Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Outside the box!

DawleyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
An interesting fact(?) from the Guardian:

Matt Jarvis' goal last week was the first one all season that Wolves have scored from outside the box

And it seems to me that many teams score "wonder goals" against us that scream in from 30 years (maybe yards!) - time for shooting practice for Wolves midfielders perhaps?

Last edited by a moderator:

Japan Wulf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

And it seems to me that many teams score "wonder goals" against us that scream in from 30 years

Now that's what I call shooting from distance ;).

D

Dan dingle

I take its only prem league matches , adlene against millwall comes too mind

J

johnybig32

Some people will use that to justify the fact they should be in our first team and not out on loan.

W

Wolfy1994

That's not what I'm saying haha, just the only one I remember

Reaction score
That's poor. As shown by Jarvis' goal there's always a chance a shot will get a little deflection and fool the keeper - in fact when you think how many goals we seem to concede from 20-25 yards out in front of the box it's farcical that we don't recognise it as a threat. O'Hara and Fletcher in particular are good strikers of the ball, they should be able to get them on target with power consistently.

el gringo

Reaction score

Matt Jarvis' goal last week was the first one all season that Wolves have scored from outside the box

And it seems to me that many teams score "wonder goals" against us that scream in from 30 years (maybe yards!) - time for shooting practice for Wolves midfielders perhaps?[/QUOTE]

or some distance heading practice for Fletcher, maybe

WV10Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We're still the only club in the league to not score inside the first 15 minutes of a game this season.

Phitsanulok (Poole) Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The focus under MM was to get the ball out to the wings and get crosses in. Accordingly we have the highest ratio of crosses in I believe. There was never a tendency to work the ball through the middle. Jarvis got lots of crosses in and as such goals are likely to come from around the six yard box. A more expansive approach would lead to more shooting opportunities in front of the goal.

Its strange also how we have conceded many goals from poor headed clearances to the edge or just outside the penalty area but have never scored any similar at the other end. Another statistic is that Hennessey has the highest stop ratio in the league hence the most shots to face. All this points to the 'soft centre' that was the result of Mick's preferred 4-4-2 with two wingers and two out and out strikers.

It will be intersting to see how TeeCee addresses this.

S

Shergar

From the hoofball. I should imagine Hennessey is also the keeper with the most shots.

kennyB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have also conceded the least number of headed shots this season and scored the
3rd highest percentage of headed goals. Thanks Fletch!

UEAwolf

Reaction score
The focus under MM was to get the ball out to the wings and get crosses in. Accordingly we have the highest ratio of crosses in I believe. There was never a tendency to work the ball through the middle. Jarvis got lots of crosses in and as such goals are likely to come from around the six yard box. A more expansive approach would lead to more shooting opportunities in front of the goal.

Its strange also how we have conceded many goals from poor headed clearances to the edge or just outside the penalty area but have never scored any similar at the other end. Another statistic is that Hennessey has the highest stop ratio in the league hence the most shots to face. All this points to the 'soft centre' that was the result of Mick's preferred 4-4-2 with two wingers and two out and out strikers.

It will be intersting to see how TeeCee addresses this.

Agreed. Strange too considering that we have O'Hara and Milijas - two players capable of playing for better teams.

M

Metro Wolf 2007

I remember reading somewhere a suggestion that Mick had told Adlene G not to shoot outside the box. Apparently we preferred to walk the ball into the net ! :stupido3:

Back
Top Bottom