Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Past encounters with Tottenham Hotspur FC

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
First the stats, 29 won, 48 lost and 21 drawn with our first game taking place in 1908.

Over the years, there’s been some memorable games including a 6-2 win (Hartwill 3, Jones, Martin and Phillips) in 1935 and a 7-4 defeat (Buckley, kirkham, Mcllmoyle and Wharton) in 1965, but in cup competitions we’ve always come out second best with disappointment in the FA Cup, League Cup and UEFA Cup.

Personally, I’ve never forgiven Spurs for what they did to my football club in 1972.
In May of that year, my heart was broken in the first leg of the UEFA Cup Final when their centre forward “Martin Chivers” scored 2 at Molineux to give them a slender lead with Jim McCalliog replying for us. A 1-1 (Wagstaffe) draw at White Hart Lane a week later would not be enough and the cup would go to North London and with it mine and the clubs dreams of European silverware.

During December of the same year, we would have the opportunity to get revenge, this time in a two legged League Cup semi-final. The first leg was almost a re-run of the UEFA final when again we lost 2-1 (Hibbitt) at Molineux.
The second leg took place the day before New Years Eve, and I remember hearing “I don’t believe in Miracles” by Colin Blunstone being blasted out over the WHL terraces before the game. I was hoping for a miracle, but suffice to say one didn’t turn up and that man Chivers did us again in a 2-2 draw (Richards, Naylor og) and with it exit from another cup competition.

I never wanted to play Spurs ever again after that especially in a cup competition but in 1981 we were paired together again, this time in a FA Cup semi-final at Hillsborough.
As soon as the name Spurs came out of the hat the writing was on the wall, and although we earned a creditable 2-2 draw (Carr, Hibbitt) in the first game, we would not fair so well in the replay.
To this day I’ll never understand why the FA decided on Arsenal’s Highbury stadium to hold the replay as for Spurs it was almost a home tie for their supporters, but rallied on by their extra support they ran out 3-0 winners.

So putting cup competitions aside, and for us to come out with some credit here, let’s not forget our recent successes in London including 3-1 win (Boly, Jiminez and Costa) at Wembley in December 2018 and then a few days after returning from Barcelona in March 2020 we won 3-2 (Doherty, Jota and Jiminez) at their new stadium.

Contributions as always gratefully received.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
So glad that my last away trip for for so long was that game at Spurs. I'd like to apologise again to Raul for my lack of faith as he cut back when I was shouting at him to hit it!

Last edited:

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We seem to often be drawn in cup games against this lot.

I remember we played them in the FA Cup R4 in 1969 and lost at WHL -1-2. I didn't go to that but I went to Hull away in the 3rd round. My very first away day aged 15 (without older relatives) complete with huge scarf which reached the ankles(both sides). Parka, Levi's, Ben Sherman and brown 'billy' Brogue shoes! As was the way in 1969.

I was at Hillsborough in 1981 (went on the train and every carriage except ours was vandalised by our own fans on the return journey. Met at Wolverhampton by rows of police with dogs. A day I felt truly ashamed to be a Wolves fan, even though we hadn't trashed our carriage.)
Kenny Hibbitt winked at the Wolves fans after we were awarded a last gasp penalty. 'gamesmanship' (cheating) is not a modern day issue but we were very happy on the day! Of course this game saw the warning signs for 1989, with Spurs fans spilling onto the pitch at the Leppings Lane End. Some started to make their way gesticulating towards the end we were in but gave it second thoughts and joined their comrades sitting around the pitch.

The European final. much discussed on here was a sickener. The only game we lost in the entire cup run was the final at Molineux. In the North Bank but didn't do the return.

In 1969/70 we played them in the LC 2nd round at Molineux and beat them 1-0. Can't rememeber the scorer. In fact that season we didn't lose to them in the league either. 2-2 at Molineux won 1-0 away. That league game at Molineux was early on in the season IIRC and as I took up position in the Nortjh Bank at about 2pm to get in( as back then the North Bank was often full by 2-30 )we witnessed a few scuffles with Spurs fans who had got in the North Bank. They were ejected by police after legging it to the front but I recall seeing blood stains on the floor. followed by a tannoy announcement 'There has been a stabbing on the North bank,please come forward and give any information'. Game went ahead but I we never did find out who was stabbed, a Wolves fan or a Spurs fan but I recall being a tad apprehensive about it all. Sad times and developments on the violence front.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A 1-0 Kevin Doyle winner was a great day out and we met a legend in a lady called Sarah, who was a terrible guitar player but gave us a lot of laughs in the pub. I hope she’s well and still playing awful guitar somewhere

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We seem to often be drawn in cup games against this lot.

