Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

NFL *Runs for cover*

Derbywolf85

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Given that this years international series games have just been announced for Wembley and Spurs Stadium, wondering if any of my fellow Mixers are fans of the NFL?

I'm a Bengals fan (largely due to the colour scheme) and only got in to the game about 4 years ago. I also follow the Jaguars as they are regulars in the UK and it gives me an excuse to go to at least one intenrational series game each year :D

Will any of you be attending the International Series Games this year?

Lofty wolf

Reaction score
Bears fan here.
Hopefully get to see them in the flesh for the first time
Registered for tickets ages ago

stever

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yep, I'll be there. Raiders fan

Sheriff Woody

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Given that this years international series games have just been announced for Wembley and Spurs Stadium, wondering if any of my fellow Mixers are fans of the NFL?

I'm a Bengals fan (largely due to the colour scheme) and only got in to the game about 4 years ago. I also follow the Jaguars as they are regulars in the UK and it gives me an excuse to go to at least one intenrational series game each year :D

Will any of you be attending the International Series Games this year?

I too am a Bengals fan, have been for years. They're my favourite way to ruin a Sunday.

I'll be at the game Vs the Rams at Wembley....................... Recently I've decided I hate Wembley though.

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Packers fan.

Will they EVER play overseas? (I know it can’t be a home game, but surely it will happen one day?)

Derbywolf85

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Packers fan.

Will they EVER play overseas? (I know it can’t be a home game, but surely it will happen one day?)

I would hope they come over here before the Rogers era is over...not too long left now :(

Scott in the Sand

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bucs for me, 'cos I'm a sucker for punishment. If I can get to Wembley this year I will.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am a 49ers follower and I am looking forward to next Thursday ( 27th April ) as it is the NFL Draft. Like all on here in these days of the internet, information and opinion is available instantly, unlike my " rookie " years back in the eighties when it was the weekly paper " First Down " or the monthly " Touchdown ".

Anyone else find it fascinating just how many mock drafts there are in the US media ? Could be a lot of them with egg on their face if the Cardinals do not pick QB Kyler Murray. If they do not pick Murray ( he seems a bit on the small side for my liking ) then I can see the Niners trading out of the second pick as some team could come up with a crazy trade to get him. Personally I want to see Nick Bosa as the pick for San Francisco.

Sheriff Woody

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am a 49ers follower and I am looking forward to next Thursday ( 27th April ) as it is the NFL Draft. Like all on here in these days of the internet, information and opinion is available instantly, unlike my " rookie " years back in the eighties when it was the weekly paper " First Down " or the monthly " Touchdown ".

Anyone else find it fascinating just how many mock drafts there are in the US media ? Could be a lot of them with egg on their face if the Cardinals do not pick QB Kyler Murray. If they do not pick Murray ( he seems a bit on the small side for my liking ) then I can see the Niners trading out of the second pick as some team could come up with a crazy trade to get him. Personally I want to see Nick Bosa as the pick for San Francisco.

Touchdown and First Down, there's a blast from the past. There was also a shop in Birmingham we used to go to from time to time, can't remember it's name now though.

I find it odd that the Cards are potentially going after Murray, especially after they drafted Rosen at 10 last year.

They were terrible last year but I'm not convinced much of that can be apportioned to Rosen, they should probably look at the pieces around him first.

There's plenty of talent in the first round worth going after before a QB in my opinion. Nick Bosa, Josh Allen, Quinnen Williams, Devin White, Rashan Gary, Jawaan Taylor all look top talents who could be great.

My Bengals need help all over the field mostly notably the offensive line (again!). Andy Dalton, whilst not being the best QB in the NFL is certainly much more capable than he gets credit for but he needs protection up front. The last few attempts at correcting that either through the draft or free agency have been pretty poor.

We also need a couple of game changing linebackers, a tight end, help on the defensive line, edge rushers and probably a project QB to back up Dalton. Not much really.

