Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Nuno goes to Forest

Teddy Ruxpin

Groupie
Reaction score
nuno confirmed for forest

I've just been sick in my mouth...

I'm still not over him

Bill McCai

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We sacked Nuno.
We lost Lopetegui, who in case you missed it, issued a come and get me plea to premier league clubs just yesterday.

We now have GON, who could be great, could be awful. What he will likely never be though is anywhere near the calibre of the ones we let get away.

Such a bizzare few years at this club since lockdown. Personally, I wanted Nuno to be our manager for ever. He was the absolute perfect fit and unlocked something inside us all we had been waiting for years for.

Forest ffs….

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Bill McCai

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Because Forest are currently below us, and now seem to have appointed a better manager than we have?

JR WAS KING

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don’t forget Nuno was helped out rather generously too. We had no right to the likes of Neves, Jota and Boly in the Championship. Not running Nuno down, I love him but in his own way Cooper will have similar status amongst Forest fans.
We then signed Patricio and Moutinho and Jiminez for peanuts in todays market. He won't ever get favours like that again.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don’t forget Nuno was helped out rather generously too. We had no right to the likes of Neves, Jota and Boly in the Championship. Not running Nuno down, I love him but in his own way Cooper will have similar status amongst Forest fans.
Came here to reply similar. The budget is irrelevant if you are being given some of the best players in their position that have ever played in the Championship who are already Prem ready. Followed by bargains of Moutinho and Patricio, then Raul and Jonny loan signings. As you say, Nuno did an amazing job for us but it clearly wasn't on a shoestring when Mendes was involved.

Arky_R

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
they aren't very complementary of him on BBC comments.
Didn't see many positive ones

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We then signed Patricio and Moutinho and Jiminez for peanuts in todays market

Moutinho was an ageing player on huge wages, similar to Sarabia deal.

Jiminez, most on here were saying we overpayed at the time, certainly wasn't a coup.

For OP, was Boly a coup in the Championship, most Championship clubs pay bigger wages than the top European leagues.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well, at least he's nearer to his family in Portugal now.
Only ever been a flight away, problem was flights weren't readily available in his last season with us. Of course you know that, you just ignore it

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We sacked Nuno.
We lost Lopetegui, who in case you missed it, issued a come and get me plea to premier league clubs just yesterday.

We now have GON, who could be great, could be awful. What he will likely never be though is anywhere near the calibre of the ones we let get away.

Such a bizzare few years at this club since lockdown. Personally, I wanted Nuno to be our manager for ever. He was the absolute perfect fit and unlocked something inside us all we had been waiting for years for.

Forest ffs….

I think its unfair to say that GON cant somehow in the future be of the same calibre as Lopetegui and Nuno. When Nuno was Gary's age, he was at Rio Ave, and Lopetegui had just been sacked as manager of Porto. (and subsequently turned down the chance to manage us...in the The Championship).

Problem for us of course is that GON is at the very beginning of his managerial jouney. Its obvious for all that at this stage he'll make mor mistakes than when he's a few years down the line. Making those mistakes at a lower level than the PL is obviously less costly, which is why I was against this appoinment from the beginning. He shoud've learned his trade elsewhere, rather than with us.

BUT now that he's our manager, I hope he learns fast.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It'll be a tougher job than he had at Wolves
Absolutely. Especially as he hasn't got a summer to work with them and really needs to hit the ground running. They still have a huge squad too (I think) so getting to know what each player can do is also going to take some time.

Not enviable at all and I fear that his reputation will take another undeserved dent after this.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Moutinho was an ageing player on huge wages, similar to Sarabia deal.

Jiminez, most on here were saying we overpayed at the time, certainly wasn't a coup.

For OP, was Boly a coup in the Championship, most Championship clubs pay bigger wages than the top European leagues.
Boly would have walked into at least half the PL sides at the time. He was a colossus and a million miles from the type of player Cooper had in the Championship at Forest. As I said I’m not running Nuno down as he delivered beyond expectations but I can fully understand why Forest fans love Cooper and that being the case anyone going in is going to have a tough time winning them over.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The only 'gifts' were Jota and Neves, who were both very young and not guaranteed starters and benefited massively for playing us. They only go and be great signings if we go on and be a success.

