Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Paul Jones fumble

S

Sharples

First game of the 04/05 season, Stoke away. Lost 2-1 I think. Team in pieces, Sturidge running off to sort out his contact lenses, Leon Clarke trying to be the next Bully and of course Paul Jones, fumbling the ball...twice...while trying to pick it up.

Has anyone got footage of this howler?

WV10Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought we released Paul Jones at the end of the 03/04 season?

Having just consulted wiki it seems he left in Jan 2006. I blame this lapse on the fact that I was at uni at the time and spent most my time drinking

Last edited by a moderator:
B

bridgnorthwolf

As did Mark Clyde who I saw about an hour ago on his dustbin round.

S

Sharples

100000000% played. Its spoken about on a regular basis even to this day.

The game was on Sky I think but cant find anything on it!

S

Shergar

I remember being in the away end at The Vic and we had a Paul Jones playing for us in midfield (think we got him from Walsall, we paid money for him and sent him out to non-league retirement).... he was all perm and shocking.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jones

Clyde Craddock Bjorklund (Edwards, 63) Naylor (Cooper, 75)

Newton Olofinjana Cameron Kennedy

Miller Sturridge (Clarke, 45)

The average age of that side must have been at least 28/29. I can remember having hope/expectation we would bounce right back that year too. A certain Karl Henry played for Stoke that day with Ade Akinbiyi upfront.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Space Wolf

I remember Miller and Newton I think it was, having a few handbags on the pitch and they had to be separated.

woop woop barmy army

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
remember this game also, terrible start to a season

Bjorklund what a terrible centre half, how many games did he actually play for us in the end?

Mutley

Reaction score
Didn't we miss a penalty too. We had a terrible run on missing penalties at the start of that season.

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember this game. Darrell Russell (sp) scored for them and they totally dominated us.

I think Miller & Newts had an argument after defending a corner or something like that. Total hand bags.

Think we followed it up with a 2-2 draw to Preston at home. Think their keeper (Lonergan) had a blinder against us too.

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Didn't we miss a penalty too. We had a terrible run on missing penalties at the start of that season.

No, we scored a penalty in that game through Miller in the final few minutes.

We did however then go on to miss penalties against:
Leeds (Miller)
Wigan (Miller again!)
Burnley in the League Cup (Cort AND Andrews!.. Cort then missed again in a shootout, as did Olofinjana)
Forest (Newton)

Eventually Kevin Cooper started taking them and put a few away.

D

dolph

First game of the 04/05 season, Stoke away. Lost 2-1 I think. Team in pieces, Sturidge running off to sort out his contact lenses, Leon Clarke trying to be the next Bully and of course Paul Jones, fumbling the ball...twice...while trying to pick it up.

Has anyone got footage of this howler?

Permanently stuck in my head. The hopes of that season was quashed in that game, even the many pint's didn't numb the pain.

and people think we are in a bad position now!

S

Sharples

No, we scored a penalty in that game through Miller in the final few minutes.

We did however then go on to miss penalties against:
Leeds (Miller)
Wigan (Miller again!)
Burnley in the League Cup (Cort AND Andrews!.. Cort then missed again in a shootout, as did Olofinjana)
Forest (Newton)

Eventually Kevin Cooper started taking them and put a few away.

Kenny Miller doesnt like his penalties...

B

bridgnorthwolf

With his dodgy knees?!

He gets about ok! He's always running, never walking when he's emptying the bins so appears to be pretty fit.

Up until last season he played in the same five-a-side league as me and was very useful! He signed for Worcester and played but didn't train.

Also up until probably nearly 12 months ago now he lived in my street.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As a fan I was never confident when he stepped up but least he had the balls to step up to take them to be fair to him.

The following season I can remember him scoring a few vital pens to be fair, and he also took the penalties for Celtic & Rangers, often in important games such as the old firm ones and in europe.

J

JR's Boots

I remember the game well. It pretty well confirmed that we were screwed for the season because Stoke at the time were their usual champ cannon fodder side with nine thousand fans. The idea that only a few months before we had been a PL team seemed laughable. Bjorkland looked like he's walked out of a pub for a quick kick about.

PREM.L.L

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
DJ's brain had long since turned to rice pudding.

Remember we could not score a penalty to save our lives that season. When we used to get one i'd be inwardly groaning, hoping for one bit of luck..... with a $$$$ing penalty I ask yer!

On sunday as Miller walked up in the shootout........ i thought "nope".

Sheriff Woody

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting that Stokieinstafford hasn't contributed to this thread........ I assume it's because it was a championship game and he probably didn't support them then.

F

FRAZ-WOLF

I remember this game it was embarrassing think stoke had a pen? I know miller scored one which was in the last min Akinbiyi played for Stoke at this time sure of it real hot day and one best forgot. Jones was shocking his 2nd spell for us. Just cheap at the time same with Cort did well until he got injured. Always scored past QPR though :)

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember that match. Who was it who wanted DJ back as manager?

B

BlackBully

Kevin Cooper....he was class, whatever happened to him? He scored that screamer at home in the playoffs but it wasn't enough.

W

we8wba

didnt we have an appalling record in penalties like 1 in 17 or something ridiclous

up stepped cooper on cold midweek game (about 10th man in line for pens)

finally someone had sense to smash it down the middle to end the hoodoo

Sutton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Kevin Cooper....he was class, whatever happened to him? He scored that screamer at home in the playoffs but it wasn't enough.

I remember him having both ankles "done" in a nasty tackle by Scott Parker who played for Charlton at the time.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score

Wasn't it Kevin Cooper who was supposedly Desert Wolf on here and used to give us all the early team news?!

T

Tomasz

Good memories chaps, I was in the away end, with Petewolf, it was sunny and I thought we were going to walk the league. How wrong I was.

Early team news was ace :D

JAIRDUCOCHET

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Remember when Paul Jones alienated himself against some of our fans by doing the 'AYATOLLAH' to the Cardiff fans one game ???

Scott.Cooper

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Remember when Paul Jones alienated himself against some of our fans by doing the 'AYATOLLAH' to the Cardiff fans one game ???

We got battered I seem to remember, I think he threw one in.

Was that the game which saw a delay to the second half as WMP smashed their fans with battons?

OoohRobbieRobbie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Paul Jones. Made a couple of clangers in his time with us. I thought he was a great reserve to Super Micky Stowell, and often had great games. But this sticks in my mind, along with the two howlers vs Middlesbrough the season they got promoted (around 96/97? I may be way off). He tried to catch a cross one handed and dropped it perfectly for their striker, Uwe Fuchs I think. Then he came rushing out of goal in a moment of madness and his clearance cannoned off the same striker who made it 2-0 in an empty net!

Saltyjim

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The howler against Boro was only a couple of weeks after his heroics in the penalty shoot-out v Wednesday. I would say he was unlucky that he was here at the same time as Stowell and didn't become a first choice until he went to Stockport. When he was at Southampton he was one of the best keepers in the Prem.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Micky Stowell, legend.

Remember that Stoke game well, also remember the penalty hoodoo we seemed to had. Looking at that line up makes me dread to think what things will be like next season if we go down.

People who think we will bounce straight back need to look at that team and what relegation does to a side.

Back
Top Bottom