Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Palace verdict

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's a massive red flag for me.

This team physically dominated Rennes and Manchested United, they are now back to being the meek little boys that everyone bullies for 15 mins a game to waltz by. Palace did sweet **** all most of the game and scored 3 goals after only scoring 2 so far for the season - this is not an improvement from 3 weeks ago Gary!

There was such a lack of purpose on the ball, it was possession for possession sake - the dawdling and excess touches our back 6 take is painful - seeing Kilman and Dawson fluff about with the ball on halfway with Palace having all 11 behind the ball - a complete waste of time.

Honestly, it's time to resort to Nuno tactics, back 5 with rapid counter-attacks......it's all we can get consistently right and will end up being more entertaining as Neto, Cunha and Bellegarde are good dribblers and the bonus is we'll concede far less goals.
I’d have thought GON would have watched the Utd game and noted how effective the team was including Cunha running from a deeper position. But it seems Gaz has his system of players being positionally correct and is determined to play players into positions that don’t necessarily bring the best out of them.

Last edited:

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Alright let’s sack him tomorrow morning.

Who do we go out and get? Enlighten me.
As it happens l really hope that GON can turn things around in the two week break.

However, if "who else can we get" is his only selling point (oh, and saving Shi's ****ing worthless "face") then we are deep in the ****.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What kind of fanbase wants the manager out after 3 ****ing weeks?

Beyond embarrassing.
See my post about appointing my cat. He was a ridiculous appointment 90% of the people here didn't want (at all) and it's going as expected.

I want to have 3-4 more games to be fair but if he was fired it wouldn't bother me at all

If wolves can't replace a manager who has almost no experience other than being fired, well that's on wolves. Just about anyone would be better.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me I thought the difference today was the fact that Mateta was bought on & linked with Edouard, & we had Silva ! Need to start with Sasa & Cunha next time
Sasa is still not fully match fit and needs time. Which leaves us with Silva and Cunha. Start Cunha as the 10 and Fabio in the 9 spot. Or Cunha as a false 9.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Alright let’s sack him tomorrow morning.

Who do we go out and get? Enlighten me.

Oh I don’t know. Maybe let’s ask the DoF who appointed him as it’s his job.

I want GON to succeed, I genuinely do. But more than that, I want Hobbs to succeed, since his role is even more critical to the club in the long term. So if GON doesn’t work out, I want to see Hobbs show his ruthless side, sack him, and have a better replacement lined up to step straight in

The House of Wolves

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

I want GON to succeed, I genuinely do. But more than that, I want Hobbs to succeed, since his role is even more critical to the club in the long term. So if GON doesn’t work out, I want to see Hobbs show his ruthless side, sack him, and have a better replacement lined up to step straight in

I genuinely can’t believe this is even up for discussion after 4 ****ing games.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

If Hobbs was to stubbornly stand by his man even after it became apparent that the appointment was flawed he might well die with him too...

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It’s always up for discussion, at every club. What is foolish is pretending it’s not in my opinion.

You think Man Utd are not starting to question if Ten Hag is the bright new dawn they thought he was last season? How long will Poch last if Chelsea continue to under perform given the billion spent? How about Howe at Newcastle after a run of defeats? Hell my wife, a Boro fan, is basically willing to give Carrick no more than 3 games to turn it around before she wants him sacked, and she’s hardly alone amongst Boro fans.

As I said, I want GON to succeed, as I do all Wolves coaches, but the early signs are not positive. Surely you’d have to acknowledge that?

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Head meet sand. It was up for discussion the moment a woefully unqualified manager with no coaching team got the job. There's absolutely no turncoating here. I can completely understand those who want him out because he should never have been there.

He needs to be given liverpool, luton, man city, and 1-2 other games though. I think he's been utter rubbish so far but it's not an easy set of fixtures and wasnt an easy situ.

Him blaming the previous management multiple times now is a complete clown show and speaks volumes about his character imho.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Head meet sand. It was up for discussion the moment a woefully unqualified manager with no coaching team got the job. There's absolutely no turncoating here. I can completely understand those who want him out because he should never have been there.

