Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

O’Neill Sigings

glorybox

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There’s always a lot of conversation about transfers windows and certainly an expectation that this summer will be a busy one, however, I don’t think there’s been much consideration to O’Neill’s approach to this or will it just be Hobbs at the wheel..? After all O’Neill has been appointed pretty much at the same point for two clubs with very little in the way of incoming transfers. How do we know how good he’ll be at this rather than just working with what he has. The counter argument I guess would be that he has done well at both clubs regardless. The 3 main players brought in at Bournemouth were:-

Outtarra £24m
Semenyo £9m
Zabarnyi £20m

I can’t say I know a lot about any of them, are they good VFM signings..? Did he have any say in them? I’m not sure of Bournemouths recruitment process.

Thoughts?

Lawndog

Reaction score
There’s always a lot of conversation about transfers windows and certainly an expectation that this summer will be a busy one, however, I don’t think there’s been much consideration to O’Neill’s approach to this or will it just be Hobbs at the wheel..? After all O’Neill has been appointed pretty much at the same point for two clubs with very little in the way of incoming transfers. How do we know how good he’ll be at this rather than just working with what he has. The counter argument I guess would be that he has done well at both clubs regardless. The 3 main players brought in at Bournemouth were:-

Outtarra £24m
Semenyo £9m
Zabarnyi £20m

I can’t say I know a lot about any of them, are they good VFM signings..? Did he have any say in them? I’m not sure of Bournemouths recruitment process.

Thoughts?
Not really seen much of Bournemouth but that Semenyo looks a baller!

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Outtarra £24m
Semenyo £9m
Zabarnyi £20m

Thoughts?
I think the Zarbarbnyi guy has played every minute of every game in the prem this season
Semenyo is a cracking player.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Slightly OT but on the same theme; I'm just praying we don't break up this squad too much in the summer. I get similar vibes now to when I watched Wolves under Nuno in the Champs. That squad was not broken up to any great extent but enhanced by some marvellous signings.

Eastern Wolf

Reaction score
We don’t need any big time Charlies like Guedes to upset the apple cart. Just a mixture of some young, hungry, players with potential and one or two seasoned pros in the ilk of Dawson and Lemina. No need to break the bank when you have a good coach like GON who can improve players.
I don’t think we will pay more than 30m for a player in the near term nor do we need to.
A physical yet mobile striker who can head the ball too is obviously needed. A backup for Semedo - or replacement if he leaves as he is on last year of contract next year. A decent backup goalie. A fast central defender would be good too if it’s not Mosquera.
Don’t forget we have Chiquinho who looked like he had something about him when he first arrived to return. Mosquera, Chem Campbell, Nigel Lodwijk, Dexter Lembikisa, Luke Cundle, Joe Hodge, Ki- Jan Hoever……all to return.
Guedes, Fabio and Podence could all return too if they don’t find buyers.
I'm sure GON could work his magic on a few of these players and save us some money.

Last edited:

WorcesterWanderer

Reaction score
Let Hobbs buy 'em and let Gary coach 'em. It's a system, and it works well. Gary is an excellent Coach and I think Hobbs knows exactly what he's doing and what we need.

A3wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Outtarra £24m
Semenyo £9m
Zabarnyi £20m

Thoughts?
Quite like Tavernier of Bournmouth.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Slightly OT but on the same theme; I'm just praying we don't break up this squad too much in the summer. I get similar vibes now to when I watched Wolves under Nuno in the Champs. That squad was not broken up to any great extent but enhanced by some marvellous signings.
Unfortunately I don't think we're going to get another Joao Moutinho for £5m. That was the pivotal signing for me to enhance the Championship squad, even more than Raul.

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Unfortunately he's no Neto.
If Nketiah was part of the Neto deal then we’re getting a very good forward, to fill one of our most deficient areas, with literally zero options since Cunha and Hwang were injured. We’ve already proved we can achieve some excellent results when Neto was out for the last two months of last year. I also think Bellegarde could be very useful out wide and he definitely isn’t a centre forward.

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm genuinely looking forward to seeing what direction we go in under GON. Yes Hobbs will ultimately make the signings but it will be for the type of player that Gary asks for. Will the signings just be to strengthen what we have or will we try and reinvent ourselves with 4 at the back like GON says he prefers?

If we unexpectedly lose Gomes or Ait-Nouri to a big bid how are we going to modify the team to cope as both play such a big role in how we currently play? it's going to be a very interesting summer. I see no reason why both GON and Hobbs working together won't get it right, even if it will be a bumpy ride.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Nketiah was part of the Neto deal then we’re getting a very good forward, to fill one of our most deficient areas, with literally zero options since Cunha and Hwang were injured. We’ve already proved we can achieve some excellent results when Neto was out for the last two months of last year. I also think Bellegarde could be very useful out wide and he definitely isn’t a centre forward.
I think I'd be happy with a deal of Nketiah plus cash for Neto. Nketiah is about as good as we are going to get if we want a striker with Premier league experience. I reckon he could do a good job for us paired with Cunha and with Hwang/Sarabia/Bellegarde/Chiquinho to choose from as well.

