Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Newcastle United Takeover

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The dream of all Newcastle United fans, to see the end of Mike Ashley's reign of the club: finally looks set to become reality; possibly as early as tonight.

This is thanks to Saudi Arabia agreeing to lift the ban on broadcasting Qatar owned beIN Sport and them agreeing to shut down beoutQ - which is a pirated form of beIN in the nation.

Therefore the Premier League has/is about to give the green light, on a £300 Million deal which the PL now see as acceptable, as a result of Qatar and Saudi Arabia making up.

Interesting times ahead on Tyneside!

Lycaon

Reaction score
Just a simple case of “Poacher turning Gamekeeper” I would suggest?
It’s definitely a win win for Mike Ashley but not so sure for the fans of NUFC.
This could potentially go horribly wrong!

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
How sad that nobody seems to have any issue with the appalling state of Saudi Arabia having direct involvement with English football.
People more concerned with the money that Newcastle may have rather than the Saudi state having involvement in the premier league

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
new levels of greed from the PL. probably helps wolves and our profile to be honest, more of europe's best players will be heading this way and we're an attractive proposition if top clubs don't want them

i kind of knew we were all going to hell in a handcart when mendes got involved, and i've enjoyed the ride so can't complain now

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just a simple case of “Poacher turning Gamekeeper” I would suggest?
It’s definitely a win win for Mike Ashley but not so sure for the fans of NUFC.
This could potentially go horribly wrong!
How? Isn't this a Man City-esque takeover.

Purely from a football perspective, haven't they just hit the jackpot? I expect them to be one of the best teams in the world within ten years.

They've resolved a major dispute with Qatar to buy Newcastle and I presume the intention is to splash out now.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How? Isn't this a Man City-esque takeover.

Purely from a football perspective, haven't they just hit the jackpot? I expect them to be one of the best teams in the world within ten years.

They've resolved a major dispute with Qatar to buy Newcastle and I presume the intention is to splash out now.
They’ll still have to comply with FFP.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I expect them to be moaning about FFP in 2 years time.
City found ways around it.

If you're really serious, it's not really a problem. I can't imagine the Saudi's are taking this much effort to buy Newcastle to find out in a year or two they'll be stumped by FFP.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Money doesn’t mean anything to a team like Newcastle success won’t come overnight look at city took time then also FFP now too.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This Telegraph reporter saying they paid $1bn to settle the issue with Qatar of piracy!!!

They're going to be proper contenders.

Hypocritical as we've benefited but it's sad to see how football has gone, I get this isn't new either. But you actually can't compete. At least we've not competed for most of our fans lifetimes, but for clubs like Arsenal and Liverpool (when Klopp leaves) it will be pretty depressing I'd imagine and takes away a lot of hope for the rest of us. So glad I went on a few of those European away days!

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
How sad that nobody seems to have any issue with the appalling state of Saudi Arabia having direct involvement with English football.
Agreed.... but in all fairness not much is said about the Queen and other royals happily hosting them and happily receiving there gifts of racehorses, diamonds, Jewels etc,

And nothing said on the deals our country does with them.

GY Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People moaning about Saudi? How about China? Appalling human rights record there too... People in glass houses throwing stones?
I do, never been comfortable with it, but the state-backed takeover of Newcastle by a country that murders journalists, bombs Yemeni children and imposes a very oppressive regime is a new level of grimness really.

Living at other WWFC

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Genuinely unpleasant.
For example...

Urko

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don’t expect Neymar signings, Telegraph reporting they will look to grow organically revamping scouting and their training complex.

“But the plan was for an initial £100 million to be earmarked for transfers over a four-year period, which sounds relatively modest, especially given the wealth of the owners. Fans dreaming of bids for the likes of Kylian Mbappe might be disappointed in that. But it is £100 million more than is being invested in Newcastle at present and they will know that further funds can easily be committed if necessary”

D

Deleted member 9202LYK

More sportswashing.

Turns my stomach seeing this sport being used in this way.
Yeah… each time they introduce VAR, or turn a blind eye to Villa selling their ground or approve unfit owners, I disagree and then gradually get over it.

There will come a time when it becomes too US like to bear. This is when people start franchising.

When they do I’m going non league for sure.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With FFP they can't be like Man City of a decade ago.

But from what I've read in the last few years their net spend has hardly been anything. They can now at least spend something to compete with like of us, Everton, Villa, Leicester, etc. They could be another club trying to finish in the top six or seven and get into Europe.