He needs to be given liverpool, luton, man city, and 1-2 other games though. I think he's been utter rubbish so far but it's not an easy set of fixtures and wasnt an easy situ.

Him blaming the previous management multiple times now is a complete clown show and speaks volumes about his character imho.
Re your last para at some point JL will get annoyed enough to bother swatting the irritating gnat that is GON.....

The House of Wolves

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It’s always up for discussion, at every club. What is foolish is pretending it’s not in my opinion.

You think Man Utd are not starting to question if Ten Hag is the bright new dawn they thought he was last season? How long will Poch last if Chelsea continue to under perform given the billion spent? How about Howe at Newcastle after a run of defeats? Hell my wife, a Boro fan, is basically willing to give Carrick no more than 3 games to turn it around before she wants him sacked, and she’s hardly alone amongst Boro fans.

As I said, I want GON to succeed, as I do all Wolves coaches, but the early signs are not positive. Surely you’d have to acknowledge that?

We’ve played 4 games.

Man United we put in statistically one of the best ever away performances at Old Trafford and should’ve come away with a point if not for the lack of VAR checks/typical Man United corruption.

Brighton, alright we weren’t great but I think they’ll finish top 6, maybe even top 4 with a bit of luck.

Everton, we won away, performance wasn’t perfect but we got the 3 points.

And Palace today, we weren’t quite good enough to get anything from the game but it was hardly a disaster performance, we beat Palace on most of the stats.

I really can’t understand why the fans are talking like we’re getting smacked 6-0 every week. Which we did under the Messiah Stropetegui.

Last edited:

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We’ve played 4 games.

Man United we put in statistically one of the best ever away performances at Old Trafford and should’ve come away with a point if not for the lack of VAR checks/typical Man United corruption.

Brighton, alright we weren’t great but I think they’ll finish top 6, maybe even top 4 with a bit of luck.

And Palace today, we weren’t quite good enough to get anything from the game but it was hardly a disaster performance, we beat Palace on most of the stats.

I really can’t understand why the fans are talking like we’re getting smacked 6-0 every week. Which we did under the Messiah Stropetegui.
There are none so blind.... huh....

You are entitled to your view but l suspect that you are in a small and fast decreasing minority...

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We played some decent stuff, but at the same time we had a lot of players not on their game, down to tactics i believe. Fabio very ineffective, he isnt a target man/focal point type of striker and it seems thats how he was being asked to play. We need to just get him back to coming off the bench if we are going to play him like that because he offers nothing in the role he is in now.

Gomes at the moment just looks so out of his depth compared to last season. He's just sitting, not really offering much and his passing is very sloppy. His stupid foul led to their second goal. Somethings got to change because Lemina cant win the battle by himself.

Kilman and Dawson both look so ponderous. No aggression, no leadership and both very passive. Fullbacks werent much better either.

Cunha had a few bright moments but didnt play great, but again, he's not being put into positions to do what he is good at.

Sa still gives me worries but he did make a couple of good saves.

Hwangs goal masks how poor he is. Offers very little.

Sarabia is another who offers nothing in a team that doesnt have the ball. He's fine at keeping the shape and playing with discipline, but he's not going to turn a game when we are on the back foot.

Only bright spots for me were Neto and Lemina.

The manager, well, got his tactics wrong, isnt getting the best out of our team. He's been given a tough job, but he isnt helping himself either.

nomadwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Can see progress in the way we play....
Some results/defending apart, been better team in 3 of 5 games played...stats would say fairly even in other 2.
Level on points with Newcastle, 1 point behind Chelsea, 3 behind Manure, 4 points off Europe...

Now got 2 weeks of GON training, with 4 new players, Sasa getting fitter for a starting role, Fraser getting older (to be our Ferguson?)...

Wait until 10 games in, until anyone has any idea of what season might behold.

PS - 102 points and 2 cups to still play for.

Last edited:

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As it happens l really hope that GON can turn things around in the two week break.

However, if "who else can we get" is his only selling point (oh, and saving Shi's ****ing worthless "face") then we are deep in the ****.
Well it is

How haven’t people Realised this?

