Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Our Academy

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree that Waveney is talking out of his rear.

We did miss out on both Bellingham's though. They were literally on our doorstep and we dropped a massive ******* not getting both.
Contradicting yourself there old boy

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m aware.

I’m also aware of how much we have additionally invested into our scouting network since Fosun come in. To suggest our scout are sitting on a beach because we haven’t picked up a Bellingham, Foden & Saka like Waveney said is just ludicrous. Especially as two of them are genuine world class players.
Oh...so wolves can't scout youngsters who may become world class then ?? We are only allowed to scout donkeys are we?? You obviously don't think wolves are a very big or attractive club then

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Waveney was moaning about our scouting. He was clearly scouted and signed (albeit for the first team squad)
Scouting as in finding good young UK talent , like the players I mentioned...not signing established professionals...do you ever read a thread correctly? Pmsl

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree that Waveney is talking out of his rear.

We did miss out on both Bellingham's though. They were literally on our doorstep and we dropped a massive ******* not getting both.
I have a bit of ITK on this which I’ve mentioned before. A very good pal of mine is also very good pals with Mark (their dad). They were both only ever going to Blues, they were first club to show an interest at a very early age and they agreed to privately educate both of them which clinched it. A big commitment to primary school aged kids.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What's that got to do with the scouting system and coming through the academy ?? You must have had a bang on the head
Because you mentioned Bully, Vardy and Mullin. Whose academy did they come from? They all were playing senior mens football before they went professional.

Try and be more clear in future!

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Academies of clubs of our stature, as others have said, seem to be built around producing or acquiring young talent to be sold on. I'm not the most clued up on this whole area of the club, but it is quite sad if that is the ONLY apparent function of it at the moment.

I don’t think it’s the only function, but as the article I linked explained, the FA created an elite development programme some years ago to develop future generations of English footballers. That’s a large part of the reason why we have generations of world class England players now. They distribute millions to clubs like Wolves with Cat 1 academies to fulfil that function. In return, we have the opportunity to develop players, make money, and a few of them may make it into our senior squad. I don’t think it’s sad in the broader context, but I would of course love to see a few of those world class prodigies like Foden come up through our academy and into our first team.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oh...so wolves can't scout youngsters who may become world class then ?? We are only allowed to scout donkeys are we?? You obviously don't think wolves are a very big or attractive club then
In fairness you seem to know as much about youth football as senior football.

Why did Foden go to City as a kid instead of Stockport? Why did Saka leave Watford at 8 to go to Arsenal? Do you think no one else looked at these players??? Even as little kids they’d stand out and would be courted by everyone. They end up in the best set ups! We were absolutely miles away pre Fosun at attracting the best of kids, especially behind our 3 neighbours who have been much better at it. Every one of our age groups is night and day better under Fosun but it still takes time hence why we’ve had kids poached by both Arsenal and Newcastle in the last 3 months. To suggest our scouts aren’t good enough is just plain silly.

WorcesterWanderer

Reaction score
I don’t think it’s the only function, but as the article I linked explained, the FA created an elite development programme some years ago to develop future generations of English footballers. That’s a large part of the reason why we have generations of world class England players now. They distribute millions to clubs like Wolves with Cat 1 academies to fulfil that function. In return, we have the opportunity to develop players, make money, and a few of them may make it into our senior squad. I don’t think it’s sad in the broader context, but I would of course love to see a few of those world class prodigies like Foden come up through our academy and into our first team.
Thanks for the explanation, all very clear and makes sense now. Seems a bit brighter now it's been broken down like that.

Erick1011

First Mexican Wolves fan
Reaction score
Didn't we scout Chirewa & Chiwome who brought to the academy?

We have no idea how these two will pan out yet.
Correct.

Leon Chiwome joined us from AFC Wimbledon in 2022.

Tawanda Chirewa literally just joined us from Ipswich in September. He made a terrific start to his academy career, hence the fast-track.

I suppose Dani Angel might be next if he keeps it up.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have a bit of ITK on this which I’ve mentioned before. A very good pal of mine is also very good pals with Mark (their dad). They were both only ever going to Blues, they were first club to show an interest at a very early age and they agreed to privately educate both of them which clinched it. A big commitment to primary school aged kids.
Mark Bellingham seriously has his head screwed on as a father of these lads. Most parents would have accepted a bigger house and brand new Ferraris. Compare to Fabio Silva’s dad who is far too involved in everything and it’s chalk and cheese.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mark Bellingham seriously has his head screwed on as a father of these lads. Most parents would have accepted a bigger house and brand new Ferraris. Compare to Fabio Silva’s dad who is far too involved in everything and it’s chalk and cheese.
I’ve never met him but only hear good things from my pal who’s been close to him for 20 years. I think having been a footballer who didn’t make it helped really, he made sure there was a Plan B for both kids if their development stalled. They both came out of education with top exam results. Mark is supposedly very hands on in both lads careers and has been behind their moves.