Neto is special, we aren't going to replace him directly. So we may as well try for a deal that will fill a gaping hole in our forward line and give us some cash to get someone reasonably close to Neto as well.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Trouble is, with it looking like Neto is going to miss the rest of the season, I can't see anybody paying the big money we want for him.
I think 50/60m is more realistic with a player thrown in for good measure but let’s see.

Who knows what may happen. What if some Mendes carousel Saudi team come and offer €100m boom

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm genuinely looking forward to seeing what direction we go in under GON. Yes Hobbs will ultimately make the signings but it will be for the type of player that Gary asks for. Will the signings just be to strengthen what we have or will we try and reinvent ourselves with 4 at the back like GON says he prefers?

If we unexpectedly lose Gomes or Ait-Nouri to a big bid how are we going to modify the team to cope as both play such a big role in how we currently play? it's going to be a very interesting summer. I see no reason why both GON and Hobbs working together won't get it right, even if it will be a bumpy ride.

I'm not a fan of 4 at the back. Everyone thinks it makes us more attacking, but it really doesn't.

Every time Gary has tried it, he's abandoned it mid game. It's too rigid, and I'm not sure an upgrade in players changes that.

I love seeing RAN and Semedo pop up in the box like Johnny and Doc used to. It must be a nightmare to defend

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Trouble is, with it looking like Neto is going to miss the rest of the season, I can't see anybody paying the big money we want for him.
If they’re really interested in him, they won’t let a temporary injury stop them from making a full assessment.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was about to say similarly. I reckon there will plenty of player and money plus player swaps in the summer across all clubs.

Neto is great when fully fit but I don't think he's built to play his A game for much more than half a season. Same goes for Hwang and sadly, I wouldn't trust Bellegarde to play a whole season without major issues.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If they’re really interested in him, they won’t let a temporary injury stop them from making a full assessment.
Man City are very keen on him from what Iv heard and would be surprised if he went elsewhere. Money will talk on this one.

I'm not a fan of 4 at the back. Everyone thinks it makes us more attacking, but it really doesn't.

Every time Gary has tried it, he's abandoned it mid game. It's too rigid, and I'm not sure an upgrade in players changes that.

I love seeing RAN and Semedo pop up in the box like Johnny and Doc used to. It must be a nightmare to defend
Absolutely a back 3/5 helps us balance the team so much.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think 50/60m is more realistic with a player thrown in for good measure but let’s see.

Who knows what may happen. What if some Mendes carousel Saudi team come and offer €100m boom
Good point about the Saudis.
It will be very interesting to see how ‘ambitious/aggressive’ they are this window with their money.
I suspect they will be trying to sign some very, very big names to their league, although the Henderson plan didn’t work for them……..this time.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good point about the Saudis.
It will be very interesting to see how ‘ambitious/aggressive’ they are this window with their money.
I suspect they will be trying to sign some very, very big names to their league, although the Henderson plan didn’t work for them……..this time.
Henderson was more down to his mrs being unsettled and he didn’t like the life there. He didn’t get paid because he didn’t see the year out.

Still interesting to see where the Saudi money goes this window. If Mendes could get Podence and Fabio out there for inflated prices who are we to care

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Henderson was more down to his mrs being unsettled and he didn’t like the life there. He didn’t get paid because he didn’t see the year out.

Still interesting to see where the Saudi money goes this window. If Mendes could get Podence and Fabio out there for inflated prices who are we to care
I can see the bottom dropping out of the Saudi League somehow

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We don’t need any big time Charlies like Guedes to upset the apple cart. Just a mixture of some young, hungry, players with potential and one or two seasoned pros in the ilk of Dawson and Lemina. No need to break the bank when you have a good coach like GON who can improve players.
I don’t think we will pay more than 30m for a player in the near term nor do we need to.
A physical yet mobile striker who can head the ball too is obviously needed. A backup for Semedo - or replacement if he leaves as he is on last year of contract next year. A decent backup goalie. A fast central defender would be good too if it’s not Mosquera.
Don’t forget we have Chiquinho who looked like he had something about him when he first arrived to return. Mosquera, Chem Campbell, Nigel Lodwijk, Dexter Lembikisa, Luke Cundle, Joe Hodge, Ki- Jan Hoever……all to return.
Guedes, Fabio and Podence could all return too if they don’t find buyers.
I'm sure GON could work his magic on a few of these players and save us some money.
Early days to tell in terms of players coming back from loans, but I have most faith in Mosquera making it. I would have said cChiq as well, but hard to tell post injury. I think Lembikisa has talent but is raw. I don't see the others setting the world alight tbh, but who knows.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I knew about Henderson’s leaving but the reasons are kinda immaterial. It’s just one guy, ( although high profile), and I doubt that will deter the Saudis from their plan.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think I'd be happy with a deal of Nketiah plus cash for Neto. Nketiah is about as good as we are going to get if we want a striker with Premier league experience. I reckon he could do a good job for us paired with Cunha and with Hwang/Sarabia/Bellegarde/Chiquinho to choose from as well.

