Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Non-Wolves transfers - Summer 2021

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Broadly sensible. The only thing is that you're saying next season will be almost the same as the last one. And (other than The Six) it never is :D I understand though, what else do we have to go on? Just would say there are always a couple of surprises in either direction. Like SHeff U last season, and West Ham. The problem is that it's a lottery trying to predict them.

One out of the promoted teams will almost certainly do far better than expected. Maybe Norwich this time? Based on how clubs who haven't been in the top division for decades start, I can see Brentford starting really well, then fading over the season. Similar to Huddersfield (and Sheff U) maybe enough to keep them up this season but not next.

The team for the surprising rise...well, Newcastle really surprised me in the run in (and it makes sense to look at form over that last couple of months) . They had a lot of players returning from injury and looked surprisingly decent. Can see them being comportable top half if they continue that and don't implode. Southampton went from 1st to edge of the relegation battle, I think this was largely injury related, though if they continue their second half of the season form, they will be in trouble.

Brighton - the whole world knows if they had a real striker instead of Maupay, they'd be comfortable top half too.

Yeah, I think you're spot on about the "surprise teams" - the current table always feels very set in stone, as if we'll always see something similar next year, but that's never the case.

I usually do a prediction of the whole league table with some friends, and we're always way out.

Things I'd actually predict:

Palace to go down
Brentford to be comfortable at Christmas, but get relegated
Newcastle to really struggle without their loan stars

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah, I think you're spot on about the "surprise teams" - the current table always feels very set in stone, as if we'll always see something similar next year, but that's never the case.

I usually do a prediction of the whole league table with some friends, and we're always way out.

Things I'd actually predict:

Palace to go down
Brentford to be comfortable at Christmas, but get relegated
Newcastle to really struggle without their loan stars

Also, I think the demise of Arsenal has been greatly exagerated. They are never away for long and are due their annoying return to the top 4. Never underestimate Arsenal!

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is any team doing bits yet?:D
Bits! How old are we :D
Leicester have signed a very good striker, Daki. And Bertrand
Villa have signed Buendia.
Norwich Gilmour on loan.
United getting Sancho.
Liverpool got that new CB in very early.
Quite quiet other than that.
United signing Sancho.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Broadly sensible. The only thing is that you're saying next season will be almost the same as the last one. And (other than The Six) it never is :D I understand though, what else do we have to go on? Just would say there are always a couple of surprises in either direction. Like SHeff U last season, and West Ham. The problem is that it's a lottery trying to predict them.

One out of the promoted teams will almost certainly do far better than expected. Maybe Norwich this time? Based on how clubs who haven't been in the top division for decades start, I can see Brentford starting really well, then fading over the season. Similar to Huddersfield (and Sheff U, Hull, Carlisle .. for the older ones) maybe enough to keep them up this season but not next.

The team for the surprising rise...well, Newcastle really surprised me in the run in (and it makes sense to look at form over that last couple of months) . They had a lot of players returning from injury and looked surprisingly decent. Can see them being comfortable top half if they continue that and don't implode. Southampton went from 1st to edge of the relegation battle, I think this was largely injury related, though if they continue their second half of the season form, they will be in trouble.

Brighton - the whole world knows if they had a real striker instead of Maupay, they'd be comfortable top half too. I think they will be clear of the drop, either way.

Leeds are a complete wild card. Seems to me equally likely they could to go up 4 places, down 8 places, or stay exactly the same :)

Villa. Too good to be in the relegation battle - and, despite strengthening already, not good enough to trouble the top 6.

Maybe I'm paranoid, but trying to be totally objective, if I was a neutral looking at the teams wondering who is going to be the one that falls from grace, nexts seasons Watford or Sheff Utd, I'd certainly be considering us. All the signs are there. Though there are still so many unknowns and transfer dealings to unfold.
The bookies are tipping us to be the side that falls from grace with 5/1 relegation odds most places.

I think they're poor odds and they'll lengthen....but it shows that we are at a real precipice. Arrogance from the owners (i.e we are premier league mainstays and we can conveyor belt youth) could be catastrophic

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The bookies are tipping us to be the side that falls from grace with 5/1 relegation odds most places.

I think they're poor odds and they'll lengthen....but it shows that we are at a real precipice. Arrogance from the owners (i.e we are premier league mainstays and we can conveyor belt youth) could be catastrophic

Fair odds. New manager with no PL pedigree, no signings of note, players rumoured for sale, poor form at the back end of last season.

A couple of decent signings and we'll be out to 8/1-9/1 maybe, but we'll be name-checked in a lot of pre-season pundit write-ups as the season draws near, and not in a good way. Feels very Wolvesy to back in the crosshairs as unfancied underdogs, be up to the club to rub everyone's noses in it.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fair odds. New manager with no PL pedigree, no signings of note, players rumoured for sale, poor form at the back end of last season.

