Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Phase 2 of the Team

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I noticed at the weekend that our starting Line up consisted of primarily new signings:

Cunha
Costa
Sarabia
Gomes
Lemina
Nunes
Dawson
Toti (sort of a new signing(!))

We really struggled to evolve from the mainstays of our first four seasons in the league towards the beginning of the season: Coady, Jonny, Saiss, Dendoncker, Mourinho, Traore, Jimenez

Its quietly Impressive that JL has overseen such a swift and pronounced change in personnel with evident success.

I always thought that Cloughie, Ferguson and Wenger had an amazing ability to build new teams and usher in new eras during their respective managerial stewardships. It's nice to see us doing it too now

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Even more stark when you look at team vs Arsenal before Julen formally arrived:

Sa
Semedo Kilman Collins Toti Bueno
Traore Neves Moutinho
Traore Guedes

Subs Sarkic RAN Lembikisa Mosquera Hodge Ronan Nunes Podence Campbell

The bench in particular had only two real options to change the game.

Will be a fascinating Summer. Just planning my driving trip to Spain in my lambo….

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think evolution is always better than revolution but JL has already started his revolution and it will surely continue in the summer with the exits of Neves, Traore, Jonny, Jimenez, Coady and Moutinho. Next season really will be a 'new' team and already looks pretty exciting.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lage comes in for criticism, and much of it is justified.

However, he is often accused of losing the senior players, but hasn't that happened here with Lopetegui?

He's clearly had rows with Ait-Nouri, Jimenez and probably Guedes, and, as the OP highlights, he's building a new team.

I think Lage wanted to do this but wasn't given the backing when he needed it. In fairness, maybe the club had doubts?

Ultimately, those players needed to go, they will mostly be fondly remembered but it is a new era, and it's never easy to shift players on who have done so much for you.

Lopetegui arriving when we were desperate meant he immediately had the power, and providing we get over the line, it could be a bright future with a new team.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We will still have Sa, Semedo, Killman, Collins, Bueno, Neves (?), Bouba, Hodge, Podence, Chiquinho, Neto, Sasa and Hwang from before Loppy arrived, even allowing for Mouts, Raul, Adama, RAN etc... leaving. Of course, it's also likely that some I mentioned above may leave (Neves?) as well as some that the OP mentioned (Nunes?). In truth, the squad next season (provided we stay up), will be a mix of pre-Loppy, post-Loppy and some summer signings. A new era for sure and hopefully one that does as well or even better than Nuno's first couple of years.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lage comes in for criticism, and much of it is justified.

However, he is often accused of losing the senior players, but hasn't that happened here with Lopetegui?

He's clearly had rows with Ait-Nouri, Jimenez and probably Guedes, and, as the OP highlights, he's building a new team.

I think Lage wanted to do this but wasn't given the backing when he needed it. In fairness, maybe the club had doubts?

Ultimately, those players needed to go, they will mostly be fondly remembered but it is a new era, and it's never easy to shift players on who have done so much for you.

Lopetegui arriving when we were desperate meant he immediately had the power, and providing we get over the line, it could be a bright future with a new team.
Reputation is key with managers and also the aura that JLo gives off. Players can argue with him, fall out of favour but it won’t have a detrimental effect on the squad morale.

Bruno didn’t have any clue as to how to handle players as people. They were pieces on a chess board to him. Things like leadership and experience didn’t mean a thing to him.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think evolution is always better than revolution but JL has already started his revolution and it will surely continue in the summer with the exits of Neves, Traore, Jonny, Jimenez, Coady and Moutinho. Next season really will be a 'new' team and already looks pretty exciting.
I am not sure if the evolution to the current line-up or forced by injury and suspension, but either way the team for the last two games clicked and played some of the best football we have seen all year.

They look motivated, aggressive and confident. He is certainly getting the best out of them, and that is all you can ask of a coach.

Don't know who will leave and who will replace them, but if they play in this manner we can look forward to a good season.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Reputation is key with managers and also the aura that JLo gives off. Players can argue with him, fall out of favour but it won’t have a detrimental effect on the squad morale.

Bruno didn’t have any clue as to how to handle players as people. They were pieces on a chess board to him. Things like leadership and experience didn’t mean a thing to him.
Yeah I broadly agree, but I think trying to get rid of players who have been incredible for this football club was never going to be easy.

