Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Optimism rules ok

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know this won't be popular with some but I want to sound an optimistic note as I look at the table today. No we didn't play great yesterday despite the win and there is still a lot of work to do to get Bruno ball humming. However, when I look at our squad, especially our attacking options, I can see every possibility of us challenging for 6th this season. Especially if Neto returns around Christmas and gets back quickly into the swing of things. Bruno really has a selection headache up front which is great to see. I would still like a proper alternative striker to Jiminez in the squad but otherwise we have so many great options now that Podence is back and Hwang has been added. Silva however, is at least a season away from being able to make a grown up contribution but would he benefit from a Championship loan or be better off in the company of his Portuguese mates? Its hard to say.

Our much maligned defence has in truth, done pretty well. The only concern would be Marcal and I do think it is time Ait-Nouri was given a run. He was excellent in pre- season and he is a star in the making. He needs to be allowed to express himself going forward and learn his defensive duties as he goes along. Sa has done really well and has the kind of passion Rui lacked imv, as well as reliable skills.

Obviously we are weak on midfield options and surely that will be addressed at last in January. Neves has blown hot and cold but mainly has done well. Moutinho has done surprisingly well overall although his corners are still crap and Dendoncker seems to be getting back into form. Yes MGW should have been the other option or a new signing. But hopefully MGW can come back as a more mature alternative in January or next season. I still believe in him.

Lage also seems to be settling in very nicely and if we can get a couple of class additions I am sure he will go for a more expansive philosophy in the second half of the season. We have a good squad. Just need better luck on injuries. Neto, Mosquera and Johnny coming back will be huge. Add the likes of Sanches and Botman or similar plus perhaps a proper centre forward alternative option (should have gone for Odsonne Edouard imv) and I really can see us creeping into a top six position. But we have a tough run before and around Christmas and I guess that will be when the team/squad are really going to be tested in the fire. Even if we crumble then we have reinforcements to look forward to in the New Year, Apart from Man City, Chelsea and Liverpool I think we are a match for anyone on our day.

Only big question mark is the future of Traore. Will he sign a new contract? It seems not sadly as would very much like to keep him. But the club will have to sell him unfortunately if the contract stand off continues. £35m plus and then the question is how wisely can that be re-invested. At least we have good alternatives out wide, especially if Trincao can fulfil his undoubted promise.

To sum up, its looking good if only we get a bit more luck with injuries and the team starts gelling and finding more consistency.

Nivada

Reaction score
We've managed to rise from our bad start and level up our wins and losses, climb back to a neutral goal difference as well, we are in a truly neutral position at the moment, anything could happen from here we could start losing more matches than we win and slump to the crap side of midtable or we could start winning more matches than we lose and rise to European contention.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Are we in the title race again? :D
Seriously, they say winning when you're not at your best is a good sign. Which is a great sign for us.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why don’t you start a thread on are we in a title race? Then if we lose at Leeds we can change it to are we in a relegation battle!

This is the Wolves way. After we scored 3 goals in 15 minutes, you know what happens next? Lose to Leeds and no goals in the next 3 games. Got to pray that Bruno doesn't get Manager of the Month. Kiss of death, that thing.

CodsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know this won't be popular with some but I want to sound an optimistic note as I look at the table today. No we didn't play great yesterday despite the win and there is still a lot of work to do to get Bruno ball humming. However, when I look at our squad, especially our attacking options, I can see every possibility of us challenging for 6th this season. Especially if Neto returns around Christmas and gets back quickly into the swing of things. Bruno really has a selection headache up front which is great to see. I would still like a proper alternative striker to Jiminez in the squad but otherwise we have so many great options now that Podence is back and Hwang has been added. Silva however, is at least a season away from being able to make a grown up contribution but would he benefit from a Championship loan or be better off in the company of his Portuguese mates? Its hard to say.

Our much maligned defence has in truth, done pretty well. The only concern would be Marcal and I do think it is time Ait-Nouri was given a run. He was excellent in pre- season and he is a star in the making. He needs to be allowed to express himself going forward and learn his defensive duties as he goes along. Sa has done really well and has the kind of passion Rui lacked imv, as well as reliable skills.

Obviously we are weak on midfield options and surely that will be addressed at last in January. Neves has blown hot and cold but mainly has done well. Moutinho has done surprisingly well overall although his corners are still crap and Dendoncker seems to be getting back into form. Yes MGW should have been the other option or a new signing. But hopefully MGW can come back as a more mature alternative in January or next season. I still believe in him.

