Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Newcastle Verdict

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Tried, but mostly got caught in possession.

Unlike Moutinho, who was tidier in possession, broke things up, intercepted and generally did what he’s in the side to do. He’s been one of our most consistent players all season.
Made 3 tackles and 0 interceptions. He is a midfielder, he is in the side to progress the ball. He does absolutely nothing when we have possession.

el gringo

Reaction score
Trincao seemed to get himself into space/make runs in front of the right half of the penalty area frequently and I don't think anyone tried to reach him. OK it's a tricky move but I thought there was a lot of potential there - usually the ball went backwards on those occasions.

Narfolk Wolf

Reaction score
Pleased with the 3 points. Disappointed with not subbing Trincao after 60 mins, not really a fan of how we get so negative at the end of games and in effect defend against ourselves.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Made 3 tackles and 0 interceptions. He is a midfielder, he is in the side to progress the ball. He does absolutely nothing when we have possession.

So what is the one in the first half when he pulled the ball down over his shoulder with 3 players around him, turned and laid it off classed as?

I'd call that an interception (and a very good one), even if the statisticians don't!!

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

So what is the one in the second half when he pulled the ball down over his shoulder with 3 players around him, turned and laid it off classed as?

I'd call that an interception (and a very good one), even if the statisticians don't!!
If it is just lumped at him it isn't an interception. What did you think about when he had two through balls on and he turned backwards then nearly gave the ball away

R

reanswolf

Pleased with the 3 points. Disappointed with not subbing Trincao after 60 mins, not really a fan of how we get so negative at the end of games and in effect defend against ourselves.
All credit to the defense, but I think we can rule out any chance of Traore signing if he is treated like that.

The game was crying out for him to come on after 60 mins, but instead we were subjected to 30 minutes of nail-biting boredom.

So pleased with the win, but not very happy with the performance and managers decisions.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watching us try and keep the ball at the end was comical. Trincao had a stinker.
Jiminez back to himself and his and Hwangs partnership is very reminiscent of Raul/Jota at their best.
I think that Trincao cannot get used to the pace of the EPL at present and lacks upper body strength. However, I believe he will come good .

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Bit of an odd and disjointed game. Seemed to be lots of stoppages and bizarre refereeing decisions, summed up by the decision to allow play to go on when Raul got clattered by the corner flag in injury time.

Flashes of excellent play throughout but a lot of poor decision making and execution too. Raul's assists for the goals were magnificent, he's a multi-trick pony. Hwang's finishing was exceptional, can't remember such clinical finishing by a Wolves player running into the box from an angle in a long long time. His play and pass for Trincao's miss and the second half charge down the wing was fantastic too.

On the other hand, our sloppy passing was so frustrating at times. Newcastle did press well and worked hard to cut out our passes but we were our own worst enemy in giving them possession back. Passes were often too short or soft (hello Neves and Trincao) or lacking accuracy. To pass to a player under pressure it has to be crisp and accurate. We just couldn't keep the ball.

If Trincao scores for 2-0 I think we go on to win the game comfortably. The sloppiness for their equaliser was so frustrating. However, it was good play by ASM to make a chance out of nothing.

We'll never know if Sa was really injured but I think it was a bit of exaggerated play acting to get a foul or to stop play. I was yelling at him to get up. He waited too long and it cost us. He should have got up immediately or stayed down. They would have never scored if he was in position. I love Sa, I really like the cut of his gib (and a great save in the second half), but that was poor, just get on with it. We seem to have a bit of a culture of staying down after a foul and rolling around hoping the referee will give the foul and then take too long to get up when he doesn't. Neves does it, Podence does it, Mouts does it sometimes, and even Sa and Raul joined in today. Raul should have got a free kick after being clattered in injury time, but after the referee didn't give it, there was no need to stay down for so long. It meant we were defending a last minute attack with 9 men.

Trincao started well and looked good but was blowing from his backside from about 65 mins, his passing sloppy and energy drained, should have been hooked for Traore or the Pod.

I'm Mr Happy Clapper and I'm very happy with another win but our performance, tactics, and subs look incoherent and disjointed. Hopefully two wins on the trot will give us the space and confidence to get back to playing well again. Great to score twice at home and get a goal in the first half though.

