Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Nuno goes to Forest

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bar Marcelino reign.....he got them 4th twice ....so 7 out of 8 managers since have been worse ...

(As Ive said before give us another 7 or 8 season, we won't look back on Lage 10th placed finishes being the disaster it was made out to be)....
So Nuno is the same as Marcelino. Got it

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Poor move for Nuno. He won’t get the love from their fans that he did ours.
We didn't 'love' him at first as hardly anyone had heard of him. He won the 'love' from us by his manner and style and of course winning football. Will have to do the same at Florist, although I hope not this season.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So Nuno is the same as Marcelino. Got it
Never said that.....said he was better than 7 out the 8 managers Valencia have had since ...

But its a bit more complicated than that..... Valencia have had massive financial problems and stopped using the likes of Mendes and have slumped massively.... because the players they are signing ain't as good as the mendes ones.....

(Some might say similar to us and where we are heading)..

wwfc9

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We sacked Nuno.
We lost Lopetegui, who in case you missed it, issued a come and get me plea to premier league clubs just yesterday.

We now have GON, who could be great, could be awful. What he will likely never be though is anywhere near the calibre of the ones we let get away.

Such a bizzare few years at this club since lockdown. Personally, I wanted Nuno to be our manager for ever. He was the absolute perfect fit and unlocked something inside us all we had been waiting for years for.

Forest ffs….
Absolutely this !! Fan base has never been so as one as for that time between winning the championship and covid hitting , I’ve been going up since 1994 and it’s the only time in that whole time i can say I’ve witnesssed it like that , nothing before compares and doubt anything will again , the fan base got fractured once again when some started to get discontent during covid and it’s never recovered since …

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seriously?! We'd had a lousy first season with Fosun: Lopetegui turned us down, Zenga was interesting but bizarre, Lambert kept us up.
Aw man, I don't know why I'm arguing your point. Nuno was lucky?! We were lucky to have him and his coaches and to watch us build a football team that made Molineux rock and the world take notice.
Happy days.
I hate that he has gone to Forest, but wish him nothing but all the best, without forest ever doing better than us of course. I for one will applaud him when he returns to Molineux.
Hopefully as our coach in the future. I loved his humility and cannot help but compare that to the coaches that came after, including O Neill, who love to praise themselves.

Momentum? Fosun unfairly sacked Jackett in 2016 after getting us back up, then they had a go with ‘the ball is never out’ Zenga, and then annoyingly, they hired, then sacked ‘it’s everybody else’s fault’ Lambert.
At the end of the 16-17 season, we finished 15th in the Championship. If Nuno benefitted from ‘momentum’, it’s because he started it.
i am not criticising Nuno at all . But the project was the momentum. And in two years Nuno had a tight squad of very good players arrive, NFFC have a bloated squad . Even Nuno said today he is not used to that . So at least he agrees with me .

Last edited:

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"This is a very important job for Nuno. If he fails again it'll seriously harm is reputation"

What are you implying here then?
That he's previously failed?

If I thought he was a failure I'd have said something like

"Nuno needs this to be a success to shake the reputation he's got as a failure"

Eddie Howe failed at Burnley, that doesn't make him a failure.....

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
i am not criticising Nuno at all . But the project was the momentum. And in two years Nuno had a tight squad of very good players arrive, NFFC have a bloated squad . Even Nuno said today he is not used to that . So at least he agrees with me .
Erm…you share the same opinion that Forest have a bloated squad, not that he benefitted from ‘momentum’ when he took over at Wolves.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand the gist of that comment but in the context of "fails again " I suppose I could just point to a 48% win ratio at Wolves, 51% at Valencia and 55% at Porto.
He's not "failed" anywhere yet.
It's quite clear he failed at Spurs if he didn't last a single season. Not hard to understand.

You can say it's cause they wanted a different coach, but that's only cause his record wasn't good enough.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think a chairman is on dicey ground when he starts making demands of a coach to fundamentally change a playing style that has had real success, not least because he doesn't really know what he's talking about in that regard. More dubious still if it was some flimsy cover for his hope that a team would poach him with compensation, or that he wanted to sack him after Sevilla, but his fear of the backlash got the better of him. His job is to make tough decisions as and when necessary. I remember how he then became the head of the ill-fated three-man footballing department. I bet a part of him regrets his heavy-handed approach to the footballing side of things now.

Almost every time Wolves have switched to a back four, it has been a catastrophe. Nuno did it, lost his job at the end of the season. Lage reverted to a 5 and had us in the hunt for Europe for most of the season. Switched to a four at the start of his second season, was sacked after 8 games of it. GON began with a four, it was terrible. He enjoyed a dramatic improvement by reverting to a back five, now apparently he has been playing a variation of a back four in recent games which has led to a marked downturn in form again. You can almost set your watch to it. Lop was the only one to yield any measure of success from it, but pretty to watch it was not.
There's no dicey ground because he's the boss. It may not be the right ground to fans, players, etc but he has every right.