I just think it's telling that Lopetegui came in and has/will effectively move on many of the senior players, which is exactly what Lage wanted to do.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah I broadly agree, but I think trying to get rid of players who have been incredible for this football club was never going to be easy.

I just think it's telling that Lopetegui came in and has/will effectively move on many of the senior players, which is exactly what Lage wanted to do.
Lopetegui would have been guaranteed a lot more freedom than Lage. I can’t wait to see what happens in pre season and how he sees the squad evolving.

Gazebowolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Lopetegui would have been guaranteed a lot more freedom than Lage. I can’t wait to see what happens in pre season and how he sees the squad evolving.
Lopetegui might have a bit more freedom than Lage but that isn't exactly hard as Lage had none at all. However Lopetegui is still essentially a head coach (rather than a manager) and won't have full say on transfers both in and out. Even in January a lot of the signings were made by the club, as it was common knowledge we were after Dawson well before Lopetegui arrived. Dan Bentley is another one as I doubt that Lopetegui had ever heard of him (a championship reserve goalkeeper) before he rocked up. I also have my doubts over the Sarabia signing as when Lopetegui was manager of Spain not once did he call him up and when he went to Sevilla, Sarabia was the first player out of the door. Joao Gomes was clearly a Hobbs signing from his jolly over to South America last year and the signing of Cunha was facilitated by Mendes.

Wignall 3-0

Groupie
Reaction score
Thanks. Lots to be done in the summer. I have 14 players (perhaps more) to be shipped out in the summer. Going to be busy! We all know what we need. This is what we do not need, or the club will agree to sell.
Coady
Neves (club will sell)
A Traore
Moutinho
Semedo
Costa
Jimenez
Jonny
Hoever
Sarkic
Sanderson
Guedes
Mosquera
Jordao

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Remember, Lopetegui oversaw serious rebuilds at Sevilla, most of which successful.
The last Europa league winning team was a massive squad rebuild in itself, followed by another immediately afterwards where they sold loads of players, to then go on and finish 4th again.
He certainly has pedigree in terms of squad evolution.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I said a few months ago , I think the summer will be the start of the exodus of Portuguese players...once Neves and Moutinho go I think they will start dropping like flies.....I would expect 3/5 to leave this summer and by 18 months time I think we may have NONE left .....

The first cycle is definitely ending.........

Madmalc

Reaction score
I said a few months ago , I think the summer will be the start of the exodus of Portuguese players...once Neves and Moutinho go I think they will start dropping like flies.....I would expect 3/5 to leave this summer and by 18 months time I think we may have NONE left .....

The first cycle is definitely ending.........
Could it be that there's a coming break in the talent flow from Portugal?
Perhaps the price has become too high?

I'm looking forward to next season already though..

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thanks. Lots to be done in the summer. I have 14 players (perhaps more) to be shipped out in the summer. Going to be busy! We all know what we need. This is what we do not need, or the club will agree to sell.
Coady
Neves (club will sell)
A Traore
Moutinho
Semedo
Costa
Jimenez
Jonny
Hoever
Sarkic
Sanderson
Guedes
Mosquera
Jordao

There could be more than that IMO.

Add RAN to that list for starters and I also think we could see a Neto or a Podnece out of the door too.

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Coady
Neves (club will sell)
A Traore
Moutinho
Semedo
Costa
Jimenez
Jonny
Hoever
Sarkic
Sanderson
Guedes
Mosquera
Jordao
This really isn't as bad as it looks though is it. Semedo won't be going, we've got an option to extend his contract and he's been one of our best players recently. I'm not convinced Neves will either if we finish strongly. Costa could also still stay with half the squad coming out in the media and asking for him to stay. Traore and Moutinhos contracts end so they can leave without an issue, 7 are out on loan so have had no impact on the squad and if we can't get rid will just be loaned out again. That just leaves Jiminez and Jonny who I'm sure will both find suitors.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This really isn't as bad as it looks though is it. Semedo won't be going, we've got an option to extend his contract and he's been one of our best players recently. I'm not convinced Neves will either if we finish strongly. Costa could also still stay with half the squad coming out in the media and asking for him to stay. Traore and Moutinhos contracts end so they can leave without an issue, 7 are out on loan so have had no impact on the squad and if we can't get rid will just be loaned out again. That just leaves Jiminez and Jonny who I'm sure will both find suitors.
Wouldn't rule semedo out leaving, we will extend his contract to keep a sale price...... obviously it will depend on what lopetugui wants but I see Semedo as similar to podence and probably Neto....players who we could generate a decent fee for , that can be ploughed back into a new cycle of players ....that lopetugui may choose to use ...