Watch us go an draft a corner back or safety in the first round now!

stever

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Let's not forget Greedy Williams at corner. Huge potential..hope he comes to Oakland

Sheriff Woody

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Let's not forget Greedy Williams at corner. Huge potential..hope he comes to Oakland

Yep, he looks at top talent too and has one of my favourite names in the draft along with Montez Sweat and Lil' Jordan Humphrey.

stever

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We've got three picks in the first round: 4, 24 and 27. Only Gruden can screw this up now

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We've got three picks in the first round: 4, 24 and 27. Only Gruden can screw this up now

I like the appointment of Mike Mayock who I shall miss on tv in this year's draft as his knowledge is incredible and hopefully he can find the Raiders some blue chip picks.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Touchdown and First Down, there's a blast from the past. There was also a shop in Birmingham we used to go to from time to time, can't remember it's name now though.

I think I know the shop you are talking of, they had clothing and other fan stuff for all the North American sports. I have some old Touchdown mags somewhere in the attic, when I can next motivate myself to go up there I will dig them out as the firm we are perhaps thinking of advertised in there.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Loved the NFL since the 1980s when I was a teenager and it was on Channel 4. Used to listen to games on the US Armed Forces Network on a Sunday night in bed and read Touchdown and First Down cover to cover. I'm a Chargers fan and was fortunate to live in San Diego for a year and have a season ticket for one season. Was unsure what I would do when they moved to LA (most San Diego based fans have ditched them) but I found myself still supporting them after the move. I went to see the NFL preseason games at Wembley in the 1980s and have been to at least one NFL game every year since they started the International Series. Planning on going to see the Bears v Raiders game at Spurs new ground next season. Bears were huge when I was a kid and my friend supports the Raiders, plus I want to see the new stadium.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Loved Wonder Boyo mentioning the AFN. I used to tune in every Sunday to listen to the games. Early in the evening the reception was very hit and miss but by the time 9 pm came around the signal had improved.

That said it used to drive me mad that the law of the sod took over as the incredibly annoying Spanish station signal getting stronger just as say the AFN commentator was saying " Second and goal for the 49ers at 7 " There would be an anxious wait, rather like when the Apollo astronauts would go around the dark side of the moon, waiting for contact to be regained ! My Mate is a massive Raiders fan and he would complain about how you could always seem to get perfect audio when the studio was reading out the college basketball scores but when the Raiders were on the march ( as Kev my pal points out they were not on the march too often with Mark Wilson at QB ! ) the reception was very scratchy.

I was only in my early twenties when I first discovered the American Forces Network so I was able to go to bed then wake up in the very early hours of the morning and listen to Monday Night Football if the 49ers were on. It was Jack Buck ( hard to believe his son Joe can be so poor compared to his Dad ) and Hank Stram. Being American radio even though the AFN did not take the networks adverts they would still be slipped in by Jack during the games. The three I vividly remember were.

Budweiser for all I do this Bud's for you.

Transamerica the power of the pyramid working for you

Then at the end of the game would come the award for the " Campbell's chunky soup " Souper " lineman

Back in the eighties naturally enough as a young bloke I would be down the local most nights. Not Sunday's though between September and late January I was in zone with earphones intently listening to AFN !

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Loved Wonder Boyo mentioning the AFN. I used to tune in every Sunday to listen to the games. Early in the evening the reception was very hit and miss but by the time 9 pm came around the signal had improved.

That said it used to drive me mad that the law of the sod took over as the incredibly annoying Spanish station signal getting stronger just as say the AFN commentator was saying " Second and goal for the 49ers at 7 " There would be an anxious wait, rather like when the Apollo astronauts would go around the dark side of the moon, waiting for contact to be regained ! My Mate is a massive Raiders fan and he would complain about how you could always seem to get perfect audio when the studio was reading out the college basketball scores but when the Raiders were on the march ( as Kev my pal points out they were not on the march too often with Mark Wilson at QB ! ) the reception was very scratchy.