Bring it on.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With FFP they can't be like Man City of a decade ago.

But from what I've read in the last few years their net spend has hardly been anything. They can now at least spend something to compete with like of us, Everton, Villa, Leicester, etc. They could be another club trying to finish in the top six or seven and get into Europe.

Bring it on.
Exactly

They'll be another one in the mix pushing for top 6 but they won't be a City / PSG. Simply can't happen unless the spending rules are changed

Which they absolutely should be. It's a farce that billionaire owners can't spend what they want.

But changing them would be bad news for the elite clubs so go figure

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Which they absolutely should be. It's a farce that billionaire owners can't spend what they want.

The logic is that if you let Man City, PSG, Newcastle (?) etc spend what they want, then other clubs who can't afford to will overstretch themselves and go bankrupt.

It does make sense IMO, although there is obviously the more cynical side of big clubs not wanting competition.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Newcastle fans up here are really excited, in fact they're losing their minds about it, and they've all got ready made and practised excuses for why it's all fine and nothing to worry about ethically. I imagine that would be the same at most football clubs. Think it would make me think twice about going to see Wolves or investing any of my time and money into the club if this happened to us. More of a difficult situation if you live locally though and you see them investing in the community, local environment, buying top players and putting your team and city on the map (ala Manchester City).

I think this is very different from our ownership by Fosun. They've got around this by creating a Public Investment Fund (PIF) that is seen as separate to the state (funded by the state's money), but everyone knows it really is the state. Nudge nudge wink wink.

Who is head of the PIF? Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman. The US intelligence department named Prince Mohammed as having approved the murder of the journalist Jamal Khashoggi at the Turkish Embassy. If you want to see how he operates watch the documentary called 'The Dissident' on Prime. The sickening thing is, I'm sure at some stage this guy will appear in the stands at St James' Park and get a standing ovation from a packed stadium.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don’t expect Neymar signings, Telegraph reporting they will look to grow organically revamping scouting and their training complex.

“But the plan was for an initial £100 million to be earmarked for transfers over a four-year period, which sounds relatively modest, especially given the wealth of the owners. Fans dreaming of bids for the likes of Kylian Mbappe might be disappointed in that. But it is £100 million more than is being invested in Newcastle at present and they will know that further funds can easily be committed if necessary”
100m over 4 years so what 12.5m per transfer window? That’s rather low, their fans won’t be happy lol

Richboxy

Groupie
Reaction score
They’ll still have to comply with FFP.
I don’t think so, isn’t the new FFP basically just a luxury tax. Which, unlike our owners, they’ll be happy to pay.

Terrible news for us, as will just make it harder for us to compete.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t think so, isn’t the new FFP basically just a luxury tax. Which, unlike our owners, they’ll be happy to pay.

Terrible news for us, and for football as a whole. I really like Newcastle but I now hope they go down

Rednal Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can't believe how keen the media are to see Newcastle challenging and "being back up there where they belong"
After all it was only in 1969 that they won their last major honour....... The fairs Cup. V Ujpesti Dosza. Oh and let's not forget the Texaco Cup in 1975.
Massively overatted club by the media.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Yeah, ban from UEFA competitions is a luxury tax.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Assuming this does go through they will be spending a lot more than 100 million over the next 4 years.

arctic rime

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Newcastle fans up here are really excited, in fact they're losing their minds about it, and they've all got ready made and practised excuses for why it's all fine and nothing to worry about ethically. I imagine that would be the same at most football clubs. Think it would make me think twice about going to see Wolves or investing any of my time and money into the club if this happened to us. More of a difficult situation if you live locally though and you see them investing in the community, local environment, buying top players and putting your team and city on the map (ala Manchester City).

I think this is very different from our ownership by Fosun. They've got around this by creating a Public Investment Fund (PIF) that is seen as separate to the state (funded by the state's money), but everyone knows it really is the state. Nudge nudge wink wink.

Who is head of the PIF? Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman. The US intelligence department named Prince Mohammed as having approved the murder of the journalist Jamal Khashoggi at the Turkish Embassy. If you want to see how he operates watch the documentary called 'The Dissident' on Prime. The sickening thing is, I'm sure at some stage this guy will appear in the stands at St James' Park and get a standing ovation from a packed stadium.

Stinks the place out, hope they are relegated.

Back
Top Bottom