A couple of decent signings and we'll be out to 8/1-9/1 maybe, but we'll be name-checked in a lot of pre-season pundit write-ups as the season draws near, and not in a good way. Feels very Wolvesy to back in the crosshairs as unfancied underdogs, be up to the club to rub everyone's noses in it.
We will absolutely be the pundits choice to struggle this season, especially when Neves/Patriko leave

Then again, we were the pundits' choice to break the top 6 last season so I suppose it counts for naf all

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We will absolutely be the pundits choice to struggle this season, especially when Neves/Patriko leave

Then again, we were the pundits' choice to break the top 6 last season so I suppose it counts for naf all

Yes, football rarely proceeds linearly, as I always say. o_O There's no logical way France can lose to Switzerland , let alone when 2 goals up with 10 minutes to go. All the pundits had Sheff Utd for a second season of mid-table consolidation and so on...

Interesting that it does seem to be "in the air" that we are on a knife edge. About a year ago Adrian Durham caused uproar when he predicted we'd be in the relegation struggle last season as at that point we were 7th, in the Europa League. That did seem crazy at that time. But now, I can understand any pundit going for us as the "surprise drop" package.

So many unknowns. Raul may return exactly where he left off, in which case, he alone is good enough to keep us out of trouble. However, we don't know that and it's probably more likely he will struggle and take at least a couple of months to get back to anywhere near his top form. There are going to signifiant changes in our team, too, both outgoing and incoming..well, if only outgoing and none incoming then we are bottom 6 strugglers, almost certainly. :confused:

Pintandkebab

Reaction score
Leeds United apparently in talks with 5 potential new signings! What I'd give for us to have this sort of potential news now. It seems dead at the club.
I would take in talks with 1 potential new signing at the moment .

The funny thing Leeds came up and had a decent season for a newly promoted club but they have not sat still. Seems as though the handbrakes on and we are not moving very far as a club at the moment . Lets hope Lage gets the backing he needs from Shi to recruit or he might be here a few months .

D

Deleted member yltz11841

I would take in talks with 1 potential new signing at the moment .

The funny thing Leeds came up and had a decent season for a newly promoted club but they have not sat still. Seems as though the handbrakes on and we are not moving very far as a club at the moment . Lets hope Lage gets the backing he needs from Shi to recruit or he might be here a few months .
If the manager doesn't get the backing it wouldn't make a difference even if Pep was in charge

D

Deleted member yltz11841

That's why he would last a few months
Would be no point getting rid though as if there is no backing nobody would want the job, unless its just for money as it seems like a lose, lose situation.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I think we will struggle. I'm expecting after 10 games we are already going to be in trouble. Really, really hope i'm wrong, and of course we could sign some real quality, but i think Fosun have got this situation totally wrong.

D

Deleted member yltz11841

I think we will struggle. I'm expecting after 10 games we are already going to be in trouble. Really, really hope i'm wrong, and of course we could sign some real quality, but i think Fosun have got this situation totally wrong.
It all depends if Bruno is backed, if not its more on FOSUN and Jeff rather than Lage as without any decent backing it doesn't matter whos in charge.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We could easily do that. I'm hopeful that the return of Raul will restore us to our glory, but I'd be lying if I said I'm not worried.

I'm not too fussed about the player sales; after the dire performances of last season, clearly something has to change.

I just have a sense that we are being rudderless and flitting from plan to plan.

Initially, the plan was to conquer all. Then it was to buy top quality youngsters, develop then and sell them on.

Now it seems we are doing something else - it's just that what 'that' is hasn't been specified yet.

Of course, if we start performing like we did in the first two seasons, all will be forgiven and glossed over. We have it within us and I'm hoping the new coach will make all the difference. It could easily go the other way though.

itsJoseph

Reaction score
Andre Silva going to Leipzig for €23m apparently

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Andre Silva going to Leipzig for €23m apparently
Agent fees bringing it up to 35m apparently. Makes sense for him to move to Leipzig, their new manager Marsch is also a Mendes client.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We could easily do that. I'm hopeful that the return of Raul will restore us to our glory, but I'd be lying if I said I'm not worried.

I'm not too fussed about the player sales; after the dire performances of last season, clearly something has to change.

I just have a sense that we are being rudderless and flitting from plan to plan.

Initially, the plan was to conquer all. Then it was to buy top quality youngsters, develop then and sell them on.

Now it seems we are doing something else - it's just that what 'that' is hasn't been specified yet.

Of course, if we start performing like we did in the first two seasons, all will be forgiven and glossed over. We have it within us and I'm hoping the new coach will make all the difference. It could easily go the other way though.

A reasonable assessment, overall. It's easy to forget with what came next, how clearly unprepared Fosun were in that first season. Things don't change that much! My guess is they hadn't realised how different football is to regular big business. Well, I suppose money always buys success, they hadn't realised how much was needed to compete at the level they wanted to start with. Nuno took the pressure off them and was the right man for building success stories and magical plans around ("no injuries here").

This "something else", the new plan, I wouldn't be surprised if it never does get announced. I don't think there is one, other than the proverbial notes scribbled on a scrap of paper . Like you say, if it goes well, they will all pat themselves on the back and crow about what a great job they've done. If it goes pear shaped, then it's always "market forces" and "things outside our control". Because this is perfectly normal for how big business operates!