I was only in my early twenties when I first discovered the American Forces Network so I was able to go to bed then wake up in the very early hours of the morning and listen to Monday Night Football if the 49ers were on. It was Jack Buck ( hard to believe his son Joe can be so poor compared to his Dad ) and Hank Stram. Being American radio even though the AFN did not take the networks adverts they would still be slipped in by Jack during the games. The three I vividly remember were.

Budweiser for all I do this Bud's for you.

Transamerica the power of the pyramid working for you

Then at the end of the game would come the award for the " Campbell's chunky soup " Souper " lineman

Back in the eighties naturally enough as a young bloke I would be down the local most nights. Not Sunday's though between September and late January I was in zone with earphones intently listening to AFN !
Brilliant NB! Yes the reception was always a bit hit and miss on AFN, it required a lot of patience and constant twiddling with the aerial (which probably made no difference!). If you'd told my teenage self back then that in the future I'd be able to watch every game live on a mobile phone with a perfect picture I'd never have believed it.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Brilliant NB! Yes the reception was always a bit hit and miss on AFN, it required a lot of patience and constant twiddling with the aerial (which probably made no difference!). If you'd told my teenage self back then that in the future I'd be able to watch every game live on a mobile phone with a perfect picture I'd never have believed it.

Loved your " twiddling with the aerial " quote, while it can make a difference with a modern digital radio I like you feel that it was no more than a gesture on the radio waves back then !

I remember when Channel 4 had the NFC Title game between the 49ers and Rams in 1990 live it was truly groundbreaking to have a live match other than the Superbowl or the the Wembley pre season game on live !

Beer Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I started watching from the mid 80s when Mick Luckhurst ( ex Falcons kicker) presented a show.
Bears of 85 were the hardest defense I have seen in all that time. That was when teams were allowed to play defense.
Lawrence Taylor was fearsome and wouldn't finish a game if he played now.
The Bears had a resurgent season last year, so I'm hoping for good things this year.

tamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Saints fan.

Never really used to be bothered by the NFL, but went to see the Saints play when I was in New Orleans a few years ago and have been hooked ever since.

Last edited:

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I misread the thread on the football forum and thought Wolves had signed the all time great corner- back number 21 " Prime Time " then after putting my reading glasses on, it was Dion Sanderson not Deion Sanders !

Last edited:

stever

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I misread the thread on the football forum and thought Wolves had signed the all time great corner- back number 21 " Prime Time " then after putting my reading glasses on, it was Dion Sanderson not Deion Sanders !
Ha ha, I thought similar earlier.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Raiders fan and I'll definitely try to. I spend more time paying attention to the NFL then I do football nowadays

stever

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How did people get on with tickets?

Got Raiders tickets this morning - yeehah

Sheriff Woody

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How did people get on with tickets?

Got Raiders tickets this morning - yeehah

I've got tickets to the Bengals v Rams game. I fully expect more Wembley based disappointment.

I've also got tickets to the Jaguars v Texans based solely on the fact I want to see JJ Watt play.

Beer Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I've got tickets to the Bengals v Rams game. I fully expect more Wembley based disappointment.

I've also got tickets to the Jaguars v Texans based solely on the fact I want to see JJ Watt play.
He's one hell of a player. A real difference maker, who pretty well always draws two defenders .

Sheriff Woody

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's one hell of a player. A real difference maker, who pretty well always draws two defenders .

He seems like he's one hell of a top bloke too.

The amount of money he raised following the flooding in Houston was phenomenal. He thoroughly deserved to win the Walter Payton Man Of The Year award a couple of years ago.

He's probably my favourite NFL player at the moment. He's up there with the best athletes but also he seems to have no attitude about him like some of the top players do.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Saints fan.

Never really used to be bothered by the NFL, but went to see the Saints play when I was in New Orleans a few years ago and have been hooked ever since.
I'm Saints too. Former season ticket holder, came back home the season we won the superbowl! So missed it.

