Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

One of two things is going to happen this season

A

AmericanWolf

Based on what we've been hearing about the new playing style and Stale's management, one of two things is going to happen this season. We're either going to romp through the league, destroying lesser teams, and be back in the prem next summer. Or it's going to be an absolute, shambolic disaster. With us, there's no middle ground.

S

Sandwell Wolf

Agreed completely, me and my dad said exactly the same thing and so has everyone else I know.

It's $$$$ or bust, as they say.

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
Based on what we've been hearing about the new playing style and Stale's management, one of two things is going to happen this season. We're either going to romp through the league, destroying lesser teams, and be back in the prem next summer. Or it's going to be an absolute, shambolic disaster. With us, there's no middle ground.

I reckon it might take a bit of time to master for the players on the 'battlefield'...but they will come through with it in the end.

Predict triumph.

D

Dewsburywolf

Or Stale will punch someone's lights out for not understanding his new football directive

306NOTOUT

The biggest problem I see is the fans staying on side.

I'm not even sure we will be top 10 come Xmas as it will take a while for Stale to get the players playing to his style. If he is still in a job then I still think we will go up automatically

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No middle ground - my $$$$.

I think we'll finish between 6th and 10th which will set us up nicely for a real go the following season.

We will need a season for the players to get used to the new Barcelona style of play.

hambaps

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Barring relegation there is not a cat in hells chance SS will get sacked this season

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dear American Wolf don't think we've crossed swords before but this thread is a complete rip off of my post 21 on the Tika Taka thread (timed at 18.11) where I ended by saying 'if things go wrong they could go spectacularly wrong'. I feel some recognition is deserved?

RJs Tankard

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I predict we'll finish about 10th this season.

Then the following season, we'll finish 2nd.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Unless we keep hold of our few gifted/intelligent players and/or bring in others I do feel SS's revolutionary methods will be lost on the vast majority of our squad.

The Weasel

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Zonal marking. We're gonna struggle without a complete new back 4. Simple as that.

Seasider

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Going up, going up, going up...

Top two.

Mind you...I did think we were going to finish in the top half half of the table last season, so what do I know?

A

AmericanWolf

Dear American Wolf don't think we've crossed swords before but this thread is a complete rip off of my post 21 on the Tika Taka thread (timed at 18.11) where I ended by saying 'if things go wrong they could go spectacularly wrong'. I feel some recognition is deserved?

Hadn't read that thread before posting, and I apologize for giving the appearance of ripping off your idea. In fairness, I don't think either of us are being particularly original here.

I just can't help but thinking that the last time we were all excited about playing "good" football was in the early days of Hoddle.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hadn't read that thread before posting, and I apologize for giving the appearance of ripping off your idea. In fairness, I don't think either of us are being particularly original here.

I just can't help but thinking that the last time we were all excited about playing "good" football was in the early days of Hoddle.
I'll believe you?!!! I agree it's perhaps not original thinking but all this expectation raising is starting to give me the eebbie geebies. From what little I know about SS he just appears to be light years ahead of our very limited squad? I am starting to worry that he thinks he's working with Barcelona - he's quickly in for a very big shock and I dread it will all end in massive disappointment.

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Only two things? haven`t you heard the Monty Python sketch?

K

Kamma

Ståle said the word "Barcelona" in a sentence and only hours later you are talking about Wolves playing total football.

He wants his team to work as hard defensively as Barcelona. It's about effort and teamwork. Not having the skills of Xavi and Iniesta. Some of you need to read the article again.

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
Ståle said the word "Barcelona" in a sentence and only hours later you are talking about Wolves playing total football.

He wants his team to work as hard defensively as Barcelona. It's about effort and teamwork. Not having the skills of Xavi and Iniesta. Some of you need to read the article again.

You seem to have jumped to the wrong conclusion on this...are you sure you are at Uni? ;) :D

The thread is mainly about adapting to the change and style from the 'previous'..

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 4023

+1 Kamma - Closing the 'gaps' between defence & midfield doesn't equate to total football as played by Barca.

D

Denmarkwolf

______

You have to remember that Ståle coached an unknown Copenhagen team into Champions league quaterfinals. The year before that, they beat both Man U and Celtic at home. Perhaps some of the players isn´t good enough or football-wise enough, but players who looked rubish last year will suddently be a lot better cause they have a system to hang on to. Mistakes by one player will not be that costly, cause a teammate is covering for him in a tight structure. A lot of Wolves goals will come from us stealing the ball, and hit the other team on the break. Perhaps it will take some time, but I allmighty prefer this way from Warnocks way at Leeds. The right players will come and the right players will go.

