Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Offside

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The law states:

A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched* by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:
  • interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate or
  • interfering with an opponent by:
    • preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or
    • challenging an opponent for the ball or
    • clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent or
    • making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball
or
  • gaining an advantage by playing the ball or interfering with an opponent when it has:
    • rebounded or been deflected off the goalpost, crossbar or an opponent
    • been deliberately saved by any opponent
Howard Webb needs to sort this **** out immediately .

The salah goal last week was offside . The rashford goal today was offside. Both based on the penultimate bullet

Meanwhile wolves saw Cunha offside when he didn’t touch it today, when a west ham player cleared it for a corner . There was 3 other decisions today exactly the Same

Bamford was offside last night for chasing a ball which he was beaten to by Martinez .

If I’m lopetegui I’m demanding Howard Webb come back to Compton Monday morning to explain what the rule is . They don’t know themselves

Wolves Heathen

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Todays offside was different to yesterdays version, yesterdays offside was different to the days before, the days before was different to last weeks, basically its one big **** up, If they are on the pitch in an offside position they are offside end of, as the late great Brian Clough said something along the lines of "If they aint interfering with play, I want to know why not" or words to that effect..

Parkfieldswolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Mate I’ve given up with the rules as I’ve no idea what they are anymore? Salah offside last week but benefits from it today Raul offside but doesn’t benefit with touches from opposition defenders being the last touch? Hand ball rule- anyone know the rules? Time added on anyone know who keeps track of it? Free kicks being taken far from where they were meant to, goalies holding the ball longer than 6 seconds, players gaining yards on throws the list goes on it’s all so inconsistent. Mout actually took an elbow in the face today but no foul given and play was eventually stopped with the ref assuming Mout was faking it with cameras everywhere (except at Anfield in the last minute) is it so difficult for someone looking at the TV to inform the ref there was an elbow and he isn’t faking it? Sad indictment of the modern game but I didn’t celebrate Raul’s goal as I guessed it would suffer VAR treatment. One last thing the professional foul. Where players know they’re only going to get a yellow and foul a player usually in full flow as Traore was today. Fans want to see entertainment and players in full flow running at a defence is entertaining only to be chopped down and a yellow card. Make it instant red and eradicate it from the game oh and finally **** VAR

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The law states:

A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched* by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:
  • interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate or
    • preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or
    • clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent or
    • making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball
or
  • gaining an advantage by playing the ball or interfering with an opponent when it has:

The salah goal last week was offside . The rashford goal today was offside. Both based on the penultimate bullet

Meanwhile wolves saw Cunha offside when he didn’t touch it today, when a west ham player cleared it for a corner . There was 3 other decisions today exactly the Same

Bamford was offside last night for chasing a ball which he was beaten to by Martinez .

If I’m lopetegui I’m demanding Howard Webb come back to Compton Monday morning to explain what the rule is . They don’t know themselves
I agree the law is nonsense. But according to it, you're offside if you challenge for it. And you can argue from the wording that United's goal was legitimate. But they've made it ridiculously complicated and open to interpretation - it needs sorting because nobody really understands it.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'll openly admit that the offside rule is now so convoluted that I haven't a clue what is and what isn't offside anymore. Now that I've been man-enough to admit that, I'll wait for PGMOL, referrees, linos and of course VAR to come out and admit the same.

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They make it up as they go along and to suit a narrative.
Of course they do if you have any rule that can be altered to suit during games you have classic match fixing and there can now be no doubt that the results of certain games are being manipulated. Anyone who thinks it's simply mistakes need to only look at the massive amount of money being wagered across the world. It will eventually be uncovered but probably has some way to go yet.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree the law is nonsense. But according to it, you're offside if you challenge for it. And you can argue from the wording that United's goal was legitimate. But they've made it ridiculously complicated and open to interpretation - it needs sorting because nobody really understands it.

Wrong

Rashford clearly impacted the man city players therefore should have been considered offside . Same with salah

T

TheConcourse

I’ve got an idea: if a player is offside they’re offside, if they’re interfering with play or not. The reality is that the game moves so quickly someone is always interfering with play, because defenders need to be conscious of their next move.

Offside is offside.

Oh, and stop ****ing with our game. It’s turning into a **** show.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
How can the Man Utd goal today be allowed?! Rashford literally runs onto the pass. Whether he touches it or not he’s surely involved in the play.