I remember we played them in the FA Cup R4 in 1969 and lost at WHL -1-2. I didn't go to that but I went to Hull away in the 3rd round. My very first away day aged 15 (without older relatives) complete with huge scarf which reached the ankles(both sides). Parka, Levi's, Ben Sherman and brown 'billy' Brogue shoes! As was the way in 1969.

I was at Hillsborough in 1981 (went on the train and every carriage except ours was vandalised by our own fans on the return journey. Met at Wolverhampton by rows of police with dogs. A day I felt truly ashamed to be a Wolves fan, even though we hadn't trashed our carriage.)
Kenny Hibbitt winked at the Wolves fans after we were awarded a last gasp penalty. 'gamesmanship' (cheating) is not a modern day issue but we were very happy on the day! Of course this game saw the warning signs for 1989, with Spurs fans spilling onto the pitch at the Leppings Lane End. Some started to make their way gesticulating towards the end we were in but gave it second thoughts and joined their comrades sitting around the pitch.

The European final. much discussed on here was a sickener. The only game we lost in the entire cup run was the final at Molineux. In the North Bank but didn't do the return.

In 1969/70 we played them in the LC 2nd round at Molineux and beat them 1-0. Can't rememeber the scorer. In fact that season we didn't lose to them in the league either. 2-2 at Molineux won 1-0 away. That league game at Molineux was early on in the season IIRC and as I took up position in the Nortjh Bank at about 2pm to get in( as back then the North Bank was often full by 2-30 )we witnessed a few scuffles with Spurs fans who had got in the North Bank. They were ejected by police after legging it to the front but I recall seeing blood stains on the floor. followed by a tannoy announcement 'There has been a stabbing on the North bank,please come forward and give any information'. Game went ahead but I we never did find out who was stabbed, a Wolves fan or a Spurs fan but I recall being a tad apprehensive about it all. Sad times and developments on the violence front.
the spurs fans were allowed a small area bottom left of the kop 1n 81.
the police were heavy handed in moving wolves fans and said the crush was because of forged tickets.
lying toads

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
the spurs fans were allowed a small area bottom left of the kop 1n 81.
the police were heavy handed in moving wolves fans and said the crush was because of forged tickets.
lying toads
I was on the Kop but over the other side to that small section. There was some disturbance but we didn't know what was happening.

The remarks by police remain a disgrace and the overspill, just like in 1989. had little to do with 'troublemakers' or forged tickets. In fact at FA Cup S/F and Wembley visits I always saw touts but remarked I hadn't seen any at Hillsborough.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
League Cup Semi-Final 2nd leg at White Hart Lane, 1972

Remember taking a local bus (from where I can't remember) to WHL and there sitting opposite us were three skinheads wearing Spurs scalves. They'd seen my Wolves crest that was sewn onto my crombie and stared me out for the whole journey.
We were followed off the bus and I prepared myself for a good kicking but surprisingly it didn't come.

The game ended 1-1 (2-3 on aggregate) and they would go on to beat Norwich City 1-0 in the final at Wembley.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
First the stats, 29 won, 48 lost and 21 drawn with our first game taking place in 1908.

Is there any team we have actually had the better of, historically? :(

Recently, we've had both Albion, Brighton & Southampton who have won more than us. It seems odd, given we have won more trophies than most, how often this is the case. I even looked it up on one of those "head to head historical results sites". Was amazing how all the main teams - Man U, Liverpool, even Villa, had beaten us more than we'd beaten them.

With Albion, I thought it might be the "smaller club more up for it syndrome". Local derbies known to be great levellers and all that. But no, again, it's just us. Liverpool have dominated Everton. Villa dominated Blues. Man Utd dominated Man City, Nottm Forest dominated Notts Co... and so on.

To balance out the successes of the 1950's, we must have had some really awful seasons in our history.

Oh yeah - Burnley , the exception that proves the rule (35 wins, 24 defeats). :D

Matthew Clark

Groupie
Reaction score
The PL match at Molineux in 2011 is the one that sticks out for me, Dean Richards (RIP) died a week or two before and both teams put on a great match, 3-3 after lovely tribute for him before kick off

Tojo the grass

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Dean Richards game was quite an occasion, a couple of days after he passed away I think, very emotional. A cracking game if I remember correctly a draw I think 2:2 was it?

