Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Our 'best 11 bargains' under the Fosun ownership?

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We occasionally see criticism of Fosun's transfer policy on here. This is not a defence of Fosun as owners, nor of their transfer policy in general, but I thought it might be interesting to try to pick a "best bargains" XI of players who we gained after July 2016 (when Fosun became owners) and who are still with us.

Not scientific, and the figures that follow I am not claiming as being 'gospel'. They are based on Transfermkt records and valuations - OK, tin hat now firmly on, there are some right doozies in these figures (check out Mighty Max's valuation for a kickoff!) - but none of us really knows exactly how much we paid, and current market valuations, like your investments people, can go down as well as up. With reference to the valuations, no doubt some Mixers will explode and others will implode, but here we go anyway.

It's a 3 5 2 team, one of our favoured formations, and the figures shown by each player are supposedly - in order -

initial cost (£m) - number of seasons with us - current market value (£m)

Jose Sa - £7.2 - 1 season - £12.6

Willy Boly - £10.8 - 5 - £7.2
Romain Saiss - £3.6 - 6 - £8.1
Max Kilman - free(ish) - 4 - £14.4

Jonny - £18.9 - 3.5 - £13.5
Donk - £13.77 - 4 - £27
Mouts - £5.04 - 4 - £2.25
Ruben - £16.11 - 5 - £36
RAN - £10 - 1 - £13.5

Raul - £36.9 - 4 - £19.8
Pedro Neto - £16.11 - 3 - £31.5

That's a decent team by any stretch of the imagination. I could have included Pod (£17.64 - 2.5 - £19.8) and Marcal (£1.8 - 1 - £1.35), but hey ho, someone had to give.

If we look at the summative transfer costs and values, the 11 players listed cost £157.87m - that's slightly less than two Slabheads - and are currently worth £207m. Also, a total of 38.5 seasons (reduced to, say, about 34 given the long term injuries to Big Willy, Raul, Pedro and Jonny) out of the 11.

Yes, we know Fabio cost a fortune and Cutrone half a fortune, and we certainly will lose out on the latter (hopefully not the former), but all in all, we've assembled a really good squad.

(WARNING. Taking the above valuations too seriously can damage your health)

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A quick listing of all our first team permanent transfers since Fosun and there's not a lot they get wrong for signings that fall into the £3m-£16m price bracket.

A lot of the 'Meh' players that are still with us could still go either way, Fabio included.

Fosun Signings.jpg

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A quick listing of all our first team permanent transfers since Fosun and there's not a lot they get wrong for signings that fall into the £3m-£16m price bracket.

A lot of the 'Meh' players that are still with us could still go either way, Fabio included.

View attachment 27506
Think what that shows without doubt, is when we spend a sizable amount, we spend it well, and we can afford the cheaper ones to fail if one or two of them pay off

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pedro Goncalves and Rafa Mir not on the list but both have earned us some money without hardly ever playing for us

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pedro Goncalves and Rafa Mir not on the list but both have earned us some money without hardly ever playing for us

Yeah, I think it was said at the time we signed them, they were U23 signings, so I left them off the list.

Undoubtedly ‘hits’ given the amount of profit, even if it could have been more!

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

View attachment 27506
Afobe was a hit, some important goals on loan then we flipped him for a profit.

tamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd argue that Marcal has been a hit. When you look at the other players in the price range he falls into and the cover he has provided in that position for two seasons. He has been a good signing.

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

View attachment 27506

How can Afobe be a meh? We profited from him regardless?

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
once they found their feet the recruitment has generally been excellent. i think describing Chiquinho as "meh" is unfair. the guy is 18. lets see in 2-3 years time.

Like I say, the ones that are still with us could go either way, but up until now, despite a few promising cameos, the jury is still very much out.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How can Afobe be a meh? We profited from him regardless?

Only on the list because we turned a quick profit from him. Otherwise he wouldn’t have signed permanently.

Yeah, he’s maybe edging towards a hit purely down to making that quick profit.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

View attachment 27506
Bonatini missing, good loan but 5 million in summer 18 was a miss.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure at 16 million we can class Podence as a hit just yet. He has been constantly in and out of the side through injury and form.

Also, the list posted above just highlights how poor our work has been lately, most of the hits were from the first two or three years.

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I like the hit or miss table, but there is an argument for saying we are where we are because some of those hits are well "Stella" or "super" hits, rather than just old plain hits.

I would say;

Neves
Jiminez
Moutinho
Jota

Have lifted us to heights we may never have seen.

I know it's a team game and people like Coady, Ruddy, and even Doc have played a massive part, but the four I have singled out will probably have made the biggest impact when we look back.

I know we all get suckered in by recency bias but in my 43 years of going down the Mol I think Neves and Bully are the two players who have made the most impact on the club.

