Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

No EFL 'New Deal'

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Eh? It works great because financially they are strong and the product produces year on year. Attendances are great as well, even non professional teams have games getting 100k plus in the stadium every week. What bit didn't you understand?
A country of 400m, I’m not surprised it’s big attendances. It’s not for me same teams over and over and over again. It’s why most people in Europe give credence to basketball or baseball players when yanks say they’re greats of sport! It’s dull

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A country of 400m, I’m not surprised it’s big attendances. It’s not for me same teams over and over and over again. It’s why most people in Europe give credence to basketball or baseball players when yanks say they’re greats of sport! It’s dull

In your opinion. That doesn't make it dull. It is a fact financially they **** all over us sports wise. So perhaps we could learn a thing or two instead of being so close minded about it.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In your opinion. That doesn't make it dull. It is a fact financially they **** all over us sports wise. So perhaps we could learn a thing or two instead of being so close minded about it.

They are closed shop leagues, with zero regulatory oversight, so they can set the rules to print money. Salary caps, forced player moves, franchise auctions, monopolistic media rights, the list is endless. The PL competes with leagues across Europe, and any move to end promotion and relegation has been blocked by public opinion and the state. The US clubs get state authorities to build their multi billion dollar stadiums, while European clubs borrow billions to build theirs. US audiences are, for the most part, uninterested in the world outside their state, never mind outside the US. They lap up garbage sport because it’s what they know.

Jeez, if the US sports couldn’t more make money given those advantages, they might as well give up.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We could learn off them! What’s the biggest global sport? It’s football? Then let them learn how to do the biggest and best sport in the world! One they still can’t get right, the MLS, is league one at best, I know I’ve been to a game! I went to baseball at tampa bay rays with a crowd of 6,000, and don’t start me on netball. I enjoyed the baseball at Toronto but then that wasn’t in America! Jonathan Spector was one of the big names in the MLS game I went to, I rest my case!

Diana Ross USA 94, that sums up American sport

Bradstonian

Reaction score
I would rather put my *******s in a deep fat fryer for 30 mins than spend the same time watching the boring turgid rugby ripoff that is the NFL. Dulux drying is orders of magnitude more exciting and interesting.
You'd have to have very long legs, or stand on a chair. Even then I can't see that it would be possible.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Now who were the fools suggesting American sports were better than football?

Some of the best FA Cup football in living memory, even if we were on the receiving end. US Sports are crap by comparison.

Sammy Chungs Tracksuit

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you remove parachute payments then relegated teams will be hit by a double whammy of having to sell all their best players and facing a ffp penalty as they still have players on high wages they are unable to shift.

Is this about giving top tier championship teams an extra 10 million a season to gamble? What happens to the teams who are 1 year into their three year parachute payments? Do they get to keep the future payments.
Relegated teams often dont have saleable players. Case in point being the team McCarthy, Clipboard, Solbakken and Saunders got us double us relegated with. None of the players were in demand from Premier League clubs and lower tier clubs couldnt get anywhere near their Premier League wages. Yeovil got promoted from League One with a total annual budget for their entire club of around £1m. Kenny Jackett's League One bomb squad would have been on at least 5 times that.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just wait until the regulator gets stuck in. This will be worse than VAR. it will ensure the EPL gradually loses its international dominance.

Spitfire

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Couldn't this be derailed by FIFA/UEFA's insistence on no government interference in football.
Other countries have been banned from international competition for government interference.
Presumably the authorities have thought of this?

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Couldn't this be derailed by FIFA/UEFA's insistence on no government interference in football.
Other countries have been banned from international competition for government interference.
I am sure our regulator will get around that problem by doing nothing important.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Re your last sentence l bet that they haven't or don't care - politicians desperate for votes don't always.

Re the rest, it absolutely could and elsewhere l have predicted issues with FIFA within a couple of years.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm assuming the regulator will be set up in the same way as Ofcom or similar, with its terms and conditions set by parliament but run independently from government and without government interference. At least that's the theory

Back
Top Bottom