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So glad that my last away trip for for so long was that game at Spurs. I'd like to apologise again to Raul for my lack of faith as he cut back when I was shouting at him to hit it!

I'm finding it hard to come to terms with the fact 18 months down the line at our next attendable away game, that the lineup is going to be nothing like that one.

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watched that game on the box. I remember the ref, Mark Halsey, denying Stearman's goal to make it 3-3 and being utterly enraged that we were being robbed. Then Fletcher scored for real, and there was much shouting and swearing and fist waving, which made my young daughter cry and hide in a corner because she wasn't used to seeing me do that. That was a bloody tense game, though.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I found out recently that in the 81 FA Cup Final replay the tickets for that match when on general sale in London meaning that 80% of the crowd were Spurs fans ! So even though the Semi Final replay venue was done on a coin toss, even Inspector Clouseau might be able to detect a slight bias in what was the 100th FA Cup Final so a London club could win it !

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm finding it hard to come to terms with the fact 18 months down the line at our next attendable away game, that the lineup is going to be nothing like that one.

Yes - that winning goal. One of our best in my lifetime, from the flick that starts it off to Raul tying the defender in knots before the sublime finish. It's football poetry :)

Different lineup this time, but what's the odds we start badly, go a goal behind, then against all odds, turn it round and get a result?

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Indeed, crazy that the key players in those goals are Jota, Doc and even Vinagre, please God let Raul return like the player he was.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The biggest Spurs related disappointment for me was losing in the UEFA Cup Final in 1972.

After beating Juventus and then Ferencvaros in the semi , we were hoping for AC Milan in the final, but no it had to be our bogey side Tottenham bloody Hotspur !!
That first leg at Moilneux could have gone either way with Danny Hegan having a specualtive effort from the half way line which just cleared Jenning's bar (or that's how it appeared to me on a crowded North Bank).
Spurs won the game 2-1 and the return finished 1-1.
I still have the program and the memories, but nearly 50 years on we're still in search of that holy grail.

One day, we will go to Gdansk, Istanbul, Rome or wherever and contest a final, I just hope its in my lifetime.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I noticed that in the season 1979/80 when Wolves won the League Cup for some reason we did not play Spurs until April and then both games took place ! Wolves lost 1-2 at Molineux on April 5th with a goal from King John. Then later that month on a Wednesday night ,this leads me to think the away match was rearranged from earlier in the season being a midweek game, as I seem to be remember the winter of 79/80 was a bad one. ( not for a 14 year old kid as we had several days home due to snow and the school boiler breaking down ! ) It was played on April 22nd with Norman Bell and Kenny Hibbitt scoring for Wolves.

I see also in the season we lost in the replay that Wolves actually took 4 points of Spurs that helped keep us up as what a tense finish there was down at the bottom in the 1980/81 season, Sky would have had a meltdown with the hype they could have generated as Palace were bottom on 19 ( clearly they were not going to be the team of the eighties then ! ) then it got really tight as Leicester had 32, Norwich 33 so they were relegated then incredibly Brighton, Wolves and Sunderland had 35 with Coventry ( those of us who were around at the time just accepted the Sky Blues and Birmingham City would turn in their usual end of season miracle and survive ) and Everton on 36 so to say it was congested is an understatement ! Wolves drew 0-0 with Everton at Molineux on the last day of the season a result that suited both. Wolves drew 2-2 with Spurs at " The Lane " on November 8th 1980 with Hugh Atkinson and John Richards scoring. Then on April 30th 1981 just 15 days after the crushing blow of losing the replay Andy Gray grabbed the only goal at Molineux.

In the season Wolves went down ( which one Norm I hear you shout ! ) in 1981/82 I had forgotten that Wolves suffered a narrow loss at home to Spurs on February 8th ...................................................... Wolves 1 Tottenham 6 :eek::eek:

As a Wolves fan of some 48 years like many of my fellow fans I growl that so and so always scores against us but we had two players who had excellent scoring records v Spurs as John Richards managed 7 goals and Kenny Hibbitt scored 5 times. Derek Parkin who was not exactly Matt Doherty when it came to scoring from full back did score one of his 6 career goals in over 500 appearances in a 3-2 away defeat in the 74/75 season. Geoff Palmer also had a goal that was not a penalty in 3-1 away win in the 73/74 season with Barry Powell who scored 2 of his 8 Wolves career goals v Tottenham grabbing one and Kenny Hibbitt the other.