MoM - Hwang, closely followed by Raul.

Honourable mentions for Kilman, Saiss and Coady who were very solid.

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Two wins on the bounce and a victory over the Geordies and Potato Head! Happy days. Today's really all about two players, Raul and Hwang, our new deadly duo up top. Raul is slowly but surely getting back to the Raul we all know and love. Real good bursts forward today and of course the assists for the goals. To think he's still only a few games back after a life threatening injury that ruled him out for a whole ****ing season! Just let that sink in and shout our number 9's name from the rooftops! Mexico's finest for sure and he plays in old gold! As we know from the first few games of the season, putting the ball in the back of the net has been a bit tricky for the old gold. Not today! Hwang showing a real eye for goal with two clinical finishes. Neither chances were easy, especially the first one where the angle was tight. However, he put the ball away on both occasions with aplomb! Marvellous. Works hard too, as does Raul. So we have a pair of strikers, who both work hard, are strong, not slow and can finish. All we need to do is sort out the midfield and defence! Whoop whoop whoop whoop whoop whoop whoop Hwang Hee-chan. Whoop whoop whoop whoop whoop whoop whoop Hwang Hee-chan. Hey Hwang Hee-chan yeah! Whoop whoop whoop whoop whoop. Hey Hwang Hee-chan yeah!

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm going to partially defend Bruno here with his lack of subs....
He should have changed Trincao at 60 or 70 mins, but he obviously has reservations about podence and traore. (I agree that podence is too weak and just doesnt have a presence, not related to his height, he just doesnt close down or tackle very well and Traore isnt a team player so any team plan falls apart).
Bruno clearly understands Fanio isnt ready.
The only player I dont agree with is that dendonker should had come on earlier and gone to a two up top (Hwang and jiminez). Or even bring on ait nouri or hoever as the other attacker.

To add, in my opinion Raul IS back to his best today, sensational play and the difference with world class moments.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If it is just lumped at him it isn't an interception. What did you think about when he had two through balls on and he turned backwards then nearly gave the ball away

Nearly! He didn't lose possession once today (to Neves's 2 times). Yes, he could be more progressive when he gets in forward positions, but that's the same with our whole team most of the time at the moment.

If you're criticising him for that, fair enough, but to say he does nothing to progress the ball isn't accurate. He keeps us ticking over.

I'm not saying he was exceptional today, but I was asking how he is being criticised for what was in my eyes, a solid 7/10 display.

Second most passes, most accurate passes, 95% pass accuracy, third most touches, most clearances of any midfielder, most tackles of any Wolves midfielder today, all without being great. He is our midfield metro-gnome!

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Poor game between two poor sides, just like last week in fact. The great news is that we have not just our talisman back, but a new sidekick for him. Personal apologies to Saiss who I'd never have played again, he was very good today, as was Kilman,Coady had a steady game. Not sure anyone else comes out with any real credit.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Nearly! He didn't lose possession once today (to Neves's 2 times). Yes, he could be more progressive when he gets in forward positions, but that's the same with our whole team most of the time at the moment.

If you're criticising him for that, fair enough, but to say he does nothing to progress the ball isn't accurate. He keeps us ticking over.

I'm not saying he was exceptional today, but I was asking how he is being criticised for what was in my eyes, a solid 7/10 display.

Second most passes, most accurate passes, 95% pass accuracy, third most touches, most clearances of any midfielder, most tackles of any Wolves midfielder today, all without being great. He is our midfield metro-gnome!
Pass accuracy is a piece of **** when you don't try to do anything other than slide it sideways. We don't tick over they do we? Our only chance creation is counter attacks because the midfield can't build anything up.

