Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

PL matches abroad.

kidder_wolf_II

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don’t see an issue with it so long as it’s just a competitive tournament separate to the League as is being discussed this time around.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Moving games abroad so as to avoid the Riley referees' mafia?! Talk about the tail wagging the dog...

purplepault69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How would this differ to the Asia Cup etc competition that a lot of clubs compete in at season end.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Because everyone knows the Asia Cup is a pre season joke tournament.
This would be pushed and sold as a new proper cup, on a par with the Premier league.

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was always in favour of the 39th game, it works well in Rugby League. The fans aren’t losing any home fixtures from their season ticket and if you want then you also get a nice trip abroad as a bonus (especially good if we aren’t in Europe that year). That’s the one thing that scuppered it, people talking like it’s a home game as if every fan goes to every game.

Too many want tradition because it’s always been done that way, irregardless of whether new ideas would work.

Andy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was always in favour of the 39th game, it works well in Rugby League. The fans aren’t losing any home fixtures from their season ticket and if you want then you also get a nice trip abroad as a bonus (especially good if we aren’t in Europe that year). That’s the one thing that scuppered it, people talking like it’s a home game as if every fan goes to every game.

Too many want tradition because it’s always been done that way, irregardless of whether new ideas would work.
How do you decide the 39th game fixtures though?

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How do you decide the 39th game fixtures though?
That is a good question in fairness, it’s the one thing that has always caused issues with Magic Weekend in RL. They’ve tried luck of the draw, derby games, and various formulas based on previous finishing positions, none of the ways are quite perfect to everyone.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No problem with it whatsoever. There are a lot more fans out there than just those that actually go to games.

optimuswolf

Reaction score
I can't see how this works without it being one of the 38 games. A 39th is unfair and sporting integrity is paramount.

I can see why they want to do it, but regular fans would lose a game.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That is a good question in fairness, it’s the one thing that has always caused issues with Magic Weekend in RL. They’ve tried luck of the draw, derby games, and various formulas based on previous finishing positions, none of the ways are quite perfect to everyone.
I think to say those methods of deciding a 39th game “aren’t quite perfect” is a bit of understatement. “****ing ridiculous” would be nearer the mark.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can't see how this works without it being one of the 38 games. A 39th is unfair and sporting integrity is paramount.

I can see why they want to do it, but regular fans would lose a game.
You’d still lose sporting integrity if it was one of the 38 games as half the league would lose a home game and the other half would get an away game at a neutral venue.

optimuswolf

Reaction score
You’d still lose sporting integrity if it was one of the 38 games as half the league would lose a home game and the other half would get an away game at a neutral venue.
Yep. Very difficult to do. Maybe if they took two games abroad?

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You can imagine Sheik Mansour being annoyed that his club doesn't even play in the same country as his Government which owns it.
It's only a 7 hour flight to Abu Dhabi, you can spend longer on a coach between Newcastle and Southampton if you stop for a few.
Can't see a problem myself...5 home matches a year is about fair with 14 in England ?

Wolves could do 5 in Shanghai. Man U, Liverpool and Arsenal could play a round robin in the USA to satisfy their American owners.....kill all those birds off in one go and then leave the rest of the season to be played in England.

Make it a bit more like Formula 1...an English-dominated business but showcased everywhere so more people can watch live.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe just do a grand tour around the world, problem solved

You could have some kind of european league that would be super, inviting the most famous teams into it and they'd never have to worry about relegation.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There's an article in The Athletic with some for and against arguments. It includes the odd stupid and rather pointless comment.

I revamped preseason competition could work, but would it be meaningful? Plus with all this carbon zero stuff going on it would be a bit stupid to then trot off around the globe every season.

Throw in FIFA and UEFA wanting more football tournaments I think players will end up knackering themselves out. But then again they don't put up much of a fight to stop it. Player power extends to how much they are paid by the looks of it.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You can imagine Sheik Mansour being annoyed that his club doesn't even play in the same country as his Government which owns it.
It's only a 7 hour flight to Abu Dhabi, you can spend longer on a coach between Newcastle and Southampton if you stop for a few.
Can't see a problem myself...5 home matches a year is about fair with 14 in England ?

Wolves could do 5 in Shanghai. Man U, Liverpool and Arsenal could play a round robin in the USA to satisfy their American owners.....kill all those birds off in one go and then leave the rest of the season to be played in England.

Make it a bit more like Formula 1...an English-dominated business but showcased everywhere so more people can watch live.
A superb wind-up sir. Otherwise the obvious response is that you have got to be ****ting me. I know that we are called Wanderers but the very idea is ****ing ridiculous...

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You could have some kind of european league that would be super, inviting the most famous teams into it and they'd never have to worry about relegation.
That one is already happening within the next decade unfortunately

Back
Top Bottom