Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Old Molineux Photos

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I also love any old photos of around the early 1980s of fans in the Waterloo Road enclosure (as above). My late Dad used to stand there occasionally when he wasnt working on a farm on a weekend. When I started going to Molineux as a young kid I used to sometimes go in the New Stand with my late Uncle (the New Stand had only just been built), or stand in the enclosure with Dad.

The Enclosure photos I always look closely to see if I can see him.

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Steve becomes slightly tinged.
s-l1600.jpg

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Top man Albert Bates.

Does anyone remember a ‘Save our Wolves’ run around the vicinity of the ground/ring road etc? Would have been around when that photo was taken. 85/86ish. On a Sunday I think it was.

I did the run with my two older brothers. I was about 13.
Muriel Bates was as important as Albert as well
They still live on the Penn Road

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thanks @Ercall Wolves , i must admit, I wasnt sure if they were still around as they must be getting on a bit now, so great to hear they are ok. Yes, Muriel was a good woman too. Wolves through and through the pair of them

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Weird thought... One day, every picture or video that anyone on this site takes at Molineux will be considered 'old'... Time waits for no one but football is forever.

You are absolutely right. In fact you said something that to me and I dare say many others on this excellent thread that showed how quickly things pass into history. It was when you said that you had never seen Steve Bull play in a competitive game . For people like me who are in our late fifties this shows how quickly time passes as I saw him in his first Wolves season in 1986/87 and for many seasons after. Then when I think about it he has been retired some 25 years now so of course there are many who never saw the great man play which makes it a shame for fans like you. While I already appreciated just how special Bully was, the fact that I saw him for so many seasons is why he is truly the Zeus of Wolves Gods in the Molineux equivalent of Mount Olympus :):):)

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I cringe a little bit sometimes when I read comments like 'it could only happen to Wolves', like Wolves have somehow had more pain and suffering than every other club in the country..... and whilst there's no question the Bhatti era did hit us hard, losing one of the greatest generational talents the country has had to become a Jehovah's Witness is definitely something very few clubs can match and does give a bit more credibility to the statement!

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is a really interesting website. Shows you the clubs all England players came from in any given year.
Does the London stuff really stand up?
1992 is very grim reading. Taylor picked David White, Alan Smith, a geriatric Mark Hateley, injured David Hirst, Brian Deane and Paul Stewart ahead of Bully

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Weird thought... One day, every picture or video that anyone on this site takes at Molineux will be considered 'old'... Time waits for no one but football is forever.

It’s not. It just feels like it when you are 1-0 up against one of the Sky 6 and the board goes up announcing 14 minutes of added time.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Our kid is doing a evening at the museum on Thursday, largely based around the subject of saving the wolves....think he has tried to get both Albert and Muriel to attend....not sure if he has been successful yet ...but he is hoping....

WorcesterWanderer

Reaction score
You are absolutely right. In fact you said something that to me and I dare say many others on this excellent thread that showed how quickly things pass into history. It was when you said that you had never seen Steve Bull play in a competitive game . For people like me who are in our late fifties this shows how quickly time passes as I saw him in his first Wolves season in 1986/87 and for many seasons after. Then when I think about it he has been retired some 25 years now so of course there are many who never saw the great man play which makes it a shame for fans like you. While I already appreciated just how special Bully was, the fact that I saw him for so many seasons is why he is truly the Zeus of Wolves Gods in the Molineux equivalent of Mount Olympus :):):)
This is why I'd always listen to my old man when he would go on about the great sides of the 70s and 80s. He was born in the 50s and I came about in the early 2000s, I've always had an admiration for his era of football as a result. Something hit me when I was reading this post- it's been 7 years this year since I started following Wolves because of an online friend I had who was from the Black Country. So much has changed since then. I'm not a kid anymore, I never met that friend, I'm now living in the Midlands and so many of the players I liked back then have gone. I remember where I was when we won the Championship... One day I'll be an old fella going on about the great players and great managers we have had. It's a cycle and we will all repeat it.

That's something I love about this forum- people can get a bit sentimental about football. Has made it so much easier to keep coming back here.

Passedit

Reaction score

Was speaking to a footballer who shared a room with Peter on under England 21 duty, he said Knowles was the best footballer he had ever seen in training, this fella went on to become a household name so was quite a statement,
Just wondering Chignalwolf if that was H R?

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Have this on the wall at home from photographer Stuart Clarke's "Homes of Football".
Classic photo from an era...

Would love a photo of the graphitti down molinueux alley from before the Sherpa cup semi final....when someone wrote on the wall..."No sleep till County"....... definitely meant a lot at the time....

Abbobrom

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I remember when we signed Steve Bull and Andy Thompson from the Albion. A group of us sitting in the stand were all asking which was Bull and which was Thompson.

It didn't, take long to find out!!

Talking of Andy, he won me a few quid as the first goal scorer. I think the odds setters hadn't realised he took the penalties. We used to get a few in those days.

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was there!!!

Freezing January day, came over on the all night ferry from Dublin to Liverpool, train down from Lime Street!!

Then shortly after final whistle did the reverse!

Effectively you were travelling non stop from 10.15 pm on Friday night until 7 am return to Dublin Port on Sunday morning…. apart from the few hours around the match itself!!

But i loved it !!!

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was there!!!

Freezing January day, came over on the all night ferry from Dublin to Liverpool, train down from Lime Street!!

Then shortly after final whistle did the reverse!

Effectively you were travelling non stop from 10.15 pm on Friday night until 7 am return to Dublin Port on Sunday morning…. apart from the few hours around the match itself!!

But i loved it !!!

I was there as well, but had a much shorter journey than you.

Wigan Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
That was my first home game!
I was about 13 and travelled down in a car full of Everton fans. I remember just standing on the terrace, the game had started and I was standing there in a daze, I couldn’t believe I was actually at the Mol. I will never forget that day, it was so special.

Norway Wolves

Reaction score
I saw almost every game he played I reckon. What a privelage. At the time there felt like a constant frustration. All we wanted was top divison football, and realistically we were not that close so often. Now we have what we craved so much, but it doesn't mean the same withough Bully, we take it for granted.

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
This was THE area to stand during the Bully years. The crush after a goal was amzing, I'll never forget it. I never felt in danger but only once made the mistake of leaning on one of those barriers.
Yeah i sussed it by standing in front of the barriers, took many years of bruised ribs before tho,:frowning:
the worse occasion was when the Doog got sent of v Everton, think he got something like 8 weeks suspension following that,

Lou Pine

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Looks like the last season before the south bank was knocked down judging by the position of the goal, 92-93.
Home and away sections swapped over.
I forgot that they did that, cheers. I remember standing in the away section for Bournemouth at home once where they were given a few seats and we had both home and away sections of the South Bank.

Back
Top Bottom