Wolves actually had a better record against Spurs in the seventies and early eighties than I remembered but I suppose as they won the UEFA Cup Final and knocked us out of the FA Cup and League Cup Semi that tends to be the results that stick in the mind.

JimB

Groupie
Reaction score
Went to both the semi finals in 81’, and remember freezing cold on the bus back to Bridgnorth because the windows were smashed going up Holloway Road.

Reaction score
My 1st ever match at Molineux was around 1971 Wolves 0 Spurs 3 so you can imagine how I felt with the the UEFA cup and League cup defeats. And for the record I was at Highbury for the replay (knew we had no chance when Andy Gray failed a fitness test) and also at WHL for the 6-1 defeat .

I flippin hate Spurs!!!!!

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My most abiding memory of them is a loss too. And you won't be surprised it was a long time ago, but it still hurts even if some of the details have faded from memory. The first thing-- it was the biggest official crowd I have ever been part of at Molineux. Over 56,000, and therefore in excess of the official capacity at the time, April 1960, and I believe the 4th biggest official attendance ever. It was our last home game of the season and we needed to beat or at least draw with Spurs to keep Burnley at bay as we went for our third league championship in a row. Spurs had already beaten us 5-1 in the reverse fixture and had more or less assembled the magnificent side which would win the Double the following season. They had some awesome players: Danny Blanchflower, Dave Mackay, Bobby Smith, Cliff Jones. I was in the South Bank and it was absolutely rammed. I'll never forget the start of the game. After 2 minutes, Dave Mackay lifted a beautiful hanging cross under the Wolves bar right in front of me. The Wolves defence hesitated, and Bobby Smith launched himself forward to make a diving header which beat Finlayson, hit one post, ricocheted across the goal to hit the other post and bounce in. Wolves were not discomforted. They hit back and after sustained pressure equalised through Peter Broadbent. 1-1 at HT. But in the second half Cliff Jones, their brilliant Welsh left winger (shades of Gareth Bale!) ran us tagged, scoring one and making another, for a 1-3 defeat. We won our final game 5-1 at Chelsea, but Burnley had stolen a march on us and won the League by winning 2-1 at Maine Road in the final game of the season. We had some consolation by winning the Cup the following week, but we missed the Cup and League Double and the league championship Treble by one point. Disappointed wasn't the word. 11 years old and devastated. But at least I passed the 11+! Since then I have seen us beat Spurs, but not very often, and it is always sweet. Doesn't make up for April 23 1960, though....

Lawndog

Reaction score
Usually great entertainment, games against Spurs.......been several 3-2 wins/losses, a 3-3 thriller, a 6-1 mauling.....within my wolves-supporting time

The one game which stands out for me took place in early April 79......just a few days after the bitter disappointment of defeat to Arsenal in the cup semi.....

The Spurs squad included Ricky Villa, Ardiles, Hoddle.....all bent on entertaining.....as I recall they took an early lead with JR equalising before HT. 2nd half ebbed n flowed before they hit us for 2-1 (I think Chris Jones scored both their goals?).....with time running out Steve Daley scored a superb equaliser with King Kenny hitting a winner with 30 seconds left!......after the cup defeat we all needed a lift!

One other memory of this game.......before kick off the wolves choir started singing anti-arsenal songs, with the spurs fans applauding and then joining in and getting similar applause from wolves fans.....a rare moment of fan unity!.....then, after a period of silence, the wolves fans starting singing anti-****ney chants!!.....brilliantly amusing!!

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I noticed that in the season 1979/80 when Wolves won the League Cup for some reason we did not play Spurs until April and then both games took place ! Wolves lost 1-2 at Molineux on April 5th with a goal from King John. Then later that month on a Wednesday night ,this leads me to think the away match was rearranged from earlier in the season being a midweek game, as I seem to be remember the winter of 79/80 was a bad one. ( not for a 14 year old kid as we had several days home due to snow and the school boiler breaking down ! ) It was played on April 22nd with Norman Bell and Kenny Hibbitt scoring for Wolves.

