Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Non-moronic punditry

freezin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've not read the article (so I may embarrass myself here) but I'm getting ****ed off with this really dull rebranding of defending

They're good with the ball and without the ball.

...so defending then?

D

Deleted member 3751

I've not read the article (so I may embarrass myself here) but I'm getting ****ed off with this really dull rebranding of defending

They're good with the ball and without the ball.

...so defending then?

I guess it's the subtle difference between actually heading, tackling intercepting and clearing (which would be defending) and controlling where the opponents go, closing off options, pressing them to play backwards etc.

Bournemouth game was a perfect example, 60% possession for Bournemouth, no examples of what you'd call outstanding defending from us, but Bournemouth didn't get a sniff of our goal, we were always in control

freezin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I guess it's the subtle difference between actually heading, tackling intercepting and clearing (which would be defending) and controlling where the opponents go, closing off options, pressing them to play backwards etc.

Bournemouth game was a perfect example, 60% possession for Bournemouth, no examples of what you'd call outstanding defending from us, but Bournemouth didn't get a sniff of our goal, we were always in control

I get what you're saying but that's still defending isn't it.

For example jockeying a player out wide and forcing them to play it out, or jockeying the ball out for a goal kick so the opposition can't get possession.

These are more about playing the space without touching the ball, but they are all about defending.

Shape, which is Nunos mantra is a variation on that same theme.

Don't click that rag
The S*n said:
WOLVES’ slight tactical tweak worked wonders against West Ham and makes them favourites to finish seventh.

I’ve said before how they are one of the best teams I have seen controlling the game out of possession.

Wolves were a different class in their win over West Ham

Playing a 3-4-3 to great effect, seven of their 10 wins have come with less of the ball.

And it’s seen them beat Chelsea and Tottenham, and get draws against Manchester City, Manchester United and Arsenal.

Against bigger teams who will dominate the ball, 3-4-3 with Ruben Neves and Joao Moutinho as the two midfielders works a treat.

They can stay tight and compact and set traps to draw defensive players out of position before hitting them on the counter in the vacated space.

Nuno has had his tactics spot on for the majority of the campaign

Wolves’ best results come when they have less possession in a match

But Nuno’s side have struggled when the onus has been on them to control possession – they lost to Brighton with 60% possession, Leicester with 57% and Cardiff with 52%.

They had to change as when trying to play more expansively Moutinho and Neves found themselves outnumbered and vulnerable too often.

Nuno identified the problem and we saw the tweak – a change from 3-4-3 to 3-5-2- come to fruition in their 3-0 win over West Ham.

Bringing in Leander Dendoncker as the extra man in midfield made all the difference.

Wolves should finish seventh this season… they deserve it

They had to dominate from deep, knowing West Ham’s defence would sit deep and narrow.

So the role of Dendoncker and Moutinho –both playing slightly higher than Neves- was to drag the opposition midfield away from the Portuguese playmaker.

Neves acts as the quarterback, and with a defence that sits deep the out ball is to the wing-backs, so creating as much time and space for him as possible is key.

Nuno brought in Dendoncker as the third midfielder for the first time against Liverpool in the FA Cup – and every game since it’s been a 3-5-2 for Wolves.

You might have expected them to go back to the tried and tested 3-4-3 against Man City, but for me it looks like it was used as a further chance to get used to the new system.

In games where they have more of the ball –they had 55% against the Hammers- they can now afford to be more expansive with that extra midfielder as insurance.

Wolves complete record £18m signing of wing-back Jonny Otto from Atletico Madrid

The dilemma they now pose is: track the other two midfielders and you leave Neves free in-between the opposition midfield and attack, but if you are too occupied with him then the space is for the other two in-between the opposition midfield and defence.

Moutinho and Neves make Wolves tick and when they are both able to get on the ball Wolves become a far greater threat.

Against West Ham Moutinho made 59 passes and Neves 53, whereas they only made 63 between them against Huddersfield.

On Wednesday they had the option of both and West Ham were unable to stop either.

This switch in formation has been great management by Nuno.

And while they will likely go back to 3-4-3 against the bigger teams, this change against those outside the top 6 stands them in good stead to finish seventh to become one of the best ever promoted sides.

D

Deleted member 3751

Yesterday's game another prime example of controlling a game without the ball

E

Eddie's Eagle

I won't read that ****e rag, but the way we manage the game on and off the ball is lovely to watch. Anywhere on telly you can watch a replay?

D

Deleted member 4184

Remember Reading finished 8th in their first season in the PL, has their been anyone else in recent times that has finished higher?

D

Deleted member 4184

Didn’t Ipswich finish 5th in the early 2000’s?

Might be a bit too early...nowadays you have City, Liverpool, United, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea which would be unthinkable seeing them outside the top 6.

D

Deleted member 6754 (removed at own request)

Anyone who watched this video on Youtube of Nuno explaining how Valencia beat Real Madrid probably saw the tactical change coming. It's identical to how we're playing right now, with Neves in the deeper role behind Dendoncker and Moutinho.

E

E is for idiot.

Anyone who watched this video on Youtube of Nuno explaining how Valencia beat Real Madrid probably saw the tactical change coming. It's identical to how we're playing right now, with Neves in the deeper role behind Dendoncker and Moutinho.

I see it slightly different to that. Donk seems to alternate between playing next to Neves and next to Moutinho. You could almost say he was a box to box player.

D

Deleted member 6754 (removed at own request)

I see it slightly different to that. Donk seems to alternate between playing next to Neves and next to Moutinho. You could almost say he was a box to box player.

I agree, but I think the majority of the time it's Dendoncker and Moutinho playing further forward. When he needs to, Dendoncker drops back alongside Neves.

Back
Top Bottom