Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

New Transfer Policy

R

richiej95

Is blooming fantastic!!

Scouting players from abroad and bringing them in is looking so much better than buying from the limited Irish/Ex-Sunderland pool Mick looked at.

We seem to be getting some real class players for cut down prices. There is so much more value for money around outside Britain and I am delighted to see we are exploiting it.

Don't like us to compare us to them but the Baggies have done an excellent job of foreign scouting. The likes of Mulumbu, Odemwhingie, Olsson.

If we can keep uncovering these hidden gems then the future looks bright!

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In theory mate, in theory!

Remember, Mick got us up (and kept us up) with his transfer policy, although it became obvious last year that it would never see us truly push on.

I hope Solbakken's is even more successful but it's very early days.

H

HUGEWolf

Is blooming fantastic!!

Scouting players from abroad and bringing them in is looking so much better than buying from the limited Irish/Ex-Sunderland pool Mick looked at.

We seem to be getting some real class players for cut down prices. There is so much more value for money around outside Britain and I am delighted to see we are exploiting it.

Don't like us to compare us to them but the Baggies have done an excellent job of foreign scouting. The likes of Mulumbu, Odemwhingie, Olsson.

Not Irish/Sunderland: De Vries, Zubar, Johnson, Stearman, Berra, Elokobi, Jarvis, Kightly, Henry, Milijas, Edwards, Jonsson, Fletcher, Ebanks-Blake, Hammill, Moyokolo, O'Hara, Bothroyd, Clapham, Johnson, Mulgrew, McIndoe, D. Ward, Eastwood, Vokes, Jones, Iwelumo, Hill, Shackell, Friend, Surman, Hahnemann, Halford, Maierhofer, van Damme, Griffiths, Basso.

Irish/Sunderland: Breen, S. Ward, Collins, Potter, Keogh, Elliott, Gray, Foley, Doyle, Hunt, Forde, Doherty.

Total players in: 49.

Irish: 10.
Sunderland: 4.

English: 20.
Scottish: 6.
Foreign: 10.

As many foreigners as Irish and both only half of the total of English. 4 ex-Sunderland.

But, you know, believe what you want to believe.

Not defending McCarthy but it's funny how people can form an opinion without really looking into the facts.

J

johnybig32

I would say MMs major plus, and was seemed by us at the time, was his use of the lower leagues.

Which is where most of those players come from?

W

WasStefan

Not Irish/Sunderland: De Vries, Zubar, Johnson, Stearman, Berra, Elokobi, Jarvis, Kightly, Henry, Milijas, Edwards, Jonsson, Fletcher, Ebanks-Blake, Hammill, Moyokolo, O'Hara, Bothroyd, Clapham, Johnson, Mulgrew, McIndoe, D. Ward, Eastwood, Vokes, Jones, Iwelumo, Hill, Shackell, Friend, Surman, Hahnemann, Halford, Maierhofer, van Damme, Griffiths, Basso.

Irish/Sunderland: Breen, S. Ward, Collins, Potter, Keogh, Elliott, Gray, Foley, Doyle, Hunt, Forde, Doherty.

As many foreigners as Irish and both only half of the total of English. 4 ex-Sunderland.

Not defending McCarthy but it's funny how people can form an opinion without really looking into the facts.
Checkmate

The_Ned

Reaction score

To have as many Irish players as from the rest of the world is still quite an imbalance.

W

wanderer24

Where they come from is irrelevant. Do they have an impact? Do they improve the team? And ultimately are they successful?
Percentage wise of signing players that improve the team, Stale appears to be doing quite well so far.

M

Mr Wolf

Out of those who have moved on only 3 have been sold for less than we paid?

Be interesting to see how Stales cheap foreign route compares over the years.

R

richiej95

OK it wasn't all Irish and ex-Sunderland players for Mick that was an exaggeration but we did seem to look at players from a very limited pool.

That wasn't really the main point of the post any way. The point was that our new transfer policy is one which could well bring us plenty of long term success!

M

Mr Wolf

That wasn't really the main point of the post any way. The point was that our new transfer policy is one which could well bring us plenty of long term success!

Success on the pitch? Our previous transfer policy certainly gave us success off it and on it for a while.

Dubwolf71

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Where they come from is irrelevant. Do they have an impact? Do they improve the team? And ultimately are they successful?
Percentage wise of signing players that improve the team, Stale appears to be doing quite well so far.
Wouldn't go as far to say he is doing quite well. Based on what? Results? overall team play?

D

Deleted member 3545

Is blooming fantastic!!

proof will be in the pudding at the end of the season, easy to say now that they are great signings.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Let's wait and see before being so celebratory. Mick, for all his failings at the end, got us promoted after starting from nothing. Top top bloke and now that he's left, should never be disrespected just because of a really bad couple of seasons.

R

reanswolf

It could easily appear very disjointed and go bellies up.

