a small fortune some sort of value for money (I'm thinking in particular parents of kids who've asked them for it etc)

pacamac

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If they want to do a token third, fair enough
Not really a token third though was it, was intentionally released and revealed after the home and away's in order to milk more money out of peoples pockets who may have already brought both or one of those others and didn't plan on buying another.

pacamac

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Here’s a thought, will this be the first season we potentially wear the third kit more than the second?

Other than Liverpool, the Windows 95 logo one arguably clashes with every other team.
How many seasons have we actually had a third kit in the first place? Can't be many.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watford, Luton, Hull City, Newport County, Oxford United, Norwich City and Blackpool these are the only games that in my nearly 50 years as a Wolves fans where an away kit was actually needed !

Plus if we ever played Dundee United in the Anglo Scottish Cup ! :p

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Most seasons I'd agree on this, I do love a gold shirt and shorts combo too occasionally (reminds me of Andy Mutch) but have we ever seen that with Adidas?

However I love the blue and white strip and happy to play in it whenever needed, looks great on my son too in training, really distinctive. I also love how it winds many of our old crabby supporters and un-cool rivals, like the dowdy Sandwell Town fans.

I like the Portu-Wolves kit, too but my lad has a Portugal kit so doesn't need this one, but I'd seriously question the need for a third kit at all, this could have been next seasons away kit surely?

bilstonwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Most seasons I'd agree on this, I do love a gold shirt and shorts combo too occasionally (reminds me of Andy Mutch) but have we ever seen that with Adidas?

However I love the blue and white strip and happy to play in it whenever needed, looks great on my son too in training, really distinctive. I also love how it winds many of our old crabby supporters and un-cool rivals, like the dowdy Sandwell Town fans.

I like the Portu-Wolves kit, too but my lad has a Portugal kit so doesn't need this one, but I'd seriously question the need for a third kit at all, this could have been next seasons away kit surely?
I believe 18/19 Spurs away we did wear all Gold

Notsoslimshady

Groupie
Reaction score
Not really a token third though was it, was intentionally released and revealed after the home and away's in order to milk more money out of peoples pockets who may have already brought both or one of those others and didn't plan on buying another.

That is the case with pretty much any third kit though. There never was any need for them. Same as it was the case that there wasn't a new kit every year, which has now become the norm.

If making a mexico style kit last year and a portugal style one this year generated the club money, then good as far as i am concerned.

No-one holds a gun to anyone's head to buy a shirt. If anyone buys all 3, that is their choice. I bought the home and away in the first prem year as i liked them both, and have bought none the last 2 years through a combination of not being so fond of them and not appreciating the sponsor.

My main point was that i like them to stick to the home kit, and like the away kit to be consistent, and if they do a third kit then that one can be more leftfield

Tonesterwolf

Reaction score

No, we defenatly wore our blue third kit more times than our black away kit when we won the championship, our last season with puma.

Back
Top Bottom