I see also in the season we lost in the replay that Wolves actually took 4 points of Spurs that helped keep us up as what a tense finish there was down at the bottom in the 1980/81 season, Sky would have had a meltdown with the hype they could have generated as Palace were bottom on 19 ( clearly they were not going to be the team of the eighties then ! ) then it got really tight as Leicester had 32, Norwich 33 so they were relegated then incredibly Brighton, Wolves and Sunderland had 35 with Coventry ( those of us who were around at the time just accepted the Sky Blues and Birmingham City would turn in their usual end of season miracle and survive ) and Everton on 36 so to say it was congested is an understatement ! Wolves drew 0-0 with Everton at Molineux on the last day of the season a result that suited both. Wolves drew 2-2 with Spurs at " The Lane " on November 8th 1980 with Hugh Atkinson and John Richards scoring. Then on April 30th 1981 just 15 days after the crushing blow of losing the replay Andy Gray grabbed the only goal at Molineux.

In the season Wolves went down ( which one Norm I hear you shout ! ) in 1981/82 I had forgotten that Wolves suffered a narrow loss at home to Spurs on February 8th ...................................................... Wolves 1 Tottenham 6 :eek::eek:

As a Wolves fan of some 48 years like many of my fellow fans I growl that so and so always scores against us but we had two players who had excellent scoring records v Spurs as John Richards managed 7 goals and Kenny Hibbitt scored 5 times. Derek Parkin who was not exactly Matt Doherty when it came to scoring from full back did score one of his 6 career goals in over 500 appearances in a 3-2 away defeat in the 74/75 season. Geoff Palmer also had a goal that was not a penalty in 3-1 away win in the 73/74 season with Barry Powell who scored 2 of his 8 Wolves career goals v Tottenham grabbing one and Kenny Hibbitt the other.

Wolves actually had a better record against Spurs in the seventies and early eighties than I remembered but I suppose as they won the UEFA Cup Final and knocked us out of the FA Cup and League Cup Semi that tends to be the results that stick in the mind.
If memory serves Wolves beat Spurs 1-0 at WHL in September/ October 1969 and 'Squeak' (PARKIN) scored the goal! I listened to the 2nd half on the BBC World Service in Bahrain!

DEVIZESWOLVES

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The biggest Spurs related disappointment for me was losing in the UEFA Cup Final in 1972.

After beating Juventus and then Ferencvaros in the semi , we were hoping for AC Milan in the final, but no it had to be our bogey side Tottenham bloody Hotspur !!
That first leg at Moilneux could have gone either way with Danny Hegan having a specualtive effort from the half way line which just cleared Jenning's bar (or that's how it appeared to me on a crowded North Bank).
Spurs won the game 2-1 and the return finished 1-1.
I still have the program and the memories, but nearly 50 years on we're still in search of that holy grail.

One day, we will go to Gdansk, Istanbul, Rome or wherever and contest a final, I just hope its in my lifetime.
7B651328-70AA-45F5-87DA-8AB3A555906E.jpegB09A01FC-DE59-42A0-8117-ECDEA7CF6E1A.jpeg
Fortunate enough to have in my collection John McAlle’s match worn UEFA final shirt and a match pennant that was handed to the Juventus captain in the 1/4’s!

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If memory serves Wolves beat Spurs 1-0 at WHL in September/ October 1969 and 'Squeak' (PARKIN) scored the goal! I listened to the 2nd half on the BBC World Service in Bahrain!

According to Tony Matthews " The Essential History of Wolverhampton Wanderers " Wolves beat 1-0 on October 11th 1969 with a Hugh Curran goal. But the book could be wrong !

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One other cup loss to them was in 1996 when we drew them in the 4th round after knocking Blues out in a replay, largely thanks to Brian Law "doing a Luis Suarez" I recall (no teeth involved) in punching the ball off the line to preserve the lead late on and then they missed the resulting penalty.

The cup match at WHL was a freezing cold Saturday 3pm with a dusting of snow on the field. They took the lead within the first 15 minutes, but we equalised before the break when they underhit a backpass and Goodman charged it down as their keeper tried to kick it clear and the ball trundled over the line and we did enough to take the draw.

I think it was directly after this game that Dean Richards suffered the car crash that somewhat ruined his career as he never seemed quite the luxury Rolls Royce of a defender afterwards imo.

