Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Non league football.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I watched my first non-league game for many a year on Saturday and certainly my first one "supporting" a club, I had a great day really enjoyed it, but kept thinking maybe I should be at Stoke and kept wondering how we were getting on (my phone had no signal). I got to be at a match with mates who I wouldn't normally because they follow Villa or Albion. Does feel odd and a bit confusing as I'm considering going again, for over 25 years it's been Wolves and only Wolves, I dont really bother with any other football, but it would be so easy, a couple of beers, walk to the ground, walk back, home for six. Is this disloyal to Wolves, I've been priced out and can't commit to a season ticket. Just interested to hear from others with similar experiences.

B

Benson

I watched my first non-league game for many a year on Saturday and certainly my first one "supporting" a club, I had a great day really enjoyed it, but kept thinking maybe I should be at Stoke and kept wondering how we were getting on (my phone had no signal). I got to be at a match with mates who I wouldn't normally because they follow Villa or Albion. Does feel odd and a bit confusing as I'm considering going again, for over 25 years it's been Wolves and only Wolves, I dont really bother with any other football, but it would be so easy, a couple of beers, walk to the ground, walk back, home for six. Is this disloyal to Wolves, I've been priced out and can't commit to a season ticket. Just interested to hear from others with similar experiences.

I really enjoy non league football and can understand if some people have changed their venues Saturdays. If its a cost thing I cant say its disloyal.

I dont like when all the games in all the leagues have to play at the same time. I have been to teams like Telford, Wulfrunians and Stourbridge but only when the Wolves game been moved. Had been nice to do it more often, but guess the smaller teams had lost some local support if they had changed to Fridays or Sundays, so cant say they do wrong.

M

merseawolf

Of course its not disloyal. You are not alone in being priced out of football thats for sure.
I have been involved in some capacity at my local club all my life. I love going to Wolves when the chance comes but having played and still do for the vets ,managed, swept changing rooms out, marked out pitch, put nets up and down, cleared dog **** off pitch, cooked burgers and served beer been on commitee i would say the non league scene has been a big part of my life. I love the banter at the club on matchdays. Plenty of beer flowing and Soccer Saturday on. The kids and wife come up and meet friends. Yeah i love The Wolves but the non league local football also has a bit part to play.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I normally try and go to wolves home games but if we are away, I try and get down to a local team instead. Not had the best of luck with it so far this season.

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Where did you go out of interest?

I've been to Stourbridge a few times this season when they've played in the week or we haven't had a game. Whilst I wanted them to win but I wouldn't say I supported them in the way i do Wolves though.

It was particularly good at the early on in the season night games and with a bit of creativity I reckon they could have them absolutely packed.

D

Deleted member 5242

I know of quite a few Wolves and Villa who tend to watch the Glassboys these days. I have thought about it but have found myself picking and choosing Wolves games instead, apparently that makes me a fair weather fan, but I am cool with that :D

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Went to watch Stourbridge against Wycombe, as I said had a cracking day, the atmosphere was great and it was an entertaining game, I wanted them to win and loved the goal, but the defeat didn't feel any thing like when Wolves lose.

welwynwolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Many moons ago, and pre Bully, I got divorced and money became tight. Not being able to afford to visit The Mol very often, I tried very hard to support Barnet who were then in the Conference, and very local to where I live. It just didn't work for me. Wolves were in my blood and have been for over 60 years.

C

ChesterWolf

I watch Chester which is non league but not what I'd call proper non league. There is still segregation at home matches and most the away's, can't have a beer whilst watching the match, play a load of other ex league clubs and pay league prices. I loved the few seasons we spent at regional level being able to swap ends at half time, stand watching the game with a pint and pay a few quid on the gate.

S

ShropshireLad

I watch Chester which is non league but not what I'd call proper non league. There is still segregation at home matches and most the away's, can't have a beer whilst watching the match, play a load of other ex league clubs and pay league prices. I loved the few seasons we spent at regional level being able to swap ends at half time, stand watching the game with a pint and pay a few quid on the gate.
I used to watch Chester in the 70s and have sent a private message to you about living there. :cool:

Cotswold wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
I've been going to Wolves since the late 60's with my old man. From 84-2004 we had season tickets and went home and away. With a 60 odd mile trip each way, the old mans health leading to him not wanting to travel, the cost and my personal hatred off all things Sky, Murdoch and Premier league we don't go much now. Pop to watch Evesham United now and again or stay really local and go to the village games when I don't work. Still love the Wolves and was very, very happy Saturday but life means I'm priced out. Fuel, tickets, parking a beer and food for us is almost 2 days wages. I miss it like mad but physically can't afford it so have to go non league. Don't get excited about it but an afternoon out with the old man now in his 80's is better than The odd Wolves game on me own.