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can't understand the reason he's stepping out constantly like he is - If he's doing it from instruction, then god help us

Second goal vs Brighton, he steps out on his opposite side to man mark Enciso, then is scrambling back for the goal nowhere to be seen as he doesn't have the pace to recover:
View attachment 37021
View attachment 37022

Similar situation for the 4th, steps out and across for some reason & then is scrambling back for the goal where March gets an easy tap in
View attachment 37023
View attachment 37024

Again, Dawson isn't the ONLY one at fault, but I just don't understand why he's constantly doing this when he doesn't have the pace to recover from these situations
He is taking up more aggressive positions to make the ball in behind semedo harder as the RB is lazy and Jogs back not pressuring the crosser. Yesterday was a cross for a goal, almost identical to the fulham lad who shot instead of crossing.

Yet again, a ball behind semedo has led to a goal, it is the main play against us to get a goal/great chance….

The cb’s are playing badly because they are having to make big decisions that if wrong will hurt them because both full backs cannot defend for toffee most of the time.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
We’ve played 4 games.

This is where I’m at. I was disappointed with the result yesterday because I thought it was a game we were capable of getting something from. Defending like that though you’ll struggle to get anything from any game at this level.

We’re 4 games into the season, there’s been things that we obviously need to work on and improve, but some positives too. I’d imagine most clubs are exactly the same. Early days.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d have thought GON would have watched the Utd game and noted how effective the team was including Cunha running from a deeper position. But it seems Gaz has his system of players being positionally correct and is determined to play players into positions that don’t necessarily bring the best out of them.
He isn’t good enough in terms of football iq or coaching skill to do that.

He was a basic jobber of a player in the championship for the majority of his career playing under very limited managers and coaches.

This is why he said effectively that the players move too much and are too creative in some ways. When really they were playing to a set structure and plan that allowed players to chose their run when the ball was in certain areas at pace to stop it being easy to get back into a structured defensive shape.

The JL counter, was set up to create “organised chaos” meaning we had players in space and isolated defenders to pick off and then cause to be out of the game. At the top level, speed kills and JL was setting up for a pacey counter that allowed freedom of movement in certain areas of the field.

GO is frankly too thick to be able to wrap his head around a more complex counter attacking play style.

Premier Quality

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
He isn’t good enough in terms of football iq or coaching skill to do that.

He was a basic jobber of a player in the championship for the majority of his career playing under very limited managers and coaches.

This is why he said effectively that the players move too much and are too creative in some ways. When really they were playing to a set structure and plan that allowed players to chose their run when the ball was in certain areas at pace to stop it being easy to get back into a structured defensive shape.

The JL counter, was set up to create “organised chaos” meaning we had players in space and isolated defenders to pick off and then cause to be out of the game. At the top level, speed kills and JL was setting up for a pacey counter that allowed freedom of movement in certain areas of the field.

GO is frankly too thick to be able to wrap his head around a more complex counter attacking play style.
That’s not true, we’ve seen the coaching reports that he’s an outstanding coach.

I know you don’t like him, and theres a lot to criticise, but that’s not one of them.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That’s not true, we’ve seen the coaching reports that he’s an outstanding coach.

I know you don’t like him, and theres a lot to criticise, but that’s not one of them.
Outstanding coach…. Hahahahahaha what a load of *******s……

What coaching reports? I haven’t seen anyone say he is a good coach other than ex-players in the media, who tend to stand by ex players and hipsters on YouTube who want the clicks.

Bournemouth fans don’t say he is a good coach who is seen as outstanding. The statement of the Bournemouth owner, said he wasn’t good enough….. so where are the people who dealt with him weekly or paid to watch their football each week saying that he is a good coach or even an outstanding one.

I speak to mates and ex colleagues and mates who actually work at prem and championship clubs, not one is confident about our survival with him charge and cannot understand who he got the job at wolves. Many of these guys had to watch match tape of Bournemouth to help the coaches do the “opponent report” they said things like; no/limited structure or organisation in attack or defence, slow to react or see dangers and make the needed changes, rely on blocks and keepers saves to then hope for one opportunity to “Nick one”

There was more….. but cannot be ***** to go through all the whattsapps, but he and his Bournemouth team was seen as the most “basic” of all the teams last season to prepare for.