We have seen the negative sign of Mendes without Nuno, with the Guedes and Trincao deals.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The only 'gifts' were Jota and Neves, who were both very young and not guaranteed starters and benefited massively for playing us. They only go and be great signings if we go on and be a success.

We have seen the negative sign of Mendes without Nuno, with the Guedes and Trincao deals.
None of which has any impact on Forest fans’ love of Cooper and therefore the environment Nuno will be going into.

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Only ever been a flight away, problem was flights weren't readily available in his last season with us. Of course you know that, you just ignore it

It was never an issue. Purely fantasy to help certain people cope.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"Nuno has big shoes to fill, in Cooper"

**** Off
To be fair to them Cooper took over a team facing potential relegation from the Chump and got them promoted. That to them is a bloody big deal.
Having said that l just don't understand why so many fans of other teams seem to underrate Nuno.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just shows how stats can be misleading. BBC reporting that Nuno was successful at Wolves with a win percentage of 37.7%, but at Spuds, Nuno lasted just 10 matches winning half of them (I.E. a win percentage of 50).

Jay Jay de Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just shows how stats can be misleading. BBC reporting that Nuno was successful at Wolves with a win percentage of 37.7%, but at Spuds, Nuno lasted just 10 matches winning half of them (I.E. a win percentage of 50).
Just like this thread is misleading now can mods or creator @Bill McCai of this thread change title from Stoke to Forest please!

Last edited:

yateleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Anyone else get the feeling lopetugui was first choice for forest as mentioned a few weeks ago....and dealing with Jorge , he put Nuno's name forward....

I don't think lopetugui was interested....
On Forest tv the presenter mentioned they entered talks but fell out about how much there was to spend in jan . I don't know if its true just passing it on.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On Forest tv the presenter mentioned they entered talks but fell out about how much there was to spend in jan . I don't know if its true just passing it on.
Obviously I'm not comparing the two Nuno and lopey....as blokes they don't compare ....but lopetugui has recently turned a team round in January so would be the logical pick ..but obviously he may be more demanding going forward ...Forest will have similar FFP concerns to what we had going forward....said straight away no way lopetugui would take the job..

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I am with Mark Twain where all those sorts of figures are concerned

" There are lies, damn lies, and statistics ! "

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't want to be salty over it.

Its very easy to come over all arrogant and run Forrest down. They are a bit like us, big regional club living on past glories. I have never been a fan because I used to work with a Forest Fan in the late 80's and he was unbearable. So, alongside Blues (for the same reason) I have historically disliked Forrest even more than Albion.

Putting aside my personal dislike of Forest, I do think Nuno will have issues with their owner in time. I also think that there are very few managers that are truly successful at multiple clubs. That is not because they bad coaches, its because its bloody hard for all the stars to align with the right players at the right time and everyone onboard pulling in the right direction with the right level of finance.

Its not that I don't want Nuno to succeed, its just there is no god given right he will. I would say the same if he came back here. Has he had his time in the sun so to speak?

He has a lot of challenges there. The owner may be an issue, he has lots of players, he likes a small squad so he is going to **** off a lot of players, and he may not get back all his previous coaching team that were very much part of his success.

Time will tell.

Good luck to him - as long as it doesn't effect us.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

He came on loan, with an option to buy. By the time we paid for him, we knew how good he was.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We then signed Patricio and Moutinho and Jiminez for peanuts in todays market. He won't ever get favours like that again.

Agreed on Patricio and Moutinho, they were unbelievable signings for a newly promoted club. But Raul at that time was mostly a bench warmer hardly anybody had heard of. Arguably, Sasa, Hwang and Cunha were all more well known and had more big club interest than Raul at the time we signed him.

wolfie_tc

Groupie
Reaction score
I'm annoyingly torn with this.

On the one hand I don't like Forest and would love for them to go down, on the other I love Nuno and the lack of respect he's getting from Forest and neutral fans is angering me, and therefore I want him to do well.

Ultimately he'll keep them up as there are worse teams in the league, and a new manager boost will be enough to get them to safety, so I'm sure he'll be seen as a success for doing the bare minimum there.

Dream scenario, he smashes it (but still finishes below us), a big team poaches him just before the start of the new season, leaving Forest in so much turmoil they have to stick to the Portuguese route for ease of communication and panic-hire Lage to rebuild the project.

Back
Top Bottom