Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

News about SEB

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
An interesting trend following Roger Johnson recently trying (and failing) to sue his knee surgeon.

There's notable differences between SEB's case and Johnson's.

But it still stinks of looking for someone to blame for events that in the past would have just gone down as bad luck.

SeaWolf

Reaction score
I haven't seen this mentioned before.

Shame, loved SEB. Saw him when we played away at Plymouth Argyle in 2007, just before we bought him, and was impressed.
The other player who impressed me that day was Michael Gray at left back for us.

Beastier

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That injury really was the nail in our coffin that season - I'm not sure we go down if we have SEB who was still a regular scorer in a struggling team.

Never liked Paul Robinson at all and I can remember a horror challenge on Kightly which he got away with, however from memory this tackle particular tackle on SEB wasn't actually that bad?

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Makes it a bit more understandable now how his career went downhill so drastically from a broken leg which from the outside looking in tends not to have too much of an impact on a player after recovery.

Even with us being so bad that season he was still on course for a good personal return in front of goal.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Shame, loved SEB. Saw him when we played away at Plymouth Argyle in 2007, just before we bought him, and was impressed.
The other player who impressed me that day was Michael Gray at left back for us.

I remember that game Wolves utterly dominated yet it ended up 1-1. Michael Gray was Man of the Match and the Plymouth goalkeeper Luke McCormack ( later did jail time for drunk driving / vehicular manslaughter ) was bar one shot from Stephen Elliott I think it was, was unbeatable.

The next game at Argyle was played in an incredible monsoon in August 2008. Again Wolves were all over Plymouth who somehow scored twice in a draw. There were some Plymouth fans waving handbags at SEB because he was at the time facing charges of assault for an incident in which he allegedly hit a night club bouncer over the head with his then girlfriend's handbag !!!!!!!!!!

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
An interesting trend following Roger Johnson recently trying (and failing) to sue his knee surgeon.

But it still stinks of looking for someone to blame for events that in the past would have just gone down as bad luck.
Must be horrendous for a pro-footballer, especially as it seems he had surgery on a tibia break, that was clearly needed, but also some cleaning up of an ankle that was probably not good, but functioning fine. Robinson was a disgusting thug of a player, but seeing it live I didn't think it was a bad tackle. Can't help thinking there are some lawyers out there offering no win no fee claims? The surgeon involved seems to have had a pretty stellar career, not that he couldn't have messed up here of course.

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Scorer of the best Wolves goal I'd ever seen until Neves popped up.

Hard to successfully sue a surgeon in court unless you have proof he messed up the surgery in some way, which doesn't look like is the case here.

Wolfmeister75

Groupie
Reaction score
Paul Robinson was an animal, he did Kightly & SEB. Pretty sure he’s maimed a few others too. We’d have stopped up I reckon under Saunders if SEB had stayed fit. Wonder how that would have panned out that summer?! Think Saunders would have gone either way. Completely out of his depth.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He gave us some unforgettable moments SEB.

Charlton wonder goal
Birmingham equalizer in 2008
QPR winner to seal promotion
Villa equalizer in 2009
Old Trafford in 2010

Always had a goal in him. Even when we were desperately poor in 2012/13 he scored about 15 that season.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I guess he can argue that an operation wasn't bad luck as it was planned, like an initial clumsy tackle might have been construed.
What Seb can argue truthfully is that he was a totally ineffective player after his injury, and that finished him.

Beaumont2112

Groupie
Reaction score
Scorer of the best Wolves goal I'd ever seen until Neves popped up.

Hard to successfully sue a surgeon in court unless you have proof he messed up the surgery in some way, which doesn't look like is the case here.
I assume that he also made a claim against Paul Robinson? In my view, he would have been the one to pursue. The story is one sided as it does not deal with the Surgeons defence.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I guess the angle is SEB wouldn't have consented to ankle surgery if the surgeon had asked him

Difficult one as I'm sure the surgeon acted with the best intentions

Dr Wolfenstein

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I guess the angle is SEB wouldn't have consented to ankle surgery if the surgeon had asked him

Difficult one as I'm sure the surgeon acted with the best intentions
He consented to the operation. He's claiming he wasn't made fully aware of the likely consequences. So it would appear the question is was the outcome an unforeseen anomaly or should the surgeon have been able to predict this and make SEB aware of the consequences & failed to. Presumably club medical staff also have some responsibility with respect to explaining the advice given to a player. But good luck with getting any medical professional to admit negligence & liability.

Last edited:

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He consented to the operation. He's claiming he wasn't made fully aware of the likely consequences. So it would appear the question is was the outcome an unforeseen anomaly or should the surgeon have been able to predict this and make SEB aware of the consequences & failed to. Presumably club medical staff also have some responsibility with respect to explaining the advice given to a player. But good luck with getting any medical professional to admit negligence & liability.
the way i read it was that he went for an op for his broken leg, whilst the surgeon was in there he tried to make SEB's ankle better too, but SEB hadn't consented to the ankle stuff - only the broken leg

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sadly wasn’t at Charlton for the wonder goal, was in Thailand at the time (so not too disappointed to miss out). But his goal vs QPR was the wildest I’ve celebrated for some time. What a couple of seasons he had!