The replay was chosen by Sky as a potential upset, but it was a total damp squib as we totally overcommitted in attack from the start and they just counter-attacked us and were 2 up within 8 or 9 minutes. After that, we just flapped around to zero effect.

Enclosed in our constant 2nd division decade, it was one of those shocks to the system of "OK, this is what the gap to the Premier League actually means" with their finishing prowess (which became a weekly occurrence in 2003, even though we had all wanted to believe we would do just fine).

Last edited:

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
View attachment 21252View attachment 21253
Fortunate enough to have in my collection John McAlle’s match worn UEFA final shirt and a match pennant that was handed to the Juventus captain in the 1/4’s!

Crikey DEVIZES, that's impressive !

I'm obviously interested to know how you acquired both, especially the penant which i'm sure would have found its way back to Italy after the game. Don't tell me, you were part of the Juventus coaching staff.

DEVIZESWOLVES

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Crikey DEVIZES, that's impressive !

I'm obviously interested to know how you acquired both, especially the penant which i'm sure would have found its way back to Italy after the game. Don't tell me, you were part of the Juventus coaching staff.
Well the shirt I got from Steve Plant, who had bought it from the auction of Foz’s.
The pennant came from a well known Italian collector who had passed away in 2007, his family sold his collection and this came up in an auction house here in the UK.
I messaged Jim McAlliog who also confirmed it was correct style (you can just make out the same design in the pic from the final) Unfortunately we can’t pinpoint if it was from the home or away leg.
I love finding stuff like this, and researching the history. I’ll post back in here a week Friday, if you think these are cool wait till you see what I pick up next week :eek:;)

C65126D7-904C-4020-8872-CE3C3D332513.jpeg

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
According to Tony Matthews " The Essential History of Wolverhampton Wanderers " Wolves beat 1-0 on October 11th 1969 with a Hugh Curran goal. But the book could be wrong !
Yes, my records also show Curran as the scorer. Perhaps Parkin provided the pass or something, but there is some reason why I have a memory of Parkin for that game, although it is 52 years ago!

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was thinking about players that have played for both clubs and have come up with

Mark Kendall, Steve Sedgley, Andy Sinton, Vinny Samways, Rohan Ricketts, Paul Stewart, Dean Richards, Matt Doherty, Jaime O'Hara,

I am pretty sure Michael Kightly started as Youth team player at Spurs but never actually played.

Looking at the players I have named from what they did at Wolves Mark Kendall, Deano, Matt Doherty and Andy Sinton get various plus marks the others I am afraid to say would be in my recycling or in O'Hara's case the brown waste bin ! :D:D:D

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well the shirt I got from Steve Plant, who had bought it from the auction of Foz’s.
The pennant came from a well known Italian collector who had passed away in 2007, his family sold his collection and this came up in an auction house here in the UK.
I messaged Jim McAlliog who also confirmed it was correct style (you can just make out the same design in the pic from the final) Unfortunately we can’t pinpoint if it was from the home or away leg.
I love finding stuff like this, and researching the history. I’ll post back in here a week Friday, if you think these are cool wait till you see what I pick up next week :eek:;)

View attachment 21256

Fair play to you and great memories that relect a great era for our club.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Peter and Cyril Knowles

I guess there may be a few of us on the Mix who saw Peter Knowles and his brother Cyril play in the same game.

Their first coming together was in that infamous game in March 1965 when Spurs crushed us at their place 7-4 (PK wasn't on the scoresheet).
We were relegated that season to the old Division 2 and didn't meet again until September 67 when back in the top flight we lost 2-1 (Hunt) at WHL.
Both played in that game and again in the last game of that 67/68 season at Molineux with Wolves coming out winners 2-1 with goals from Parkin and Wignall.

Season 68/69 saw the brothers turn out for both games, with Wolves winning 2-0 (Dougan, Wignall) in December at Molineux and drawing 1-1 (Curran) at WHL the following February.

There were no more competitive games together after that as season 69/70 brought about Peter's retirement from the game.
In September 69, Peter played his last game against Nottingham Forest at Molineux. The game ended 3-3 with Curran 2, and Dougan on the scoresheet.

And so ended the short career of one of the most talented and precocious footballers ever to grace the Molineux pitch as he turned his attentions to religion.
Cyril would go on to play for Spurs until 1976 making 402 appearances, but his life was sadly taken early when in 1991 he passed away after losing his battle with cancer. He was just 49.

Back
Top Bottom