Lage also seems to be settling in very nicely and if we can get a couple of class additions I am sure he will go for a more expansive philosophy in the second half of the season. We have a good squad. Just need better luck on injuries. Neto, Mosquera and Johnny coming back will be huge. Add the likes of Sanches and Botman or similar plus perhaps a proper centre forward alternative option (should have gone for Odsonne Edouard imv) and I really can see us creeping into a top six position. But we have a tough run before and around Christmas and I guess that will be when the team/squad are really going to be tested in the fire. Even if we crumble then we have reinforcements to look forward to in the New Year, Apart from Man City, Chelsea and Liverpool I think we are a match for anyone on our day.

Only big question mark is the future of Traore. Will he sign a new contract? It seems not sadly as would very much like to keep him. But the club will have to sell him unfortunately if the contract stand off continues. £35m plus and then the question is how wisely can that be re-invested. At least we have good alternatives out wide, especially if Trincao can fulfil his undoubted promise.

To sum up, its looking good if only we get a bit more luck with injuries and the team starts gelling and finding more consistency.
I counted six uses of the word ‘if’ in your assessment.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are the most mod table team going, we are in tenth with the same amount of wine as defeats, level goal difference and as many good performances as bad ones, mid table definition Alexa? Wolves

So when we next lose don’t all go despondent and when we win put away the maps of Europe!

John de Wolf's hairdryer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Got to pray that Bruno doesn't get Manager of the Month. Kiss of death, that thing.
IF, and it's a big if, we beat Leeds on Saturday, then we will have a 100% record for October. Although we only play 3 games this month whilst most of our rivals play 4, that puts Bruno in a very strong position for Manager of the Month. As things stand his competition are Tuchel and...Nuno(!), the only other managers with a 100% record this month so far.

Screenshot_20211018-225842.png

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I still believe it all comes down to how many of our attacking players can score. Hwang seems to have made a big impact there.
We need Podence, Traore, Silva and Trincao to join that party.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Premier League form table.
IF, and it's a big if, we beat Leeds on Saturday, then we will have a 100% record for October. Although we only play 3 games this month whilst most of our rivals play 4, that puts Bruno in a very strong position for Manager of the Month. As things stand his competition are Tuchel and...Nuno(!), the only managers with a 100% record this month so far.

View attachment 24557
...and the current form table is looking okay. Not too bad considering we have a manager someone called the "useless Portuguese Rodney Trotter" in the commentary thread on Saturday.

Screenshot_20211018-230604.png

Golden Moth

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I do like an optimism thread.
I reckon our performances deserved 7 points from those first three games (1 against Leicester and 3 each against Untd and Spurs). Add that to what we got since.......... and we're top!

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am very happy after eight games personally. Absolutely mugged in those first three games and played arguably the best footy I have seen from us in my lifetime. If somebody had blanked out the names and made the teams black and white you would have thought we were the best team in the land.

Since, we have dialed it back a little bit and teams have also wised up to a few things but outside of the Brentford game (turns out they are a very good team anyway) we haven't been completely outfoxed by anyone. A far cry from last season where we looked like we were basically just hoping to cling on from minute one.

Still extremely annoyed about the window and hopefully that is rectified in January, at least a little.

But all in all I am giving it a 7/10 so far.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
4 wins out of 5, an astonishing comeback at our local rivals and we've got a reasons to be optimistic thread!

Not a dig at the OP as I know where he's coming from

You'd think this place would have been a joyous place to be for the last couple of days but as usual certain members of the Mix go into overdrive to urinate on other folks' fried potatoes

SheldonWolf

Reaction score
One genuine question:

Why doesn’t Bruno fancy Boly?

In my mind (& it’s only my opinion) Boly was immense first season back in the Prem and in our European season and Saiss and Kilman were way behind. I’m not saying Saiss and Kilman don’t deserve their place, they absolutely do, but surely Boly at his best is better……

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
One genuine question:

In my mind (& it’s only my opinion) Boly was immense first season back in the Prem and in our European season and Saiss and Kilman were way behind. I’m not saying Saiss and Kilman don’t deserve their place, they absolutely do, but surely Boly at his best is better……
Think you’ve answered it, Bruno won’t bring Boly in unless he feels Kilman or Saiss need dropping, which right now they don’t. Kilman would get my vote as player of the year so far.

arctic rime

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Sums up my thoughts too

Reaction score
We have to buy some players in January to get me optimistic about this season unfortunately. I may be wrong but I think saiss, mouts, and bolly contracts run out at the end of the season and we already need to add 3 quality players to the squad to challenge the top end of the table in all honesty. So if we do nothing in January and those out of contract players go then we need 6 senior players in the summer.

but in the spirit of the thread I will add that the heart and determination shown after the Brentford loss has been impressive to say the least, I would snap hwang up for the reported 12 mill that I heard he would cost as he has been a breath of fresh air to the team, trincao has shown glimpses too, I would be happy if they got someone like Botman and Sanches over the line it would really help Bruno I think.

