Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Nuno Third Choice?

Goodbye Horse

Reaction score
Just putting it out there but was Nuno Fosun's third choice as manager?
Their first choice was Julen Lopetegui who took the Spanish job and then there was several attempts to get Marco Silva to pick up the project but if I remember correctly he wouldn't drop down to the Championship. And finally Nuno was given the role.
I wonder how we would have faired under the other two and would anyone prefer either Julen or Marco?
I

Lupo Italiano

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't think he was third choice, he was busy with Porto at the time. As for preferring the other 2, how could we? Who knows how they would have faired but couldn't have been better plus Silva is a stepping stone manager, proven by his reluctance to drop down for the project where Nuno did.

Nuno is king

Nige100

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't matter he is well and truly out in 1st now. Think once Lopu went Spain Nuno was always on rader just had to wait hence season of chaos. 1st manager in ages given anyting other than 12 months rolling deal. Thank god he was as he would be snapped up in a heartbeat now. 3yr deal so you can all **** off. :D:D

Goodbye Horse

Reaction score
Lupo I really don't think that Fosun would have hired Lopetegui as a spot gap manger (in the mould of Zenga and Lambert) to wait a year for Nuno to become free.

Lupo Italiano

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lupo I really don't think that Fosun would have hired Lopetegui as a spot gap manger (in the mould of Zenga and Lambert) to wait a year for Nuno to become free.

That's not what I said at all. I meant Lopetegui was their choice at that point, not that Nuno was 2nd or 3rd choice or that Lopetegui was a caretaker but he was their original choice. When that fell through and Silva too we ended up with Zenga and Lambert. During this period, Nuno came on the radar

Lupo Italiano

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not suggesting for one minute they would have appointed Lopetegui as a caretaker whilst waiting for Nuno

NavyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lopetegui was Fosuns 1st choice that summer, he wouldn't have been a stop gap and would have been hired on a long term deal and would have been given full remit ala Nuno.
He certainly wouldn't have been a Lambert or Zenga!

OscillatingWildly

Reaction score
It's all a question of timelines, Lopetegui was who they wanted at the outset but understandably working with Dave Silva was more attractive than working with Dave Edwards. You're not going to prise a manager in the Champions League away from his club in mid-season to go and work in the Championship so Nuno wasn't even a factor in Oct/Nov 2016.

From last spring Nuno was unequivocally our number one choice and we got him.

J

JC14M5 Wolf

Nuno rolls off the tongue and is easy for a sing song.

Had we got Lopetegui our repertoire would have been limited to umm...

It was fate at its best. Could not have worked out better

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Marco Silva seems to be collecting a lot of negative baggage. His next move could be very vital as to whether he is good managerial material or not.

Lupo Italiano

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Marco Silva seems to be collecting a lot of negative baggage. His next move could be very vital as to whether he is good managerial material or not.

No great shakes at Hull then goes to Watford and within a couple of months is touting himself for the Everton job and subsequently gets the sack from Watford. So far not in Nuno's class

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Of course Nuno was third choice but if we couldn't get Bruce or Warnock we just had to settle for third best.;):p

OscillatingWildly

Reaction score

Not sure why he's being painted as the Littlest Hobo of management (you might care to cast your eyes in the direction of Lee Johnson or going further back, Steve Bruce for that award):

Three years at Estoril. Superb success. Moves to...

Sporting. One year there and they sack him because the chairman is an oddball.

One year at Olympiacos, no-one really wants to spend a great deal of time in Greek football if they can help it.

Goes to Hull while unemployed. Does his best to save them. Gives them a better chance than they had any right to expect with that squad and those resources. Contract up, off he goes.

Great start with Watford (who have a record of ditching managers who they deem inexpedient), Everton approach him...do you really blame him for being tempted? Could have been handled better.

I don't think he's a mercenary at all, it's a very unfair picture to paint.

