Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Old Molineux Photos

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
View attachment 41385
Can you see anything wrong with this picture below of Moli.
View attachment 41386

fa-cup-semi-final-highbury-1929-epw025836-1215046.jpg.webp

Highbury before the famous stands!

Attachments

• 1711321304599.jpeg
    1711321304599.jpeg
    13.8 KB · Views: 9

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

To this day I still wonder how good Peter Knowles could have been. He had everything and I think he would have gone on to be a regular in the England team. Though had he carried on playing, I wonder how long he would have been at Wolves? We will never know, but it was a great loss to Wolves and football when he decided to quit the game.

I only saw the tail end of Peter Broadbents career, so I would have to say that Knocker was the most talented player I have seen in a Wolves shirt.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To this day I still wonder how good Peter Knowles could have been. He had everything and I think he would have gone on to be a regular in the England team. Though had he carried on playing, I wonder how long he would have been at Wolves? We will never know, but it was a great loss to Wolves and football when he decided to quit the game.

I only saw the tail end of Peter Broadbents career, so I would have to say that Knocker was the most talented player I have seen in a Wolves shirt.
Pity you didn't see Peter in the 50s. Good as Knocker was, in his pomp PB was on a different level. Best player I have ever seen in a Wolves shirt

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
A bit of useless information. I worked in the office block in the background as an apprentice pipe fitter aged 16 in 1971. We were repairing pipes in underground ducting.
Confused me there. That's the Art College isn't it, recently opened in 1971?

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I bought some Wolves 1970s Topps Football Cards in an EBay auction about a year ago. Commercially, they got pushed to one side once Panani stickers got established around 1977. I remember when you opened a pack of Topps there was a disgusting tasting piece of chewing gum inside that I used to bin as it was really was that bad !

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pity you didn't see Peter in the 50s. Good as Knocker was, in his pomp PB was on a different level. Best player I have ever seen in a Wolves shirt

My Father always said how good Peter Broadbent was, and he was a lifelong Manchester City fan, but he still rated Broadbent very highly indeed.

As you say, I do wish I had seen him at his peak.

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My Father always said how good Peter Broadbent was, and he was a lifelong Manchester City fan, but he still rated Broadbent very highly indeed.

As you say, I do wish I had seen him at his peak.
My dad reckoned he was the most complete Wolves player he'd ever seen, if he'd have played for West Ham or Spurs he'd have got far more than 7 England caps.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My dad reckoned he was the most complete Wolves player he'd ever seen, if he'd have played for West Ham or Spurs he'd have got far more than 7 England caps.
He was a contemporary of Johnny Haynes, England captain, and Bobby Robson, both great "inside forwards" of their day - and both effectively kept PB out of the 1958 World Cup team IIRC - but neither IMV was a better inside forward than Broadbent.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've made this argument on a different thread and was shot down as a Mol mix conspiracy merchant.

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've made this argument on a different thread and was shot down as a Mol mix conspiracy merchant.
It was a very well known fact that the London papers had a massive effect on who got picked for England. Martin Peters would never have worn an England shirt if it wasn't for the big West Ham/Spurs lobby in the press.

Last edited:

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is a really interesting website. Shows you the clubs all England players came from in any given year.
Does the London stuff really stand up?
Maybe things have changed, my recollection was of Wagstaffe, Parkin and Bailey being repeated overlooked. Parkin in particular had very consistent form, almost weekly the Molineux chant was 'Parkin for England' was basically ignored by the media of the day.

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe things have changed, my recollection was of Wagstaffe, Parkin and Bailey being repeated overlooked. Parkin in particular had very consistent form, almost weekly the Molineux chant was 'Parkin for England' was basically ignored by the media of the day.
You can include Richards and Hibbitt in that list.

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
I agree that some of our players deserved more. But the squads don't appear to be dominated by London based players to any great degree.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You can include Richards and Hibbitt in that list.
I get that we were biased, add to that we did see as much football as we do today, but there was a definite feeling on the terraces that Wolves had some of their players that were better than those in England tenure. But the fleet street press promoted their favorites.

hankin

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I agree that some of our players deserved more. But the squads don't appear to be dominated by London based players to any great degree.
Agreed. It has always been a cliche to talk about supposed London bias, especially when the sports pages of national newspapers were accused. These have always been staffed largely by reporters who had graduated from regional papers such as (Wolves fan) David Harrison of the B'ham Evening Mail who made his name at the Daily Mail in the 80's and 90's.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I get that we were biased, add to that we did see as much football as we do today, but there was a definite feeling on the terraces that Wolves had some of their players that were better than those in England tenure. But the fleet street press promoted their favorites.
To be honest, and l was there in the late 60s onwards, fans always seem to overrate their own players. I still remember the shock of our first PL game (or should l say stuffing) against Blackburn....

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Was speaking to a footballer who shared a room with Peter on under England 21 duty, he said Knowles was the best footballer he had ever seen in training, this fella went on to become a household name so was quite a statement,

Back
Top Bottom