Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

No more FA Cup on terrestrial TV

thommo1984

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score

StaffordWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wouldn't mind if these channels weren't so expensive. I only really watch football so it's an absolute rip off by the time you've got sky sports, BT sports and Amazon prime.

Looks like I'll have to find alternative means of watching the FA Cup now as well.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Reported on the BBC as a combined deal with a free to air viewer who hasn't been announced - that's pretty odd to me. Maybe some obscurish Freeview channel? It'll be another nail in the coffin for the FA Cup though I expect. Final has to be on free to air TV doesn't it?

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some things should be free to view on the mainstream channels. The FA Cup is the oldest and best cup competition and it is a great shame that football has sold some more of its soul. You can almost guarantee that the games shown free will not be the most exciting looking ones when the draw is made.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Reported on the BBC as a combined deal with a free to air viewer who hasn't been announced - that's pretty odd to me. Maybe some obscurish Freeview channel? It'll be another nail in the coffin for the FA Cup though I expect. Final has to be on free to air TV doesn't it?
Yes, the FA Cup final is part of the "Crown Jewels of Sport' and has to be shown on free to air TV (as the law stands at the moment). Current football that is included in the crown jewels are:

Category A events (must have live coverage made available to free-to-air channels, although pay television networks may share live coverage).

FIFA World Cup (all matches)
FIFA Women's World Cup (all matches)
UEFA European Championship (all matches)
FA Cup Final
Scottish Cup Final (in Scotland only)

Category B events (can be shown on pay television, provided sufficient secondary coverage (highlights, delayed broadcast, etc.) is made to free-to-air broadcasters.

UEFA Nations League
UEFA European Championship Qualifiers
UEFA Women's Championship
UEFA European Under-21 Championship
UEFA Youth European Championships
FIFA World Cup qualification

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
As others have mentioned the whole subscription is ridiculous, Amazon is the only one which is value for money due to the next day delivery etc.

I really think the football authorities will have to rethink the strategy with the ridiculous prices for each subscription, would a Netflix style subscription be the answer? Pay 20 quid a month for your own team a bit more for all games and cut out the middle man sky sports BT etc.... don't know how it would work with competition law though.

It's also not particularly difficult to access broadcasts like it was 10 years or so ago.

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, the FA Cup final is part of the "Crown Jewels of Sport' and has to be shown on free to air TV (as the law stands at the moment). Current football that is included in the crown jewels are:

Category A events (must have live coverage made available to free-to-air channels, although pay television networks may share live coverage).

FIFA World Cup (all matches)
FIFA Women's World Cup (all matches)
UEFA European Championship (all matches)
FA Cup Final
Scottish Cup Final (in Scotland only)

Category B events (can be shown on pay television, provided sufficient secondary coverage (highlights, delayed broadcast, etc.) is made to free-to-air broadcasters.

UEFA Nations League
UEFA European Championship Qualifiers
UEFA Women's Championship
UEFA European Under-21 Championship
UEFA Youth European Championships
FIFA World Cup qualification
Every time the money comes out for my TV licence it's like a kick in the crown jewels, paying for that waste of space

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have BT in the house so I get their TNT Sports package but I only watch it for Wolves games (perhaps 2 or 3 a season). Can't afford Sky as well but do pay NOW per game (£12) if Wolves are on. With Amazon Prime I subscribe before a Wolves game and cancel after. The system is driving people to watch on illegal streams. One day football will come into the real world and all Prem games will be shown live, at a price of course. I just don't get it; most if not all Prem games sell out so who loses if the matches are shown on tv to fans who can't get tickets?

Pete

Groupie
Reaction score
people will be priced out, people won't pay subscriptions, TV companies will not pay big money for TV deals. This will mean a break up of the group selling meaning the big clubs will get their own deals meaning they get riched and sod everyone else.

Brockmoorwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Bit sad about that, really. Although "the final will be available on TNT Sports and free-to-air".

the article says tnt and free to air will have a choice of games from the 1st round to the final.