Also today. We had an offside given today when the West Ham defender clearly headed the ball backwards to our player. Perhaps the Premier League should say that you won’t be flagged offside if you’re a well known player. Could call it Salah’s law.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They have tried to explain these decisions by saying well its the rules
When no one can understand the rules, and that includes players, managers ,pundits and more to the point referees then something is seriously wrong
Ive been in football most of my life playing, managing, reffing and ofc spectating and i frankly have no clue now what the laws are,and that makes me angry as i cant explain decisions to my children and grand children when they ask,it makes everyone look foolish especially the officials supposedly in charge

T

TheConcourse

How can the Man Utd goal today be allowed?! Rashford literally runs onto the pass. Whether he touches it or not he’s surely involved in the play.

Also today. We had an offside given today when the West Ham defender clearly headed the ball backwards to our player. Perhaps the Premier League should say that you won’t be flagged offside if you’re a well known player. Could call it Salah’s law.
Salaw.

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve watched football since being a teeny kid (43 now) and played at a reasonable level. Can honestly say I wouldn’t relish playing with the current offside laws. I just don’t get it anymore. If a player/team gains an advantage from a player being in an offside position, goals should not stand, regardless of intent, interference (which is subjective), or defenders playing the ball first. The whole situation really stinks and only seems to benefit the big teams. Wolves could argue the ball came off a West Ham player’s head (trying to get in the way of a through ball as Gomes did for Salah’s ‘goal’) for Rauls chalked off goal, but we don’t get the rub of the decision. I just give up trying to understand it.

Nige100

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Offside doesn’t exist anymore. What exists is a set of stupid/complicated rules that make the buffoon officials go to new heights of buffoonery. If Rashford isn’t offside today then scrap the rule completely we will all put 5 men standing on each others goal line. The City defender does not worry about Brer Rabbit as he he is waiting to react to whatever move Rashford makes. He steps an inch to the side and Brer Rabbit curls it around the defender. He gets nowhere near the ball without Rashford’s presence. ****ing loony.

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What would have happened if the defender had just taken Rashford out? No red card as he wasn’t interfering with play?
Exactly! But the ball was in play so the offender would’ve got a red anyway? Or not because Rashford was offside? Who knows!?

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No idea what the law is anymore, think it depends on who is playing/reffing the game and their interpretation of it.

Just to add whilst watching the Manchester derby in the ground today, I so wanted ratfaces goal to be disallowed, my hatred off him runs deep.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mate I’ve given up with the rules as I’ve no idea what they are anymore? Salah offside last week but benefits from it today Raul offside but doesn’t benefit with touches from opposition defenders being the last touch? Hand ball rule- anyone know the rules? Time added on anyone know who keeps track of it? Free kicks being taken far from where they were meant to, goalies holding the ball longer than 6 seconds, players gaining yards on throws the list goes on it’s all so inconsistent. Mout actually took an elbow in the face today but no foul given and play was eventually stopped with the ref assuming Mout was faking it with cameras everywhere (except at Anfield in the last minute) is it so difficult for someone looking at the TV to inform the ref there was an elbow and he isn’t faking it? Sad indictment of the modern game but I didn’t celebrate Raul’s goal as I guessed it would suffer VAR treatment. One last thing the professional foul. Where players know they’re only going to get a yellow and foul a player usually in full flow as Traore was today. Fans want to see entertainment and players in full flow running at a defence is entertaining only to be chopped down and a yellow card. Make it instant red and eradicate it from the game oh and finally **** VAR

I agree with everything you say, this whole drive to make football rules into some objective science is doomed to failure. Which is why VAR could never work as advertised.

But I will add, on "fans wanting too see entertainment", the vast amount of money in the game comes from global media rights. And globally, fans are interested in about 10 teams. The other teams are the cones to be knocked over this week. Wherever you go in the world, you are never far away from Liverpool/Man U/Arsenal fans. (a bit like rats!). Thing is, we (and most the other 86 clubs), see this bias towards the big 6 as a problem. But those running the game don't. To them , the big problem would be a Champions League with none of the Man U/Bayern/Barca teams in it. That would get them in crises meetings. Strings of controversial decisions against the traffic cone teams doesn't even register.