Neto is special, we aren't going to replace him directly. So we may as well try for a deal that will fill a gaping hole in our forward line and give us some cash to get someone reasonably close to Neto as well.
He's only 'special' if he can string more than 5-10 games together without getting injured. At the present moment his value to us is precisely zero.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I knew about Henderson’s leaving but the reasons are kinda immaterial. It’s just one guy, ( although high profile), and I doubt that will deter the Saudis from their plan.
I don't particularly want the Saudis to be successful but they definitely have the resources to be persistent and have made progress in other sports. The possible difference is that most of those other sports don't necessarily involve playing/living in that country...

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can see the bottom dropping out of the Saudi League somehow
Why? Not saying you’re wrong but I think, 20 years from now, their league will be flourishing.
Players usually go to City, Utd, Real, PSG etc mostly because they offer the best terms. ……now Saudi has the biggest cheque book and tax free money.

What’s to stop them? No lack of money so therefore it’s only the will. Geographically they are ideally situated to attract quality players from Africa, the Middle East and India, Pakistan etc
And thus, a ready made tv market audience.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Henderson is the lone one to get out, but he is part of a large group who regret going there and have/are looking for routes out of their contracts.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't particularly want the Saudis to be successful but they definitely have the resources to be persistent and have made progress in other sports. The possible difference is that most of those other sports don't necessarily involve playing/living in that country...
Oh really?……Last year I posted an article, either from the Athletic or the NYT, ( times owns the athletic), that the NBA were considering abolishing their salary cap before the Saudis start attracting basketball players to Saudi Arabia.
They want the golf and that silly car racing…….they seem very, very serious about expanding into sports.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why? Not saying you’re wrong but I think, 20 years from now, their league will be flourishing.
Players usually go to City, Utd, Real, PSG etc mostly because they offer the best terms. ……now Saudi has the biggest cheque book and tax free money.

What’s to stop them? No lack of money so therefore it’s only the will. Geographically they are ideally situated to attract quality players from Africa, the Middle East and India, Pakistan etc
And thus, a ready made tv market audience.
Just a gut feel, feels gimmicky, I don't know anyone who watches it, generally the world is EPL obsessed, the players don't seem to really want to be there, flying in for a fight or a race, is different to living there all the time, and actually how much money do you need?

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
IMG_5180.jpeg
Quotes from Aymeric Laporte above, doesn’t sound that impressed with it, Benzema apparently wants out as well. Both after less than a year.

Womens rights are totally different over there as well, Riyad Mahrezs English wife is apparently struggling with it. The life style of a top players wife over there is pretty different to Europe.

Throw in low crowds and poor quality football and it certainly seems to me that it will be a bit of a flash in the pan.

Bottom line is really top players will still earn a fortune in Europe. Is the prospect of having even more money that you’ll never realistically need or even be able to spend that attractive?

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
View attachment 41270
Quotes from Aymeric Laporte above, doesn’t sound that impressed with it, Benzema apparently wants out as well. Both after less than a year.

Womens rights are totally different over there as well, Riyad Mahrezs English wife is apparently struggling with it. The life style of a top players wife over there is pretty different to Europe.

Throw in low crowds and poor quality football and it certainly seems to me that it will be a bit of a flash in the pan.

Bottom line is really top players will still earn a fortune in Europe. Is the prospect of having even more money that you’ll never realistically need or even be able to spend that attractive?
Great post and thx for the info.
However, I suspect the Saudis will improve/fix some some of the issues…….except women’s rights of course,( they don’t want to get carried away now, do they?).

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I agree there, I love how we're playing right now. But do we want to be a 'hit on the break' type team that will always limit to how far it will take us or do we want to press high and take the game to teams which has a much higher ceiling?

You just can't press like that as a 3/5 at the back team, you need the extra man up front or in midfield that just leaving 2 at the back affords you. It's not just the pressing, having the extra man forward also lets you keep recycling the ball if it's cleared out of their box etc. Relentless pressure which eventually breaks teams down. It's how pretty much all of the top teams play nowadays post-Klopp.

GON clearly wants to be the latter (and he needs to be if he has aspirations of managing any of the big clubs one day). But do Wolves have the budget to allow him to do that? we'll see!

WorcesterWanderer

Reaction score
Big fan of Nketiah, really hope we get him because I think he'd shine under GON. I think he'd be fantastic for us and I honestly think he could have the best spell of his career for us.

Back
Top Bottom