Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Pedro Martins

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pedro Martins

Style of Football

Records

Stats

Preferred formation
4-2-3-1
or 4-3-3 attacking

And then thoughts on him potentially new manager of wolves

My personal opinion, is his style of play would link up well with the 4-2-3-1 which i feel is wolves best formation with current squad. With neves and nunes controlling the midfield.

He has a good record in olympiacos, but never been in the big european leagues

Im sure Sa and Podence will have good familiarity and have already talked about him

I have concerns, but anyone know about his english speaking ability?

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can't see a thread on him.
But looks like he is going to be the man

Honestly, he was the one I was least enthused about.

So, what's his preferred formation, style? Does he speak good English? Can someone convince me he is the correct man?

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Delighted if we can get him. Very good managerial record.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not remotely excited about this.
It doesnt appear to be exciting, and it really does appear it was the next "available" on the mendes list, perhaps jardim doesnt want to manage.

No idea, i can only guess sa and podence have had some input into ideology about the guy (no idea)

JamesWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It doesnt appear to be exciting, and it really does appear it was the next "available" on the mendes list, perhaps jardim doesnt want to manage.

No idea, i can only guess sa and podence have had some input into ideology about the guy (no idea)

That mean we can continue to see Podence give the ball away 18x a game ?

As soons as you saw Hull had turned him away (****ING HULL!) he was always going to end up here. Just stinks of no ambition and more of keeping Mendes happy

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Experienced, has had his team playing some decent football (as we've seen), 4 years younger than Lopetegui as well, 4atb which seems to be what most want.

As you asked earlier, Northampton, what's his English like?

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Deeply unimaginative appointment but at least Sa and Podence know him.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Martins is a next manager then please join with me and give him the full support he will need a deserve
Whoever is at the helm gets full support match day and beyond from me. I like his tactics i just dont know if is the long term progression for us. But hey he could lead us to glory.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think he's got a raw deal in terms of how he's viewed on here and by fans in general.

He has a good CV outside of Olympiacos and whilst they are expected to win the league, it's another thing to actually do it on three occasions and they crucially did well in Europe.

Like Lopetegui, he wasn't helped by recruitment before his sacking this season and even going out to Maccabi Haifa doesn't look as embarrassing as it did when you see them beat Juventus!

Plays a good style, knows the players, so advantages to that.

However, it does feel a bit Lage-esque. We'd heard how good he was as an attacking coach, how he could transform the side etc. and it didn't happen. I can understand why people want a coach proven in a tougher league.

Overall though, I don't think he's a bad option and if he's the man get it done before Saturday.

Burford T Justice

Reaction score

As soons as you saw Hull had turned him away (****ING HULL!) he was always going to end up here. Just stinks of no ambition and more of keeping Mendes happy
Hull turned him away because they couldn't afford him. Not sure how this is difficult to understand

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Experienced, has had his team playing some decent football (as we've seen), 4 years younger than Lopetegui as well, 4atb which seems to be what most want.

As you asked earlier, Northampton, what's his English like?
No idea about english, i believe its poor, his tactics fit i can say that much

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think he's got a raw deal in terms of how he's viewed on here and by fans in general.

He has a good CV outside of Olympiacos and whilst they are expected to win the league, it's another thing to actually do it on three occasions and they crucially did well in Europe.

Like Lopetegui, he wasn't helped by recruitment before his sacking this season and even going out to Maccabi Haifa doesn't look as embarrassing as it did when you see them beat Juventus!

However, it does feel a bit Lage-esque. We'd heard how good he was as an attacking coach, how he could transform the side etc. and it didn't happen. I can understand why people want a coach proven in a tougher league.

Overall though, I don't think he's a bad option and if he's the man get it done before Saturday.
Given its advanced negotiations, and hull turned him away due to salary demands among other demands, i think this could get over the line by Friday

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't mind Pedro Martin's ...wanted him over lage desperately a few weeks ago ....... obviously the hull thing will Skue people's opinion....but after lopetugui it does feel like ending up with the fat freind on a date...

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's a good manager. Agreed he isn't particularly exciting or fashionable but I think he will get much more out of these players than Lage.
Podence will play 10 in a 4-2-3-1 at least, so i expect players to play in there correct positions.

There is a lot to be said, ill be very interested if it gets over the line what his first XI will be (once all the lads are fit)

TFWanderers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

He walked away from Hull due to a more enticing proposition being on the horizon.

Reactions: Ian

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tactical style:

Their performances throughout the season were exciting and that was something Olympiacos fans had not seen for years. For that the reason why they gave a standing ovation in the last match of the Championship to Pedro Martins and his players, despite them not managing to win a title.

The team played an offensive style of football with high-pressure on the opponent’s defense. They scored the most goals in Super League, created the most chances compared to all the other teams, made the most passes and made the fewest fouls. All of these statistics have arisen from the good work of Pedro Martins.

Another advantage of Pedro Martins is that he managed to make some players change their status and helped them to improve. Players like Kostas Fortounis, who was linked to West Ham, or Mady Camara, who had proposals from Germany. Jose Sa was Porto’s third choice goalkeeper and his performances this season incited Betis’ interest in him.