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wouldn't rule semedo out leaving, we will extend his contract to keep a sale price...... obviously it will depend on what lopetugui wants but I see Semedo as similar to podence and probably Neto....players who we could generate a decent fee for , that can be ploughed back into a new cycle of players ....that lopetugui may choose to use ...
Neither Neto or Podence are in the starting 11, Semedo is.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Neither Neto or Podence are in the starting 11, Semedo is.
Yes I agree...semedo will end up at benfica or ath Madrid......it's just a case of this summer or next.......and how much......when not if ........

He would definitely be on my keep list......just wouldn't surprise if he left...that's all.....

Last edited:

Wignall 3-0

Groupie
Reaction score
Pre season squad:
GK Sa, Bentley
CH Kilman, Collins, Dawson, Toti
RWB Lembikisa
LWB Giles, Bueno,
Best position to be determined: Ait- Nouri (do not let RAN be the one who got away) Chiquinho
Midfield: Lemina, B Traore, Nunes, Gomes, Hodge, Kawabe (to see if he has done his homework)
Attackers: Neto, Podence, Sarabia, Hwang. (RAN and Chiquinho)?
Strikers: Kalajdzic, Cunha, Silva.
24 Players

We need:
1 x top quality and 1 quality RWB
1x quality LWB
1x TQ midfield maestro/playmaker
1x Q box to box midfielder
1x TQ Striker big and mobile
1x Q Third experienced striker (would be willing to keep Costa if he scores 4 more goals)
Need 3 top quality signings, and 4 quality signings.
Just my opinion

luiandlui

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Coady
Neves (club will sell)
A Traore
Moutinho
Semedo
Costa
Jimenez
Jonny
Hoever
Sarkic
Sanderson
Guedes
Mosquera
Jordao
I suspect Semedo and Costa will stay. RAN and maybe Neto could go

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Sa will go in the summer . Clearly not the keeper lopetegui wants

I hope we upgrade kilman and think we will.

Most critical though is a striker that can score 10-15+ goals. Absolutely essential

Wolves Heathen

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Upgrade Kilman?, a left footed centre back that can play in a back 3 or 4 added to which he is home grown tell me how many like him are around ?, we may well have a clear out but Kilman won't be one that we will upgrade, that's if we can find someone better for the money we have to spend.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Upgrade Kilman?, a left footed centre back that can play in a back 3 or 4 added to which he is home grown tell me how many like him are around ?, we may well have a clear out but Kilman won't be one that we will upgrade, that's if we can find someone better for the money we have to spend.
He’s too weak in possesion for lopetegui imo.

He won’t be sold, massive player for the squad - but is where we need to upgrade after CF and GK in the way we play

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score
Writing is on the wall for some of our stalwarts - Mouts, Jimenez, Jonny, and Adama. RAN is in the doghouse for some reason, so it looks like he may go, too. Neves will probably go as well, depending on who comes in for him. I suspect that we will exercise the one-year option for Semedo; I predict he will stay unless a great offer comes in.

We need another striker, even if Costa stays and Fabio comes back and especially if we stay with two up top.

With Toti's emergence, I'm not sure if we need another LB, even if RAN moves on.

We need backup/competition to Semedo - Lembikisa is ready for regular men's football out on loan.

If Mouts and Neves move on, then probably another midfielder is in the cards - preferably an attacking midfielder. If Nunes moves on, then one more first-team ready CM will be needed.

I think we're set for our back line, with Dawson, Kilman, Collins, and Toti. Hopefully, our promising youngsters (Lonwijk and Pond) keep improving and will be ready when Dawson packs it in.

Sa may be moved on because he's not great with his feet, but at his price, that's the least of our worries. Don't forget, we have to pay for all of our recent additions, too.