Sammy Chungs Tracksuit

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Years ago I used to go and watch non league games or lower league games a fair bit. Especially cup games. League matches used to be dirt cheap really and non lower league/non league cheaper still. I dont really think that non league is that cheap these days at £10-£15 a go against £25 for Wolves. I appreciate having a crack with some mates probably makes the day but if you like your football then a cheaper option still is a Wolves membership card and then you can watch the U23s at Telford for free though mostly night games of course. I've not been to see the U18s but dont they open the doors at Compton for some or all games? ..... i'd much rather watch up and coming players than non league myself.

L

Lincoln-WOLF

What's with the 'cost' comments. It costs me £18 to get into Lincoln!! I don't go too often for that reason. But the standard is quite good, and the new managers are superb; the Cowley brothers who both left their jobs as secondary school PE teachers. Interesting reading about thosr two, theh have bright futures ahead of them

WV10Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When I was at uni I watched Aberystwyth Town home and away (including Europe) I loved every second of it.

Now I occasionally go and watch Willenhall Town

M

Mr Wolf

My brother & a lot of my mates all play local semi professional leagues on Saturdays so I watch them a lot when I'm not at the Wolves game. I'm also involved quite heavily at a club on a Sunday morning. For me you can't beat it, had the chance to move to NZ & Oz a few years back but turned it down purely because of my love for football & the lads.

Looking for players on a Sunday morning if anyone's half decent, I'm too fat & old now can barely move this morning.

B

BigBadWolf

Go and watch Evesham when I can (usually mid week).
Had a great time last weekend, about 350 of us made the trip to Hereford in a top of the table clash, was around 4500 in the ground. A real good day out!

D

Deleted member 5242

My brother & a lot of my mates all play local semi professional leagues on Saturdays so I watch them a lot when I'm not at the Wolves game. I'm also involved quite heavily at a club on a Sunday morning. For me you can't beat it, had the chance to move to NZ & Oz a few years back but turned it down purely because of my love for football & the lads.

Looking for players on a Sunday morning if anyone's half decent, I'm too fat & old now can barely move this morning.

Bloody hell thats commitment (or stupidity :p) , I'd have been on that plane without a second thought! What league/team you involved in? I'v pottered around the Kiddi leagues for years but I am too lazy these days.

Baboon

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves is now and always will be my number one club but from a kid I was also taken to non-league (Worcester City) by my dad. I was fortunate enough to see them beat Liverpool 2-1 in the 1959 FA Cup 3rd Round and the memory has always stayed with me as one of my great football moments. Football supporting is very much about habit and we all have our individual ways of following the game. Watching non-league, when I'm not with the Wolves due to international weekends or lack of finance, has become an integral part of my football season and I find it a refreshing break from the less welcome features of the game at its higher levels. I've been to watch Kidderminster Harriers and Worcester City three times each so far this season and it has generally been a positive experience. In fact the 3-3 draw at Aggborough between the Harriers and National League (North) table-toppers AFC Fylde was tremendously entertaining with the game being rounded off by an 86th minute equaliser from Harriers' Keith Lowe (remember him?). But, whatever the merits of non-league, there's still nothing to beat the sheer passion of being part of that wonderful Wolves victory at Stoke on Saturday.

M

Mr Wolf

Bloody hell thats commitment (or stupidity :p) , I'd have been on that plane without a second thought! What league/team you involved in? I'v pottered around the Kiddi leagues for years but I am too lazy these days.
I spent about 2 years down under but emigration wasn't really for me in the end.

We're in the Wolverhampton Sunday morning Premiership, just struggling for players at the moment & the leagues top teams contain mostly players who get paid. We won't go down but, there's only 8 team in this league because others know they can't compete so stay the divisions below. We mostly only play to get ****ed up aftwards & talk about how **** we were haha.

D

Deleted member 4594

I spent about 2 years down under but emigration wasn't really for me in the end.

We're in the Wolverhampton Sunday morning Premiership, just struggling for players at the moment & the leagues top teams contain mostly players who get paid. We won't go down but, there's only 8 team in this league because others know they can't compete so stay the divisions below. We mostly only play to get ****ed up aftwards & talk about how **** we were haha.
Are Diffusion still the top side who pay all there players?

RedFlagWolf

Reaction score
Went to watch Stourbridge against Wycombe, as I said had a cracking day, the atmosphere was great and it was an entertaining game, I wanted them to win and loved the goal, but the defeat didn't feel any thing like when Wolves lose.
I also attended the Stourbridge game on Saturday and in many ways it reminded me of how football used to be.....

Caught the 9.53am Football Special (yes a real football special train) to Wycombe....couple of beers, great atmosphere and banter.

Couple of real ales upon arrival, fantastic game of football...lost my voice due to the excess chanting and all at very reasonable cost.

Whilst I certainly won't be stopping my Wolves season ticket I will be purchasing a 10 game ticket for £100 as I have worked out I can attend most of the home evening games as they don't conflict with The Wolves.

A number of my Wolves supporting mates have moved to Stourbridge due to financial reasons and I must say the cheap admission, great company, standing on terraces with a pint and hotdog is a very tempting ****tail (plus its in walking distance of home).

