Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

New thought on VAR

Madmalc

Reaction score
If the referee needs help by VAR, wouldn't it be more sensible for the blowing of the whistle to indicate a request for advice rather than a confirmation of a decision ?
Perhaps they could raise their arm when asking for advice.
I'm fairly sure that if the above were a rule before the game against Newcastle the outcome instead of a penalty would have been a dive free kick or a restart.

After all VAR delivers a much clearer image of proceedings than the ref sees in the heat of the moment.

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can sort of understand the ref getting it wrong in real time. What I can't see is why the VAR team, with slo mo and multiple angles still get obvious decisions wrong (every bloody time against us).
This! Cannot believe how many times, and angles, we saw of that ‘foul’. And each and every time it was clearer and clearer Hwang had pulled away and the cheating Geordie ******* dived.

Sir Ron

Groupie
Reaction score
Ask yourself, has your enjoyment of football been improved by VAR?
Apart from the odd correction it’s completely ruined the match day experience, the holy grail of celebrating a goal is now tempered while waiting to see if a pair of ****s in a portacabin 100 miles away give it a thumbs up or down like a Roman emporer.
I hate it, it’s ruining the game.
Goal line technology yes, Var nooooo, it’s had a fair crack if the whip now and isn’t improving

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If the referee needs help by VAR, wouldn't it be more sensible for the blowing of the whistle to indicate a request for advice rather than a confirmation of a decision ?
I'm fairly sure that if the above were a rule before the game against Newcastle the outcome instead of a penalty would have been a dive free kick or a restart.

After all VAR delivers a much clearer image of proceedings than the ref sees in the heat of the moment.

If that had been a request for a penalty decision it would have taken 3 seconds to say No, but the need to find evidence to overturn an onfield decision is still crazy.....often the actual freeze frame showing daylight between a foot and a leg just does not exist.
It's supposed to reinforce that the game is controlled by the pitch referree but in this case, it just confirms how wrong that is when you have to sit there watching a travesty.

I actually think VAR got that wrong, there is clear video evidence that the guy's left ankle was already turning into a mock fall position before Hawng got near him, it's complete simulation. He wouldn't have kept his feet whatever happened. If VAR cannot deal with that then there is no point, one of it's roles is to stop simulation and it's not doing the job.....in fact they reinforced that it's ok to do aslong as you manufacture evidence to support yourself.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
**** it off now, it worked properly in our matches we'd be 6th tonight!

S G Wolves

Bad lover
Reaction score
Gary seething with the decision, something along the lines " I've got no time for VAR, not going to bother to talk to them. There was no penalty first half!".

Terrible decision in my opinion.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A challenge system fixes this.

You could tell by how long the VAR ref looked at it that he wasn't convinced it was a penalty, but his hands were tied by the "clear and obvious" error standard. These situations are a waste of time, as they must always defer to it. Change it so the VAR referee can decide if it was or wasn't a penalty with fresh eyes, and it probably isn't given. Also, shame on Schär for how he went down.

Wolves2018

Reaction score
I think they need really educated book worms, nerds if you like who know the rules inside and out but with a impartial decision, just rules out of the book and that's it. Then decisions will be made on rules from the book instead of ifs,buts and maybes, the VAR refs are friends with the refs on pitch so it's not impartial as they don't want to make their mate look a fool, if Taylor didn't give that today VAR wouldn't have said its a penalty... it needs sorting drastically as its making a mockery of the prem league. The VAR team should be a separate entity to refs.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ask yourself, has your enjoyment of football been improved by VAR?
Apart from the odd correction it’s completely ruined the match day experience, the holy grail of celebrating a goal is now tempered while waiting to see if a pair of ****s in a portacabin 100 miles away give it a thumbs up or down like a Roman emporer.
I hate it, it’s ruining the game.
Goal line technology yes, Var nooooo, it’s had a fair crack if the whip now and isn’t improving
Totally this

greco wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Get rid of it. It hasn’t benefited the game at all. One **** up after another every week. It’s a **** take.

Goal line technology fine. Improved game and instant.

Var has human error and it’s magnified. Waste of time. Worse for fans in the ground

Bin it off.

NottsWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They don’t want to show up their mates.

This whole clear and obvious, an error is an error. All we ask is get the right decision.

Why is it, we mere football fans can watch an incident and come to a decision yet week after week they **** it up? Incompetence? Corruption?

Just ****ing bin it, I’m more angry at them not being able to watch something and get the right decision then when a ref made a mistake.