Lupo Italiano

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If, as expected, Silva gets the Everton job it will be interesting to see how he does next year with a bigger club

Goodbye Horse

Reaction score
Just shows how switched on Fosun are three top managers in a row compared with them up the road with Pulis, Pardew and Moore:(.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure why he's being painted as the Littlest Hobo of management (you might care to cast your eyes in the direction of Lee Johnson or going further back, Steve Bruce for that award):

Three years at Estoril. Superb success. Moves to...

Sporting. One year there and they sack him because the chairman is an oddball.

One year at Olympiacos, no-one really wants to spend a great deal of time in Greek football if they can help it.

Goes to Hull while unemployed. Does his best to save them. Gives them a better chance than they had any right to expect with that squad and those resources. Contract up, off he goes.

Great start with Watford (who have a record of ditching managers who they deem inexpedient), Everton approach him...do you really blame him for being tempted? Could have been handled better.

I don't think he's a mercenary at all, it's a very unfair picture to paint.
Unless I have missed something you are the first on this thread to link him being accused of being a mercenary. You do however present a CV that could point to being cautious about his management style. All I said was that his next move could answer a lot of questions about him. So far it seems to be balanced but with a question mark.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just shows how switched on Fosun are three top managers in a row compared with them up the road with Pulis, Pardew and Moore:(.
So far Moore has answered all the questions asked of him unlike Connor with his time as the manager to save us. Never mind though Horse as two out of three aint bad.:D

D

Deleted member 4152

So. Fosuns third choice was Nuno

And Morgans first choice was saunders.

What a muppet

OscillatingWildly

Reaction score
Unless I have missed something you are the first on this thread to link him being accused of being a mercenary. You do however present a CV that could point to being cautious about his management style. All I said was that his next move could answer a lot of questions about him. So far it seems to be balanced but with a question mark.

You said he was "collecting negative baggage", as he did well at all of his clubs prior to Watford (where he also did well until his head was turned) then I can't think what else you were referring to.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So. Fosuns third choice was Nuno

And Morgans first choice was saunders.

What a muppet
What a difference between Morgan and Fosun as to the direction of how a club could be run. I always felt that Morgan relied upon Mad Mick to take this club to heaven without direction from the ownership. When he realised that Mick was a spent force with us their was no back up and the whole thing fell apart.
Fosun didn't get it right at the beginning but they seemed to learn from this, set an interim plan and then Nuno'ed us towards our rightful home. :cool::D

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You said he was "collecting negative baggage", as he did well at all of his clubs prior to Watford (where he also did well until his head was turned) then I can't think what else you were referring to.
Yes i have only known of his experience in England and whether rightly or wrongly it has not been very positive so far. I am looking at it objectively and both at Hull and Watford there have been positive and negative aspects of his time there. When I used the phrase negative baggage I was referring to the way it has been perceived on the whole. For example he appeared to take Hull to the brink of safety but not quite succeeded. He appeared to be doing okay with Watford until the Everton approach.

Lupo Italiano

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fosun didn't get it right at the beginning but they seemed to learn from this, set an interim plan and then Nuno'ed us towards our rightful home. :cool::D

For me, it's not that they didn't get it right, more that their plan was to install Lopetegui who then chose the Spain job on the day the takeover was completed and 2nd choice Marco Silva was not interested in dropping to the Championship which left them with rushing into the Zenga appointment and then when that failed, bringing in Lambert to steady the ship whilst talking to their new target Nuno in the background - I believe they were in contact with Nuno from February if not earlier

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me, it's not that they didn't get it right, more that their plan was to install Lopetegui who then chose the Spain job on the day the takeover was completed and 2nd choice Marco Silva was not interested in dropping to the Championship which left them with rushing into the Zenga appointment and then when that failed, bringing in Lambert to steady the ship whilst talking to their new target Nuno in the background - I believe they were in contact with Nuno from February if not earlier
Is what I meant by not getting it right. They did not have a feasible back up to Lopetegui not joining which was hard to predict as it went down to the wire. If the takeover had been completed earlier he would most likely have been our manager. Silva could not be considered as our 2nd choice if he was not interested and therefore led to what you have said above for the rest of the season.

Back
Top Bottom