ST - NEW, Sasa, Fabio, Cunha
Wingers - Neto, Hwang, Sarabia, Podence, Chiquinho
CM - NEW, Nunes, B. Traore, Gomes, Lemina, Hodge (might go on loan)
LB - Bueno, Toti
RB - Semedo, NEW
CB - Dawson, Kilman, Collins, (Toti)
GK - Sa, Bentley

I would spend big on a striker and attacking midfielder, then find an experienced RB on a free.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Front 3 of Cunha Costa Neto is mouthwatering if they are fully fit and at it.

SydneyWolf26

Groupie
Reaction score
Personally feel like Neves will stay. He has been brilliant for us, make no mistake, but I don’t feel his stock is as high as it was 12-18 months ago. The club won’t let him move on for a pittance and the vultures won’t be circling like they have in the past.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pre season squad:
GK Sa, Bentley
RWB Lembikisa
LWB Giles, Bueno,
Best position to be determined: Ait- Nouri (do not let RAN be the one who got away) Chiquinho
Midfield: Lemina, B Traore, Nunes, Gomes, Hodge, Kawabe (to see if he has done his homework)
24 Players

We need:
1x quality LWB
1x Q Third experienced striker (would be willing to keep Costa if he scores 4 more goals)
Just my opinion
Giles will be offloaded. Zero chance of him being at Wolves next season in my view.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Writing is on the wall for some of our stalwarts - Mouts, Jimenez, Jonny, and Adama. RAN is in the doghouse for some reason, so it looks like he may go, too. Neves will probably go as well, depending on who comes in for him. I suspect that we will exercise the one-year option for Semedo; I predict he will stay unless a great offer comes in.

We need another striker, even if Costa stays and Fabio comes back and especially if we stay with two up top.

With Toti's emergence, I'm not sure if we need another LB, even if RAN moves on.

We need backup/competition to Semedo - Lembikisa is ready for regular men's football out on loan.

If Mouts and Neves move on, then probably another midfielder is in the cards - preferably an attacking midfielder. If Nunes moves on, then one more first-team ready CM will be needed.

I think we're set for our back line, with Dawson, Kilman, Collins, and Toti. Hopefully, our promising youngsters (Lonwijk and Pond) keep improving and will be ready when Dawson packs it in.

Sa may be moved on because he's not great with his feet, but at his price, that's the least of our worries. Don't forget, we have to pay for all of our recent additions, too.

ST - NEW, Sasa, Fabio, Cunha
Wingers - Neto, Hwang, Sarabia, Podence, Chiquinho
CM - NEW, Nunes, B. Traore, Gomes, Lemina, Hodge (might go on loan)
LB - Bueno, Toti
RB - Semedo, NEW
CB - Dawson, Kilman, Collins, (Toti)
GK - Sa, Bentley

I would spend big on a striker and attacking midfielder, then find an experienced RB on a free.
Can see 2 of those wingers going..don't think wingers are lopetugui thing.....he prefers 2 forwards and more central midfielders over wingers......wingers and wing backs were a Nuno thing ....

Forwards, midfielders and defenders at full back are more lopetugui......think there will be a big change in certain dynamics in the squad .....with wingers being the first out ..

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is only the start of Jules reign at Wolves! We should wait until he really gets what he wants. Promising times ahead he’s changed our dynamic for the better

An amazing transformation from all of 2 weeks ago. Probably a good job we didn't have a poll then. We were apparently looking worse every week, JL was clueless, and we needed Potter in ASAP to prevent the drop.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pre season squad:
GK Sa, Bentley
RWB Lembikisa
LWB Giles, Bueno,
24 Players

We need:
1x quality LWB
Just my opinion

Bloody hell I bet when you were a kid you must have had a lot of Christmasses when you felt Santa had not delivered !

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
agree, will get a good fee for him as well as his stock is high at the moment, think promoted club or high end Champ. think a good fee for Sanderson too from a Sunderland/Stoke type team
Not sure that anyone in the Chump is paying big fees. Sure that we will have a hefty sell-on clause though.

WKFWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure that anyone in the Chump is paying big fees. Sure that we will have a hefty sell-on clause though.
Don't disagree but even 5-7m is pure profit for ffp etc right? Could work for a couple more south American wonderkids

Back
Top Bottom