Sheffield Wolf

Reaction score
Oh...our " scouts " , have found plenty of NOT good enoughs from warm countries , like Silva , when was the last time our scouting system found a Sake , a foden , a Bellingham ( who only lived just down the road ) , an Elliott ,a Cole palmer? .. a vardy, even a Paul mullin????
Not since the days of Steve bull...cos they re all on the beach in Portugal etc
You’ve really not thought this one through.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve never met him but only hear good things from my pal who’s been close to him for 20 years. I think having been a footballer who didn’t make it helped really, he made sure there was a Plan B for both kids if their development stalled. They both came out of education with top exam results. Mark is supposedly very hands on in both lads careers and has been behind their moves.
I didn't realise he was very hands on but I guess it depends on the person. So many parents get too involved for the wrong reasons and completely stall their son's careers for short term game. I know nothing about Ravel Morrison, for example, but I would wager had he had somebody responsible and level headed looking after him then his career would have go so differently to how it did.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I didn't realise he was very hands on but I guess it depends on the person. So many parents get too involved for the wrong reasons and completely stall their son's careers for short term game. I know nothing about Ravel Morrison, for example, but I would wager had he had somebody responsible and level headed looking after him then his career would have go so differently to how it did.
Marks actually both lads agent, so very involved! I think personally he’s always picked the right clubs for them at the right time. Going to Dortmund meant being out the spotlight as he grew as a player and much more game time than the offers he had at the time.

Only ever heard good stuff about mark, being a ex copper and having the non league career he had (supposedly the highest goalscorer in none league history) means he’s got his feet on the ground and will know the pitfalls.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Marks actually both lads agent, so very involved! I think personally he’s always picked the right clubs for them at the right time. Going to Dortmund meant being out the spotlight as he grew as a player and much more game time than the offers he had at the time.

Only ever heard good stuff about mark, being a ex copper and having the non league career he had (supposedly the highest goalscorer in none league history) means he’s got his feet on the ground and will know the pitfalls.
Man Utd very publicly courted him for ages and would have ruined him had he gone the very wise decision to move to dortmund.

TheWolfFromWolverhampton

Reaction score
I am not aware of other players, yet the Under 21's games are on twitter, and some times Youtube. I have heard Hodge is good. Yet not sure really.

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Supposedly Man United were trying to sign him on the cheap before he turned 17, story I heard was his dad ensured he went somewhere who were willing to pay the going rate that the club needed at the time to survive and thats why they retired his shirt number and all that because if it weren't for his dad Blues would have been in even worse financial issues

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Supposedly Man United were trying to sign him on the cheap before he turned 17, story I heard was his dad ensured he went somewhere who were willing to pay the going rate that the club needed at the time to survive and thats why they retired his shirt number and all that because if it weren't for his dad Blues would have been in even worse financial issues
They showed a lot of loyalty as a family to blues because as I’d put earlier the club had paid for both Jude and Jobe to be privately educated so there wasn’t ever a chance of them not signing pro terms for them. As you say when Jude did go to Dortmund it saved Blues at the time.

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They showed a lot of loyalty as a family to blues because as I’d put earlier the club had paid for both Jude and Jobe to be privately educated so there wasn’t ever a chance of them not signing pro terms for them. As you say when Jude did go to Dortmund it saved Blues at the time.

It just goes to show why it's so hard to develop top level players, anyone who has exceptional talent is being picked off by the top teams, didn't we lose a couple to Newcastle, Arsenal and Liverpool in the last 2 years?

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It just goes to show why it's so hard to develop top level players, anyone who has exceptional talent is being picked off by the top teams, didn't we lose a couple to Newcastle, Arsenal and Liverpool in the last 2 years?
Unfortunately that’s the risk until they’re old enough to sign pro terms. Until we can address that and the player and representatives (family) can see a clear career path, it’s always the risk. Suppose it’s a back handed compliment as we’re clearly getting out schoolboy recruitment right

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One has to assume the guys that are most ready are the guys that have been playing. For most players it usually takes a few games for players to get used to before you start to see shades of their talent.

Back
Top Bottom