Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Now is the time ...

Wenlock Wolf

Reaction score
The window is shut, the players are in & so are the coaching staff. It's going to be all about the training now. How quickly/well will they gel? Can they realise their potential?

The next phase has begun. It's all about teamwork, motivation, training .... Walter talks the talk ... now he has to begin to deliver it on the pitch. Early signs have been very encouraging, but can we kick on now we have more/better players and more time?

Exciting times my friends ....

D

Deleted member 4436

Very exciting. I'll look forward to a 0-0 draw at home to Burton.

On a serious note, we have to be realistic. The amount of players brought in during such a short space of time - it's going to take a month or two to settle down. I'd expect Wolves to have a rather fragmented next month or so results wise. I'm expecting the 2nd half of the season to be exceptional. I certainly hope so!

Aylesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The window is shut, the players are in & so are the coaching staff. It's going to be all about the training now. How quickly/well will they gel? Can they realise their potential?

I would hope that by the end of September those incoming players who clearly weren't properly fit upon arrival will be pretty much up to speed. This should then allow WZ to ease out of the team those remaining players from the KJ era who he doesn't see as part of his future plans.

If we can continue to grind out reasonable results short term then this should ensure that the team spirit is strong and enable the players to gel so much quicker.

My fear is that with such a large pool of players to choose from, WZ over indulges in squad rotation which could prolong the wait for everything to click.

If we can stay in touch with the top 6 leading up to Christmas then the new year could be a fantastic experience.

Hrothgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Now as the dust starts to settle after a whirlwind few weeks, it intrigues me that we seem to have been left essentially with Jackett's defence ( Ok Im including Stearman and now by the looks of things Coady there admittedly) plus a pretty much completely new attack and midfield. Particularly odd in the light of the silly goals we have managed to concede since Zenga's arrival ( and in full view of the new ownership!) especially as the "Italian Way" is generally founded on rock solid (often cynically so) defence?
Could it be that the defence has actually been OK all along (!!) (but just not adequately protected by the poor midfield?!) Does anyone else fear though that our defensive frailties have not been well- enough addressed in all this flurry of transfer activity? Sure we have Silvio ( who by his record may not play much!) plus a very young lad from United and another (second- rate?) goalkeeper- precious little investment really??

E

Essex Wolf

The players brought in are all from top clubs and aren't inexperienced youngsters. Yes it may take a little time to gel perfectly as such but just look at the massive impact WZ has had on so many players in a few weeks. They were all new to him and his ways to them yet the improvement has been sensational. There's nothing to say transitions won't go smoothly or well but if not I believe there's enough quality in the squad to allow others a bit more time if needed.

Sutton

Reaction score
I am confident for next two home games. Think there will be such a buzz inside Molineux that we will pick up 6 points.

Hear what you say above about defence but actually I think the combination of solid largely English defence with foreign pace and flair in midfield and attack will work well. Saiss will also improve our defensive record no end. Apart from Cav I think he is our best signing.

Hrothgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If it were actually remotely "solid" then I would agree with you!!

Tony

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we will always sign many players under this regime. The main advantage being that players wont be here long enough to get sussed out.

astraltrader

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Also it has to be a plus that we can now return to the central defensive pairing of Danny and Stears, clearly our best pairing in recent years.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Also it has to be a plus that we can now return to the central defensive pairing of Danny and Stears, clearly our best pairing in recent years.

True. Better than Roger and Gaspar for example, high praise indeed.

Seriously I agree, with all the players settling in and squad rotation a solid CH pairing who understand each other will be a great asset.

astraltrader

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
True. Better than Roger and Gaspar for example, high praise indeed.

Seriously I agree, with all the players settling in and squad rotation a solid CH pairing who understand each other will be a great asset.

A great asset indeed. The only question mark in what would otherwise be a no-brainer, is can Stears return to his pre-Fulham form??
I think he can although it might take him a few matches to achieve this.

Last edited:

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Delighted with what we have and given a bit of fitness conditioning during the break I see no reason why those who struggled a tad early doors won't push on to the standard that Bod acquired immediately.

Not concerned about a single thing.

O

OldWolvesfart

Walter has hands full all this new talent and then to make them gel and make the right team choices will not be the easy for him. Its going to be an amazing few games during September & October and the team predictions on here will be all part of the fun.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We're about a month behind most of the teams in the division, what with no preseason, a late start for Zenga to get his ideas across and a big influx to a previously threadbare squad, it will be another 3-4 weeks before we see the results of the transfers.
Of course Walter has shown motivational skills better than I anticipated, so I will second a much repeated line, "exciting times".

Elvis Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
IMO the two week international break, following the closure of the transfer window, couldn't have come at a better time as far as we are concerned. It certainly provides Walter and the coaching team, time to work with the new members of the squad and begin to integrate them into the system, before relaunching our season against Burton.

I realise that it won't be as straightforward as that but it does provide a breathing space, which should help with this process.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
The great thing about Zenga from what I have seen so far is that if it isn't working he will change it in the game until it does. Of course this is helped by the huge talent he will have at his disposal.

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very exciting. I'll look forward to a 0-0 draw at home to Burton.

On a serious note, we have to be realistic. The amount of players brought in during such a short space of time - it's going to take a month or two to settle down. I'd expect Wolves to have a rather fragmented next month or so results wise. I'm expecting the 2nd half of the season to be exceptional. I certainly hope so!
Just about bang on that for me, with the exception of your first line but think you was joking on that one

astraltrader

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I also think it could take us a month or so to really start to benefit from our new players. As long as we are still in touch with the top six teams at Christmas then I believe we will have a good chance of doing really well this season....

Back
Top Bottom