They all think he is too inexperienced and lacking in the key areas needed to be successful in the prem as he hasn’t had long enough to learn them, but

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
**** performance, **** start to the season and a **** result, but things could always be worse;

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Well I'm buggered if I've seen anything to say he's an outstanding coach. Someone post a link, quickly.

Sadly @wolfslair's comment that O'Neil is simply too thick looks far more accurate. In my view neither O'Neil nor Mick Beale would look out of place selling fruit and veg on the local market

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can see progress in the way we play....
Some results/defending apart, been better team in 3 of 5 games played...stats would say fairly even in other 2.
Level on points with Newcastle, 1 point behind Chelsea, 3 behind Manure, 4 points off Europe...

Now got 2 weeks of GON training, with 4 new players, Sasa getting fitter for a starting role, Fraser getting older (to be our Ferguson?)...

Wait until 10 games in, until anyone has any idea of what season might behold.

PS - 102 points and 2 cups to still play for.
I have heard of glass half full, but you are eight pints in a half pint glass. "4 points off Europe" FFS! 3 points off rock bottom would be a more relevant statistic if you've actually been watching us.

DJLWolf

Reaction score
Didn't he bring on Hwang and Sasa, or would other subs maybe have scored 4?

So, do you think it was a good idea to bring traore on for a striker when we had just equalised and were in the ascendency?When we had Sasa, a striker in form who needs minutes sat on the bench?We already had two defensive 'break the ball up' kind of midfielders on the pitch - you don't need another one who isn't comfortable with possession - that's the last thing you should do.

We shouldn't be naive - at this level of the game, substitutions and tactics at the business end of games often dictates the results.

Make no mistake, O'Neil handed back the ascendency to Palace yesterday and ultimately told them he was here for a point and at that point they went for the throat.

It was a very negative substitution and it cost us the game.

And that's not said with hindsight either, I was gobsmacked at the time and so were loads of wolves fans.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We didn´t deserve anything yesterday and we got nothing.
As many others have said..it was a rate of 1 from our manager.
Cunha needs to play behind Silva..everyone seems to know it except GON.
Sarabia should not be playing.Full stop..and especially not from a right wing position.
Sarabia isn´t up to par to begin with and on top of this sticking him in a position he isn´t suited for just makes it even worse.

We also isn´t coping defencewise.
It has to be one of the most stupid decisison ever not to sell Kilman to Napoli for 30 Mill.
He isn´t worth half of that and he needs constant babysitting.
Awful performance again from Max...and I don´t see any other choice than going back to three at the back.
Unless Daws plays out of his skin,the back four will kill us.
Semedo hasn´t been our worst performer this season thus far.I´d still bench him and put Doc into the team in a 3-5-1-1 system.
There is no denying that attackwise Doc offers things that Semedo just isn´t..and with three at the back I think we will be able to cope defencewise better even with Doc from first whistle.
We are easily one of the worst six teams in the league..and we will have to grind real hard this season.
We do that best with three at the back.We cannot go on conceding like we have first four matches this season.
Conceding too many goals takes you down.It will get us relegation if not adressed.
On top of this,I do not understand why RAN is playing.Bueno brings more to the table for sure

Sa
Daws-Kilman-Bueno/Toti
Doherty-Gomes-Doyle-Lemina-Bueno
Cunha
Sasa/Hwang

This could be the settled side that will enable us to avoid relegation..but it won´t be easy.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Methinks it is a classic case for some of "don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you had 'til it's gone".....
The games without him and pre season were good by and large. But I guess it’s looking like a case of missing the class in the long term.

Don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t happy he left but I thought our style would change as a result and would allow an all action attacking approach.

MattH

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
He's experienced and didn't do this last year. It has to be tactical. Struggled preseason pushing up too.
It's lunacy to ask him to do this. If we're going to play that way we need to wait until we have his replacement, eg S Bueno, ready to start.

Back
Top Bottom