Too much change for my liking. Would be ok if we had a couple of months to bed things in.

S

spud3948

Remember MM left us with a 27m legacy which will aloow Solbakken to re-build. A new era dawns, exciting times ahead, but I will always respect MM for what he did for this Club.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It could easily appear very disjointed and go bellies up.

Too much change for my liking. Would be ok if we had a couple of months to bed things in.

Which is why I believe that the board aren't expecting promotion this season, I think this will be a building year then next season will be when the real promotion push is expected.

R

reanswolf

Which is why I believe that the board aren't expecting promotion this season, I think this will be a building year then next season will be when the real promotion push is expected.

Dangerous strategy but I think now they have realised promotion is unlikely this season bar a miracle. Problem is ,people like Tongo will jump ship long before then. We need to strike whilst the iron is hot.

S

spud3948

Yet another thread turns into a M.M. lovefest

Just dont understand you MM haters. Give the bloke the credit he deserves, yes he should have been sacked earlier than he was, yes we didn't kick on in the 3rd premier season but his signings have left the Club with the biggest warchest for new players we have ever had.

Perhaps you enjoyed the Glenn Hoddle period?

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score

To me, the fact that the Board is sanctioning a number of big money moves (even allowing for the income bought in by the Fletcher and Jarvis deals) suggests that they will be expecting us to mount a serious promotion challenge this season.

It's definitely an exciting time at the moment but we'll only really know how effective the new policy has been in 1-2 years time. I think the thread started by Hogan around continuity and the risk attached to placing such faith in one man is particularly pertinent in the context.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Mr Wolf

But on paper we have a better squad than most and more money then anyone else so why aren't we expecting promotion this season?

I don't buy all this building for the future, get 5 players in now who can get us prompted 1st time back around or face another how long in this division as other teams catch us up or overtake us when our pot runs dry.

W

wanderer24

Wouldn't go as far to say he is doing quite well. Based on what? Results? overall team play?

Based on the general impression of fans on the quality/impact of these individual players. I've not heard a bad word said about Doumbia, and most are positive about Pezko and Sigurdson. Time will tell i guess, but if they were $$$$ players it wouldn't have taken long for many fans to rip them to shreds and write them off.

manc_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In theory mate, in theory!

Remember, Mick got us up (and kept us up) with his transfer policy, although it became obvious last year that it would never see us truly push on.

I hope Solbakken's is even more successful but it's very early days.

it might have done, had Johnson been half the player we thought he was gonna be... there weren't too many crying on here after 3 games last season...

and a bit more luck with injuries, and we'd have had Frimpong, Henry, sitting in front of O'Hara in midfield, with Jarvis and Kightly on the wings and Fletcher up front - that side would have kept us up, I have no doubt...

It's definitely refreshing to see this policy, we seem to be looking at fantastic players who are all young and proven at a very high level - and for a fraction of the price that they would be in this country - but there's a reason for that, and that is, it's a huge gamble. they might not settle and they might not be able to adapt to the english game - those factors alone suggest we should be a little cautious in our optimism for a few weeks yet... let alone the fact that we have a very unsettled squad of players, we have a new manager and coach, and lots of new ideas, and a lot of things to get used to again...

this is a marathon, not a sprint, and we might not even get up this year - I hope expectations don't have a negative impact on what we're trying to build here either...

Last edited by a moderator:
A

andyc225

I love our new transfer policy. There seems to be actual thought going into it, as opposed to bringing in "proven Championship players" who peddle such gear-grinding platitudes as "this is a hard league to get out of" and who would be completely unshiftable upon promotion, taking up a wage that could be paid to a talented player.

OsloWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just dont understand you MM haters. Give the bloke the credit he deserves, yes he should have been sacked earlier than he was, yes we didn't kick on in the 3rd premier season but his signings have left the Club with the biggest warchest for new players we have ever had.

Perhaps you enjoyed the Glenn Hoddle period?

He got the credit he deserved.
Then he $$$$ed it up.
Now he's gone.
So take off your McCarthy masks.
And stop jerking off in front of the mirror.
He's gone.
And he's never coming back.

S

spud3948

A lot of these signings have been in the pipeline for a while. Now Clubs know we have 27m in the bank they will inflate prices. I guarantee if we went for a British player the valuation would be astronomical.

We have had 6 new signings, possibly another two needed, a striker and combative midfielder (cover for Henry) unless further first teamers are going to leave like the likes of Zubar, Doyle or Ward who would also need to be replaced.

It is a large number of players to bed in. Doumbia and the Pole have slotted right in. Lets hope the rest follow suit.

F

foowolf

Is blooming fantastic!!

Agree!

What amazes is that we don't have a team of at least 5 scouts working constantly around Europe, mapping prospects systematically.

It is a dream job for any football nut. Most fans would do it for free.