I agree we don't have the personnel for a 4.

The Clock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That he's previously failed?

If I thought he was a failure I'd have said something like

"Nuno needs this to be a success to shake the reputation he's got as a failure"

Eddie Howe failed at Burnley, that doesn't make him a failure.....
IMG_3472.jpeg

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s a free hit this season. Highly unlikely to get relegated.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's quite clear he failed at Spurs if he didn't last a single season. Not hard to understand.

You can say it's cause they wanted a different coach, but that's only cause his record wasn't good enough.
Spurs are a head case when it comes to managers so hardly a true yardstick.

Nuno was brilliant for us, and i fear will be for them

The Clock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Spurs sacked him to get Conte.
Simple as that
No one knows what would have happened if they hadn't.
But if you stretch your imagination and allow yourself contemplate if he had stayed in place for a few seasons with the same win ratio he would have been seventh in the all time list of Premier League Managers, using win ratio as the benchmark ( I'm not suggesting this would actually have happened)

Wall heath Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hope that on the last day of the season they get a hammering that gets them relegated. Nuno on the sidelines wearing a lumberjack coat and carrying an axe, laughing for the full 90 minutes, then at the full time whistle unveils his Wolves shirt and let's the fist pumps loose.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Erm…you share the same opinion that Forest have a bloated squad, not that he benefitted from ‘momentum’ when he took over at Wolves.
I repeat the project was the momentum . They all spoke about the project. That ethos ran through Fosun , Mendes and Nuno. And the players bought into it.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Spurs sacked him to get Conte.
Simple as that
No one knows what would have happened if they hadn't.
But if you stretch your imagination and allow yourself contemplate if he had stayed in place for a few seasons with the same win ratio he would have been seventh in the all time list of Premier League Managers, using win ratio as the benchmark ( I'm not suggesting this would actually have happened)
That completely ignores the facts around how poor spurs were. They got munched in the PL by anyone half decent as this shows.

Their style of play was poor, they weren't creating anything and weren't grinding out results either.

Yes conte was available, but Nuno would have been sacked anyway.

ricki herberts moustache

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gutted. Very good appointment by Forest.

Wish he was here instead of the current incumbent.
TBH as much as I love Nuno I wouldn't want him to come back. We can't keep looking backwards hoping to repeat the past, we must look forward.

He left with his legacy intact and he will now forever be a part of Wolves folklore. Let's leave that legacy as it is

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair to them Cooper took over a team facing potential relegation from the Chump and got them promoted. That to them is a bloody big deal.
Having said that l just don't understand why so many fans of other teams seem to underrate Nuno.

The way we played in his last season with him and his spurs stint is why people don’t rate him

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Quite emotional watching that short clip of Nuno at Forest press conference. Takes me right back to Aug 2017 when it all started and the best days of many Wolves fans' lives. Never want other clubs to do well but I want him to succeed at Forest.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Quite emotional watching that short clip of Nuno at Forest press conference. Takes me right back to Aug 2017 when it all started and the best days of many Wolves fans' lives. Never want other clubs to do well but I want him to succeed at Forest.
Somehow I don't.
I've so much respect for the man but will find it a bitter pill to swallow if Forest become a dominant force and second to Villa in the Midlands.

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I've just heard albion reject James Perch on the news say.. when asked if Nuno could achieve what he did at wolves

"I think so Forest are a much bigger club than Wolves and walking through the door Nuno will realise that"

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not disputing any of that.
But this is football.
That's nothing to do with performance.
Spurs had a chance for Conte, so sacked him. That didn't work so they sacked Conte.
In Saudi they bought a player to satisfy their own egos ( as is their right) that didn't fit the play. Be interesting to see how that pans out for Al Ittihad.
Calling him a failure is frankly absurd
Kane didn't respect Nuno and fell out with Conte. Ange is blessed by Horseface having moved on.....

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Going to put it out there . Nuno best manager I saw at molineux but will be get the time and resources to build forest . As for me we tapped into the Portuguese market before others did and did get lucky with a few gems . Now that market is scouted well and others use it then no coincidence we are sliding down the league.

Nuno best manager in my life time but my opinion regarding the player recruitment with Mendes and we had more resources than others in champ .

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The way we played in his last season with him and his spurs stint is why people don’t rate him
His last season at Wolves was injury blighted - we had no bloody forwards - and was about grinding out results. Very reminiscent of JL last season actually.

He was so poor at Spurs that we won the Manager of the Month award for August. Had Kane not spat his bloody dummy out but behaved like a professional rather than a spoilt brat things might have been very different.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've just heard albion reject James Perch on the news say.. when asked if Nuno could achieve what he did at wolves

"I think so Forest are a much bigger club than Wolves and walking through the door Nuno will realise that"
Who he? Complete non-entity!

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His last season at Wolves was injury blighted - we had no bloody forwards - and was about grinding out results. Very reminiscent of JL last season actually.