Though it's impossible to predict exactly where we'll end up, I'd say it's a very safe bet we won't be top 8. I'd jump to take 9th right now and give Bruno the keys to the City as that will be an impressive achievement.

Superted

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Leicester at it again. Soyuncu potentially available for £43-£51M apparently. City interested.

Will easily fund their recent incomings?

Do City really need any more central defenders? Maybe Nathan Ake would become surplus to requirements?

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

One out of the promoted teams will almost certainly do far better than expected. Maybe Norwich this time? Based on how clubs who haven't been in the top division for decades start, I can see Brentford starting really well, then fading over the season. Similar to Huddersfield (and Sheff U, Hull, Carlisle .. for the older ones) maybe enough to keep them up this season but not next.

The team for the surprising rise...well, Newcastle really surprised me in the run in (and it makes sense to look at form over that last couple of months) . They had a lot of players returning from injury and looked surprisingly decent. Can see them being comfortable top half if they continue that and don't implode. Southampton went from 1st to edge of the relegation battle, I think this was largely injury related, though if they continue their second half of the season form, they will be in trouble.

Brighton - the whole world knows if they had a real striker instead of Maupay, they'd be comfortable top half too. I think they will be clear of the drop, either way.

Leeds are a complete wild card. Seems to me equally likely they could to go up 4 places, down 8 places, or stay exactly the same :)

Villa. Too good to be in the relegation battle - and, despite strengthening already, not good enough to trouble the top 6.

Maybe I'm paranoid, but trying to be totally objective, if I was a neutral looking at the teams wondering who is going to be the one that falls from grace, nexts seasons Watford or Sheff Utd, I'd certainly be considering us. All the signs are there. Though there are still so many unknowns and transfer dealings to unfold.
Palace could be in massive massive trouble. Vieira record is very poor and they can barely field a 5 a side team

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Guendouzi to Marseille. Loan with £10M obligation to buy. He's raw and a nob but that's a great deal.
I think the world would be a better place if all transfers were this candid and succinct instead of drawn out and overhyped. And that all managers have a "raw and a nob, but he'll do" pile that they occasionally fall back on.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

I think the world would be a better place if all transfers were this candid and succinct instead of drawn out and overhyped. And that all managers have a "raw and a nob, but he'll do" pile that they occasionally fall back on.
Yeah, he seems a nob to the opposition moreso than teammates. I know he got dropped for getting into a scrap in training but tbh maybe Arsenal need a bit more of that

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

There are 6 teams with shorter odds and Southampton are also 5/1. By my reckoning that puts us fighting with Saints for 13th place. That seems to be pretty fair to me as things stand, if anything it's quite generous.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

There are 6 teams with shorter odds and Southampton are also 5/1. By my reckoning that puts us fighting with Saints for 13th place. That seems to be pretty fair to me as things stand, if anything it's quite generous.
Yeah until we know the squad i can understand the bookies/punters position

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree, with the one caveat that I expect more from Bruno.

If we are happy to sack Nuno after his achievements, we are well within our rights to expect his success to be an upgrade, and for that to be demonstrated on the pitch.
Was not happy to sack Nuno and have little faith in either Jeff, Fosun or indeed Bruno at this point. Hopefully be proved to be a wetter but can't deny I'm worried.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's not that unreasonable given we finished 13th last season!

SB_Upper

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
United in for Camavinga apparently. Only £30M. Incredible talent, absolute steal of a fee.
Believe it's 30mil Euros, so even cheaper.

What is getting under my skin about United's spending is that they haven't been hit with any punishment for the ESL saga, and as an apology to their fans the owners are now going to spend a **** load of cash to potentially bring in Sancho, Camavinga & Varane.

Won't be surprised to see the other dirty 5 start spending big in the coming weeks as well.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Celtics Ajer is available for £15m apparently. We should be all over that. 6ft6, mobile and good on the ball. Only 23. Linked to Newcastle, Palace and few German clubs like RB Liepzig.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Believe it's 30mil Euros, so even cheaper.

What is getting under my skin about United's spending is that they haven't been hit with any punishment for the ESL saga, and as an apology to their fans the owners are now going to spend a **** load of cash to potentially bring in Sancho, Camavinga & Varane.

Won't be surprised to see the other dirty 5 start spending big in the coming weeks as well.

I wouldn't worry, united could sign who they want but while Ole is at the wheel they won't be winning anything.

D

Deleted member yltz11841

Celtics Ajer is available for £15m apparently. We should be all over that. 6ft6, mobile and good on the ball. Only 23. Linked to Newcastle, Palace and few German clubs like RB Liepzig.
The weird thing about Ajer when I have seen him play is that despite being 6ft6 I thought he was poor in the air which at that size you should be really dominant tbf.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

The weird thing about Ajer when I have seen him play is that despite being 6ft6 I thought he was poor in the air which at that size you should be really dominant tbf.
He looks like he'd be a good defensive mid to me.

Back
Top Bottom