Shame his injury curtailed his career.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That tackle relegated us.

We did seem to have picked up momentum, and SEB was in form again if I recall correctly.

Hurt like hell at the time but I guess relegation guaranteed the end of Saunders, and it could be interesting to see a parallel world where we’d stayed up that season to see what our future held? e.g. no Fosun

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We did seem to have picked up momentum, and SEB was in form again if I recall correctly.

Hurt like hell at the time but I guess relegation guaranteed the end of Saunders, and it could be interesting to see a parallel world where we’d stayed up that season to see what our future held? e.g. no Fosun
The League One season still remains one of my favourites, came together at a time where I had a lot of spare funds and tickets were available with ease. Think the only match I missed ironically was the 10k2MK because I ended up a stag do.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The League One season still remains one of my favourites, came together at a time where I had a lot of spare funds and tickets were available with ease. Think the only match I missed ironically was the 10k2MK because I ended up a stag do.

Yes, similar for me, I was mid-late 20s, single, meaning plenty of free time and a bit of spare cash. Good times.

My biggest regret of that season was missing Carlisle away. Wanted to be able to say I went to Carlisle when we were in L1, but it was a weeknight and logistics getting there and back from London put a stop to that.

Quite happy to stay in the PL for the foreseeable now though.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I broke my ankle playing football. The surgeon came to me after surgery and warned me not to play football again as I ‘could be left permanently disabled’.
For the 20 years after that, I’ve experienced jarring pain in my ankle and put it down to the severity of the original break. Last year, the pain got more severe and so I went for a private consultation. Turns out the original surgeon had put two of the pins in the wrong place. 20 ****ing years of pain and discomfort because of that incompetent *****. So yes, I believe that this **** is possible.

Beaumont2112

Groupie
Reaction score
I broke my ankle playing football. The surgeon came to me after surgery and warned me not to play football again as I ‘could be left permanently disabled’.
For the 20 years after that, I’ve experienced jarring pain in my ankle and put it down to the severity of the original break. Last year, the pain got more severe and so I went for a private consultation. Turns out the original surgeon had put two of the pins in the wrong place. 20 ****ing years of pain and discomfort because of that incompetent *****. So yes, I believe that this **** is possible.
Now there is a claim that has merit.

TFWanderers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, similar for me, I was mid-late 20s, single, meaning plenty of free time and a bit of spare cash. Good times.

My biggest regret of that season was missing Carlisle away. Wanted to be able to say I went to Carlisle when we were in L1, but it was a weeknight and logistics getting there and back from London put a stop to that.

Quite happy to stay in the PL for the foreseeable now though.
I only missed 3 games that League 1 season.

Likewise, mid to late 20’s, plenty of disposable income, single and a need to remove all memory of that horrendous double drop.

Not sure I’d enjoy it as much now. Under Mick it never felt like we really belonged in the PL. It was always a battle for survival.

Relegation would be a complete disaster this season.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I only missed 3 games that League 1 season.

Likewise, mid to late 20’s, plenty of disposable income, single and a need to remove all memory of that horrendous double drop.

Not sure I’d enjoy it as much now. Under Mick it never felt like we really belonged in the PL. It was always a battle for survival.

Relegation would be a complete disaster this season.

Those last two paragraphs are spot on. Exactly how I felt and feel now.

Relegation this season will be catastrophic if it happens.

Dr Wolfenstein

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
the way i read it was that he went for an op for his broken leg, whilst the surgeon was in there he tried to make SEB's ankle better too, but SEB hadn't consented to the ankle stuff - only the broken leg
He could only have done that in exceptional circumstances which clearly didn't apply in this instance.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I guess he can argue that an operation wasn't bad luck as it was planned, like an initial clumsy tackle might have been construed.
What Seb can argue truthfully is that he was a totally ineffective player after his injury, and that finished him.
I don't think he was the same player after we rushed him back from his calf injury to get us promoted. I remember watching him limp around the pitch against QPR thinking this is Bully all over again, flogging him to death for the sake of the club. It was no coincidence he had a crap pre-season and picked up a load of niggling and then more serious injuries straight after for a good three seasons. He never really recovered after that - I know he scored a few goals in the championship before the injury against Birmingham, and I'm sure that will be the basis for his claim (which I wish him well with) but I'd be surprised if he's able to prove beyond reasonable doubt that it was the treatment of that specific injury alone that resulted in his career tailing off and ending.

WinchWolf

Reaction score
Dr Calder operated on my achilles in 2012 and haven't any problems since. He spent time discussing what he was going to do and possible complications. So I find this quite surprising. I believe he also operated on Danny Batth and a number of other footballers, so if he loses the court case he could be in big trouble.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He could only have done that in exceptional circumstances which clearly didn't apply in this instance.
Thanks, I re-read the article again. SEB is saying he wasn't informed of potential implications rather than not consenting to the op.

I guess the answer to how informed SEB was will be in whatever paperwork was signed.

Back
Top Bottom