Nothing to see here....

SilverstoneWolf

Reaction score
Anyone know date when April TV matches released? Desperate to know if the Arsenal game will be moved....

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It still annoys me that the semi finals are at Wembley and the final kick off time is no longer 3pm and hasn’t been for years.

I hate change.

Agreed. Wembley should be for the finals, not the semi finals. What was wrong with waiting to see who the semi finalists were and then selecting a neutral venue for them?

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It still annoys me that the semi finals are at Wembley and the final kick off time is no longer 3pm and hasn’t been for years.

I hate change.
I used to watch it religiously as a kid the final, like we all did....but honestly I probably haven't watched it fully in years.....as it's normally the same few boring teams......think the only one I watched was the arsenal v Chelsea one a few years back ...the one when we would have got in Europe had Chelsea won...

Any interest I have in the cup is dead , once we are out......

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
the article says tnt and free to air will have a choice of games from the 1st round to the final.

Nothing to see here....

Well if TNT get first choice in every round, it might shift the Scummy 6 off free to view.

BBC just show Man Yoo every round anyway at the moment.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

What they do in Australia for prime sports is show the obligated games free-to-air online and on an obscure Freeview partner channel with an SD picture and single sound channel, but if you subscribe you get UHD and all the other works.

The FA Cup here is on Paramount+ which is pure subscription. I watched the albion match on a 7 day trial but have extended and paid for a month to cover the Brighton match. To get my money's worth I am using PlayOn to record all their other decent series so i can watch them after i've cancelled the sub....hopefully after 25th May !!

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I used to watch it religiously as a kid the final, like we all did....but honestly I probably haven't watched it fully in years.....as it's normally the same few boring teams......think the only one I watched was the arsenal v Chelsea one a few years back ...the one when we would have got in Europe had Chelsea won...

there was something magical about FA Cup day, right from when Swap Shop started at about 9am...
Now, with so many other distractions and methods of watching, there is little magic left.
Wembley redevelopment and Government didn't help that, they broke all their promises about keeping Wembley special in order to retain it (maintain our heritage, keep it for the final, keep the Twin Towers...oh sorry we're knocking them down and you can all FO) and now have to whore it out at every opportunity to pay back the debt. Consquentially nobody really gives a **** anymore except for the 30,000 or so from each club that can manage to get a final ticket. On TV it's just another game.

RutlandWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Well if TNT get first choice in every round, it might shift the Scummy 6 off free to view.

BBC just show Man Yoo every round anyway at the moment.
So will TNT though. It's a large fan base plus glory hunters who only know about the big 6 to sell advertising.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
there was something magical about FA Cup day, right from when Swap Shop started at about 9am...
Now, with so many other distractions and methods of watching, there is little magic left.
Wembley redevelopment and Government didn't help that, they broke all their promises about keeping Wembley special in order to retain it (maintain our heritage, keep it for the final, keep the Twin Towers...oh sorry we're knocking them down and you can all FO) and now have to whore it out at every opportunity to pay back the debt. Consquentially nobody really gives a **** anymore except for the 30,000 or so from each club that can manage to get a final ticket. On TV it's just another game.
It's a Knockout, those were the days. Mind you London v Manchester every year would get a bit silly!

Mancwolf56

Groupie
Reaction score
It's a Knockout, those were the days. Mind you London v Manchester every year would get a bit silly
You watched Swap Shop and not TISWAS!

GV Wolf

Reaction score

Yes, it’s a shame about the fa cup, I can’t even tell ya who won it last year. People forget now but back in the 70s/early 80s there was no live football apart from European games and England games. It was a truly magical day to have a live football game, let alone a cup final. Of course it’s all changed now.

Watfordfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I don’t think the FA would dare not have any games on FTA TV but will no doubt want as much money as possible.

Apparently the FTA channel will get 2/3 games potentially with TNT having first pick ( the big teams obviously)

Back
Top Bottom