And considering we are buying and selling players for tens of millions, this seems like a pretty small investment to ensure some quality control.

Even one scoop like Fletcher would pay back the salaries of 100 scouts for several years!

There is much room for improvement in this department in most clubs.

Dubwolf71

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Based on the general impression of fans on the quality/impact of these individual players. I've not heard a bad word said about Doumbia, and most are positive about Pezko and Sigurdson. Time will tell i guess, but if they were $$$$ players it wouldn't have taken long for many fans to rip them to shreds and write them off.
Fans are too busy tearing the old reliables to shreds to concentrate on the new blood yet. :D

The new players will take some time to get used to the Championship. As it stands Pezko and Doumbia have not reached full match fitness yet.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I love our new transfer policy. There seems to be actual thought going into it, as opposed to bringing in "proven Championship players" who peddle such gear-grinding platitudes as "this is a hard league to get out of" and who would be completely unshiftable upon promotion, taking up a wage that could be paid to a talented player.

I certainly agree with that. I was dreading the inevitable Bruce appointment followed by the signing of Marvin Elliot, Matthew Kilgallon and Nicky Maynard. It's nice to have something very different, even though it could all go belly-up.

saturday boy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

1 win, 2 draws and a defeat in competitive matches suggests it is way too early to be forming an opinion that they improve the team and will be successful.

Mick's first four games? 2 wins, a draw and a defeat.

Mick went on to improve the team so much in his first season that we made the play offs and within 2 years had won the championship.

Let Stale get through a dozen or so games after the transfer window has closed to see whether his signings have made an impact and improved the team.

A

Ampho8

sorry to point this out but mick signed halford for sunderland too

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dangerous strategy but I think now they have realised promotion is unlikely this season bar a miracle. Problem is ,people like Tongo will jump ship long before then. We need to strike whilst the iron is hot.

Hopefully he'll buy in to what we're doing and stay. Let's hope so, unless we smash the league of course then we won't have to worry.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To me, the fact that the Board is sanctioning a number of big money moves (even allowing for the income bought in by the Fletcher and Jarvis deals) suggests that they will be expecting us to mount a serious promotion challenge this season.

It's definitely an exciting time at the moment but we'll only really know how effective the new policy has been in 1-2 years time. I think the thread started by Hogan around continuity and the risk attached to placing such faith in one man is particularly pertinent in the context.

I agree, very exciting. I just hope the board have been realistic enough to realise that with so many key players going out, so many new faces coming in, and the core players - Henry, Johnson, SEB, Doyle, Ward being expected to completely change playing style in such a short period will make automatic promotion a fantastic achievement.

I stand by the theory that Big Mick would have stood a better chance of keeping the three who've left and getting us up this year but Stale and what he's doing is in the best interests in the long run. I think we'll be in and around the playoffs this season.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But on paper we have a better squad than most and more money then anyone else so why aren't we expecting promotion this season?

I don't buy all this building for the future, get 5 players in now who can get us prompted 1st time back around or face another how long in this division as other teams catch us up or overtake us when our pot runs dry.

I think it's a lot easier said than done picking 5 players that can get us promoted. I get your comment about not wanting to get caught up again, I just believe this new team will take a year or two to click and look the part.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
I agree, very exciting. I just hope the board have been realistic enough to realise that with so many key players going out, so many new faces coming in, and the core players - Henry, Johnson, SEB, Doyle, Ward being expected to completely change playing style in such a short period will make automatic promotion a fantastic achievement.

I stand by the theory that Big Mick would have stood a better chance of keeping the three who've left and getting us up this year but Stale and what he's doing is in the best interests in the long run. I think we'll be in and around the playoffs this season.

Absolutely spot on mate, agree with all of that.

Thank you Sir Jack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I certainly agree with that. I was dreading the inevitable Bruce appointment followed by the signing of Marvin Elliot, Matthew Kilgallon and Nicky Maynard. It's nice to have something very different, even though it could all go belly-up.

I will second this sentiment. We are going on an adventure with new and enticing personnel.

There is an old saying "may you live in interesting times"*, we are certainly doing that.

(* unfortunately, I seem to recall that it was a curse!)

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Am i the only one buzzing about the prospect of a completely different Wolves side in Fifa 13 with all these unknown players?! Can't wait haha!

W

WasStefan

Am i the only one buzzing about the prospect of a completely different Wolves side in Fifa 13 with all these unknown players?! Can't wait haha!

Sako and Boukari have 85 pace!!

Bolanos 80+ pace + 4 star skills :D

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

So YOU'RE the one in charge of our transfer policy...!

OsloWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I've already updated my Fifa12 squad with all out new players. My first 11:

----------------- Ikeme ---------------
Foley - Johnson - Margreitter - Ward
---------------- Henry -----------------
Peszko ----- Doumbia ------ Boukari
-------- Doyle ---- Sigurarson -------

Back
Top Bottom