Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Parallels with 1973/74 season

Monk

Groupie
Reaction score
With all the doom and gloom coming up on the site thought I might just post something which shows how things can change for the better in football particularly for WWFC.

I read a football magazine called Backpass which a a retro magazine. Being in my 60s it takes me back to the era when I first started watching WWFC and the other teams and their players. Given our current circumstances I find it very cathartic.

In the current edition there is a great article about John Richards and the team that won the league cup in 1974.

Any one of a certain vintage will remember the country was at that time on its knees (miners strike) much like now. People worked a three day week without furlough payments, power cuts every day, petrol shortages. Football was kicking off at 1pm including mid week games as using floodlights was banned.

So what's my point - there is a paragraph (paraphrased) which reads about the Wolves that season which will surely resonate with us all and mean that all hope is not lost.

"This was nothing more than a middling season after their highly impressive finishes in the previous three seasons. For substantial stretches it looked a lot stickier. After taking full points from their opening 2 games Wolves won only 1 of their next 14 matches plunging them into the relegation zone"

We eventually finished mid table won a trophy and had European football the following season. This was the first time I saw Wolves at Wembley a day I will never forget.

Not saying were going to win the league cup or avoid relegation but there is a certain symmetry with that season and this who knows lightning may strike twice.

Last edited:

Lawndog

Reaction score
Reminds me more of 78/79........couldn't score, couldn't defend......3 successive hammering - Man Utd 2-4, Derby 1-4, Villa 0-4 (which was eerily similar to Sunday's game......we managed to galvanise after John Barnwell was appointed in the November and, while it wasn't pretty, we avoided relegation after looking nailed-on...

Monk

Groupie
Reaction score
Lawndog - and spookily (as were near Halloween) I think a trophy came our way soon after again remember which one but I know I was there when Andy Gray scored Wembley shook. Might put a fiver on us to win it again!

BCWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
BC wolf - sadly he only scored 2 think Wayne Clarke got the other - was there that day too
You're probably right, but leave me with my memories LOL!

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
More like 1982. Too many players that were past their sell by date not adequately replaced and financial worries. All just after a League Cup win and things looking good. Then it wasn’t helped by Barnwell’s car crash, this time it’s more like a Shi car crash.

Monk

Groupie
Reaction score
More like 1982. Too many players that were past their sell by date not adequately replaced and financial worries. All just after a League Cup win and things looking good. Then it wasn’t helped by Barnwell’s car crash, this time it’s more like a Shi car crash.
Sadly that was the case - unfortunately Barnwell was never the same after the crash think he would have made a difference if it hadn't happened

GateWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
2012/13 is more reflective of our current season in my humble opinion, although the outcome in the OP would be fantastic

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Reminds me more of 78/79........couldn't score, couldn't defend......3 successive hammering - Man Utd 2-4, Derby 1-4, Villa 0-4 (which was eerily similar to Sunday's game......we managed to galvanise after John Barnwell was appointed in the November and, while it wasn't pretty, we avoided relegation after looking nailed-on...

Imagine if we had the Mix, Twitter and all this other stuff back then and Wolves appointed the manager of then Division 3 Peterborough United ( who went down ! ) and his Assistant Richie Barker was bought out of his Shrewsbury Town contract :fearscream::fearscream::fearscream:

Last edited:

Monk

Groupie
Reaction score
Imagine if we had the Mix, Twitter and all this other stuff back then and then appointed the manager of then Division 3 Peterborough United ( who went down ! ) and his Assistant Richie Barker was bought out of his Shrewsbury Town contract :fearscream::fearscream::fearscream:
The parallels for winning the League Cup are growing - you've all probably guessed I am a glass half full guy

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I remember that game was Manure game was on Match of the Day. The highlight for us Wolves fans was a cracking goal by Steve Daley that made it 4-2.

Monk

Groupie
Reaction score
I remember that game was Manure game was on Match of the Day. The highlight for us Wolves fans was a cracking goal by Steve Daley that made it 4-2.
Didn't utd get a goal where someone was a mile offside and our defence went bonkers - remember Gary Pierce nearly planting one in the lino - where's VA R when needed

Lupus ad Penn

Groupie
Reaction score
At least at the start of 73-74 we hadn’t sent Mike Bailey out on loan to Everton, sold Munro to Forest and let McAlle go on a free. Yes it was a poor first half to the season, but nothing like the shambles that is unfolding at the moment.

Jamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My God, a thread that hasn't degenerated into collective hysteria !

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At least at the start of 73-74 we hadn’t sent Mike Bailey out on loan to Everton, sold Munro to Forest and let McAlle go on a free. Yes it was a poor first half to the season, but nothing like the shambles that is unfolding at the moment.
Plus we did have one or two players that knew where the back of the net was

Back
Top Bottom