Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

New manager - specification

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I assume the search is already on for a manager to replace Connor when we go down. The spec for me would include:
Young and enthusiastic with strong personality
Plays football on the floor.
Experience of the CCC/or equivalent abroad
Proven backroom/support team
Network of contacts in Europe and uk.
Willing to blood youngsters

We need a man whose background/record is strong enough to persuade at least 2 of our 'stars' to stay on; is able to successfully integrate foreign players whilst giving youngsters (Baath?) a decent chance. He needs to have the force of character to be able to identify and move on at least 10 (?) of the current squad in quick time and replace them with new talent and this would include Hammill, Gued and Vokes - all 3 I believe could prosper under new leadership (as could Milijas?).
I don't know who is out there that meets this spec but imo this appt is as critical as the appt of MM all those years ago. Get it right we could get straight back up, get it wrong we could be floundring around in the CCC for many years.

D

Dewsburywolf

I think the "proven backroom/support team" bit might be a problem

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Head like a potato. You know he's coming..................

T

Tekkers-Slovakia

Next Wolves manager

OK I have been thinking about who we are actually going to appoint in the summer. Assuming we are now relegated, who is the man for the job?

Realistically, who does everyone want?

Are we going to be looking at free agents and ignoring good managers who might cost a million or two to get?

Is there any chance TC will continue as manager into next season? (I hope not)

They really need to get it right and appoint the right man after how badly they have dealt with Mick's sacking, followed by the horrific appointment of TC.

ProudWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I assume the search is already on for a manager to replace Connor when we go down. The spec for me would include:
Young and enthusiastic with strong personality
Plays football on the floor.
Experience of the CCC/or equivalent abroad
Proven backroom/support team
Network of contacts in Europe and uk.
Willing to blood youngsters

Sounds like Gus Poyet to me.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Initials are MM...

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
...and managed in a Wembley Cup Final this year...

Reaction score
Being young shouldn't come into it - though of course any older manager meeting this criteria will be able to do better than a Championship job.

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
A lot of that criteria fits Hughton. :)

I thought he was a defo come the end of the season....grapevine info and whatnot...

Kingswood Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Leeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Clarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrk

If he does get the job he owes me a pint as I pretty much post his name every day...

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The worst case scenario would be somehow Connor keeps us up and Morgan decides to give him a 3 year contract.

A

andyc225

Our new manager's name begins with M and ends with ick McCarthy. You heard it here first.

Chungster

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We're getting Big Sam after he gets the push from WHU. Convinced of it.

L

long ball man

'play on the floor'. See Crouch's goal yesterday did we?

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think I would want Houghton, but fully accept it will be Steve Bruce.

L

long ball man

This 'attractive football/play on the floor' as a necessity/prerequsite for the new manager really leaves me flummoxed.

You are all reacting to what you perceive to be a failed direct football approach of the previous manager. In actual fact over the last two months or so we have seen 'no style' and a lack of confidence, not ghoofball or long ball or direct play or anything else you care to mention.

You bring in a passing manager and you have to disassemble the whole playing staff and start from scratch. lunacy.

This is why we need a director of football so there is some continuity in the football side of 'the business'.

Anyone know much about Brendan Rodgers tenure at Reading? If not you should read up on it.

Strats

Reaction score
Anyone (within reason) other than Clark or Bruce ... just hope any appointment is swift, give any new manager chance to 'clear out' and get his own type of players in.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This 'attractive football/play on the floor' as a necessity/prerequsite for the new manager really leaves me flummoxed.

You are all reacting to what you perceive to be a failed direct football approach of the previous manager. In actual fact over the last two months or so we have seen 'no style' and a lack of confidence, not ghoofball or long ball or direct play or anything else you care to mention.

You bring in a passing manager and you have to disassemble the whole playing staff and start from scratch. lunacy.

This is why we need a director of football so there is some continuity in the football side of 'the business'.

Anyone know much about Brendan Rodgers tenure at Reading? If not you should read up on it.
The aim of my thread was not necessarily to come up with more names but how the spec looked. Thanks LBM for adding to this debate- interesting.

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Malky Mackay!
In the same mould as Lambert + Rodgers - a young manager on the up.

He's not really proved that much apart from the cup run that he's a manager on the up! Mark McGhee had proved more and look how that went!!!!

D

doog

Personally I will be happy if Morgan approach's the next appointment with a list of well thought through criteria, rather than... lets just appoint anyone who we can find a pulse on.

For me the main points would be.

Can coach, or can bring in some one who will coach proper modern football.

A manager who will build a team that will play the game in an attractive way, a way in which our supporters can not wait until Saturday comes around.

Honest, decent and dares to be different.

Has the same long term goals as the club.

If we work on the principle that like minded people usually attract like minded people, then Steve Morgan probably has the manager he deserves at present.

Change your pompous ways Steve,
Go out and get the best, and don't dare ask them what they can do for us.
Just ask what we can we do to help them make our club great again.

Oh, and Buy a ticket to Oslo ....

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
http://thetilehurstend.co.uk/2011/06/09/what-went-wrong-for-brendan-rodgers-at-reading-fc/

Re my last contribution this is exactly the type of danger of appointing a 'passing manager' after perceived 'hoofball.

An interesting article on Brendan Rodgers' tenure at Reading.

Pertinent.

Very good read, and you have hit on a very good point. It's not going to be easy to radically change the style unless we shift out most of the first team squad and although I expect us to lose Jarvis, Doyle, Fletcher, and Hen.

The vast bulk of the squad will still be here. The problem is that the likes of Ward, Edwards, Berra, Stearman, Foley, SEB, Henry , and Hunt are probably good enough to make a solid championship side. Probably not enough pace or goals to trouble the top two spots but play off material easy - but not playing a passing game!

Back
Top Bottom