I’m also grateful we are a pretty decent premier league team. I never thought I would see me babbies as a decent premier league team, the other 2 premier league adventures that I witnessed with wolves was purely about survival, the fact that I can moan about fighting for a top half finish is worlds apart from that, even more so now as I think the overall quality of teams in the premier league has improved since then. UTW.

A3wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
One genuine question:

I think Saiss has always been a better passer of the ball than Boly and maybe that is the reason.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Biggest reason to be optimistic is the state of the league.
With the possible exception of Brentford, every team we’ve played has been, on the day, poor-dreadful.
Not expecting any spending in the window but if we keep people fit we could finish top half.

Oldvic161

Groupie
Reaction score
Have to admit I felt more than a bit worried given the pre season, last season, a new manager and a frankly joke of a transfer window. But, I’ve been surprised, we’ve played well and lost, we’ve played poor and won, as things settle down as they always do after a dozen games we‘ll find ourselves mid table, Norwich will go, Burnley and Newcastle really struggling, Leeds Watford and palace will be down there and there’s us. I noted this xG thing?? Expected goals per game? We’re 3rd, I think that’s a great sign that going forward, tweaks to the system and personel, will have us scoring more and maybe even first half too.
we know we need players in certain areas, can’t see us getting Sanchez but if we can get players of the calibre of Hwang, with strength I am more hopeful of finishing top 10.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The three wins have really helped but some of our play has been poor in the last few games. We were playing better football at the start of the season without getting the results we deserved.

It would be brilliant if we could start increasing the quality of our high pressing football again along with getting positive results.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I still believe it all comes down to how many of our attacking players can score. Hwang seems to have made a big impact there.
We need Podence, Traore, Silva and Trincao to join that party.

Get's my full agreement! For example, it's probably me reading too much in to it, but can't help notice that in our miraculous comeback, it's Saiss and Coady, the centre halves, who got the ball over the line. From Kilman hitting the crossbar and a pullback from Dendonker. And then our defensive midfielder gets the winner.

Fair enough, Podence did brilliantly "out wide" for goal 1, as did Traore for goal 2. Yes, they have to be "out wide" sometimes, but when one forward is out wide, why are the others so rarely on the end of anything? Why is Traore, in particular "never" (and I mean literally "never") there to finish off someone else pull back/cross/deflection/whatever? When one of your star attackers has never scored a headed goal... (even Podence scored a header once! ). At some point, you have to ask :"Where do our goals come from?".

Not giving up all hope - Hwang (when not having to travel half way round the world) looks great, as does a Raul returning to full match fitness. But apart from that... I think Silva *will* be a decent finisher, but in 2 - 3 years before he really excels at top level. Podence is possibly the next best finisher in the squad? After that, it's a grim lack of anyone who can dispatch the ball into the goal with any efficiency.

I just feel that while we have been immaculately organised as a defensive unit for several seasons, there hasn't been much attention to exactly how are we going to score. The decline in Neves set piece goals just one example. Though I think there's been a steady decline overall, season on season. We know we need 15 - 20 more goals than last season to challenge the top 8 or so. Got to hope Hwang and Raul stay fit as I don't believe we have any others who can deliver them.

Joyful as 3 goals in 15 minutes was, all too often, football averages out in the end. Villa's shambolic defence opened those floodgates! And most teams aren't going to be that generous. Half expecting us to go three matches without scoring now... though wishing to be proved wrong.

<EDIT? Just realised this was the Optimism thread. Oops...well, there were a fair few positives till the doubt crept in :)

Last edited:

Elvis Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

EXCELLENT O.P. and I fully concur.

Wolves ONLY Wolves!

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Get's my full agreement! For example, it's probably me reading too much in to it, but can't help notice that in our miraculous comeback, it's Saiss and Coady, the centre halves, who got the ball over the line. From Kilman hitting the crossbar and a pullback from Dendonker. And then our defensive midfielder gets the winner.

Fair enough, Podence did brilliantly "out wide" for goal 1, as did Traore for goal 2. Yes, they have to be "out wide" sometimes, but when one forward is out wide, why are the others so rarely on the end of anything? Why is Traore, in particular "never" (and I mean literally "never") there to finish off someone else pull back/cross/deflection/whatever? When one of your star attackers has never scored a headed goal... (even Podence scored a header once! ). At some point, you have to ask :"Where do our goals come from?".

