Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Penalty shout

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Never a peno, if Steele hadn't got anything on the ball it would have been, but since he did any contact with Bellegarde afterwards is incidental.

geowolf

Reaction score
For what its worth i think it should have been a pen.
For those wanting a better view, you may not be aware that if you open the youtube video full screen, press pause at around 2.16, you can advance the picture frame by frame by pressing fullstop and unwind frame by frame by pressing comma.
Wow, fantastic, never knew you could do that. As I thought at the time, Bellegarde gets the ball first but knocks it against the keeper so in my opinion it’s a fair save, no pen. If the touch had gone past the keeper without him touching it then a pen.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Steele completely takes out Bellegarde who was chasing a poor backpass, in the first half last night.

Reviewing the incident hard to see that it wasnt a penalty. Its a reckless challenge, two-footed, not just a penalty, but possibly a red card.

Yet the team and the fans didnt seem to appeal.
Great goalkeeping for me. Got the ball, took out the man, what was there not to like? Probably the only decent thing he did all night.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For what its worth i think it should have been a pen.
For those wanting a better view, you may not be aware that if you open the youtube video full screen, press pause at around 2.16, you can advance the picture frame by frame by pressing fullstop and unwind frame by frame by pressing comma.
Could you please pass that on to the VAR officials :)

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great goalkeeping for me. Got the ball, took out the man, what was there not to like? Probably the only decent thing he did all night.
The fact its a potential leg breaker of a challenge?
Anywhere else on the park you can't go for the ball studs showing with two legs off the ground. Keepers can seemingly?

Wolf in the sun

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
has anyone got a slow mo replay ? as when i saw it..i felt bellegarde touched the ball 1st and knocked it slightly to the right ?

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
has anyone got a slow mo replay ? as when i saw it..i felt bellegarde touched the ball 1st and knocked it slightly to the right ?
Yes, that's what I think, the keeper then kicked it too though, hence where it went.

Thing is in this discussion the split in opinion (although mostly one way) is that the keeper took the ball, but used excessive force in the challenge so it's still a foul. He did go in quite clumsily, not the sort of tackle an outfielder would make, but I don't think it reaches that bar.

Linwolf

Reaction score
Another example of Wolves fans with their rose-coloured spectacles on. Never a penalty as Steele got the ball and Bellegarde went over the top. It looked dramatic, esp being in the penalty area and had that been Sa on Wellbeck we would outraged if a penalty had resulted.
I think you'll find that every club forum will be full of 'we should have had a pen' and 'anywhere else on the pitch' shouts but tbf almost everyone on here says it wasn't a pen, which it wasn't, VAR would have looked at it anyway for what that's worth, like the Kilman non-handball, they waste time with a VAR check, just play on they are clearly not penalties.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, that's what I think, the keeper then kicked it too though, hence where it went.

Thing is in this discussion the split in opinion (although mostly one way) is that the keeper took the ball, but used excessive force in the challenge so it's still a foul. He did go in quite clumsily, not the sort of tackle an outfielder would make, but I don't think it reaches that bar.

Not for a goalie it isn’t …… this is the one are I strongly believe goalies should get more protection. They need to dive and be powerful
To do their job, you get the ball in anyway job done well done lad!

Did it look ugly yes, but he did his job which is keep the ball out the net by saving the ball.

Goalies have to use more force or they are the ones who get injured in collisions in the majority of cases.

If this incident involved Sa I bet not one person on the forum says it is a pen against us.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If this is a penalty then defenders should be giving away 3 or 4 penalties a game whenever they take the man after trying to slide to block a shot that’s missed the target or been saved. It’s part and parcel of the game; defending is being made harder and harder and will soon be made near impossible if any contact is deemed a penalty.

As @wolfslair says, it’s guaranteed that if Sa had done this we would all be saying what a brilliant and brave piece of keeping it was.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not for a goalie it isn’t …… this is the one are I strongly believe goalies should get more protection. They need to dive and be powerful
To do their job, you get the ball in anyway job done well done lad!

Did it look ugly yes, but he did his job which is keep the ball out the net by saving the ball.

Goalies have to use more force or they are the ones who get injured in collisions in the majority of cases.

If this incident involved Sa I bet not one person on the forum says it is a pen against us.
I get the need to be powerful I don't get the need to go in two footed. I don't buy that he's making himself look big or spreading himself there, he's just gone in for the ball two-footed.
If bellegarde got injured from that, which he's quite lucky really that he didn't I think people would be saying wtf.
Centre backs would do that to win the ball if they were allowed to as well, hell it's not that long ago that they used to. They're not because it breaks legs.

ade123

Reaction score
No penalty for me. JRB def has first touch, keeper pushes out his left foot and deflects ball up in the air. Keepers feet are flat on the ground, or as near flat as possible. Momentum of Steel carries him towards JRB. Interestingly if you advance and back frame there is not much of a body contact (maybe just an initial 'tackle'), almost looks as if JRB sees Steele coming and hurdles him to avoid injuring him.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I get the need to be powerful I don't get the need to go in two footed. I don't buy that he's making himself look big or spreading himself there, he's just gone in for the ball two-footed.
If bellegarde got injured from that, which he's quite lucky really that he didn't I think people would be saying wtf.
Centre backs would do that to win the ball if they were allowed to as well, hell it's not that long ago that they used to. They're not because it breaks legs.

Gk is a whole body position….. what he did while it looked ugly was fine as he got the ball.

You can make an ugly looking slide and get the ball one time and miss it the next.

Risk v reward type save from the keeper and that time it worked for him…. Just…..,

Nothing to see here….. keeper makes ugly save that is all

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Saw it on the highlights and didn't consider if it might be a penalty. It simply wasn't.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Steele completely takes out Bellegarde who was chasing a poor backpass, in the first half last night.

Reviewing the incident hard to see that it wasnt a penalty. Its a reckless challenge, two-footed, not just a penalty, but possibly a red card.

Watched it live then reviewed it on our ipad, didn't appeal as it wasn't a foul.

Dingle Chris

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think it is. JR gets there first and just because it hits the keeper as he tries to lift it over him doesn’t not make it a foul for me. Some of the **** that has been given against us this season!

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The fact its a potential leg breaker of a challenge?
Anywhere else on the park you can't go for the ball studs showing with two legs off the ground. Keepers can seemingly?
All tackles are potential leg breakers. The keeper didn’t go in studs up or over the ball. So your post is just sensationalist nonsense.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Pretty much equivalent by Ederson today, ten Hag thought it might be a penalty (never in a million years)

Lisas Husband

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

No. Never a penalty for me. If he gets the man first then there's a good shout for one, but he has to get the man after the ball if he's going to defend his goal. He's not going to sit back and wait for a shot to come in.

Back
Top Bottom