Hate the international series games. The atmosphere is sterile and the fans it attracts are mostly weirdos. I'll not watch another NFL game outside of the United States.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm Saints too. Former season ticket holder, came back home the season we won the superbowl! So missed it.

Hate the international series games. The atmosphere is sterile and the fans it attracts are mostly weirdos. I'll not watch another NFL game outside of the United States.

I know what you mean about weirdos. I have attended two Wembley games, the Jags v 49ers ( I am a Niners fan ) and Raiders v Miami ( went with my 2 mates who are brothers and one is a Fish fan the other a Raider so I had the chance to stir the pot ! ) anyhow what I could not get my small amount of brainpower was why would you wear the colours of a team that are not even playing to the game ? It was a sea of Cowboys, Patriots, Giants and others at both games which I found strange to say the least.

stever

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know what you mean about weirdos. I have attended two Wembley games, the Jags v 49ers ( I am a Niners fan ) and Raiders v Miami ( went with my 2 mates who are brothers and one is a Fish fan the other a Raider so I had the chance to stir the pot ! ) anyhow what I could not get my small amount of brainpower was why would you wear the colours of a team that are not even playing to the game ? It was a sea of Cowboys, Patriots, Giants and others at both games which I found strange to say the least.
I think people do that as a show of popularity of the game by showing they follow a team.

Agree that the atmosphere isn't great.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think people do that as a show of popularity of the game by showing they follow a team.

Agree that the atmosphere isn't great.

My Raider supporting Mate was in a foul enough mood as it was in 2015 when the Raiders were woeful v Miami and his mood was blackened further as there were Bronco and Patriot ( mention the tuck rule game to him and he can swear for 5 minutes without repeating the same oath ! ) tops everywhere !

stever

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My Raider supporting Mate was in a foul enough mood as it was in 2015 when the Raiders were woeful v Miami and his mood was blackened further as there were Bronco and Patriot ( mention the tuck rule game to him and he can swear for 5 minutes without repeating the same oath ! ) tops everywhere !
We were awful against the Seahawks last year and we definitely lost home advantage as the Seahawks have a huge following here in the UK.
I fear the same with the bears game as they were a well supported club from the 80s when it first came on telly over here.

SmokeyGB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Big Bears fan since 1983, as a kid watching them were great.
The great Mike Ditka getting his team ready to rule, loathed by many, loved by the players only until Superbowl glory.
A modest 83 season, followed by Divisional title in 84 only to lose in the NFC finals, but then came THAT year of 85.
A year that was 15 - 1 (I think it was Dan Marino's Dolphins winning, not 100% sure) - You had the late great number 34 in Walter Payton, running so fluidly racing up the yards, Kevin Butler kicking field goals from 40/50 yards, the arm of Jim McMahon passing to Willie Gault
But the defensive line up that shudders many of players like Mike Singletary, William 'The Fridge' Perry and Richard Dent sacking all quarterbacks.
A few years of unable to continue the great teams, and fleeting renaissance in mid 2000 and then only last year 2018 a divisional title.

Up's and Downs like the Wolves i would say.

stever

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Big Bears fan since 1983, as a kid watching them were great.
The great Mike Ditka getting his team ready to rule, loathed by many, loved by the players only until Superbowl glory.
A modest 83 season, followed by Divisional title in 84 only to lose in the NFC finals, but then came THAT year of 85.
A year that was 15 - 1 (I think it was Dan Marino's Dolphins winning, not 100% sure) - You had the late great number 34 in Walter Payton, running so fluidly racing up the yards, Kevin Butler kicking field goals from 40/50 yards, the arm of Jim McMahon passing to Willie Gault
But the defensive line up that shudders many of players like Mike Singletary, William 'The Fridge' Perry and Richard Dent sacking all quarterbacks.
A few years of unable to continue the great teams, and fleeting renaissance in mid 2000 and then only last year 2018 a divisional title.

Up's and Downs like the Wolves i would say.
Unfortunately as great as Marino was and he was one of the greatest quarterbacks ever, he never won a Superbowl

Back
Top Bottom