Pedro Martins’s offensive 4-2-3-1

Pedro Martins likes to use an offensive style of play. He adapted the team to his offensive 4-2-3-1 tactics that is based on a transition game with fast movements of the ball. He tells his players to move continuously on the pitch, making space for their teammates and also giving them the opportunity to pass the ball to someone who is free.

Super League Greece 2018/19 Tactical Analysis: Pedro Martins at OlympiacosThe 4-2-3-1 tactics of Pedro Martins.
He makes keeps the distances between each line close to the other, about 20 meters. The two wide defenders of the team have to be full backs making overlaps, something that makes inroads in the opponent’s defence.

Pedro Martins also want the defensive midfielder to be fast and know how to pass the ball. The defensive and attacking transition is based on the two midfielders he uses the most. Camara and Guilherme help the build-up game and passing the ball forward. Also, the striker presses the opponent’s center backs and the triple threat behind him are also close to him, helping with the press.

Team transitions: attacking and defending

Martins asks his players to have the lines close to the other. It is basic for a team that wants to play a type of modern football to have small distances between the lines. That’s what Olympiacos have in their games and you can see it in the image below.

Super League Greece 2018/19 Tactical Analysis: Pedro Martins at OlympiacosNine players of Olympiacos close to the ball. The four players of the defense are in a straight line, Guilherme is close to the opponent who has the ball and the other central midfielder, Camara, behind them. Fortounis, Podence, and Nahuel came closer to the defensive line and the striker Manos is the only player who is not defending.
Many times Olympiacos also play a bit defensively in the pitch. That was effective because the team couldn’t concede a goal and when they were getting the ball back, they had the chance to hit in the counter and get as many players as possible in the opponent’s area.

Super League Greece 2018/19 Tactical Analysis: Pedro Martins at OlympiacosSmall distances between the lines, even Guerrero who was the striker against AEK Athens, had to get back and help the team defend.
If we see the attacking transition of Olympiacos, we will notice that Martins wants as many as possible to get in the opponent’s pitch and hit in the counter. When a player gains the position, he has many options close to him and his teammates are free to pass them the ball.

Super League Greece 2018/19 Tactical Analysis: Pedro Martins at OlympiacosBouchalakis (number 1) steals the ball and has five options close to him to pass the ball and hit in the counter-attack.
Martins gets his players to move all around the pitch and gives the order to the wingers to get close to the striker and be like a false 9.

Super League Greece 2018/19 Tactical Analysis: Pedro Martins at OlympiacosThe central midfielder (Guilherme) finds the winger (Masouras) with a long ball into the back of the opponent’s defense, meanwhile, the striker (Hassan) has moved closer to Guilherme and makes space for his teammate.

Counterattacks

Olympiacos is a team that maintains the lions share of possession in their matches. The players are moving continuously on the pitch to make spaces for their teammates and also like to control the rhythm, keeping the possession and trying to find the perfect situation to create chances. But when they defend, the lines are close to each other to make interceptions and retake the possession they can move the ball quickly, and transition into offensive shapes.

Super League Greece 2018/19 Tactical Analysis: Pedro Martins at Olympiacos

Super League Greece 2018/19 Tactical Analysis: Pedro Martins at OlympiacosAs you can see in the photos, the player with the ball has at least four options to pass the ball.

High press, interceptions and creating chances

As we have noticed before, Pedro Martins is asking his players to maintain a high press on the opponent’s defenders. The players are aggressive, playing with a high work rate and force their opponents to make mistakes. Then they regain possession, making interceptions and stealing the ball so that they can have overlays in their game. Through their aggressive style of play and the high press, Olympiacos was the team in the Greek top flight with the fewest fouls committed (388).

Super League Greece 2018/19 Tactical Analysis: Pedro Martins at OlympiacosAll of Olympiacos’ players are in the opponent’s half of the pitch and pressing high. The last player, Papis Abu Cisse, is in the midfield.
Super League Greece 2018/19 Tactical Analysis: Pedro Martins at OlympiacosSix players outside of the box, pressing the defense and trying to steal the ball while the other three are some meters away.

Olympiacos ranked first in terms of chances created (444) in Super League and also the team that scored the most goals (71) and made the most correct passes. They made overlays against their opponents and there were times that eight or nine of their players were high up the pitch and taking part in the attacking game.

Super League Greece 2018/19 Tactical Analysis: Pedro Martins at OlympiacosEight of Olympiacos’ players take part in the attacking game.Super League Greece 2018/19 Tactical Analysis: Pedro Martins at Olympiacos
Nine of Olympiacos’ players take part in the attacking game and help the team regain the position when it’s lost.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

His CV outside Olympiacos is quite mediocre. As shown previously by posters on here, his achievements in Portugal was neither better or worse than his successor and presuccessors at the clubs as he was at.
However he has done well at Olympiacos I agree, and as well as the domestic succes, his results in Europe has been quite impressive. As previously stated, Marco Silva was seen as the next big thing after doing for one season, what Martins did for several.

Writer Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
I've been quietly excited by this guy and think he might positively surprise if given the job. I'm not sure why there's been so much negativity around his potential appointment.

From what I've read, he has a good footballing brain. He might not be charismatic as such, but it's the results that matter. I won't be unhappy if it's him.

Back
Top Bottom