Neves has been an absolute joy to watch, his passing and goals will live long in the memory, and the £50m or so we get for him might fund the next super star.

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Vinagre again, gone down as a meh, made us how many millions profit?

Half of these meh deals made us profit which instantly makes them hits in my eyes.

It is a business at the end of the day and we should accept that.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I like the hit or miss table, but there is an argument for saying we are where we are because some of those hits are well "Stella" or "super" hits, rather than just old plain hits.

I would say;

Neves
Jiminez
Moutinho
Jota

Have lifted us to heights we may never have seen.

I know it's a team game and people like Coady, Ruddy, and even Doc have played a massive part, but the four I have singled out will probably have made the biggest impact when we look back.

I know we all get suckered in by recency bias but in my 43 years of going down the Mol I think Neves and Bully are the two players who have made the most impact on the club.

Neves has been an absolute joy to watch, his passing and goals will live long in the memory, and the £50m or so we get for him might fund the next super star.

I agree with the four players you have mentioned, but pre COVID I would have added Boly to that list. In my time watching Wolves, Frank Munro is the best centre half I have seen play for us, but those first couple of seasons back in the top flight, I thought Boly was superb, and at the time I paid him the ultimate compliment of comparing him to big Frank.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We occasionally see criticism of Fosun's transfer policy on here. This is not a defence of Fosun as owners, nor of their transfer policy in general, but I thought it might be interesting to try to pick a "best bargains" XI of players who we gained after July 2016 (when Fosun became owners) and who are still with us.

Not scientific, and the figures that follow I am not claiming as being 'gospel'. They are based on Transfermkt records and valuations - OK, tin hat now firmly on, there are some right doozies in these figures (check out Mighty Max's valuation for a kickoff!) - but none of us really knows exactly how much we paid, and current market valuations, like your investments people, can go down as well as up. With reference to the valuations, no doubt some Mixers will explode and others will implode, but here we go anyway.

It's a 3 5 2 team, one of our favoured formations, and the figures shown by each player are supposedly - in order -

initial cost (£m) - number of seasons with us - current market value (£m)

Jose Sa - £7.2 - 1 season - £12.6

Willy Boly - £10.8 - 5 - £7.2
Romain Saiss - £3.6 - 6 - £8.1
Max Kilman - free(ish) - 4 - £14.4

Jonny - £18.9 - 3.5 - £13.5
Donk - £13.77 - 4 - £27
Mouts - £5.04 - 4 - £2.25
Ruben - £16.11 - 5 - £36
RAN - £10 - 1 - £13.5

Raul - £36.9 - 4 - £19.8
Pedro Neto - £16.11 - 3 - £31.5

That's a decent team by any stretch of the imagination. I could have included Pod (£17.64 - 2.5 - £19.8) and Marcal (£1.8 - 1 - £1.35), but hey ho, someone had to give.

If we look at the summative transfer costs and values, the 11 players listed cost £157.87m - that's slightly less than two Slabheads - and are currently worth £207m. Also, a total of 38.5 seasons (reduced to, say, about 34 given the long term injuries to Big Willy, Raul, Pedro and Jonny) out of the 11.

Yes, we know Fabio cost a fortune and Cutrone half a fortune, and we certainly will lose out on the latter (hopefully not the former), but all in all, we've assembled a really good squad.

(WARNING. Taking the above valuations too seriously can damage your health)
That makes good reading.

I just can’t get my head around the current market value, or other values, being put on Ruben.

£36million is nothing but a joke. We should be looking at £90million minimum. Not that I want him to go anyway as he is worth more to us in staying than any transfer fee.

Just compare him to Pogba who cost Yanited £80million and is still being valued around £60million. He’s not fit to lace Rubens boots in terms of consistency, attitude, ability or professionalism.

Maybe I should have posted this on the Ruben Neves thread instead but easier to do it here.

As your last paragraph says Supadave ‘Taking the above valuations too seriously can damage your health’. I’ve just had to take a couple of tablets!

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Barry Douglas at £1m and Ryan Bennett for nothing were cracking signings at the time. But a combined 20 million for the Portuguese midfield maestros is just vile :) Shame we haven't done anything close (Sa excepted) the last few windows.

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That makes good reading.

I just can’t get my head around the current market value, or other values, being put on Ruben.

£36million is nothing but a joke. We should be looking at £90million minimum. Not that I want him to go anyway as he is worth more to us in staying than any transfer fee.

Just compare him to Pogba who cost Yanited £80million and is still being valued around £60million. He’s not fit to lace Rubens boots in terms of consistency, attitude, ability or professionalism.

Maybe I should have posted this on the Ruben Neves thread instead but easier to do it here.

As your last paragraph says Supadave ‘Taking the above valuations too seriously can damage your health’. I’ve just had to take a couple of tablets!
36 million lol. I'd want 70 mill at worst.

Back
Top Bottom