The big money is from TV fans, not the few thousand in the stadium. And those fans overwhelming follow a handful of teams and we aren't one of them. Globally, those paying customers want to see the same few teams again and again and if they aren't on, they will switch off. Having suffered Burnley v Stoke once, I can understand. :D

<EDIT> TLDR - Most fans associate "entertainment" with a very few clubs and we all know who they are.

Last edited:

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wrong

Rashford clearly impacted the man city players therefore should have been considered offside . Same with salah
I don't think he impacted their ability to play the ball.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It would be very interesting to play a friendly match with no offside, just to see how things go. I have no idea how the dynamic of the game would change? Would teams keep a goal-hanger up the pitch just like we used to do in the play ground all those years ago? I think it could be an interesting experiment.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think he impacted their ability to play the ball.
He surely impacted Ederson who set himself for Rashford to shoot and then Fernandes did instead.

I don’t see how running on to the ball isn’t classed as interfering with play, even if he hasn’t touched it. The ball was at his feet moving in the same direction as him, he’s interfering with play.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Take away any supporter bias - If you ask 100 football fans if Man Utd's first goal today is offside, 90+ say yes.

Quite clearly Marcus Rashford is interfering with play. It's not even vaguely disputable.

A dreadful rule. So much wrong with it I can't even be bothered to start listing.

T

TheConcourse

Take away any supporter bias - If you ask 100 football fans if Man Utd's first goal today is offside, 90+ say yes.

Quite clearly Marcus Rashford is interfering with play. It's not even vaguely disputable.

A dreadful rule. So much wrong with it I can't even be bothered to start listing.
Just seen this - genuinely lost for words. Seemed like the linesman and the ref made the decision from the highlights; not the VAR?

Absolutely dreadful decision.

Wall heath Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I dont see what's so hard to understand.

Offside is offside, unless it's onside, however sometimes onside is offside and offside is onside.
In the circumstance of offside actually being offside var will check the club badge to decide if the offside players positinnon the pitch and, club badge dependant, will decide wether to award a goal or freekick.
Offside can also be onside if the manager/head coach/owner shakes the referees hand in a certain way before the game.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Webb hasn't been seen since his visit to see Lopetegui on Thursday. Probably still taped up in a cupboard at Compton.

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The law states:

or

A few by me pointed out that Cunha offside.

It's ridiculously inconsistent.

On the flip side same half their lino refused to flag when a West Ham player was through but didn't reach it yet was clearly offside and we cleared.

Could of ended up a goal.

Will cost teams and cause injuries.

Needs sorting out, if they're off they're off.

Either make it an automated system or let the lineos flag, they're being confused themselves and I feel sorry for them.

Parkfieldswolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I agree with everything you say, this whole drive to make football rules into some objective science is doomed to failure. Which is why VAR could never work as advertised.

But I will add, on "fans wanting too see entertainment", the vast amount of money in the game comes from global media rights. And globally, fans are interested in about 10 teams. The other teams are the cones to be knocked over this week. Wherever you go in the world, you are never far away from Liverpool/Man U/Arsenal fans. (a bit like rats!). Thing is, we (and most the other 86 clubs), see this bias towards the big 6 as a problem. But those running the game don't. To them , the big problem would be a Champions League with none of the Man U/Bayern/Barca teams in it. That would get them in crises meetings. Strings of controversial decisions against the traffic cone teams doesn't even register.

The big money is from TV fans, not the few thousand in the stadium. And those fans overwhelming follow a handful of teams and we aren't one of them. Globally, those paying customers want to see the same few teams again and again and if they aren't on, they will switch off. Having suffered Burnley v Stoke once, I can understand. :D

<EDIT> TLDR - Most fans associate "entertainment" with a very few clubs and we all know who they are.
Sadly you are right. We are as you say just there to make up the numbers.

Notsoslimshady

Groupie
Reaction score
I wrote in another thread that the rashford one was ridiculous. Can't see how you can be within a yard of the ball, running onto a pass that was meant fof you, with the goalkeeper watching you as the main threat, and not be interfering with play. When "i can find an excuse for anything" walton explained it i just thought it a load of ****.

They seem to try and fix parts of offside that weren't broken. Introducing even more shades of grey

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's slowly killing the game tbh. The spontaneous eruption of excitement after a goal is scored is now always tempered as you wait for the almost inevitable VAR check. If excitement in any way is taken out of the game then you gradually erode its enjoyment and eventually its popularity.

Back
Top Bottom