I even ended up wearing a Stourbridge coloured skirt as a makeshift hat and having my picture taken on a number of occasions....which was only mildly embarrassing!!

Weirdly, I have no sense of disloyalty between Wolves and Stourbridge but as a nipper I used to have a season ticket at Lye Town FC and that's more difficult to reconcile!

Last edited:
M

Mr Wolf

Are Diffusion still the top side who pay all there players?
One of them but they're behind Jacks Bar & Bentley currently who also pay. Then you've got the Casuals & Otter who generally don't pay but are both decent with big squads then the other 3.

As I say good for the Wolvo league that can attract good players overall but **** when you're trying to compete with them after a skinful on a Saturday.

TFWanderers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I used to watch Telford United in the conference, had some great times and then AFC Telford since that.

Also been to the Gay Meadow a few times. Stopped going when they started cheering us losing etc but went to Chester and Wrexham away with them.

Nothing comes close to watching Wolves. Maybe England.

Sutton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves are my passion and have been since 1953 and had season tickets for many years,I am now unable to go very often due to being priced out so I pick my matches to go to. I now live in Sutton Coldfield and this season I bought a season ticket which cost me £80 to watch 23 games. I find the family atmosphere brilliant and I have a nice pint with a chip butty at half time,and believe it or not the standard of football is pretty good,I am also back home by 5.30. There is a good mix of players that come from league teams at the end of their careers and academy players from league teams that didn't quite make it.

JAIRDUCOCHET

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Wolves are my passion and have been since 1953 and had season tickets for many years,I am now unable to go very often due to being priced out so I pick my matches to go to. I now live in Sutton Coldfield and this season I bought a season ticket which cost me £80 to watch 23 games. I find the family atmosphere brilliant and I have a nice pint with a chip butty at half time,and believe it or not the standard of football is pretty good,I am also back home by 5.30. There is a good mix of players that come from league teams at the end of their careers and academy players from league teams that didn't quite make it.
But don't that band get on your nerves ?

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think anyone saying they've been priced out of professional football and turning to a local non-league side can be called being disloyal.

It's something clubs like Wolves should address, it claims to be a local club, but really I don't think the cost of the match day experience reflects local incomes. Sadly it's not just Wolves, it's most of the sport.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Used to watch St Albans before my career took off. I have to say watching non league football is good cheap day out often see a good game by players who want to play football and earn their beer money for the night. Been to many wolves games and think if only they tried half as much sometimes this was after 0-0 home to rotherham :/

C

ChesterWolf

What's with the 'cost' comments. It costs me £18 to get into Lincoln!! I don't go too often for that reason. But the standard is quite good, and the new managers are superb; the Cowley brothers who both left their jobs as secondary school PE teachers. Interesting reading about thosr two, theh have bright futures ahead of them

Conference football is very different than the rest of non league though with most clubs being full time and a lot of ex league clubs. Prices aren't much different than league football really.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Lincoln are my 2nd team. Used to go watch them as a nipper. One of my mates from school is even the youth team coach. Hope they stuff Ipswich at Sinny Bank!

L

Lincoln-WOLF

Lincoln are my 2nd team. Used to go watch them as a nipper. One of my mates from school is even the youth team coach. Hope they stuff Ipswich at Sinny Bank!
Yea the good times finally seem to be coming back to the Bank. Been getting 7000 at home for League games recently, great to see.

astraltrader

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Leaving the great family of Wolves supporters aside, some of the most loyal and decent fans I know follow non-league teams.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Used to watch Pelsall Villa from time to time. I wouldnt feel disloyal for watching another team. I can guarantee you if my brother had never got his brain tumour I would have been watching him play for whoever he was playing for even if it wasn't Wolves. He was a very, very good footballer and turned down a lot of big clubs to stay at Wolves when he was younger and that was when we had a very poor youth system.

De Wolfs Mullet

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I follow Leamington who fortunately play in gold and black so I usually turn up in a Wolves shirt.

I quite enjoy seeing some of the ex-pros (anyone remember Dennis Bailey?), and also some of the up and coming youngsters (remember seeing an unknown Jack Butland playing for the blue nosed gits in the Birmingham Senior Cup).

I enjoy the banter of the non-league scene. It's a cheap day out and you can mix with the opposition and have a pint and a laugh.

T

TornadoTed

I go and see Hereford occasionally, before they went bust in the Conference and the phoenix club in the 9th and now 8th tier. The standard of football can be pretty poor at times but it's a good day out. At the moment they are flying and scoring lots of goals so it's pretty entertaining. I also go to Newtown in the Welsh Premier now and again , they are my closest 'decent' club.

Wiltshire Wolfie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I go and see Stafford Rangers a few times each season, good fun and banter in the various teams clubhouses home and away and cheap at £6 for OAP's like me. Stress free too......:)

Back
Top Bottom