Not giving up all hope - Hwang (when not having to travel half way round the world) looks great, as does a Raul returning to full match fitness. But apart from that... I think Silva *will* be a decent finisher, but in 2 - 3 years before he really excels at top level. Podence is possibly the next best finisher in the squad? After that, it's a grim lack of anyone who can dispatch the ball into the goal with any efficiency.

I just feel that while we have been immaculately organised as a defensive unit for several seasons, there hasn't been much attention to exactly how are we going to score. The decline in Neves set piece goals just one example. Though I think there's been a steady decline overall, season on season. We know we need 15 - 20 more goals than last season to challenge the top 8 or so. Got to hope Hwang and Raul stay fit as I don't believe we have any others who can deliver them.

Joyful as 3 goals in 15 minutes was, all too often, football averages out in the end. Villa's shambolic defence opened those floodgates! And most teams aren't going to be that generous. Half expecting us to go three matches without scoring now... though wishing to be proved wrong.

<EDIT? Just realised this was the Optimism thread. Oops...well, there were a fair few positives till the doubt crept in :)
Agree in principle although, as you mention, a little downbeat for the optimism thread! What you have omitted in your concern about goals is young Pedro. He scores and assists. Additionally, with either RAN or Johnny at LWB they will score a couple and create the occasional assist too.

I feel very optimistic that with Neto, Johnny, Boly and Mosquera back we have a good squad, not just a good first team. Add, for example, Botman and Sanches, and we are becoming genuine challengers.

COYW

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The three wins have really helped but some of our play has been poor in the last few games. We were playing better football at the start of the season without getting the results we deserved.

It would be brilliant if we could start increasing the quality of our high pressing football again along with getting positive results.
Weird isn't it that after 4 losses, 4 wins, not once will the opposing fans have thought:

- That Wolves team is ****. We deservedly beat them

Or

- That Wolves team is awesome. They deservedly beat us.

I suppose Brentford and Watford were the closest, but they don't fit my narrative!

Elvis Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bruno REALLY does appear to be 'The Real Deal'.
His post match comments are lucid and to the point.
Tells it like it is, no shirking from what needs to be improved, both by himself AND the squad.
I personally like his down to earth honesty and transparency.
The fact that he thanked Fosun, for giving him the opportunity to manage in The Premier, was just humbling.

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bruno REALLY does appear to be 'The Real Deal'.
His post match comments are lucid and to the point.
Tells it like it is, no shirking from what needs to be improved, both by himself AND the squad.
I personally like his down to earth honesty and transparency.
The fact that he thanked Fosun, for giving him the opportunity to manage in The Premier, was just humbling.
Amazing what 10 minutes of football can do, he certainly wasn't considered the "Real Deal" by many contributors to the commentary thread, or indeed fans around me at VP, before 16:45 on Saturday.

Elvis Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Amazing what 10 minutes of football can do, he certainly wasn't considered the "Real Deal" by many contributors to the commentary thread, or indeed fans around me at VP, before 16:45 on Saturday.
You're absolutely correct RW, the vitriol on here, during the match was palpable .
However not all of us contributed to that, myself included.
That 10 minutes of football you refer to, certainly wasn't in my thinking, when I posted that, so please RW, don't jump to uninformed conclusions, and tar us all with the same brush.

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You're absolutely correct RW, the vitriol on here, during the match was palpable .
However not all of us contributed to that, myself included.
That 10 minutes of football you refer to, certainly wasn't in my thinking, when I posted that, so please RW, don't jump to uninformed conclusions, and tar us all with the same brush.
I stated "many" contributors, which you appear to acknowledge, not all.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One genuine question:

Boly at his best l am inclined to agree, albeit that if Kilman continues to improve.....

When was he last at his best though? Probably before lockdown. I know that there are good reasons for that but even so.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree in principle although, as you mention, a little downbeat for the optimism thread! What you have omitted in your concern about goals is young Pedro. He scores and assists. Additionally, with either RAN or Johnny at LWB they will score a couple and create the occasional assist too.

I feel very optimistic that with Neto, Johnny, Boly and Mosquera back we have a good squad, not just a good first team. Add, for example, Botman and Sanches, and we are becoming genuine challengers.

COYW

Yes, I just get triggered at any mention of our goal scoring, sorry :D Neto's been away so long, clean forgot about him. But yes, as we know, he was on the way to becoming a very special player indeed. Let's hope this injury doesn't knock him back too much.

Back
Top Bottom