I can see us either end top 2 or top 6 at least. We have the money, we have a lot of right players and we have the coachingteam Connor exempted

M

Mugwump

At the moment its all talk, lets see what they do when it matters on the pitch. I dont think a change of style is going to be an overnight thing, could even take a whole season. After all, defending is a totally new concept to these players.

TheRetroChief

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We're Wolves...if it is indeed death or glory, which do you think it's really going to be?? We're not that lucky!

Also, if by some miracle we do keep our best players, they certainly won't be here for more than 1 season in the Championship.

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We're either going to romp through the league, destroying lesser teams, and be back in the prem next summer. Or it's going to be an absolute, shambolic disaster. With us, there's no middle ground.

There's no middle ground because of the fans. For many people, finishing third would be an absolute, shambolic disaster.

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As the season progresses, the fans will expect more. Ie, if we start well and get in the top two then when we hit a rocky patch and drop to sixth or seventh then fans will get disgruntled. On the other hand, if we start ok, and steadily climb as the season progresses then us fans will be right behind them. It's so difficult... Talking now, a few weeks before the season starts, mid table or just above sounds fine... Yet when the season actually starts, and the likes of Stears or Berra drop a $$$$$$$ to lose us a game then the anger will set in again. Just wish there was more activity at Molineux. Too many of last seasons players are still here.

If we finish in a play off spot then I think that will be brilliant... But if we were close to automatic promotion, history tells us the fans will not be happy. It's so difficult for Ståle, but he nd his team need to be given a chance.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The 1 big thing for Staal is that everyone (Inc us) has at least 1 season in the Championship to get used to the new style. Such a drastic change of direction in the premiership would have been far harder to achieve.
It's also going to help our more limited players because they will have a clear job with hopefully simple instructions, something I'm not sure that Hoddles team had.
We have good enough players to win this league so I can't see relegation. Automatic depends on how quickly the team gets to grips with the new wrote and how long it takes Staal to identify the correct players (who are not necessarily the best).

Taffywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I like the talk coming out from the players at the moment, I think we are going to have a good season, we may start slowly because were looking at changing our style of play with fresh ideas but I expect us to be up there when it matters.. Really looking forward to this season...

H

Hatch End

I think that Staale has spotted the fault line that ran through Mad Mick's team.

Yes they put a shift in, yes they were good lads ( at least on the surface ) and worked hard.......... but, they rarely "showed for the ball" when in possession and had no system of covering for mistakes.

Barcelona players are infinately better than ours, but that's no shame, as it applies to nearly all our clubs. However, Staale is right, dispite their skills Barcelona players still play to system and when one of their players loses the ball or makes a bad pass ( and even they do occasionally ) several other players immediately try to neutralise the error.
How many of us have been regularly infuriated in games, when one of our players has has made a mistake and the opposition have been left unmarked / unchallen

As long as they are prepared to work the Staale way Wolves players will look much more confident and even skillful...................at least some of them will, Edwards will still be a headless chicken!

P

PeteWolf

In fairness I think Dave Edwards would thrive in a 4-6-0 system with the way he puts pressure on opposition players when they're in possession whilst being as good as anyone we have at drifting into the box from deep to take either a cut back or the second ball and tap home. He'll be our Iniesta.

welshy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Solbakken talks the talk lets hope he can walk the walk, no promotion in 2 seasons is a complete disaster and failure, though many fans who attend molineux will see it as failure in one season.

Bugsy911

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we retain our best players and get in a new CB and LB I expect a top 2 finish.

Most of this team walked the division 3 years ago and despite getting smashed week in week out in the premier league are good players in the championship.

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
Using Blackpool as a Championship yardstick...

I was impressed with how well they played against West Ham in the P/O final at Wembley, despite losing. And in other games too. They should challenge for promotion again this season.

They move well as a unit and attack in numbers, and are attractive to watch.

So, if Wolves can match them on the pitch when we play them, it may prove a good guide as to where we are, and act as a yardstick for our season.

My theory anyway...

306NOTOUT

I guess we're putting this down as a complete disaster rather than romping the league??

I like Hambaps "barring relegation theres not a cat in hells kchance stale will be sacked"

OsloWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I guess we're putting this down as a complete disaster rather than romping the league??

I like Hambaps "barring relegation theres not a cat in hells kchance stale will be sacked"

To be fair Hambaps should have been right.

1908radford

As long as we are not in a relegation fight I can see DS experimenting with the team and taking the 2nd half of this season to decide who is in and out and clearing the dead wood during the summer.I think only a striker will be signed this window if any at all.
I expect major signings during the summer once the squad has been trimmed and a push for promotion!

Back
Top Bottom