He basically plays like Karl Henry at this point in his career. I don't know how anyone can watch our midfield and think it is anywhere near good enough. Two players who are way too similar and a bit overrated by our fans

k-dog

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It was great to see two goals come via through balls from the centre of the pitch, we’ve been guilt of trying to play it from out wide too often this season and it just hasn’t been working for us, yet.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Both of were poor but at least Neves actually tried to pass the ball forwards
Not sure he did though. I know your views on Moutinho but there's the risk this becomes an agenda, which isn't your style from what I can tell. Moutinho was okay today, Neves wasn't, both were conservative in their play.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Not sure he did though. I know your views on Moutinho but there's the risk this becomes an agenda, which isn't your style from what I can tell. Moutinho was okay today, Neves wasn't, both were conservative in their play.
Neves started the Trincao miss move, and had a pass intercepted going into Semedo. That was sum total from both tbh

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Really pleased with 3 more points and 2 wins on the spin. Midfield and defence clearly needs improving and has done for a number transfer windows. Hwang looks like a shrewd bit of business and I only hope Bruno is given the tools to fashion a squad that can play the way he wants.

Baboon

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Did anyone notice if they put the attendance on the screen at the end? I'm wondering if we got back over the 30k mark and I can't find it in any of the match reports.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Two poor teams. We were marginally less poor. Can’t work out if Hwang’s finishes were brilliant ball placement or terrible goalkeeping?!

Few positives, BUT, this victory and the Southampton one are key indicators that we can beat the teams we ‘should’ be beating and that’s going to be hugely important as this season grinds on.

inaglasshouse

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Admitted to Sandwell hospital before the game. Covid symptoms got worse. Staff unbelievably good. A victory will hopefully shorten my stay !
Get well soon mate, it's absolutely rife again. Everyone I speak to seems to know someone who's had it in the last few weeks but thankfully far fewer getting it bad.

JR WAS KING

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A win is a win but my god that was awful. I have no idea what lage is even trying to do any more. We started the season was positive football but couldn't score. A few games in and it's become negative and championship standard. The results have been courtesy of individual excellence or mistakes while overall play is going downhill fast
I think you've answered your own question there. Three great games, no points. Something had to change.

Alienwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
WTF was the ref playing at giving us offside in the Newcastle half, then letting them take the kick 15 yards into ours?!

25000 fans screaming “you don’t know what you’re doing” at the ref when he did this. The irony is that this was the one occasion that he did know what he was doing. The rule has been in place for a few years.

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just a bit of a 'meh' match all-round really. Moments of quality were few and far between from both sides. Was surprised Bruno didn't look too bring podence or Adama on for trincao around the hour mark. Game just went a bit quiet and a bit of 'spark' adding when we seemed to start dropping deeper wouldn't have been a bad thing imo. What do I know though :)

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
25000 fans screaming “you don’t know what you’re doing” at the ref when he did this. The irony is that this was the one occasion that he did know what he was doing. The rule has been in place for a few years.
Really? Surely a free kick for offside has to be at least in the region of where the offence took place? Taking it closer to our goal by 15 yards was surely an advantage to them and contradicts the call for offside when you can't be when in your own half. Appreciate free kicks sometimes taken further back from the offence are pulled back when not always necessary but when it's taken a good way further forward is incorrect?

Wolves Heathen

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Football is a funny old game at times, three games played well 0 Points, 4 games played not so well 9 Points and at the end of the day its the points that really matter, basically we were not really troubled by Newcastle who are a poor Team apart from Saint Maxim they have little threat, should have been home and hosed in the first half when Trincao hit the bar, but that was cancelled out by Saint Maxims second half miss. Our defence played well with Kilman and Saiss the stand outs, up front Hwang was MOTM with 2 very well taken goals ably supported by Rauls 2 assists, Trincao badly needs a goal to shore up his confidence which is low at the moment, I thought Ruben had a poor game by his own standards.
Bruno is coming in for criticism of substitutions i thought Donk for Trincao was the right sub but could have come on earlier, Adama for Hang was just to wind down the clock, Adama is good for when we are chasing a game but Team wise he simply is an individual who does his own thing, Podence who comes off for him Raul or Hwang then we lose the closing down up front. I dont know what we playing at for the last 10 minutes we lost control of the ball and the game and seemed to pass out every time to a Newcastle player.
As for Graham Scott that has to be one of the worst refereeing performances i have ever seen at Molineux and Iv seen some bad ones over the years.

Back
Top Bottom