He was so poor at Spurs that we won the Manager of the Month award for August. Had Kane not spat his bloody dummy out but behaved like a professional rather than a spoilt brat things might have been very different.

Completely mate, but remember how many people care to know what was going on at wolves regarding injuries in the way they would one of the sky 6.

But again, when people think of his time at spurs he was there and gone in a flash and the fans really didn’t take to him either if you remember YouTube and social media on top of the Kane and dressing room crap he had to deal with there

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I read the Johnny Phillips book recently, this was the summarised(!) Nuno part;

- Nuno was the guy Fosun were waiting for according to Thelwell
- Opportunity felt too good to miss when it became clear he was leaving Porto (Shi was at his final game)
- Decided on three at the back immediately (it was something Nuno and Rui Pedro had worked on at Valencia)
- Implemented system in 5/6 weeks, anybody not on board could leave
- Lots of talk about how well drilled the players felt, how compact the system was, how we had a mid block, controlling the game without the ball, if one player moves, three others immediately move, planned press etc
- Jota used the 'can they do it on a cold night in Stoke' narrative to motivate himself
- Shi flew to Madrid to convince Atletico to allow Diogo to join Wolves
- Rui Pedro Silva recommended Bonatini based on his time in Portugal
- Siege mentality developed in the club due to criticism we were using Mendes/doing something different
- Doherty felt we would get promoted very early on, when we beat Derby away
- Lots of talk about notable bumps in road plus big wins at Bristol, Boro and Cardiff
- Plan was to get promoted in 17/18 or 18/19 but they did it in the first season

- Nuno identified we needed to play a bit deeper (5/10 yards) in PL
- Talks about how most managers bring a few staff with them but are encouraged to use existing support staff
- Nuno would use his own staff plus the internal ones he liked eg Antonio Dias/Joao Lapa working with Hayward/Perry
- Greater level of investment in facilities
- Resulted in hardly any injuries in first few years of Nuno era
- Players talking about how they had never seen anything like the techniques used by Dias/Lapa
- Speak very highly of Julio Figueroa - the mind coach who looked after the squad and the coaching staff
- Thelwell got us Dendoncker with Cardoso/Mendes securing us Raul, Moutinho, Rui etc
- Fosun trusted Gestifute
- Jeff talking about how Gestifute dont ask for high commission, yet we still need working relationships with other agents
- Home grown players blow away by mentality of the Portuguese contigent
- Jota thinks we got subs wrong at Wembley 'it was really frustrating because when I left the pitch we were in the final and then I couldnt do anything to stop us going out'
- We rallied post Southampton and made Europe when City beat Watford in final - Nuno put the Europa League logo in the Group Whatsapp

- There is a chapter on Europe and how our players loved it, but nothing of any interest
- Jota thinks we may have won it had Covid not happened
- Shi says Nuno hugely impacted by Covid
- Nuno had secured two seventh place PL finishes
- Shi thought about letting him go post Sevilla - but realised fans would be in uproar
- Nuno had one year left and asked for a bigger wage
- Shi was hoping a top six team would come in for Nuno
- Agreed to compromise - Nuno signed new deal
- Nuno agreed to change style of play
- Inference is that Jeff Shi insisted on a different style of play to take us further than 7th
- Had one month to implement it due to extended season
- Coady not sure if Nuno believed in it
- Nuno became more distant according to Jeff (performed better when they were in conflict, Jeff felt Nuno lost his passion)
- Raul injury rocked the squad, and Nuno
- Nuno wanted (and got) Semedo
- Shi claims Nunos relationship with his coaches was totally broken
- Rui PS does not deny this
- Players were worried about Nuno, thought he must be lonely, Nuno did not think football should be going ahead
- Decision made to get rid of Nuno post Burnley game (0-4)
- Nuno in tears as he informed squad days before the United game
- Coady says a culmination of factors resulted in Nuno dismissal (Covid, empy stadiums, missing family, enforced change of style, losing Raul and Jota)
- Coady and Adama went to see Nuno post Man Utd game and he seemed different again, smiling and laughing, relieved
Great summary, thank you.
I just don’t get the arrogance and ignorance of owners who have never played professional football, yet somehow think they can get a manager to successfully change a style of play. Managers and their coaching team have a style of play that they understand and should be able to convey to the team. They also bring in players with the right attributes to suit their style of play. Mourinho enjoyed success at Chelsea with a pragmatic, defensive style of play, whilst Guardiola is enjoying success at Man City with a more expansive attacking style of play. Despite them both being top level managers, I doubt Mourinho would be as successful trying to play expansive football, with the same for Guardiola trying to play more pragmatic football.

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If Nuno plays his 5atb, pace in attack swashbuckling style, Forest finish above us easily. If Nuno plays his 4atb, tiki taka wannabe style, I think there's a strong chance they get relegated.

Because I love him, I hope he does the former. Because I want Wolves to finish as high as possible, it would be helpful to see him do the latter.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Sounds like a Villa fan.

Back
Top Bottom