Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

OT: Villa

manc_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not Aston - David Villa going to be unveiled as a £34.2 Million signing for Barcelona on Friday...

A bargain or a waste of money?

Incidentally, this surely leaves the way for Thierry Henry's move to Wolves.... ;)

M

MonkeySpanner

Henry's coming to the NY/NJ Red Bulls this summer for his final pay-off.

stever

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just dont understand how some clubs can afford to blow such a large amount of cash on one player.
It makes no sense in real business terms to spend beyond your means. However football seems to be above the laws of the real world!

S

Sharples

I wouldnt say its above their means considering the size of the club. However,how they make a profit is beyond me as tickets are so cheap over there.

On the signing of Villa, it stinks of goals and will be a good signing. Bargain - no. Waste of money - no.

LG Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nothing at the reported price will ever be a bargain, but he will guarantee them 20-25 league goals and a few in Europe for the next couple of seasons. It's amazing how small their front line attack is as well!

D

Dewsburywolf

Nothing at the reported price will ever be a bargain, but he will guarantee them 20-25 league goals and a few in Europe for the next couple of seasons.

It's amazing how small their front line attack is as well!

And we let Kyle Bennett go :confused: :confused:

S

Sharples

Are you trying to build a case for keeping Bennett based on the fact Barca have some small players...

:D

W

wanderer24

Have you seen Villa's goalscoring record???? People talking about a lot of money for one player, in the current Market it's a bargain.

B

Barracudawolf

I think he's class, can't believe its taken this long for one of the really big clubs to sign him. Also with him being Spainish I would've thought the shirt sales would go a long way to paying for his transfer.

Can't describe any footballer as a bargain at £34.2 million tho

saturday boy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Barcelona and Real Madrid are so important in Spain they are (effectively) not allowed to go bust. They would be bailed out.

D

Danwolf

David Villa is an awesome striker. It's obviously not a bargain but money well spent.

Frankly I'm disgusted that wolves haven't signed him, what a lack of ambition - sack the 3 M's!

stever

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At least he wont be playing against us in the prem via the dirty Russian's money.
Phew!!

Saltyjim

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I reckon Villa is a great signing for Barca, his style will complement the way they play. Since Guardiola dropped Ibrahimovic they have played 3 small quick strikers and they don't come much better than Villa

Deak77

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Quality signing, much better than that utter donkey Ibrahimovic, Mourinho came out of that deal smelling of roses, 46million plus Samuel Eto'o!

Reaction score
Better option than Ibrahimovic - who my United supporting mate is now worried they'll sign. Better suits the ball to feet style of Messi, Iniesta, Xavi et all... kinda like a poor man's Kevin Doyle

cobweb

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just dont understand how some clubs can afford to blow such a large amount of cash on one player.
It makes no sense in real business terms to spend beyond your means. However football seems to be above the laws of the real world!

Unlike businessess in the real world, football clubs (particularly succesful English, Spanish, Italian ones) have a guaranteed, worldwide and loyal customer base who will not shop elsewhere for their entire life. No other business can go to a bank with such a solid guarantor.

Top clubs usually have obscenely rich directors aswell. It wouldn't be a surprise, for example, if part of Barcalona's transfer budget comes directly out of the pocket of a mega rich arabian/russian/african/asian/ supporter who in return, gets to become a part of the Barca family.

leedswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Barcelona and Real Madrid are so important in Spain they are (effectively) not allowed to go bust. They would be bailed out.

Barca were effectively bust a few years ago. If it hadn't been for the stewardship of Joan Laporta I doubt there would have been a shift of power from Madrid.

ICH Barca's money comes from it's membership. The club also generates money from non matchday activities. A few years ago the club and the local authority developed the area around Les Corts with the football club benefiting financially in the long term.

When Laporta signed Ronaldhino he gambled on re-couping that investment (which at that time the club couldn't afford). The gamble payed off because within a couple of days they had recouped the money in replica shirt sales.

Barcelona prides itself on it's Catalan heritage and membership is passed from parent to child so I would be very surprised if some foreign oligarch was fast-tracked into membership.

Next stop for Barca - Cesc Fabregas.

If you look at Barca as compared to Madrid this season, Madrid spent 200m on four (Ronaldo, Kaka. Alonso and Benzema) players in the summer and only 1 of their squad (Casillas) came through the ranks. Barca's first team squad consists the following youth team players

Valdes
Puyol
Xavi
Pique
Iniesta
Pedro
Jeffren
Messi
Boran
Busquets

Last edited by a moderator:

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think ibra will be going anywhere. Barca now have two very different striker options, a scary prospect that europe's top team has become even more tactically flexible.

leedswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think that you are probably right adrian, especially with Henry going to the US.

glasgowwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Villa is probably the best finisher in the world just ahead of Torrez

W

wolvo_boi

Thierry Henry is the best natural finisher in the world, he just gets played out wide and not through the middle so we dont see it anymore as we did week in week out at Arsenal.

Ulver

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thierry Henry is the best natural finisher in the world, he just gets played out wide and not through the middle so we dont see it anymore as we did week in week out at Arsenal.

Rubbish. Villa is a far better finisher than Henry.

Back
Top Bottom