Jericho

Groupie
Reaction score
Call me petulant, but I ****ing loved the PL corruption chants tonight. I'd even encourage we sing it every game, boo every pre game PL anthem and boo every VAR consultation - for or against - **** them and let them know what we think of their bull****.

I also hate the myth that is promoted in the media and by former refs-come-TV personalities that the decisions even themselves out over the course of a season. Absolute ****ing nonsense. I genuinely can't remember the last "incorrect" VAR decision that has benefited us.

On a side note, just watching the Rugby, and the transparency is ****ing night and day. I don't fully understand rugby, but I can follow the reasoning for the decision making. But for some reason, football thinks it's too superior to have to explain itself.

Chuck Murray

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
So later in the game, when Sasa was literally bear-hugged from behind AND lifted while in the box, it is not a penalty.

But earlier in the match, when Schar is clearly on his way down before any contact with Hwang, that IS a penalty.

And a year ago, when Pope is last defender and hauls down Raul after being dispossessed, it's a "play on - no foul".

Gotcha. Glad we had a chance to clear this all up. Thanks.

Rigged.

floydstreet

Reaction score
Var is the answer
Technology works in cricket and rugby

It’s the application that is wrong, the obsession with not overturning the referee and not making them feel bad. This is where it’s wrong

Refereeing is hard really hard and funnily enough with an instant view in the heat of the moment, it’s harder to get it right than using technology that can slow it down and see multiple angles.

This is the point
Technology allows for ‘better decisions’, forget the clear and obvious nonsense that’s a non issue. Use var to help the referees make better decisions and var shouldn’t advise the ref, it should simply tell the referee that based on better angles, slowed down and more time we’ve reached a different decision.

The ref then just implements that decision simple. It’s how they do it in cricket. Stop treating the referees with such referential nonsense .

Technology helps, technology can make better decisions so let the technology decide if it’s correct or not. Not whether it’s clear and obvious.

Because what is clear and obvious is that video analysis and a little time, makes better decisions than one bloke dressed in black

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You could tell by how long the VAR ref looked at it that he wasn't convinced it was a penalty, but his hands were tied by the "clear and obvious" error standard.

I think they were doing everything to find the evidence needed that it wasn't a penalty, without actually being able to do anything about it. In that case it would have been far easier for the on pitch ref to ignore the challenge and then let VAR review to confirm it.
If he's got it wrong, they will tell him. But they can do **** all if he's left them with their hands tied.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The disallowed Burnley equalizer today is exactly why even the best possible version of VAR would still be completely hideous to football fans and the sport in general.

Imagine going all that way, seeing your team score a hugely important last minute goal, then waiting 4-5 minutes for it to be taken away for an offside call no fan in the world would have moaned about before of all this ****.

And even if it had ultimately been given, they've had that moment taken away really. A moment that is quite literally the best and main reason we go to games in the first place. All ruined by this. That's where this it's not VAR it's bla bla BS really annoys me. Because it is VAR that's the problem. Always was and always will be.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The offside lines are a great point, no one moaned about players being millimetres offside before VAR, there was a few glaring **** ups, but they were rare!

Now you’re gonna believe us
The premier league is corrupt

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Yes. Stops the calls like today, where the decision would never have been changed either way.

Current system puts too much emphasis on the original decision.

Today’s would have been, “I’m considering awarding a penalty, can you give me any reasons why I shouldn’t?”

“Yes, we don’t feel there’s enough contact to award the penalty”

Chuck Murray

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
... so here's a far more upfront and honest approach for the PL to take. Just admit there is subconscious bias, continue to roll with VAR as is, and just stake the disadvantaged sides with the following goals at the start of the match:

* Non-London team in the bottom half of last year's table, visiting Euro-qualifying sides: +1.0 goals
* Non-London team in the bottom half of last year's table, hosting Euro-qualifying sides: +0.5 goals
* Promoted team visiting Euro-qualifying sides: +2.0 goals
* Promoted team hosting Euro-qualifying sides: +1.5 goals

Probably make for a far more compelling set of contests, at least forcing the Big Six etc. to work harder to earn their corn ...

... or we could just tear down PGMOL, scrap VAR, and hire the best officials from around the world, those without subconscious bias??

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Unpopular opinion warning.

I don’t think VAR actually got anything wrong today.

[hides behind sofa]
The penalty for the ‘foul’ was a terrible decision - not by the ref because he saw it in real time, but the VAR had no excuse. There was no contact until Schar instigated it, despite the stupidity and carelessness of Hwang. By the same measure, should Sasa have been granted a penalty when wrestled off the ball near the end? I wouldn’t have given that either, but for the sake of consistency…

Back
Top Bottom